PDA

View Full Version : Team GB & NI (Football)

Greentinted
31-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Having just heard the (English) commentator say during a digression on Olympic football during the USA v Brazil match, "England will be selecting Beckham as one of their three overage players for the Olympic games" I felt an ill-informed comment like that says all that needs to be said to illustrate why, in some quarters, the football Team GB & NI is anachronistic.
I got to thinking, with the games fast approaching, where does the majority lie now.

Haymaker
31-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Not a surprise to me. Never backed team England anyway.

Future17
31-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I want an independent Scotland (people may or may not feel that is relevant to the discussion) but, in the absence of such a concept, I choose to support my nation in sporting matters, so I fully support Team GB.

Hibbyradge
31-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Having just heard the (English) commentator say during a digression on Olympic football during the USA v Brazil match, "England will be selecting Beckham as one of their three overage players for the Olympic games" I felt an ill-informed comment like that says all that needs to be said to illustrate why, in some quarters, the football Team GB & NI is anachronistic.
I got to thinking, with the games fast approaching, where does the majority lie now.

It might be good to email a complaint to the show. I'm sure the Welsh and Irish will be annoyed too.

However, I'm going to try not to allow an ignorant commentator(s) to affect my judgement.

I'll be hoping Team GB & NI do well.

Pretty Boy
31-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Won't be supporting Team GB.

Not for any political reasons or whatever. Mainly just because I find the Olympics, with the exception of the amateur boxing, boring. They could be on in my own back garden and i probably wouldn't watch.

I don't watch athletics any other time so can't get into it for 3 weeks every 4 years. I like golf but thats not in it yet, I like football but the Olympics is hardly the pinnacle of the sport, boxing I've already covered and rowing, shooting, sailing, gymnastics etc is of no.interest to me at all.

That's not Team GB thing either, I'd feel exactly the same if it was Team Scotland.

bobbyhibs1983
31-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Pretty much agree with pretty boy.I have pretty much zerop intrest in the Olympics..As for the subject of supporting team gb, well i suppose for i have again zero intrest in team gb footie team or the winning medals and what not.

I dunno if it's just me but i dont see what all the fuss is about.I guess on one hand i guess its like the world cup for football ,the Olympics is to like whatever sports there are competining.

A lil off topic but i gather, and i could well be wrong but aren't the tickets for most of the things way over priced?
and well on the news a while back about getitng tickets and what not, i guess would put people off going.But then i have zero intrest in it now don't I:greengrin.

green&left
31-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Team GB in any sport means about as much to me as Hertz do. F*** em.

Hainan Hibs
31-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Will be supporting anyone up against Team GB:agree:

Spudster
31-05-2012, 01:38 PM

:agree:

HibsNutter
31-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Hope they get humped

Saorsa
31-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I truly couldn't give a monkeys chuff about Team GB. :agree:

neilmartinrocks
31-05-2012, 02:05 PM
It might be good to email a complaint to the show. I'm sure the Welsh and Irish will be annoyed too.

However, I'm going to try not to allow an ignorant commentator(s) to affect my judgement.

I'll be hoping Team GB & NI do well.

should get a wee sweepie on the go for how many times team gb is refered to as engerlund.:greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
31-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Could not really care but i want to see any scot competing do well so if that is a team event then i guess i will be supporting them :confused:

NAE NOOKIE
31-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Will watch any sport at the Olympics ... apart from the mens football which I have never thought belonged in the Olympics anyway. But now that they want a team GB football team there is no chance I would watch it. It will give interested parties the excuse they have been looking for to force the UK to field a joint team in the World Cup.

IMO any Scot who plays for team GB given what it could lead to is a stupid selfish moron who knows nothing about the politics of football.

Eyrie
31-05-2012, 07:03 PM
No problem here with any Scot who wants to play for Team GB, but I couldn't give that monkey's chuff about any team playing a sport that has no place in the Olympics.

easty
31-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I've nae problem with the plastic Scots playing for team GB, let's be honest they only play for us because Engerlund weren't calling them up. At least playing for team GB is them playing for their own country, the closest they'll get to living their dreams!

