PDA

View Full Version : Not a peep out of Hibs? Other teams are signing some players. (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2012, 08:16 AM
About any potential signings :confused:

Please don't tell me it's the "Hibs way" again as we need a totally new outlook to the way this club is run. :rolleyes:

Even Greggs is dead quiet :worried:

bighairyfaeleith
30-05-2012, 08:19 AM
it's no even june yet ya bawbag:LOL:

R'Albin
30-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Failing to sign any players outside of the window :rolleyes:

PETRIE!! :grr:

hibsbollah
30-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I heard a rumour that some of the shyster players are on HOLIDAY as well. In the summer break no less. Petrie also has the gall to drive to work in a CAR, when if he just took the bus we could put it towards better players :grr:

Lmc2105
30-05-2012, 08:24 AM
It won't be johnny hayes! Signed a 2 year deal with aberdeen! Source - bbc jurno liam micleod on twitter,

Good signing,

HH81
30-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I also can't believe HIBERNIAN-0762 isn't wearing the new kit or booked his pre-seaon trips.

Come on the club get this sorted, now. :greengrin

Chill out it's not June yet everyone :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2012, 08:30 AM
I was on about rumors laddies! is that clear enough?

:rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Failing to sign any players outside of the window :rolleyes:

PETRIE!! :grr:

But it didn't stop St Johnstone signing a guy from newly promoted Ross County did it?

Hibbyradge
30-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Make some up, then.

HH81
30-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Hibs to sign Alan Smith from Newcastle who was on loan at MK Dons last season. :agree:

Kenny1875
30-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Aberdeen's twitter page now saying they've agreed a deal for Hayes. Oh well

jodjam
30-05-2012, 08:44 AM
But it didn't stop St Johnstone signing a guy from newly promoted Ross County did it?

Just because we haven't signed anyone disnae mean there is no activity going on. I'm sure offers will be out to players via agents. Worrying yourself that there "is not a peep" from Hibs is just daft.

Hibbyradge
30-05-2012, 08:45 AM
There is a three page thread about transfer rumours on the Private Members board.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2012, 08:48 AM
We are in for Naysmith at rangers, apparently we have offered £1.3m

CallumLaidlaw
30-05-2012, 08:54 AM

And Jonny Hayes says he hasn't signed for anyone

Kenny1875
30-05-2012, 08:56 AM

He also says he doesn't have his sim card yet is tweeting from an iPhone. Pretty sure you can only connect to the Internet in a phone with the sim card in.

andrew70
30-05-2012, 08:57 AM
He also says he doesn't have his sim card yet is tweeting from an iPhone. Pretty sure you can only connect to the Internet in a phone with the sim card in.

Might not be his phone. He seems quite annoyed by it all.

truehibernian
30-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Aberdeen have released a statement saying after going about things in a professional manner, they are delighted to announce he's agreed a two year deal, whilst the player is minutes ago saying he hasn't signed for anyone and won't decide until getting back........jumping the gun, or player and agent playing poker ?

Steve-O
30-05-2012, 09:05 AM
We are in for Naysmith at rangers, apparently we have offered £1.3m

I heard we've offered 9p in the £ for him :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Worrying yourself that there "is not a peep" from Hibs is just daft.

Really.....:wink:

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I heard we've offered 9p in the £ for him :agree:

:greengrin

YehButNoBut
30-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Looks like Gregory Tade is on his way to St Johnstone, would be a good signing for us :rolleyes:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/st-johnstone/103871-gregory-tade-ready-to-swap-inverness-caledonian-thistle-for-st-johnstone/

c31
30-05-2012, 10:17 AM

You can use a wireless network, doesn’t need a sim.

Stevie Reid
30-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Looks like Gregory Tade is on his way to St Johnstone, would be a good signing for us :rolleyes:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/st-johnstone/103871-gregory-tade-ready-to-swap-inverness-caledonian-thistle-for-st-johnstone/

An indication that Steve Lomas (correctly) knows the value of pace in the SPL, as Tade is known as being very quick, but also a very poor finisher. Plenty of players like that out there, I wouldn't worry about us not signing Tade.

In fact, if we had signed the 3 players that St. Johnstone have already (Scobbie from Falkirk, RB from Ross County, and Tade), this place would probably be in meltdown.

Stevie Reid
30-05-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18262722

Aberdeen say winger Jonny Hayes has agreed a move from SPL rivals Inverness CT.
The Dons said the 24-year-old, whose contract with the Highland outfit expires in the summer, had agreed a two-year deal.
Aberdeen chief executive Duncan Fraser said: "Jonny was a key target and we're delighted.
"I'm pleased to say he has chosen Aberdeen ahead of a number of potential clubs."
Former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international Hayes joined Caley Thistle in July 2009 after leaving Leicester City.
Fraser told Aberdeen's official website that the club had met Hayes's agent Des Byrne before the last game of the season.
"Both Jonny and his agent felt that this was the right move for him," Fraser added.
Hayes, the club added, would sign for the Dons on his return from holiday.

CallumLaidlaw
30-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Yet Hayes continues to say he won't make a decision till after his holidays

Stevie Reid
30-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Yet Hayes continues to say he won't make a decision till after his holidays

:agree:

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Tade-set-to-depart-but-no-decision-from-Hayes.htm

GREGORY Tade is understood to be close to agreeing a two-year deal with St Johnstone, but Jonny Hayes has rebuffed reports he is to sign for Aberdeen, despite the Dons maintaining otherwise.The French forward, who finished last season as Caley Thistle's top scorer on nine goals, has stated that playing European football was a big factor in his decision to sign for the Saints after spending just one season in the Highland Capital.Tade, who was offered a new deal by Inverness, is expecting to sign for the Perth club within the next 24 hours.The news of Tade's departure is another blow for Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher, who has already seen Greg Tansey turn down the chance to stay with Inverness, instead opting to join English League One side Stevenage last week.However, Inverness may still be in with a chance of keeping hold of winger Hayes, who took to Twitter to deny a story that he had agreed to join Aberdeen."I must have a doppelganger because I've managed to sign for teams even though I'm halfway across the world," said Hayes, who is currently on holiday in Thailand."I have not signed for Aberdeen. My agent was speaking to them before I went on holiday 10 days ago. I'll know what's happening when I get back."He also posted that he would not be making a decision on his future until he returns in mid-June.Aberdeen, however, released the following statement on their official club website today insisting Hayes had put pen to papaer on a two-year deal."We met with Jonny's agent Des Byrne prior to the last game of the season and both Jonny and his agent felt that this was the right move for him," said Aberdeen chief executive Duncan Fraser."Negotiations were carried out in an extremely professional way and I am pleased to say he has chosen Aberdeen ahead of a number of potential clubs."Butcher has given Hayes and his other out of contract players, which include Thomas Piermayr, Kenny Gillet, Chris Hogg, Ross Tokely, Owain Tudur Jones and Billy McKay, a deadline of tomorrow to give him an indication of whether or not they will be accepting the deals Caley Thistle have tabled.

Sean1875
30-05-2012, 10:43 AM

We were pretty heavily linked with Tade last summer. I wasn't disappointed we didnt get him then, and im not disappointed we wont be getting him now. :agree:

hibee92
30-05-2012, 11:18 AM
So begins the "another we've missed out on" saga :greengrin

JCHibby
30-05-2012, 11:25 AM
We were pretty heavily linked with Tade last summer. I wasn't disappointed we didnt get him then, and im not disappointed we wont be getting him now. :agree:

I have more skill in my broken left duke than Tade will ever have. If we sign a player of that quality the games a bogey!

scoopyboy
30-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Nope, not clear at all.

Are you looking for Hibs to start rumours as the OP would suggest this?

If its rumours you are after then you must have been posted missing for a while if you have not picked up on Tim Clancy, Paul Cairney, James McPake, Jonny Hayes, Steve Jennings.

DH1875
30-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Hibs to sign Alan Smith from Newcastle who was on loan at MK Dons last season. :agree:

Could be wrong but I think he's a free agent this summer.

Stupid question but IF we've got the 4th biggest budget in the SPL, why do we keep losing out on players to the sheep. It's not as if their any better than us :confused:.

:agree:.

marinello59
30-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Stupid question but IF we've got the 4th biggest budget in the SPL, why do we keep losing out on players to the sheep. It's not as if their any better than us :confused:.

Did we lose out to them here? Was Hayes a definite signing target for Pat Fenlon? :confused:

BEEJ
30-05-2012, 11:42 AM

:agree: Plus Scobbie from Falkirk.

There is some limited transfer activity out there despite it still being only May.

matty_f
30-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Because we have to use that 4th best budget (if it even is that) to replace more or less an entire team, therefore there high amount gets spread thinner.

NeilOrrSquareBa
30-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Because we have to use that 4th best budget (if it even is that) to replace more or less an entire team, therefore there high amount gets spread thinner.

And mibbie, just mibbie he didnae want to a come to a just got gashed in the cup final, no hopers/soft touch/party monsters/wound lickin'/moaning fans/ devastated fitba team!:grr:

Viva_Palmeiras
30-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I have more skill in my broken left duke than Tade will ever have. If we sign a player of that quality the games a bogey!

Tut tut - phrase only to be used in connection with Rangers getting off scot-free.

Macaroon
30-05-2012, 01:14 PM

You MUST be joking :faf:

PatHead
30-05-2012, 01:25 PM
And mibbie, just mibbie he didnae want to a come to a just got gashed in the cup final, no hopers/soft touch/party monsters/wound lickin'/moaning fans/ devastated fitba team!:grr:

or maybe he wasn't up for the fight with the new breed of tee-total, hard nosed, church tea partying, professional, athletic, Fenlon fearing Hibs players

Littlest Hobo
30-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Two bus loads of Irish shinty players spotted with the Tash, signings imminent.

Kaiser1962
30-05-2012, 05:13 PM

It may be because they spend more than us? And we dont have the 4th biggest budget, nor the fouth biggest income for that matter. Not that this will put a stop to it though.

lylasmasterplan
30-05-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18248439

After a summer where 21 players left the club Preston have already brought in 11 new players. Most, if not all of the players, have experience at that level and some at a higher level.

These players will now have from the start of pre-season to gel as a team and get to know each other.

This is surely a route we should be following no??

snooky
30-05-2012, 05:17 PM

After a summer where 21 players left the club Preston have already brought in 11 new players. Most, if not all of the players, have experience at that level and some at a higher level.

These players will now have from the start of pre-season to gel as a team and get to know each other.

Naw, better stick with the Hibs 'tried and tested' method of scraping the bucket on the last day of the window - works a treat. :wink:

heretoday
30-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Sounds good but at the end of the day Mr Petrie has to come up with the cash to buy players and not just box and cox with free transfers and loanee types.

basehibby
30-05-2012, 05:29 PM

:agree::top marks For far too long the first month of the season seems to have been treated as an extension of pre-season at ER - more often than not we haven't got anything like a complete side until about 4 or 5 games into the season and it's probably mid-November before they even know each other's names :rolleyes:

This season especially though there is a massive amount of work to be done and we simply cannot afford to let the grass grow under our feet.

VickMackie
30-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Could this work by ditching all the dross, with payouts, and offer new players a wage on a sliding scale up the way to get over the first year of low wages? It could work on a 3 year contract but we could get stuck with more dross!

Andy74
30-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I think it's just important to get the right players with the right characters. I couldn't care if they come in tomorrow or the last day of the window. We need to build the foundations of this club again and that needs to last, it's not just to see us through the first few games.

Take the last window, not many of the fans on here shared the patience to wait for McPake.

BoltonHibee
30-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I think it's just important to get the right players with the right characters. I couldn't care if they come in tomorrow or the last day of the window. We need to build the foundations of this club again and that needs to last, it's not just to see us through the first few games.

Take the last window, not many of the fans on here shared the patience to wait for McPake.

Ideally if they were in early, they could have a proper per season together or at least the majority of them. The way we go about our business we have players playing games to try and get fit, it doesn't work!!

lylasmasterplan
30-05-2012, 05:41 PM
PNE seem to be targeting players they know have experience at that level, so as well as getting the numbers in early the players are also proven so there's no learning curve.

For all too long the players we've targeted have been more in hope than anything else. I'd love to see the amount of players that have come and gone since Tony Mowbray left the club.

The final this year involved only two players from the 2007 CIS team, Lewis and Ivan, with the latter having left and then rejoined.

What we need is stability, 2-3 deals for proven players. A huge ask but until it happens there's no way we'll move forward.

frazeHFC
30-05-2012, 05:57 PM
They got relegated and only came 15th this season, so hopefully not in football terms!

lylasmasterplan
30-05-2012, 06:06 PM
They got relegated and only came 15th this season, so hopefully not in football terms!

In releasing 21 players and buying early looks it like they are trying to wrong those rights. We've released a huge number of players but done absolutely nothing about bringing anyone in!

frazeHFC
30-05-2012, 06:16 PM
In releasing 21 players and buying early looks it like they are trying to wrong those rights. We've released a huge number of players but done absolutely nothing about bringing anyone in!

I shoulda read the first post, i just saw the title. :tee hee:

lylasmasterplan
30-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I shoulda read the first post, i just saw the title. :tee hee:

All is forgiven ;)

Part/Time Supporter
30-05-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323330/Hibernian-boss-Pat-Fenlon-wants-to-give-Mark-Brown-new-deal

After the stuff about M Brown,

Fenlon is also in the market for another goalkeeper after he released Graham Stack last week.

The Hibs boss also let Garry O’Connor and club captain Ian Murray go and is actively trying to strengthen his squad with James McPake, Motherwell defender Tim Clancy and Partick Thistle midfielder Paul Cairney on the radar along with Irish winger Johnny Hayes, although he has been offered a new deal by Inverness and contracts from Aberdeen and Hartlepool.

PeterboroHibee
30-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Obviously it isnt time to panic about us not getting anyone signed up, the window isnt even open yet, but it is disappointing that quite a few other SPL teams, with better squads than us, are getting players tied up already. After such a terrible season the fans just need a bit of a lift from the club, such as announcing friendlies, a kit release and especially players coming in, and we havent heard anything.

lucky
30-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Most players, managers and agent are on holiday just now. It will pick in the next couple of weeks

Onion
30-05-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323330/Hibernian-boss-Pat-Fenlon-wants-to-give-Mark-Brown-new-deal

After the stuff about M Brown,

Wouldn't it be great for once (or at least a v long time) if some of our first pick targets were to choose Hibs over the likes of Aberdeen, DUFC, ST J etc early in the transfer window. When was the last time we felt the rush of beating the opposition to a key player ( erm, lets ignore Claros and RFC :wink:). IMHO in order for Hibs to believe they are a top 4 club, they have to act like a top 4 club. Sadly for Mr Petrie that means having the balls to make the right decisions quickly, having the faith of your convictions and taking risks (e.g. 3/4 year deals for players who we know are the core of Hibs future v low risk short term loan deals). Hibs have been treading water for the last few years. If ever there was a need/opportunity for the Board to step up and sort the club out, this is it.

Onion
30-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Obviously it isnt time to panic about us not getting anyone signed up, the window isnt even open yet, but it is disappointing that quite a few other SPL teams, with better squads than us, are getting players tied up already. After such a terrible season the fans just need a bit of a lift from the club, such as announcing friendlies, a kit release and especially players coming in, and we havent heard anything.

Other than actions, what ease do Hibs fans have to hang their hopes on ? Our record over the last 2-3 years of trading players during transfer windows has been abysmal (last summer capped the lot). And we hardly have a strong, clear Statement of Intent from our owner or chairman. It little wonder Hibs fans are anxious about seeing early signs. Every Hibs fans knows we are miles behind other teams in terms of quality to start with. We have just lost the players who just managed to save our SPL skins. The competition has already started signing their top picks.

Put it this way, watching our club trade in the transfer market over the last few years is like watching Hibs on the pitch - not sure exactly whats going on, second to every ball, lack of conviction and giving the impression of not really being that bothered. As many have said, the culture of the club needs to change. We need to see a different approach on and off the pitch and it is is the off-field activity that will set the scene for what we can expect on it in the new season.

down-the-slope
30-05-2012, 09:39 PM
The Hibs boss also let Garry O’Connor and club captain Ian Murray go and is actively trying to strengthen his squad with James McPake, Motherwell defender Tim Clancy and Partick Thistle midfielder (http://www.hibs.net/#) Paul Cairney on the radar along with Irish winger Johnny Hayes, although he has been offered a new deal by Inverness and contracts from Aberdeen and Hartlepool.

Have I missed this :rolleyes:

yeezus.
30-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I thought Tade looked quite good when he was with Stranraer (right enough it was SFL football).

iwasthere1972
30-05-2012, 10:20 PM
The Hibs boss also let Garry O’Connor and club captain Ian Murray go and is actively trying to strengthen his squad with James McPake, Motherwell defender Tim Clancy and Partick Thistle midfielder (http://www.hibs.net/#) Paul Cairney on the radar along with Irish winger Johnny Hayes, although he has been offered a new deal by Inverness and contracts from Aberdeen and Hartlepool.

He's looking for a lucrative move abroad. Maybe Brazil where he'll be free from extradition to the UK. :greengrin

BEEJ
30-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Nope. This has yet to be officially confirmed.

Kyle A
30-05-2012, 10:29 PM
He's looking for a lucrative move abroad. Maybe Brazil where he'll be free from extradition to the UK. :greengrin

Heard he was thinking of signing for Santa Fe. Columbia has lovely weather apparently.

AlbertK86
31-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Still not a peep..... No squad but hey ho those with squads picking up players and making announcements

Usual Hibs ... Not surprised...

Hoping for a miracle ... Starting tomorrow with two or three signings .....

PeterboroHibee
31-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Still not a peep..... No squad but hey ho those with squads picking up players and making announcements

Usual Hibs ... Not surprised...

Hoping for a miracle ... Starting tomorrow with two or three signings .....

I wouldnt hold your breath. Theres nothing stopping the club announcing players signing now, plenty of other SPL seems to be getting deals sorted, we just cant seem to get our act together. Bit annoying considering we dont have a squad that would be able to compete in the first division, let alone the SPL. Think a lot of the deals the other SPL clubs have completed have been quite shrewd, either up and coming SFL players or guys who have experience in the SPL. Quite frustrating as a few of them would have been ideal for us imo.

Hope Im wrong however and we can actually announce some signings soon...

Cropley10
31-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt hold your breath. Theres nothing stopping the club announcing players signing now, plenty of other SPL seems to be getting deals sorted, we just cant seem to get our act together. Bit annoying considering we dont have a squad that would be able to compete in the first division, let alone the SPL. Think a lot of the deals the other SPL clubs have completed have been quite shrewd, either up and coming SFL players or guys who have experience in the SPL. Quite frustrating as a few of them would have been ideal for us imo.

You need to remember we made a loss last season and were on track to make an even bigger one this season past. Don't think you'll see much spending, likely we'll be waiting til nearer the end of the window to sign players

hopefulhibby
31-05-2012, 05:38 PM
or maybe he wasn't up for the fight with the new breed of tee-total, hard nosed, church tea partying, professional, athletic, Fenlon fearing Hibs players
What do you mean Fenlon fearing, i thought a player has to respect a manager not fear him, look what happened in the 2nd half of the cup final after PF gave the players an ear bashing, PF must behave a lot different than he did when he was a LOI manager, it seems even his loan signings had no respect for him, EG Matt Doherty or he would have not spoken out the way he did, i think Doherty left hibs with a lot of bitterness, i dont know why because he was given a great opportunity for 1st team football

Alfred E Newman
31-05-2012, 05:40 PM
You need to remember we made a loss last season and were on track to make an even bigger one this season past. Don't think you'll see much spending, likely we'll be waiting til nearer the end of the window to sign players
As usual!

AlbertK86
31-05-2012, 06:18 PM

I wisnae I was being sarcky ... It will be the usual wait til the last minute dross signings in August .... Once we've lost the first 3 games !!!

truehibernian
31-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a feeling we will hit the ground running this season. Fenlon in charge, no pre-season calderwoodesque nonsense, leaner, fitter squad - better players in, and a few young players blooded.

More season ticket holders, a new beginning.....I can't wait and it's only May.

I honestly think the cup result has galvanised the support......I get the sense that the fans are falling back in love with Hibs again, thanks to the semi, Dunfy game and final (pre kick off admittedly ;-) )

I really trust PF to get it right this season coming.

hibsbollah
31-05-2012, 06:25 PM
What do you mean Fenlon fearing, i thought a player has to respect a manager not fear him, look what happened in the 2nd half of the cup final after PF gave the players an ear bashing, PF must behave a lot different than he did when he was a LOI manager, it seems even his loan signings had no respect for him, EG Matt Doherty or he would have not spoken out the way he did, i think Doherty left hibs with a lot of bitterness, i dont know why because he was given a great opportunity for 1st team football

Doherty is by all accounts a bit of a cock, so i wouldnt read much into that. Fenlon is a disciplinarian first and foremost, and after the old pals network of Mixu and (especially) Yogi and the couldnt gie a monkeys management of calderwood, its a good thing.

stantonhibby
31-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I have a feeling we will hit the ground running this season. Fenlon in charge, no pre-season calderwoodesque nonsense, leaner, fitter squad - better players in, and a few young players blooded.

More season ticket holders, a new beginning.....I can't wait and it's only May.

I honestly think the cup result has galvanised the support......I get the sense that the fans are falling back in love with Hibs again, thanks to the semi, Dunfy game and final (pre kick off admittedly ;-) )

I really trust PF to get it right this season coming.

that is far too positive a post :thumbsup:

hopefulhibby
31-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Doherty is by all accounts a bit of a cock, so i wouldnt read much into that. Fenlon is a disciplinarian first and foremost, and after the old pals network of Mixu and (especially) Yogi and the couldnt gie a monkeys management of calderwood, its a good thing.
If Fenlon is such a disciplinarian why didn't he discipline Griffiths when he threw a bib in his face and called him an knob head, players want a manager they can communicate with and relate too, not a DISCIPLINARIAN look where it got AVB at Chelsea, you are living in a bygone era if you believe in that type of management for today's players, i think respect is the word your looking for.

Lucius Apuleius
01-06-2012, 05:51 AM
As a matter of interest could someone give us a full breakdown of the confirmed deals brokered by other clubs yet?

Part/Time Supporter
01-06-2012, 06:01 AM
As a matter of interest could someone give us a full breakdown of the confirmed deals brokered by other clubs yet?

BBC list (mostly English) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/transfers/)

yes, it's wikipedia, but they're all sourced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_football_transfers_summer_2012)

The only (moderately) impressive activity so far is United picking up two of the better players in SFL1 (Millar and Gardyne).

Lucius Apuleius
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM

yes, it's wikipedia, but they're all sourced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_football_transfers_summer_2012)

The only (moderately) impressive activity so far is United picking up two of the better players in SFL1 (Millar and Gardyne).

Very interesting, so no SPL teams have actually bought anyone yet and three have taken people on frees? Nah, don't think I will start to panic yet.

HH81
01-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Jamie Vardy [Fleetwood - Leicester City] £1m Crazy.

Really wish I had told hibs about him before he moved from Halifax to Fleetwood. He was worth a gamble as he was running the show at halifax. :agree:

Geo_1875
01-06-2012, 07:13 AM
If Fenlon is such a disciplinarian why didn't he discipline Griffiths when he threw a bib in his face and called him an knob head, players want a manager they can communicate with and relate too, not a DISCIPLINARIAN look where it got AVB at Chelsea, you are living in a bygone era if you believe in that type of management for today's players, i think respect is the word your looking for.

Do you really believe that pish or are you giving up pretending to be a Hibs supporter?

Anyway, the windows been open for more than 8 hours now and we've still not announced any signings. Admittedly those 8 hours have been the middle of the night so maybe I'll hold off panicking too much.

marinello59
01-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Do you really believe that pish or are you giving up pretending to be a Hibs supporter?

Anyway, the windows been open for more than 8 hours now and we've still not announced any signings. Admittedly those 8 hours have been the middle of the night so maybe I'll hold off panicking too much.

Hopeful seems to hate Fenlon far more than he loves Hibs. :greengrin

marinello59
01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

So not much is really happening anywhere yet we should be in full scale panic mode according to some. I want to see early business done this time around but suggesting we are already lagging behind is ridiculous.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 07:28 AM
#Stjohnstone expect to seal deal for ex- #Stmirren striker Nigel Hasselbaink today. See the Express. #sjfc #saints #buddies

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Striker David Healy expects to leave #rangers - while #kilmarnock and #stjohnstone are both keen to land him. http://t.co/r9yXauIr Express

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Stephen Dobbie 's agent claims #celtic are monitoring the situation of the #swanseacity striker http://t.co/SHFSAoJb Today's Express

PeterboroHibee
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
#Stjohnstone expect to seal deal for ex- #Stmirren striker Nigel Hasselbaink today. See the Express. #sjfc #saints #buddies

I find it strange we dont appear to be in for any of these sort of players. There are so many SPL players available who better teams than us are keen on signing, and as far as Im aware we have been properly linked with one (Clancy). We have one striker at the club in Doyle, could we not have used a player like Hasselbaink? He isnt a prolific goalscorer but he has a lot of pace (something we are really lacking), works hard and has played in this league.

I also see Neil Alexander can leave Rangers on a free today. No idea what his wage demands would be (probably well out of our league) or his ambitions, but he would be a vast improvement on what we have.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 07:43 AM
We don't seem to be fans of proven spl players at Hibs do we!

Renfrew_Hibby
01-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I think a lot of players maybe reluctent to come to Hibs. If we dont start the season well the Fenlon will be under pressure (in the media at least) and we now have a reputation for punting managers and what player wants to commit to that when 4 or 5 months in it could be all change again?
Also the club is on a downer and even more so now after May 19th.

SteveHFC
01-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Striker David Healy expects to leave #rangers - while #kilmarnock and #stjohnstone are both keen to land him. http://t.co/r9yXauIr Express

Would like us to sign him

Kato
01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
you are living in a bygone era

You're living without your medication.

PeterboroHibee
01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I think a lot of players maybe reluctent to come to Hibs. If we dont start the season well the Fenlon will be under pressure (in the media at least) and we now have a reputation for punting managers and what player wants to commit to that when 4 or 5 months in it could be all change again?
Also the club is on a downer and even more so now after May 19th.

Whilst there is some truth in that, if we showed a bit of enthusiasm to sign players and were competitive in the wages we offer, then theres no reason why we shouldnt be able to attract players.

Any player coming in would also know that every first team spot is more or less available with little competition already at the club, so there is also a good chance for them to get as many games as possible.

Hibs7
01-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Hibs need to show that they mean business, signing McPake would be a good start.

DH1875
01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Hibs need to show that they mean business, signing McPake would be a good start.

Should have been done first thing this morning :agree:.

scoopyboy
01-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Should have been done first thing this morning :agree:.

Yep, we should have sent a couple of heavies over and dragged him away from the Northern Ireland camp before he ran the risk of getting injured against Holland on his international debut.

We also should have just ignored that he is still contracted to CCFC.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Jeroen Tesselaar’s agent confident of completing deal with Kilmarnock over the weekend http://t.co/6YrGY1dj STV Online

AlbertK86
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
So do we think Cairney and Clancy have signed or not. Surely if they had it would have been announced now that the window is open

HibbyAndy
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
So do we think Cairney and Clancy have signed or not. Surely if they had it would have been announced now that the window is open

A thot the windae doesn't open till July1st?

AlbertK86
01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Thought it was today

bingo70
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM

A thot the windae doesn't open till July1st?

Thought it was today

It's irrelevant when it opens as there's no games between now and when it does officially open.

Anyone we sign now would just be a pre-contract and would come into effect when the transfer window opens.

PeterboroHibee
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
It's irrelevant when it opens as there's no games between now and when it does officially open.

Anyone we sign now would just be a pre-contract and would come into effect when the transfer window opens.

The window is open today, so anyone who hasnt signed a contract with their club is now a free agent.

Littlest Hobo
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Heard Petrie is on Holiday in the south if France til Friday next week.

Steve-O
02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Christ, here we go again. We must be the team in most desperate need of players and yet here are Kilmarnock and St Johnstone siging players who could surely do not a bad job for us? :rolleyes:

The same EVERY year.

smurf
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
What concerns me, is do we have a long list of identified targets, or are we yet again, at the mercy of agents pitching their 'talents'?

scoopyboy
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Christ, here we go again. We must be the team in most desperate need of players and yet here are Kilmarnock and St Johnstone siging players who could surely do not a bad job for us? :rolleyes:

The same EVERY year.

So we should sign players now because Kilmarnock and St.Johnstone are?

Virtually everyone has agreed we need quality over quantity yet you want players who could do not a bad job in your opinion.

FWIW Tade is not someone we should even have considered for the infamous Tam McCourt role.

scoopyboy
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
What concerns me, is do we have a long list of identified targets, or are we yet again, at the mercy of agents pitching their 'talents'?

I believe we do have a list of targets and two have already been signed.

I hope you forgive Hibs for not publishing the list or calling a press conference to announce who our targets are.

MSK
02-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Virtually everyone has agreed we need quality over quantity yet you want players who could do not a bad job in your opinion.

FWIW Tade is not someone we should even have considered for the infamous Tam McCourt role.:agree:Be prepared for post after post/thread after thread of St Mirren signed X ..why didnt we go for him ..Kilmarnock signed Y ...why didnt we go for him ..Aberdeen signed Z ..why didnt we go for him ..:blah:

BEEJ
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Must admit to having some sympathy with Steve-O here. The scale of our squad re-building task is far greater than just about any other SPL side. Yet in terms of getting new players secured we sound like we are once again slower out of the blocks.

This has been the pattern in previous seasons - certainly since the summer window of 2007 - and for all the arguments advanced as to why we take that approach, it's clearly not been working to our advantage.

Great to hear! Be even better, though, if it was officially confirmed. I wonder why this news has not yet been announced.

Heaven knows, the support could do with a morale boost.

Steve-O
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM

FWIW Tade is not someone we should even have considered for the infamous Tam McCourt role.

Who said anything about Tade?

We should sign players because we are absolutely desperate. The two players I refer to seem to have had good reviews and a 'not bad' job would certainly be a step up from the 'utterly *****' jobs that most of our current lot have been doing, no?

I am just concerned that like every other pre season I can remember, other teams are starting to announce signings, whereas Hibs are not announcing any. This type of argument occurs on the messageboard every year at this time, and for about the last 4 years it is my side of the argument that has proven to be right.

I await news of these two signings you say we have made...

bingo70
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
:agree:Be prepared for post after post/thread after thread of St Mirren signed X ..why didnt we go for him ..Kilmarnock signed Y ...why didnt we go for him ..Aberdeen signed Z ..why didnt we go for him ..:blah:

Your right, that is what happens every year and normally I'd be on your side, however the last few seasons its turned out the people who have been saying what you've said have been right so who's to say they're not right again this year?

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM

I hope you forgive Hibs for not publishing the list or calling a press conference to announce who our targets are.

No reason to doubt you scoops, and glad to hear we have signed a couple of players. I wonder why we are keeping it quiet though?

I know in the past we have had press conferences to show off 3 4 and 5 players at once, but now we are currently at a real low and any signing announced would be good news and help raise the mood of the fans.

I'm not sure announcing 2 or 3 at once has the same affect as singular signings?

We as a club need some good news, and keeping any signings we have made from us does not make any sense in my opinion?

smurf
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Of course! I think though that the support is perhaps entitled to and excused a little anxiety after the last few years.
The important matter is getting it right this summer.

MSK
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Your right, that is what happens every year and normally I'd be on your side, however the last few seasons its turned out the people who have been saying what you've said have been right so who's to say they're not right again this year?Its the hysteria that follows Bingo, yes we do have to totally rebuild our side & Ive no doubt Fenlon knows what & who is required ..however ..when another SPL club seem to show an interest or sign another player its always .."we should have signed him" ..."we have lost out on another signing"..."Petrie penny pinching" ....you know the rest ..

Steve-O
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Its the hysteria that follows Bingo, yes we do have to totally rebuild our side & Ive no doubt Fenlon knows what & who is required ..however ..when another SPL club seem to show an interest or sign another player its always .."we should have signed him" ..."we have lost out on another signing"..."Petrie penny pinching" ....you know the rest ..

And what exactly is wrong with any of those arguments given what's gone on the last few years?

You've "no doubt" that Fenlon knows what is required? I admire your confidence, not sure I share it though.

bingo70
02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Its the hysteria that follows Bingo, yes we do have to totally rebuild our side & Ive no doubt Fenlon knows what & who is required ..however ..when another SPL club seem to show an interest or sign another player its always .."we should have signed him" ..."we have lost out on another signing"..."Petrie penny pinching" ....you know the rest ..

If we always do what we've always done we'll always get what we've always got so as much as I agree with you I can forgive fans for being anxious about another transfer window going the same as the previous ones when all the indications are the same.

I'm fed up of talk from hibs I want action and so far all we've had is talk, I want to see the club showing they've learned from previous transfer window **** ups and right now I'm not seeing that.

MSK
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
And what exactly is wrong with any of those arguments given what's gone on the last few years?

You've "no doubt" that Fenlon knows what is required? I admire your confidence, not sure I share it though.Some players we lost out on last season were average to say the least, granted Aberdeen etc finished above us but some of the so-called players we "lost out" on hardly set the heather on fire did they ..?

Fenlon will know that more "Mr Averages" just aint gonna be enough ..A to appease the fans & B to challenge for honours or at best finish in a respectable league position next season, we had a team full of them last season & we cant afford to make the same mistake this time round....I trust he will sign the right player this time..no chance of world beaters but hopefully a damn site better than we had last season...:agree:

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
The window has been open for a day. Two teams out of the top 12 have signed someone. Don't think it is time to panic yet.

BEEJ
02-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Some players we lost out on last season were average to say the least, granted Aberdeen etc finished above us but some of the so-called players we "lost out" on hardly set the heather on fire did they ..?

Fenlon will know that more "Mr Averages" just aint gonna be enough ..A to appease the fans & B to challenge for honours or at best finish in a respectable league position next season, we had a team full of them last season & we cant afford to make the same mistake this time round....I trust he will sign the right player this time..no chance of world beaters but hopefully a damn site better than we had last season...:agree:
Given the scale of the task confronting PF, the agitation stems from there being no early signs of some progress on that front. Other clubs are making early moves, however.

It's not so much about the particular players involved in early deals with other SPL clubs; although inevitably comparison will be made with our squad. And in that context most of these other players would represent some form of improvement.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
It's still a tad early is it not? Nutsy will ken what he's doing. relax...

jdships
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
:agree:Be prepared for post after post/thread after thread of St Mirren signed X ..why didnt we go for him ..Kilmarnock signed Y ...why didnt we go for him ..Aberdeen signed Z ..why didnt we go for him ..:blah:

:agree: :thumbsup:

MSK
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Given the scale of the task confronting PF, the agitation stems from there being no early signs of some progress on that front. Other clubs are making early moves, however.

It's not so much about the particular players involved in early deals with other SPL clubs; although inevitably comparison will be made with our squad. And in that context most of these other players would represent some form of improvement.How do we know that though ..?...we could be close to signing players..we could be a million miles away from signing players ...because we havent announced anyone doesnt mean we have to start wetting our drawers ..I would rather we took our time & signed the right players & I would expect PF to be working flat out right now identifying & talking to agents/clubs etc ..:agree:

Beefster
02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
the support could do with a morale boost.

I doubt the club even consider this a factor in anything they do. They've sold as many STs as they're going to - job done as far as communicating/engaging the fans is concerned.

scoopyboy
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
No reason to doubt you scoops, and glad to hear we have signed a couple of players. I wonder why we are keeping it quiet though?

I know in the past we have had press conferences to show off 3 4 and 5 players at once, but now we are currently at a real low and any signing announced would be good news and help raise the mood of the fans.

I'm not sure announcing 2 or 3 at once has the same affect as singular signings?

We as a club need some good news, and keeping any signings we have made from us does not make any sense in my opinion?

I have no clue as to why they aren't announcing.

Maybe to try and get an extra few season tickets sold with a big unveiling, only a guess.

Www1875hfc
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Meanwhile, 6ft 3in Slovakian defender Lubo Michalik has become the latest player to be linked with a move to Easter Road. The 28-year-old, who won his eighth cap for his country when he played the 90 minutes of the weekend’s 1-0 defeat to Poland, is out of contract at Carlisle United although he has been offered a new deal by the Brunton Park club.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/pitbull-jorge-claros-will-return-to-easter-road-1-2333067

scoopyboy
02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Who said anything about Tade?

We should sign players because we are absolutely desperate. The two players I refer to seem to have had good reviews and a 'not bad' job would certainly be a step up from the 'utterly *****' jobs that most of our current lot have been doing, no?

I am just concerned that like every other pre season I can remember, other teams are starting to announce signings, whereas Hibs are not announcing any. This type of argument occurs on the messageboard every year at this time, and for about the last 4 years it is my side of the argument that has proven to be right.

I await news of these two signings you say we have made...

Regarding Tade, it was you who said St.Johnstone were making signings.

Tade signed for St. Johnstone, ie he is one of their signings.

I hope you can see where I was coming from.

I don't blame you for having concerns, I'm sure we all do.

However its a bit early to hit the panic button.

Two signings I'm sure the info I have is rock solid. If I'm wrong I will come back and say who they were when they sign for someone else.

BarneyK
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Regarding Tade, it was you who said St.Johnstone were making signings.

Tade signed for St. Johnstone, ie he is one of their signings.

I hope you can see where I was coming from.

Two signings I'm sure the info I have is rock solid. If I'm wrong I will come back and say who they were when they sign for someone else.

Cairney and Clancy?

RickyS
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.skysports.com/football/match_reaction/0,19764,11065_3472051,00.html?utm_source=twitterfe ed&utm_medium=twitter

Hibernian have started negotiations with Coventry City to sign defender James McPake on a permanent deal.

McPake impressed Hibs manager Pat Fenlon during his recent loan spell at Easter Road and was made skipper of the team.

The 27-year-old also caught the attention of Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill, who has included the Scottish-born player in his squad to play in Holland on Saturday night.

Coventry director Steve Waggott confirmed the Leith club have been in touch and he expects further discussions to take place.

Waggott said: "We've had talks with Hibs about James. It's still up in the air at the moment but they made him captain so I am sure they will sort something out."

The Sky Blues are certain to trim their squad next term following the club's relegation to League One.

Famous5forever
02-06-2012, 11:31 AM

The same EVERY year.

We should be making signings now its the penny pinching Petrie who will be waiting to see how many season tickets we sell before giving Paddy his Warchest i have said it before we need at least 7 new players in and quick so Paddy can work with them and get a good pre season done with them.
I Prey that we dont wait till the last day of the window to bring in panic last min signings/loanees.

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
We should be making signings now its the penny pinching Petrie who will be waiting to see how many season tickets we sell before giving Paddy his Warchest i have said it before we need at least 7 new players in and quick so Paddy can work with them and get a good pre season done with them.
I Prey that we dont wait till the last day of the window to bring in panic last min signings/loanees.

Tell you what. Bet you a pound to a pinch of **** we have at least 7 new players on our books before the last day of the window.

Andy74
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
So just any players? The first seven that are available this week? Yep, that will really secure our development for the next couple of years.

The twice annual whingeing about transfers seems to be more pathetic than usual this year.

TheEastTerrace
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Jeez, with most players having buggered off on holiday (or in court) at the moment, I'm surprised any transfers are being completed. Clubs will be on the phone to agents, other clubs, etc but I don't expect the signings to start being confirmed for a while yet.

I'll bide my time to spit the dummy on player signings :greengrin

Famous5forever
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Tell you what. Bet you a pound to a pinch of **** we have at least 7 new players on our books before the last day of the window.

I Fully agree with you but what worries me is when they are all brought in as we seem to always wait till the last min for some reason yet other clubs are doing there business now Man United made there moves early in the transfer window last year but Arsenal waited till the last min and had no time to intergrate all there new players into there team.
We agree that minimum 7 new players are brought in and possibly even more are required for next season and the timing is just as important as the number of players we bring in.

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I Fully agree with you but what worries me is when they are all brought in as we seem to always wait till the last min for some reason yet other clubs are doing there business now Man United made there moves early in the transfer window last year but Arsenal waited till the last min and had no time to intergrate all there new players into there team.
We agree that minimum 7 new players are brought in and possibly even more are required for next season and the timing is just as important as the number of players we bring in.

Not disagreeing but I don't think bedwetting on the second day of the transfer window because nobody has signed yet, that we know of, is justified (not totally aimed at you by the way :greengrin). I am more inclined to say I will be in total shock if we have not signed at least 7 by the time training restarts.

The Falcon
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Apparently we have already signed two players, and are negotiating with two more. Thats what we know about. What exactly are you expecting by june 2nd?

With the greatest of respect Man United? A bit out of perspective methinks.

snooky
02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
"Not a peep out of Hibs"

Probably because we are not the peeple.

Billychaotic182
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I have no clue as to why they aren't announcing.

Maybe to try and get an extra few season tickets sold with a big unveiling, only a guess.

They may be waiting till the 9th when we bring out our new kit. If we have three kits and three new signings in them it may get the fans excited again?

BEEJ
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
How do we know that though ..?...we could be close to signing players..we could be a million miles away from signing players ...because we havent announced anyone doesnt mean we have to start wetting our drawers ..I would rather we took our time & signed the right players & I would expect PF to be working flat out right now identifying & talking to agents/clubs etc ..:agree:
No one is denying that folks will be working away to the point of exhaustion for the Hibs cause. Ultimately though it's about securing the signatures of suitable players who will develop the squad. You could work yourself into the ground all summer chasing players and trying to negotiate with their agents but still not get folks over the door. All the time you're working your way further and further down the club's lists of targets.

Few but the most dim will imagine (as is often presented on here as a contra-argument) that the management and Board at Hibs are actuall sitting around doing the crossword and scratching their backsides until the last possible minute in the window.

Signs that their efforts are being translated into some progress would, however, be deeply encouraging.

The twice annual whingeing about transfers seems to be more pathetic than usual this year.

Not disagreeing but I don't think bedwetting on the second day of the transfer window because nobody has signed yet, that we know of, is justified (not totally aimed at you by the way :greengrin).

It's nae wonder we have full on disagreements on this Board.

Mild expressions of unease and frustration (stemming from a season gone by that is amongst the worst in the club's history and a consistent record of decline since February 2010) are quickly categorised as 'panic' and 'bedwetting'.

So maybe we can polarise this discussion completely if I suggest that you guys clearly 'have your heads in the sand' and are guilty of 'complacency'. Left to you the club would be 'sleepwalking' into another season of flirting with relegation.

(Can't think of other appropriate phrases; but that ought to do to be getting on with.) :greengrin

Famous5forever
02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
No one is denying that folks will be working away to the point of exhaustion for the Hibs cause. Ultimately though it's about securing the signatures of suitable players who will develop the squad. You could work yourself into the ground all summer chasing players and trying to negotiate with their agents but still not get folks over the door. All the time you're working your way further and further down the club's lists of targets.

Few but the most dim will imagine (as is often presented on here as a contra-argument) that the management and Board at Hibs are actuall sitting around doing the crossword and scratching their backsides until the last possible minute in the window.

Signs that their efforts are being translated into some progress would, however, be deeply encouraging.

Mild expressions of unease and frustration (stemming from a season gone by that is amongst the worst in the club's history and a consistent record of decline since February 2010) are quickly categorised as 'panic' and 'bedwetting'.

So maybe we can polarise this discussion completely if I suggest that you guys clearly 'have your heads in the sand' and are guilty of 'complacency'. Left to you the club would be 'sleepwalking' into another season of flirting with relegation.

(Can't think of other appropriate phrases; but that ought to do to be getting on with.) :greengrin

Thats the trouble there is no progress that we the fans need to hear from the club regards the new players that are going to be signed there is the odd media Speculation but thats it well so far anyway.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I wish i had a pound for every person thats said, i have no doubt the new manager will get the right players who are better than last seasons dross.

We seem to have been saying that every season since Mowbray's team.

Kaiser1962
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Thats the trouble there is no progress that we the fans need to hear from the club regards the new players that are going to be signed there is the odd media Speculation but thats it well so far anyway.

Do you seriously expect the club to announce their signing targets before any deal is done?

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM

:greengrin But I don't think us non bedwetters or panickers are using any more hyperbole and dramatics as those who are guilty of the above. We all know we need more players in. We all know we need them in as soon as possible. I am still confident that PF and the board know this and we will have them in for training starting. If they are not then I might well turn into a bedwetting, panicking, hyperbolic maniac.

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I wish i had a pound for every person thats said, i have no doubt the new manager will get the right players who are better than last seasons dross.

We seem to have been saying that every season since Mowbray's team.
So how many pounds have you got now and are you putting it into the McPake signing fund, i am 90% sure we have signed Clifford Byrne, he was released from Scunny so cheer up, do you think the manager has the ability to bring in good players??

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
So how many pounds have you got now and are you putting it into the McPake signing fund, i am 90% sure we have signed Clifford Byrne, he was released from Scunny so cheer up, do you think the manager has the ability to bring in good players??

I have no pounds, thats why i said i wished i had? :greengrin

Never heard of Byrne, is he another Irishman?

Again i have no idea if Fenlon has the ability to bring in good players, i had never even heard of him until he was in the running for the Hibs job.

What i will say is i think he deserves a chance to build his team at easter road.

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I have no pounds, thats why i said i wished i had? :greengrin

Never heard of Byrne, is he another Irishman?

Again i have no idea if Fenlon has the ability to bring in good players, i had never even heard of him until he was in the running for the Hibs job.

What i will say is i think he deserves a chance to build his team at easter road.
From Dublin, with Sunderland as a kid and has been with Scunny since, heard his best days are behind him but who knows, as i said only 90% sure

Famous5forever
02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Do you seriously expect the club to announce their signing targets before any deal is done?

No of course not what we all want to hear is the Club Announcing THE NEW SIGNINGS ASAP We the fans need a lift and the longer the delay the worse it gets in terms of hope for next season being a good one.
Paddy needs to get us off to a flying start if we mess around and wait till the last minuite again it puts more pressure on the team and another poor start to the season could lead to Petries favourite circus act the night before the AGM Being performed ALA The last 2 seasons which is the last thing we need.

Ray_
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
So just any players? The first seven that are available this week? Yep, that will really secure our development for the next couple of years.

What do you expect Andy?

Hasn't the performances of the last few years contributed considerably to the pathetic whingeing?

The team has been hopeless since Collins's final in 2007 & we have just had the worst season [quality wise], that I've ever seen, since my first match in 1965. The season just past is where we ended up with a result that is our worst ever and could have been, quite easily, all of our worst possible nightmares [sporting wise], getting beat by seven at Hampden, because make no mistake, it was there for the taking, if hearts wanted it.

AlbertK86
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM

These targets should have been identified months or at least weeks ago and we should be ready to start reshaping ASAP.

Unfortunately that would mean ROD paying wages before the season starts.

Also why no announcement IF we have 2 signed already.

The board dinnae give a flying about the fans

JimBHibees
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Jeez, with most players having buggered off on holiday (or in court) at the moment, I'm surprised any transfers are being completed. Clubs will be on the phone to agents, other clubs, etc but I don't expect the signings to start being confirmed for a while yet.

Exactly most players, managers etc will be on hols now. Lets wait until they are back and lets see what happens. Personally think PF has a good eye for a player so hopefully he can get in the players and more importantly the type of players we need to improve.

MSK
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
These targets should have been identified months or at least weeks ago and we should be ready to start reshaping ASAP.

Unfortunately that would mean ROD paying wages before the season starts.

Also why no announcement IF we have 2 signed already.

The board dinnae give a flying about the fansAnother bedwetting post of absolute tosh ..does it really matter if they are announced now or next week ..? they cant play ..we are not back at training yet ..gie Fenlon a chance ffs ..

Hysteria ...ye gotta love it ...:tee hee:

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Exactly most players, managers etc will be on hols now. Lets wait until they are back and lets see what happens. Personally think PF has a good eye for a player so hopefully he can get in the players and more importantly the type of players we need to improve.
On what grounds do you think PF has an eye for a player? he only got 1 out of 7 in jan if your happy with that ratio god help us next season

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM

BEEJ, while I often disagree with you I respect the fact that your posts tend to be thought-out and fair arguments. Unfortunately, your 'Board-skeptical' stance puts you in the same company as a lot of slavering, nonsensical gibberish from some other folk, through no fault of your own :greengrin.

One thought, more than any other, springs to mind amidst all this talk of how players should be pinned down now, wearing a Hibs jersey and doing circuits at East Mains under the watchful eye of Fenlon.

There's been one signing in the last few years that more than any other signing enlivened and enraptured us, had almost unanimous support and had many of us believing we were destined for real progress.

Derek Riordan, obviously. And IIRC, even though we wanted him, we had to accept that Celtc were determined to hang on to try and secure the best price for him, which meant it ended up being the last day of the window. It wasn't in our control. Or rather, we could have been taken for mugs and paid Celtc £500,000 for him, like a good few folk on here were saying we should do, or we could have stood firm and faced them down, which we did and ended up paying less to them than they paid us for him in the first place IIRC.

It didn't work out as well as we hoped for various reasons but I suppose the point is that we're not masters of our own destiny when it comes to the window, no team is, and the more important the target is to our progression the more likely it is we are drawn into the dance between selling club and interested clubs that makes quick acquisitions difficult.

We might know who our key targets are and we might have the money to get them but it doesn't mean we will straight away - why would anyone commit to our offer now without waiting to see what else is out there? And if we know this, why would we jump in feet-first with our best offers, making it easy for other clubs to come in with a marginally better deal to trump us?

Only idiots would work like that and we're not idiots - although some of the posts I've seen on this thread call that into question...................

I'm_cabbaged
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
On what grounds do you think PF has an eye for a player? he only got 1 out of 7 in jan if your happy with that ratio god help us next season

Agree smiley, had ST for seasons but he doesn't inspire me. Getting players to play in their natural pisitiion would maybe help him

FitbaFolkKen
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
What agent who was doing their job would let their client sign for a club this early in the transfer window?

The only time is if it is an absolutely cracking deal or the player is convinced it is the right move.

That's why the majority of moves are later in the window, although reading on here you would think its cos Rod doesn't allow any pens in ER until the night before deadline day....

Hibeesmad
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
We know hibs keep there signings quiet, so let's not get too worried even though I agree we need all our players before pre season training!

BEEJ
02-06-2012, 10:27 PM
... but I suppose the point is that we're not masters of our own destiny when it comes to the window, no team is, and the more important the target is to our progression the more likely it is we are drawn into the dance between selling club and interested clubs that makes quick acquisitions difficult.

We might know who our key targets are and we might have the money to get them but it doesn't mean we will straight away - why would anyone commit to our offer now without waiting to see what else is out there? And if we know this, why would we jump in feet-first with our best offers, making it easy for other clubs to come in with a marginally better deal to trump us?

Only idiots would work like that and we're not idiots - although some of the posts I've seen on this thread call that into question...................
I respect your argument; but two points:

players appear to be settling already for other SPL clubs, which would at least place a question mark over that theory that now is too soon (maybe the other clubs are just the idiots?);

Hibs have a far greater squad building task ahead of them this summer than any other team in the SPL, so we can't hang around.

I know how Hibs operate. We all do; and we all know the arguments in favour of that approach. But it's not a strategy that's delivered unparalleled success on the pitch in the last four seasons or so.

(And just because I understand the approach doesn't mean I have to like it. :greengrin)

If Scoopyboy is convinced that the signings of two players are already secured then that's fine for me. However, given the general mood amongst the support, I hope the club don't delay too long in making an official announcement to that effect.

AlbertK86
02-06-2012, 10:28 PM

players appear to be settling already for other SPL clubs, which would at least place a question mark over that theory that now is too soon (maybe the other clubs are just the idiots?);

Hibs have a far greater squad building task ahead of them this summer than any other team in the SPL, so we can't hang around.

I know how Hibs operate. We all do; and we all know the arguments in favour of that approach. But it's not a strategy that's delivered unparalleled success on the pitch in the last four seasons or so.

(And just because I understand the approach doesn't mean I have to like it. :greengrin)

If Scoopyboy is convinced that the signings of two players are already secured then that's fine for me. However, given the general mood amongst the support, I hope the club don't delay too long in making an official announcement to that effect.

Well said mate

FitbaFolkKen
02-06-2012, 10:44 PM

All the debating on policy is pretty pointless, the big thing this summer will be the quality of the signings not when they are signed.

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Has anyone else actually signed anybody, proper signed :greengrin, who we all wanted here?

We both know the answer's "No".

If some posters put as much weight on the rumours about us as we put on those about our our rivals then there maybe wouldn't be so many toys thrown out of the cot on here.

Hibs' success or lack of, in recent years, isn't primarily down to when we get players. We've had players who should be good, early and late, bad players early and late. We've obviously been able to attract decent players but for various reasons we've either not retained them or not got the maximum out of them when they've been here.

That's painful, no two ways about it. Players like Bamba, Johannson, Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor, Miller - you would think we should have achieved much more in the SPL with the likes of them at our disposal.

Agree completely re the signings - there's the potential to reinvigorate the support and I think we all want to start hearing good news ASAP :agree:

BEEJ
03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Has anyone else actually signed anybody, proper signed :greengrin, who we all wanted here?

We both know the answer's "No".
Great way to phrase that question! As I can't think of any player for as long as Hibs.net has been on the go that 'we all wanted', then I guess the answer to that question has always been and will always be "no". :greengrin

But as previously stated the unease is less about the individual players involved and more to do with other clubs going about their squad development swiftly and in an orderly fashion.

Not all deals are rumours though. AFAIK these are all confirmed signings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18213033

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18272980

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18287343

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16499442

Cue shouts of "they're crap", "they're all first division", "they wouldn't make our U-20s side", etc etc. Heard that argument on here many time before as well - the likes of Conway, Buaben and Gomis were all regarded with some degree of scorn on here when The Arabs signed them from lower divisions.

Four or five season later when they're contracts at Tannadice came to an end many of those same posters would have been delighted if any of those players had turned up at ER.

Agree completely re the signings - there's the potential to reinvigorate the support and I think we all want to start hearing good news ASAP :agree:
At least we agree on something. :aok: Here's hoping for some positive news this week.

Jim44
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
What agent who was doing their job would let their client sign for a club this early in the transfer window?

The only time is if it is an absolutely cracking deal or the player is convinced it is the right move.

That's why the majority of moves are later in the window, although reading on here you would think its cos Rod doesn't allow any pens in ER until the night before deadline day....

This holds good for the vast majority of clubs who are looking for two or three players to improve their squads. Fenlon has a mountain to climb in terms of the number and quality of players needed and he certainly doesn't have the luxury of time on his hands. I don't expect him to jump through the transfer window with all guns blazing but an early move to get the ball rolling is to his advantage, surely.

Eyrie
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
If anything, we need to make four or five early moves to provide a foundation and make it easier to attract other players to the club. McPake, Michalik, Clancy and Cairney will make a good start.

Next up - a goalkeeper, couple of midfielders (Jennings?) and two strikers. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Hanlon and Kujabi at LB though.

VickMackie
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
When does preseason start?

I'd like us to have most of next seasons squad in by then. If we have one or two high quality players in after that them fair enough but I think we need most of the squad together early.

Paisley Hibby
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Hope I'm wrong but prepare to be underwhelmed by our summer signings. But that won't necessarily be bad news. It's a TEAM we need not another collection of flawed johnny big baws who think they are superstars.

FitbaFolkKen
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
This holds good for the vast majority of clubs who are looking for two or three players to improve their squads. Fenlon has a mountain to climb in terms of the number and quality of players needed and he certainly doesn't have the luxury of time on his hands. I don't expect him to jump through the transfer window with all guns blazing but an early move to get the ball rolling is to his advantage, surely.

I would agree, but folk seem to think the reason deals are not done early is always down to us/Petrie.

As I've said earlier regardless of when we get them it's more important we get the players Fenlon wants whether that be tomorrow or on deadline day. The reason people view previous transfer windows as rubbish is because that's what we have signed.

Famous5forever
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Agreed but with Petrie holding the purse strings it must be one heck of a job trying to atract players in this oportunity has to be grasped and quickly lets get the new players in now Petrie has to Spend decent money this time to bring in quality players and if it means spending big then so be it.

FitbaFolkKen
03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Agreed but with Petrie holding the purse strings it must be one heck of a job trying to atract players in this oportunity has to be grasped and quickly lets get the new players in now Petrie has to Spend decent money this time to bring in quality players and if it means spending big then so be it.

Spending big before knowing what is going on with SPL structure and possible renegotiation of TV deal.... Great idea!

IWasThere2016
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
If anything, we need to make four or five early moves to provide a foundation and make it easier to attract other players to the club. McPake, Michalik, Clancy and Cairney will make a good start.

Next up - a goalkeeper, couple of midfielders (Jennings?) and two strikers. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Hanlon and Kujabi at LB though.

We enquired about a new LB before the SCF.

Big Ed
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Does he ply his trade at a SPL ground near you?

Brooster
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
And a right back from a championship side.

MSK
03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
And a right back from a championship side.Who was that B ..?

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
As others have said, it really does not matter if we dont get any players this early. What matters is we get the right players in on time before the window closes.

Thats not been the case in recent windows though, and personally because of that i'm not that confident Fenlon will be any different, but obviously hope he is. :pray:

bingo70
03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
As others have said, it really does not matter if we dont get any players this early. What matters is we get the right players in on time before the window closes.

Thats not been the case in recent windows though, and personally because of that i'm not that confident Fenlon will be any different, but obviously hope he is. :pray:

Do you not think it's important we get players in early enough to get a good pre-season as a group?

I think in previous years we've waited until the end of the window to see what players get released and it's a tactic that hasn't really worked so i'd like us to go after our targets aggressively early on and make sure we get them, if that means we miss out on someone at the end of the window then so be it.

I also think targeting players that have been released by bigger clubs hasn't really worked either as they appear to have come up lacking confidence and not playing at the best of their ability, i think going for players that have done well and earned a move to a club like ours is more likely to fix the confidence issue that has been effecting the club over the last few years and generally speaking these players are more likely to be available at the start of the window as there'll more than likely be more than one club after them where as at the end it's the dross that no-one else wants.

Famous5forever
03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you not think it's important we get players in early enough to get a good pre-season as a group?

I think in previous years we've waited until the end of the window to see what players get released and it's a tactic that hasn't really worked so i'd like us to go after our targets aggressively early on and make sure we get them, if that means we miss out on someone at the end of the window then so be it.

I also think targeting players that have been released by bigger clubs hasn't really worked either as they appear to have come up lacking confidence and not playing at the best of their ability, i think going for players that have done well and earned a move to a club like ours is more likely to fix the confidence issue that has been effecting the club over the last few years and generally speaking these players are more likely to be available at the start of the window as there'll more than likely be more than one club after them where as at the end it's the dross that no-one else wants.

I Agree with you on this but i think there is more chance of us getting the good ones if more money can be released to invest on proven hungry quality players and get them in ASAP

bingo70
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I Agree with you on this but i think there is more chance of us getting the good ones if more money can be released to invest on proven hungry quality players and get them in ASAP

Yeah, that's pretty much what i said i think?

Hanging out to sign someone that's just been released at the very end of the window or players that have been free agents throughout the window but unable to find a club is normally the way we go and it's not worked so funds have to be released early to attract our first targets this summer.

It is too early for bed wedding, however the early signs have me anxious. Hopefully we've learned our lessons from previous windows but i'm far from convinced they will have been.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM

I think getting players in early would be preferable, although i do think the market we operate in these days will curtail us doing that a little.

We have apparently signed a couple already, we obviously need much more though.

It is all about getting the right players, who will fit into the right formation. We should be able to get better players than most of our competitors, thats where the manager comes in.

The last few have failed miserably to spot enough players who will make us a better team, thats why i have my reservations we will do so this time.

steviehibsleith
03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned but think RP has shown he doesnt like signing players till pre season training is ready to start. Its a dangerous game and we dont want to lose out on any new players but RP doesnt like paying wages on new players while they are on holidays and if he signs a player they will want paying from when they sign - sure this happens every summer so dont panic troops sure we will have a new squad ready for new season.

ScottB
03-06-2012, 08:53 PM
To be fair, in recent years we've announced signings of players on the day the window has opened, and they've been dross, and others that have snuck in in the dying moments who've been great.

Do we want our complete squad there for day one of preseason, of course, in a perfect world, but unless you're Man City, and are able to throw enough money at a player that they are franticly scribbling their signature on the dotted line, the player has the power. Even if we offer a guy what he is asking for, it's early June, he has our offer in his pocket, who would blame anyone for keeping an ear out for the possibility of something better?

What is important, as others have said, is that we sign a team, no more broken pros and ex players with trucks full of baggage on the down swing of their careers. We've tried this several times in recent years, it's not worth it. I can't help but think that the number of 'Billy Big Baws' we've brought in from supposedly loftier leagues is directly related to the lack of effort on show in recent times, the Dochety's, the Soares', the O'Connor's et all, thinking they can coast through the SPL. What we need is the hard working, effort making footballers, either seasoned pros or young guys on the way up, guys like McPake are an obvious one, the suggestion of Cairney encourages me also, for too long our rivals have done well out of picking up talent from the SFL and polishing it, which of course can also give us future transfer income down the line.

I'm hoping / assuming we shall have one or two guys in at least for the away kit launch, wait and see time!

AlbertK86
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
The silence from Easter Road is deafening.

Fair enough if we had just won the cup and finished in the top six and had a squad that only needed one or two additions ....

C'mon Hibs at least let us know yiz are working overtime trying to build a squad to compete and make up for the way they have made a c u next Tuesday of the fans for the last few years

Eyrie
04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
The Jubilee holiday means tomorrow can be written off but I'm not expecting anything until the kit launch on Friday anyway.

bingo70
04-06-2012, 10:14 PM
The Jubilee holiday means tomorrow can be written off but I'm not expecting anything until the kit launch on Friday anyway.

Why would that rule anything out?

We can sign players we just can't register them to play if the sfa offices are closed but seeing as we've not got a game for a while that's not a problem.

Famous5forever
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Why would that rule anything out?

We can sign players we just can't register them to play if the sfa offices are closed but seeing as we've not got a game for a while that's not a problem.

Id like to see several new players signed by the end off this week this would boost fans morale lets hope Paddy is working on it now :pfgwa

number9dream
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Pat Fenlon is on holiday in Spain with his family. Billy Brown puts the cones out in training and not a lot else.
It might be a couple of weeks yet before we see any new faces holding the old Hibs scarf aloft...

CRAZYHIBBY
05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
All we need is a team capable of beating hearts........which without beattie scacel ,black, and zaluskis should be fairly easy

Ray_
05-06-2012, 01:38 PM
All we need is a team capable of beating hearts........which without beattie scacel ,black, and zaluskis should be fairly easy

Not that easy I would think, they totally outclassed us in every position last time around and it is very likely that they will still be able to attract players we can't.

Famous5forever
05-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Not that easy I would think, they totally outclassed us in every position last time around and it is very likely that they will still be able to attract players we can't.

And we all know the reason for that Mr Petrie the prudent accountant who controls the purse strings and works for nothing. Yes he did a great job building the infrastructure at the club but the lack of investment in the product on the pitch has led us to where we are.
Its time for serious investment on new players and if it means breaking the wge cap to attract better players then so be it, id rather we were in a little debt but winning every week rather than having the best balance sheet in the SPL.

Ray_
05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
And we all know the reason for that Mr Petrie the prudent accountant who controls the purse strings and works for nothing. Yes he did a great job building the infrastructure at the club but the lack of investment in the product on the pitch has led us to where we are.
Its time for serious investment on new players and if it means breaking the wge cap to attract better players then so be it, id rather we were in a little debt but winning every week rather than having the best balance sheet in the SPL.

[/B]

Irrespective of the reason, that's the most likely scenario.

Lucius Apuleius
05-06-2012, 02:29 PM

[/B]

Do you copy and paste that into every thread?

Speedway
06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
About any potential signings :confused:

Please don't tell me it's the "Hibs way" again as we need a totally new outlook to the way this club is run. :rolleyes:

Even Greggs is dead quiet :worried:

I think Hibs need to abandon working on a budget, working quietly and working.

Theyh need to sign players before the window opens, any players, so long as we're the first. We should also sign lots cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep with tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep with tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep woth tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first.

CallumLaidlaw
06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
#dundeeunited are also on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Brian McLean from #preston #pne #arabs #dufc

FitbaFolkKen
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
I think Hibs need to abandon working on a budget, working quietly and working.

Theyh need to sign players before the window opens, any players, so long as we're the first. We should also sign lots cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep with tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep with tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first cuz that's exciting except none of the names we ever get excite me due to the wage cap that is imposed which doesn't exist and now we're going to play in red to break the asian market which is a disgrace, since it should be red with white sleeves to keep woth tradition plus no-one else has got that and it would secure players which we haven't signed any of yet and we should do because others are and the window is open so why don't we and we need to be the first.

That was a tough read... Whole thread in one post!

Don't understand folk that want a bigger budget with the possibility of a re negotiated tv deal for next season and other potential financial uncertainties with the whole Rangers nonsense.

bingo70
06-06-2012, 10:12 PM
That was a tough read... Whole thread in one post!

Don't understand folk that want a bigger budget with the possibility of a re negotiated tv deal for next season and other potential financial uncertainties with the whole Rangers nonsense.

I think people think there's a need to spend more than we can afford for a few years, if all we spend is our st money then its going to be a continual downward spiral and it might take years to get out the rut, especially if we get relegated.

I'd like to see some sort of business plan where we budget for losses for say the next five years but then be in a much better position to make the cuts to pay back the remaining debt we'd accrued.

Slashing the budget and making the team even pisher isnt The way out of this after everything we went through last season, hearts are reducing there wage budget dramatically by the looks of it so maybe to restore some pride in the club its about Time we started beating them regularly.

FitbaFolkKen
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I think people think there's a need to spend more than we can afford for a few years, if all we spend is our st money then its going to be a continual downward spiral and it might take years to get out the rut, especially if we get relegated.

I'd like to see some sort of business plan where we budget for losses for say the next five years but then be in a much better position to make the cuts to pay back the remaining debt we'd accrued.

Slashing the budget and making the team even pisher isnt The way out of this after everything we went through last season, hearts are reducing there wage budget dramatically by the looks of it so maybe to restore some pride in the club its about Time we started beating them regularly.

Thing is I agree, but this is quite possibly the most financially unstable the Scottish game has ever been. There have clearly been a few boards panicking. I just think the financial future of the SPL needs confirmed before we spent that extra cash.

IWasThere2016
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

:agree: + :boo hoo:

JimBHibees
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
#dundeeunited are also on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Brian McLean from #preston #pne #arabs #dufc

I wonder if that means that Gavin Gunning is going elsewhere?

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
St Mirren sign up striker Parkin: St Mirren sign former St Johnstone and Queen of the South striker Sam Parkin o... http://t.co/JtRDz0Dc

Famous5forever
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Why did we not go for this guy http://sport.stv.tv/football/105139-ross-tokely-joins-ross-county-after-turning-down-deal-to-stay-at-inverness/ Paddy said there was a softness about the team this guy would have been good for us.

Westie1875
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Why did we not go for this guy http://sport.stv.tv/football/105139-ross-tokely-joins-ross-county-after-turning-down-deal-to-stay-at-inverness/ Paddy said there was a softness about the team this guy would have been good for us.

You are kidding right? :panic:

bingo70
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Cos he was utterly pish.

Someone released by Inverness good enough for where we want to go? no chance.

ancient hibee
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM

So -the year to 31/7/2011 we lost the best part of a million quid-I guess that this year we will lose even more.What size of annual loss do you think the club should budget for?£2miiliom,£3Miillion?and where is the money going to come from to clear the accumulated debts?

bingo70
07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
So -the year to 31/7/2011 we lost the best part of a million quid-I guess that this year we will lose even more.What size of annual loss do you think the club should budget for?£2miiliom,£3Miillion?and where is the money going to come from to clear the accumulated debts?

i think if the club had a plan about it we could afford to absorb those debts and then at the end of around five years we should be through this rut we're in and with increased crowds, more consistant cup runs and improved standard of player we could start to make those cuts gradually at a time when we're not at the risk of relegation or losing fans through sheer apathy, would also be good to get a bit pride back about the place if we could win the odd derby in 10.

I've only just thought about this so it may not be accurate but i think what i'm talking about is very similar to what Dundee Utd did when Eddie Thompson was overspending but are now paying it back after stopping the rut they were prior to Thomsons investment.

If we keep reducing our wage budget in line with the crowds going down then the team is likely to keep getting worse so we'll keep making losses like £1m a year with no progression on the park which is far more dangerous than what i'm suggesting.

There has to be a line in the sand moment where we put together some sort of longer term plan rather than just drifting along from year to year making small losses but continually being pish and losing fans every year, if now isn't the time after what we went through last season and in that final then it never will be.

ancient hibee
07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
i think if the club had a plan about it we could afford to absorb those debts and then at the end of around five years we should be through this rut we're in and with increased crowds, more consistant cup runs and improved standard of player we could start to make those cuts gradually at a time when we're not at the risk of relegation or losing fans through sheer apathy, would also be good to get a bit pride back about the place if we could win the odd derby in 10.

I've only just thought about this so it may not be accurate but i think what i'm talking about is very similar to what Dundee Utd did when Eddie Thompson was overspending but are now paying it back after stopping the rut they were prior to Thomsons investment.

If we keep reducing our wage budget in line with the crowds going down then the team is likely to keep getting worse so we'll keep making losses like £1m a year with no progression on the park which is far more dangerous than what i'm suggesting.

There has to be a line in the sand moment where we put together some sort of longer term plan rather than just drifting along from year to year making small losses but continually being pish and losing fans every year, if now isn't the time after what we went through last season and in that final then it never will be.

Everyone would like something on these lines.But what does absorb debts mean?We can't dig a hole and make them disappear.No bank is going to loan the money.At the last balance sheet we had debts of £13million-they have to be repaid.What makes you think the wage budget is reducing-it's going up year on year.

bingo70
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Everyone would like something on these lines.But what does absorb debts mean?We can't dig a hole and make them disappear.No bank is going to loan the money.At the last balance sheet we had debts of £13million-they have to be repaid.What makes you think the wage budget is reducing-it's going up year on year.

With the way we've run our finances over the years and with STF guarantor i don't believe we wouldn't have access to a further overdraft or other finance from the bank.

There was also another thread suggesting things the board could be doing to attract more finance but as the club is limping along from year to year i think they'd struggle to sell the club to anyone, something needs to be done longer term and making cuts and reducing the budget in line with lower crowds isn't going to help the club long term.

I think the wage budget will reduce as Petrie has been making these statements saying if we don't buy season tickets it'll effect Fenlons budget

Kato
07-06-2012, 06:32 PM

You could have saved yourself typing all of that and just said "we should speculate to accumulate".

matty_f
07-06-2012, 06:34 PM

The wage budget goes up against turnover because turnover has been dropping. Why has it been dropping? Because the product on the park isn't good enough.

There are plenty of businesses that take a short to mid term hit on debt with a view to investing in the growth of the business, either to arrest a decline, or to stimulate growth.

We are declining rapidly and could easily have been facing next season in a lower division. That's the reality of where we are just now. So what do we do? The same as last year and the year before?

Watch another thrown together squad struggle for the first half of the season til we can't stand the sight of them, watch the manager exit as he fails to get them to perform, and then hope the board can scrape together enough to let the new manager rebuild again in January before praying we're still in touch with 11th place come the end of the season?

Fenlon needs a budget with enough in it to buy/sign players that would get a game for Dundee United, Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone etc. If we don't get that quality in then where do you think we'll be next season?

bingo70
07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
You could have saved yourself typing all of that and just said "we should speculate to accumulate".

I think that indicates throwing money at it and hoping for the best and that's not what i'm suggesting, i'm wanting a short to mid-term plan of how we can arrest the slide.

Matty has just described what i meant far better than i did.

BEEJ
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
The wage budget goes up against turnover because turnover has been dropping. Why has it been dropping? Because the product on the park isn't good enough.

There are plenty of businesses that take a short to mid term hit on debt with a view to investing in the growth of the business, either to arrest a decline, or to stimulate growth.

We are declining rapidly and could easily have been facing next season in a lower division. That's the reality of where we are just now. So what do we do? The same as last year and the year before?

Watch another thrown together squad struggle for the first half of the season til we can't stand the sight of them, watch the manager exit as he fails to get them to perform, and then hope the board can scrape together enough to let the new manager rebuild again in January before praying we're still in touch with 11th place come the end of the season?

Fenlon needs a budget with enough in it to buy/sign players that would get a game for Dundee United, Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone etc. If we don't get that quality in then where do you think we'll be next season?

Don't want to alarm you, Matty. But we're on the same page on this subject! :faint:

matty_f
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Don't want to alarm you, Matty. But we're on the same page on this subject! :faint:

I need a lie doon!

Eganov
07-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Probably alone on this one but not convinced by the whole spend spend spend idea.

The past few years the wage budget has gradually increased and the team has gradually worsened. Coincidence? Is it maybe the case that we are entering a higher wage bracket that will only get us players that are pretty poor but look good because they are associated with decent clubs but also come with the over-inflated price tag? Any benefit to going back to the old ways of employing an honest level of players whereby they will need to play for the jersey and don't have the ego?

fit o' the walk
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Probably alone on this one but not convinced by the whole spend spend spend idea.

The past few years the wage budget has gradually increased and the team has gradually worsened. Coincidence? Is it maybe the case that we are entering a higher wage bracket that will only get us players that are pretty poor but look good because they are associated with decent clubs but also come with the over-inflated price tag? Any benefit to going back to the old ways of employing an honest level of players whereby they will need to play for the jersey and don't have the ego?I 'm not one for the spend,spend,spend idea,but the fact is with the players that we( nearly wrote lost,good riddance) either released or went back to their clubs,we NEED to sign nearly a full team,it's not as though we will adding to an already huge squad.Hibernian FC should be able to compete with every team apart from the OF and probably Hearts(even that might not be the case with the cost cutting thats going on there)when it comes to signing players.

Tollhouse Hibee
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Like a few on here I thought the new strip was going to be released and hopefully a couple of new players announced.
How long will we need to wait to see some progress?

Ultrabee1-0
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I was hopefully going to see a few of the new players modelling the kit as a surprise of there arrival or at least someone to model it off!

poolman
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe we should wait until the window is officially open :yawn:

Dinkydoo
08-06-2012, 11:49 AM
"New strip - no new players", is exactly what I was thinking.

A little disappointed to be honest.

Peevemor
08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
I would have been surprised had Hibs officially launched the kit and announced signings at the same time. They normally release "good" news in dribs and drabs to keep interest up.

PeterboroHibee
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe we should wait until the window is officially open :yawn:

The window is open.

I had my hopes up that we might see some new players, but nobody being announced is hardly unexpected. The club dont seem to be in any rush to sign players so we are just going to have to put up with it.

Peevemor
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
The window is open.

I had my hopes up that we might see some new players, but nobody being announced is hardly unexpected. The club dont seem to be in any rush to sign players so we are just going to have to put up with it.

On what basis do you say this?

Tollhouse Hibee
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I hope they are in a rush as we need a new squad and it also may help get some fans back

AlbertK86
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
The window is open.

Cos ROD won't pay unnecessary wages whilst they are still on holiday.

As usual it will be wait as long as possible to save a few sheckles

frazeHFC
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
The season is ages away, and the window just open, no need to panic.....yet. :wink:

Andy74
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM

:faf:

Tollhouse Hibee
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The season is ages away, and the window just open, no need to panic.....yet. :wink:

I could agree with u if we were only topping up a good squad with a couple of players. But this summer we need at least 8 new faces

Alan62
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The transfer window isn't open until 1 July. Some players are contracted until 30th June. A small number of players who are out of contract at the end of June have already made their moves (BBC has less than 20 transfers listed at the moment for all of the UK) but they won't officially sign until 1 July.

So stop greetin' about the lack of activity and be patient. Rebuilding takes time.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM

What a slaver.

:top marks

Tollhouse Hibee
08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
But even 1 or 2 pre contract signings would give us all a boost. St Johnstone managed it with tade.

frazeHFC
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah but i would rather we signed quality than signed a player just for the sake of it.

HFC 0-7
08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
The transfer window isn't open until 1 July. Some players are contracted until 30th June. A small number of players who are out of contract at the end of June have already made their moves (BBC has less than 20 transfers listed at the moment for all of the UK) but they won't officially sign until 1 July.

So stop greetin' about the lack of activity and be patient. Rebuilding takes time.

Its June 9th it opens. Its open for 12 weeks. Count back from when it closes on 31 August nd you will get 8/9 June. For hibs though, I doubt there will be transfer fees involved so it will probably be out of contract players which can happen any time.

Sudds_1
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
more importantly......... I had thought (mistakenly) we were getting to see the new home kit for next season as well.

So........we have a BOGOF, but no idea what we're getting if we buy now ?

SlickShoes
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
But even 1 or 2 pre contract signings would give us all a boost. St Johnstone managed it with tade.

But Tade is gash, he done nothing of note last year, i'd rather sign no one than sign someone like him for the sake of having a signing.

micka_weer
08-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Just looking at the new strip on the club site, the kids strip doesnt seem to have 'John Crabbies' on the pics can anyone tell me if they do in the club shop or are they not getting that this year? Cheers

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Just looking at the new strip on the club site, the kids strip doesnt seem to have 'John Crabbies' on the pics can anyone tell me if they do in the club shop or are they not getting that this year? Cheers

Would think it would be the same as last year, as nothing has changed in terms of sponsorship, so on that basis, I expext John Crabbies to be on Kids Shirts...

Aldo
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Don't think kids strips are allowed to promote alcohol. Hence the reason it's missing.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Don't think kids strips are allowed to promote alcohol. Hence the reason it's missing.

Im sure John Crabbies was the non alcohol range.....

HibsNutter
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe this is because the right player isn't available at this moment and the board are weighing up options to ensure we sign the right player, instead of signing any old player for the sake of it?

AlbertK86
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
So wot about Cairney and Clancy .... Signed or not ????

Baldy Foghorn
Maybe this is because the right player isn't available at this moment and the board are weighing up options to ensure we sign the right player, instead of signing any old player for the sake of it?

Agree, it does not matter that a new player was not modelling it, I want the Club and PF, to do their homework, exhausting all avenues, before bringing in player's....We have to ensure a better level of player is signed this campaign, as we want to eradicate relegation issues, that we became embroiled in...We can't afford another season like the previous two, top 6 must be our minimum aim at least

gbur123ukgb
would have thought they would have at least had some players modelling it.
This will be a sign of things to come petrie wont sign anyone just now so he doesnt have to pay wages over summer will be the usual crap panic buys at the end of the window.
I doubt we will sign many of players we have been linked with i truly hope old scrooge splashes for mcpake

Famous5forever
08-06-2012, 02:05 PM

We need to be making signings now ASAP Petries penny pinching is not going to do us any good, it would have been great to see new signings in the new strip which looks great.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
We need to be making signings now ASAP Petries penny pinching is not going to do us any good, it would have been great to see new signings in the new strip which looks great.

As long as we have the necessary players in for Pre-Season that will do for me.....

AlbertK86
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Agree, it does not matter that a new player was modelling it, I want the Club and PF, to do their homework, exhasuting all avenues, before bringing in player's....We have to ensure a better level of player is signed this campaign, as we want to eradicate relegation issues, that we became embroiled in...We can't afford another season like the previous two, top 6 must be our minimum aim at least

Ever thought the homework should have started months ago

You dinnae start studying for an examine on the day or week before !!

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Ever thought the homework should have started months ago

You dinnae start studying for an examine on the day or week before !!

Of course the homework would have started months ago, but the budget was dependent in staying in the SPL which we achieved. I want PF to take their time identifying players of a better standard to what we had...

Littlest Hobo
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Just one new signing can help sell more merchandise but more importantly help sell more ST.

I believe that Rod knows this and that's exactly what would have happened if we where anywhere near signing a player.

Rod going about his business quietly while others buy/ or offer the best of the crop of players out there more than us.

I fear we will be left signing the same old pile of pish in the same mould as your Brian Kerrs ; (

**** watching that everyweek, I don't care how nice the strip is.

AlbertK86
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Totally agree re standard of player but surely they could have had a list for each eventuality

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Just one new signing can help sell more merchandise but more importantly help sell more ST.

I believe that Rod knows this and that's exactly what would have happened if we where anywhere near signing a player.

Rod going about his business quietly while others buy/ or offer the best of the crop of players out there more than us.

I fear we will be left signing the same old pile of pish in the same mould as your Brian Kerrs ; (

How can you be sure that we haven't signed anyone, and are just waiting on clearance etc before announcing it?

smurf
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
New strip? Very nice but tbh I'm not interested.

Only interested in who will be playing in them as I use the season ticket I've purchased against my better judgement.

Been far too many years since we had a team fit for the purpose of that jersey.

Over to the Manager and Board....

Lucius Apuleius
08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Happy as long as we have them for going back to training.

S.sct
08-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Great to see a Hibs strip with no sponsors name on it.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Happy as long as we have them for going back to training.

Indeed....:agree::agree::agree:

gbur123ukgb
08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
have to say i am fearful of the quality of player we sign this preseason
when was the last time we signed a true good player who gets fans excited id argue pos not since days of sauzee latapy etc

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
have to say i am fearful of the quality of player we sign this preseason
when was the last time we signed a true good player who gets fans excited id argue pos not since days of sauzee latapy etc

Stokes?

gbur123ukgb
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
yeah stokes i will give you point i was making when was the last time the club spent any decent money on a player and not just one player btw would love to have stokes back but i think he will go down south.
I fear if we dont spend a bit then we are faced with another season of transition ie crap football that makes you eyes bleed.

we need
gk 2 centre halfs as hanlon can play full back
a whole new midfield and two strikers
in order to get any decent standard of player we need to be prepared to extend the wage structure to do that if were playing well and getting far in cups then more fans will support the club.
However i think we will sign same standard of crap players that we have been signing on the whole for the last 10 years apart from maybe a handful of good players in that time.

Barney McGrew
08-06-2012, 02:37 PM

I'm sure if you keep knocking out posts long enough, one of them might eventually have something positive to say about the team you 'support'

gbur123ukgb
08-06-2012, 02:43 PM
why dont we have a share issue with all profits going to wages and transfers or ask fans to pay a small sum of money say try to get 20k hibs fans at the final small amount of say £10 given directly to manager i doubt v much the manager will be given very much in wages of budget could we the fans not do a bit more.
if we have say 10k sts as reported on here that would bring in say 3mill would that figure be given to pf or would that have to include wages etc also if so that is no very much for manager to spend.
just a question guys what can we do to make club great

Famous5forever
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM

I AGREE.

You cant get a leopard to change its spots Petrie get the money splashed now and stop messing around trying to save money.