PDA

View Full Version : Mark Brown

Baldy Foghorn
29-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Mark Brown's Agent (Kevin Drinkell), is set to open discussions with Fenlon over the possibility of a new deal for the keeper...

Not the news I was expecting to hear, with Stack being emptied, I thought Brown would get binned too. Disappointed if Fenlon thinks Brown is worthy of a new deal...

smurf
29-05-2012, 01:03 PM
He is not good enough.

Lucius Apuleius
29-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Drinkell got me two tickets for the final. :top marks. Not from mark Brown I hasten to add.

Regards the OP, I actually quite like Brown.

Rivers Cuomo
29-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I would imagine if Brown did get a new deal it would be on reduced terms and as backup.

We need to sign a commanding no1 over the summer.

Baldy Foghorn
29-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Drinkell got me two tickets for the final. :top marks. Not from mark Brown I hasten to add.

Regards the OP, I actually quite like Brown.

I don't see any plus points in Brown, his kicking is poor, does not command his area, seems to lose goals that are "savable"....Hope that a big keeper who can command his area is a top priority to be honest

JimBHibees
29-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't see any plus points in Brown, his kicking is poor, does not command his area, seems to lose goals that are "savable"....Hope that a big keeper who can command his area is a top priority to be honest

Completely agree with all of that. Personally would be wanting to get rid and bring in either 2 keepers or one really good keeper and back up being one of the younger ones.

Stevie Reid
29-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I would imagine if Brown did get a new deal it would be on reduced terms and as backup.

We need to sign a commanding no1 over the summer.

:agree:

I think that's exactly what Drinkell and Brown will find - we hold all the aces here as he has contributed very little in his time at ER.

Wouldn't mind him staying as back up and on cheaper terms, but I think that PF knows that a new no.1 is a must.

heretoday
29-05-2012, 02:07 PM
He's not a great keeper. Drinkell's got some A-listers on his books eh?

500miles
29-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Brown is a decent keeper. I know its fashionable to slate every player at ER these days, but Brown is the least of our worries.

Hainan Hibs
29-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Would prefer two new keepers but if it means we get another player for another position then I can accept Brown as back-up to a new first choice keeper.

Big Frank
29-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I am hoping we punt almost everyone of the 1st team squad! With stack going I would have thought brown would follow. He had a super dave up at Pittodrie at the end of the season..... but on the whole he is in the "not good enough" camp for me...

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Brown was regarded as a decent enough keeper before he came, what's the point in doing the same exercise only to reduce yet another keeper to not good enough. I believe that with a decent back four Brown will prove to be more than good enough.

Franck Stanton
29-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't be sad if he was allowed to move on to be honest. Not that good a keeper.

darwenhibby
29-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I would get rid of bothe stack and brown and combine their wages to sign a quality keeper.

When we had leighton we used to use chris reid who was ok for a couple of games at a time as back up.

Pity reid and gardiner did not make the grade.

Hibiza
29-05-2012, 02:26 PM
surely not. if we cant find a better 2nd goalie than him, we got probs

ScottB
29-05-2012, 02:37 PM
He's decent enough as a backup, and probably a cheaper option than signing a second new keeper.

If it means our budget and attentions can be better focused elsewhere, then so be it!

Famous5forever
29-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Not for me use the wage to bring in a new keeper with back up from one of our Academy boys

woodyloon
29-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Brown is a decent keeper. I know its fashionable to slate every player at ER these days, but Brown is the least of our worries.

Maybe he is a decent keeper, but if Hibs are serious about rebuilding a team and making it stronger than I don't think he is a decent enough keeper to fill that role.

Any team that wants success needs to have a strong spine in the team, that starts with a commanding keeper who can communicate with players in front of him, amd more important a keeper who is comfortable coming and collect crosses etc. We also need to build a strong centre half partnership and the same with the middle of the park, and a forward who knows were the net is, if we get that then players who are not so good can fit in around them without effecting the team to much.

stalbanshibby
29-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't get this. Mark Brown is pants, he's timid and I think he hides. Why would PF punt Stacky and keep him even as a number 2 if it were just on ability? Stack had much more about him so keeping Stack and finding another goalie with a bit of pedigree would make sense to me as it would create healthy competition.

So it must have been something Stacky did or said? Was Stacky a boozer and is this a symptom of PFs clearing out "disruptive elements"?? And does "disruptive element" equate to a bit of character?

I liked Stack. Young family - wanted to play - defence were much more solid with him in goal.

Confused

:confused:

woodyloon
29-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Maybe he thought Stack was too injury prone. I didn't think there was much between them but I would of favoured keeping Stack over Brown. Another reason might be that Brown was more willling to except a covering role more than Stack was.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Maybe he is a decent keeper, but if Hibs are serious about rebuilding a team and making it stronger than I don't think he is a decent enough keeper to fill that role.

Any team that wants success needs to have a strong spine in the team, that starts with a commanding keeper who can communicate with players in front of him, amd more important a keeper who is comfortable coming and collect crosses etc. We also need to build a strong centre half partnership and the same with the middle of the park, and a forward who knows were the net is, if we get that then players who are not so good can fit in around them without effecting the team to much.

As you have stated that is the accepted norm to build any strong side. I think we may have to lower our expectation levels a bit though unless the purse strings are being cut rather than loosened.

down-the-slope
29-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Brown the better of He and Stack.

Stack always liable to honking errors and came for less crosses in his time that we had home league wins....

Brown is a decent solid keeper BUT his kicking is poor and he does not talk enough or have that 'presence' you ideally want...not unhappy either way if he stays / goes but glad Stacks away....

RIP
29-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I think we should ditch the entire squad every season. It's clearly the only way to put a winning team on the park

There are loads of quality keepers MUCH BETTER than Mark Brown who are out of contract and who would fall over themselves to sign for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, failed to turn up in a cup final, change their manager every season and have a £2k per week :wink: wage cap

Famous5forever
29-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I think we should ditch the entire squad every season. It's clearly the only way to put a winning team on the park

There are loads of quality keepers MUCH BETTER than Mark Brown who are out of contract and who would fall over themselves to sign for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, failed to turn up in a cup final, change their manager every season and have a £2k per week :wink: wage cap

Dont you know we cant have the AGM Unless the Manager is sacked the night before. Its rule 482 in the Rod Petrie rule book.

.Sean.
29-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Strange decision, I'd far rather have kept Stck. Brown's the epitomy of 'meh'.

BoltonHibee
29-05-2012, 03:32 PM
If Fenlon is holding talks with KD over a new contract for Brown, then he should be shown the door with immediate effect......Deary Deary me!

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Stack always liable to honking errors and came for less crosses in his time that we had home league wins....

Brown is a decent solid keeper BUT his kicking is poor and he does not talk enough or have that 'presence' you ideally want...not unhappy either way if he stays / goes but glad Stacks away....

I disagree 100%, i'd have rather kept Stack and punted Brown. For me, Brown is less than average at every aspect of goalkeeping. He like Stack does not like coming off his line, but where Stack wins it for me, is his shot stopping, and organisation of those in front of him.

Brown was all over the shop in that final, doing his usual coming then going back causing havoc with the central defenders. And again saving nothing that went wide of him as usual.

I have a feeling Browns been kept for the bench, and Fenlon wants all traces of the drinking culture gone?

darwenhibby
29-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I disagree 100%, i'd have rather kept Stack and punted Brown. For me, Brown is less than average at every aspect of goalkeeping. He like Stack does not like coming off his line, but where Stack wins it for me, is his shot stopping, and organisation of those in front of him.

Brown was all over the shop in that final, doing his usual coming then going back causing havoc with the central defenders. And again saving nothing that went wide of him as usual.

I have a feeling Browns been kept for the bench, and Fenlon wants all traces of the drinking culture gone?

Punt the two of them.

SRHibs
29-05-2012, 04:26 PM

In a good team I think Mark Brown would be a competent enough keeper. Preferably we'll get someone of a higher calibre as our No.1, but I'm content with having MB as back-up.

Stack was utter garbage. I think people were blinded to this fact as a result of his dedication, and the fact that he was one of the few who 'played for the shirt'.

GreenPJ
29-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Exactly. Brown is a decent keeper and reliable. If you compare him to the second string at Celtic and rangers and any spl keeper he can hold his own. Address the bigger problems like wide midfield and up front.

PapillonVert
29-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Mark Brown's Agent (Kevin Drinkell), is set to open discussions with Fenlon over the possibility of a new deal for the keeper...

Not the news I was expecting to hear, with Stack being emptied, I thought Brown would get binned too. Disappointed if Fenlon thinks Brown is worthy of a new deal...

Unfortunately, Fenlon will be restricted by Hibs' stringent wage policy. We will have, as ever, to take whoever is not wanted elsewhere.

I would imagine that Fenlon has quite a few players in mind whom he would like but if they are able to get more elsewhere, we will probably lose out.

Of course, maybe Hibs have realised that we have to loosen the purse strings a bit...............:thumbsup: ......and maybe the idea is to keep MB as a back-up rather than as 1st choice.

GreenPJ
29-05-2012, 05:31 PM
So if Mark Brown is not good enough for Hibs who should we be aiming at?

jdships
29-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Agree with what you say , almost all anyway !!
From what I hear from my lads at EM's the medics weren't very positive about Stack's long term fitness. This evidently only came to light a couple of weeks ago , hence the fact that Stack was miffed at Fenlon changing his mind.
My take would be Brown will be offered a short term deal and a new No1 will come in

weecounty hibby
29-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I think Brown is ok. He compares well with all of the other SPL keepers outside the OF and I'm struggling to think of anyone else who we could afford to buy or that is free and available.

Stevo1875
29-05-2012, 06:46 PM
brown has experience, he is decent and i reckon he will provide good competition for a young GK who might not be ready to play a full season. i'm happy if he stays. was as decent as stack but less injury prone imo.

Speedway
29-05-2012, 07:15 PM
So if Mark Brown is not good enough for Hibs who should we be aiming at?

Personally, I'd put in a cheeky wee bid for Hoots McBraw at Ardeer Thistle.

erin go bragh
29-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I think Brown is ok. He compares well with all of the other SPL keepers outside the OF and I'm struggling to think of anyone else who we could afford to buy or that is free and available.
Cerny ex hamilton keeper is up for grabs [ would take him before brown]
ggtth

BEEJ
29-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Cerny ex hamilton keeper is up for grabs [ would take him before brown]
ggtth
That would be Cairney, Clancy and Cerny - maybe even all announced on the same day! :greengrin

Having monopolised all the footballers with surnames beginning with 'C' and ending in 'Y', we then move on to the letters 'M' and 'I'.

djs69
29-05-2012, 09:59 PM
there were rumours we were after black, so add that to your list, also known as ****y

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

IWasThere2016
29-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Stack > Brown for me, but as stated above I think the drinking culture will be targeted by PF.

Eyrie
29-05-2012, 10:33 PM
That would be Cairney, Clancy and Cerny - maybe even all announced on the same day! :greengrin

Having monopolised all the footballers with surnames beginning with 'C' and ending in 'Y', we then move on to the letters 'M' and 'I'.
McPakei first, then some short arse Argentinian?

BEEJ
29-05-2012, 10:41 PM
McPakei first, then some short arse Argentinian?
That's the fella! Good squad player, apparently.

:greengrin

Hibs On Tour
29-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I kid you not I'd rather have my old dear between the sticks than Brown - and she's been dead for the past 4 years...

For all his faults, Stack instilled *far* more confidence as a keeper than Brown ever did. If he's been let go because of the opinion of the medics at EM fair enough but we defo need a new #1 in that case because Brown ain't it. As other posters have said, would prefer a new #1 with the youth guys being given a crack as reserve if needed.

Spudster
29-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Exactly. Brown is a decent keeper and reliable. If you compare him to the second string at Celtic and rangers and any spl keeper he can hold his own. Address the bigger problems like wide midfield and up front.

Aldo
29-05-2012, 11:40 PM
If I had the choice it would be Stack... However injury prone so had to go. Brown sorry but after watching him on the 19th then No. Looked v Shaky and doesn't command anything.

We need to build a good spine of the team and that for me means a keeper who can do the basics and well.

GreenPJ
30-05-2012, 07:00 AM
If I had the choice it would be Stack... However injury prone so had to go. Brown sorry but after watching him on the 19th then No. Looked v Shaky and doesn't command anything.

We need to build a good spine of the team and that for me means a keeper who can do the basics and well.

Where was the defence or midfield for him on the 19th. You cannot take that performance as the basis of keeping him or not.

Frazerbob
30-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Given Stack's injury record, I would rather have Brown AS NUMBER TWO. I would imagine we will see a new number 1 coming in as neither are good enough to be first choice IMO.

Thecat23
30-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I spoke to big Stephens in Opal one night about both keepers. He was saying how Brown is a "nice enough lad, but he's to quiet and doesn't help the back four much" He says Stack is always shouting and telling them where he wants them to be.

He was out with Stack though so no wonder he was backing him. I would like to see Hibs bin both keepers and start a fresh. In the whole of Europe i'm sure there is a couple of keepers who would do a job. But then again not sure we scout at all. :confused:

PeterboroHibee
30-05-2012, 07:36 AM

You are kidding right? Alexander and Zaluska would easily be first choice keepers for us, then the likes of Pernis and Randolph are better than Brown. It isnt a personal thing against Brown, he hasnt done anything particularly stupid (eg Smith throwing away a 4 goal lead against Motherwell), its just he isnt a very good keeper.

I also dont think there are bigger problems, we need players brought in for nearly every position, including a keeper.

Hibs_SW
30-05-2012, 11:35 AM
According to todays Evening News Fenlon bids to keep Brown....Another interesting season for hibs i see :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
30-05-2012, 11:41 AM
According to todays Evening News Fenlon bids to keep Brown....Another interesting season for hibs i see :rolleyes:

...according to his agent.

GraniteCityHibs
30-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't get this. Mark Brown is pants, he's timid and I think he hides. Why would PF punt Stacky and keep him even as a number 2 if it were just on ability? Stack had much more about him so keeping Stack and finding another goalie with a bit of pedigree would make sense to me as it would create healthy competition.

So it must have been something Stacky did or said? Was Stacky a boozer and is this a symptom of PFs clearing out "disruptive elements"?? And does "disruptive element" equate to a bit of character?

I liked Stack. Young family - wanted to play - defence were much more solid with him in goal.

Confused

:confused:

I heard something last week from an in-law who works with a good friend of an ex player.

I won't name names, but he was a certain former Aberdeen and Preston NE right back who was slower than a week in jail and was there in the CC era and was emptied by Fenlon. (Rather unceremoniously i'm told) - hope that doesn't give it away to much!

Hart (oops) told his mate that there was some sort of disruption almost daily at EM under Calderwood. No new info there other than that Stack was named as one of the worst which I hadn't heard previously.

Although Brown wouldn't be my first choice, he seems a steady Eddie type who is worth keeping hold of....PROVIDING we sign someone else to be No.1, leaving Brown as back-up.

I'm still hurting as much as anyone from that day but if you think it's possible to empty an ENTIRE squad and re-build the whole thing in ONE transfer window and have a significantly better squad....you're deluded.

GreenPJ
30-05-2012, 12:02 PM
You are kidding right? Alexander and Zaluska would easily be first choice keepers for us, then the likes of Pernis and Randolph are better than Brown. It isnt a personal thing against Brown, he hasnt done anything particularly stupid (eg Smith throwing away a 4 goal lead against Motherwell), its just he isnt a very good keeper.

I also dont think there are bigger problems, we need players brought in for nearly every position, including a keeper.

How do you know Alexander is better he has played 26 times in 4 years. Zaluska may be a better shop stopper but don't get the impression he commands his defence in front of him but again put him in with our defence and compare. Pernis is similar to the guy we signed from Utd previously (can't remember his name now but had dodgy knees), some good spectacular saves but again has solid defenders in front of him and he has forwards that start defending from the front so does not have as much to do in a game. Randolph, what evidence is there he is any better? He has looked competent but don't see anything more in him than Brown.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2012, 12:07 PM
How do you know Alexander is better he has played 26 times in 4 years. Zaluska may be a better shop stopper but don't get the impression he commands his defence in front of him but again put him in with our defence and compare. Pernis is similar to the guy we signed from Utd previously (can't remember his name now but had dodgy knees), some good spectacular saves but again has solid defenders in front of him and he has forwards that start defending from the front so does not have as much to do in a game. Randolph, what evidence is there he is any better? He has looked competent but don't see anything more in him than Brown.

Does Brown stop any shots to make him a decent shot stopper? He certainly does not command his area, in fact does it less than Stack who's been castigated for not doing so.

And as for controlling his back 4, thats a joke right?

Now i dont really watch the other teams in our league, apart from when we play them, but i'd be amazed if any those keepers mentioned above were as bad as Brown?

Famous5forever
30-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Yes i read that article lets just hang fire and see what happens i am more concerned with Paddys judgement if he thinks that Brown is worth re signing he must see something that we are all missing.

truehibernian
30-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd be happy enough with Brown. I think many of our defensive problems, and goals conceded, have been down to an imbalance in the team, a lack of midfield cohesion, and not defending from the top.

We concede easily and readily from the wide areas. The keepers can't really be faulted in my opinion - opposition teams know how to exploit Hibs - play with width. Time and time again our front men don't press, our midfield narrow and don't close down the flanks (especially our left side), and opposition teams don't have to work too hard to find space on the edge of the area, either flank.

Address right and left midfield, and get strikers who work hard off the ball, our keepers will be less busy.

In short, increased workrate and fitness is needed, and natural right and left midfielders. We don't press teams enough, we invite them on to us.

New keeper is required, a dominant voice and leader - but more than happy to have MB as back up goalie.

Andy74
30-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Allright back up. We aren't going to keep happy or afford two keepers better than we have. At least with Stack away it looks like we have something better lined up for first choice.

pacorosssco
30-05-2012, 04:32 PM
money money moeny we have noney, its a debt mans world