1two
31-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Who's in the squad?

Scouse Hibee
31-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Original :rolleyes:

Mon Dieu4
31-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Won't support the football team but in the other sports it depends on the athlete, there are some i like and others i couldn't care less about, would love to see Bolt seriously destroy the 100/200m records

Greentinted
01-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Interesting to note that the percentages remained almost uniformly consistent as the votes have increased.

On a side issue, looks like the Monkey's Chuff 100m relay is the biggest attraction. :greengrin

And PB, I took your advice, and if I get a response re the 'England' comment I'll post it here. Not going to hold my breath though.

clerriehibs
01-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Even ignoring the England p!sh, the fact that Beckham is even getting a sniff at an international spot just shows this up for the farce it is. Is it a ****** fashion show *** popularity contest or a serious Olympic sport? The whole UKpop culture thing is an embarrassment.

SteveHFC
01-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Who gives a **** :aok:

Broken Gnome
01-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Not to do with politics, just don't see why we should feel obliged to support a completely fabricated side with zero history on a one-off.

The 'footballing independence' line remains a convenient cover for 'not many Scots involved/vast majority of supporters won't back the side' stance of the SFA mind you. There's no way this would ever jeopardise Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Calm down everyone...

Ash Vale Hibee
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Eh, I'll be supporting Team GB in all sports........simple reason really, I'm British.

stokesmessiah
02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Original :rolleyes:

That is a pretty stupid comment, you are mocking the guy for being "original :rolleyes:", he never claimed to try to be original and voiced what a lot of people feel about it.

HKhibby
03-06-2012, 12:54 AM

surprised it was an English commentator who said this, he is also British as well, the same as the Scottish are, which will never change, but that is another story!, it is usually Thick Americans that cant tell the difference or what GB is!

s.a.m
03-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't really identify with the Team GB thing, and not for political reasons. In the sports that I watch, there will be people I want to see do well, and some of them will be British, some won't. Although I understand that many see the Olympics in patriotic terms, it just doesn't work for me that way. I see it more as a 'festival of sporting excellence'. Perhaps because the 'team' don't really have an identity as such, compared with other team events or sports.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
The more i sit down and think about this, the more i will support the football team. I do cheer when we win medals at the other sports.

I think when the olympics come around i will be the same as usual, and cheering on any brit who is running, jumping, throwing or swimming. And when they play football, i'd imagine i will be doing the same?

neilmartinrocks
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
surprised it was an English commentator who said this, he is also British as well, the same as the Scottish are, which will never change, but that is another story!, it is usually Thick Americans that cant tell the difference or what GB is!

was it not an english commentator who changed david wilkies nationality 3-4 times during a race?
:greengrin

yeezus.
04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
No way would I support team GB. The Olympics don't interest me anyway. I will be rooting for Eire in the Euro's though.:flag:

yeezus.
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Even ignoring the England p!sh, the fact that Beckham is even getting a sniff at an international spot just shows this up for the farce it is. Is it a ****** fashion show *** popularity contest or a serious Olympic sport? The whole UKpop culture thing is an embarrassment.

:top marks

DH1875
04-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Lost count the amount of times I've heard some numpty on talksport refer to the team as England/English. Noticed that Craig Bellamy is saying he's in the squad.

davhibby
04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
The only time I'm interested is if there is a scot taking part in the olympics anyway so no interest in the football. Might just watch it to see them gettin humped:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2012, 07:02 PM
That is a pretty stupid comment, you are mocking the guy for being "original :rolleyes:", he never claimed to try to be original and voiced what a lot of people feel about it.

Haha

CentreLine
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I want an independent Scotland (people may or may not feel that is relevant to the discussion) but, in the absence of such a concept, I choose to support my nation in sporting matters, so I fully support Team GB.

:agree: