PDA

View Full Version : I would like to See a fit GOC back at Hibs

spike220
29-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Once all this court stuff is over, I would liek to see a fit GOC back at Hibs, he has lots of talent and the ability to score goals. Where would we be without his goals this season? I hope he has calmed down about with having a young family in all. I would happy for PF to offer him a new contract at the end of summer when all his court cases are behind him.

GGTTH

Mark79
29-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi Garry.

haggisbaws
29-05-2012, 05:49 AM
a few months of prison food will fitten him up maybe :wink:

Jack
29-05-2012, 05:58 AM
If that's the criteria for getting him back I guess well never see him in a Hibs jersey again.

Green and orange don't go anyway.

Steve-O
29-05-2012, 06:11 AM
He is a total numbskull who will never make the most of his talent. He can go away and stay away.

Beefster
29-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Once all this court stuff is over, I would liek to see a fit GOC back at Hibs, he has lots of talent and the ability to score goals. Where would we be without his goals this season? I hope he has calmed down about with having a young family in all. I would happy for PF to offer him a new contract at the end of summer when all his court cases are behind him.

GGTTH

All the evidence suggests that he hasn't calmed down. I can hope for a date with Charlize Theron but it's not going to happen.

He had his chance. He blew it.

Holmesdale Hibs
29-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Based only on ability, a fit GOC is certainly good enough.

Problem is that we'd be getting a lot of baggage as well which not only means he isn't fit but is a bad influence on others. He had a chance last year, which wasn't all bad to be fair, but given everyone has identified a lack of commitment as a major problem, I don't think it would be a good move.

He's been playing for a long time now and if he hasn't leart his lesson by 30 odd there is a good chance he never will. So in response to the subject of this thread, a fit GOC - yes, but I don't think it's either likely or worth the gamble.

Allant1981
29-05-2012, 07:10 AM
just cant see GOC being at hibs next year, if he is lucky enough not to end up in jail he will still be wanted by teams down in england i reckon.

marinello59
29-05-2012, 07:16 AM
We really could have used a fit Garry O' at the end of this season. Why would we want a player who couldn't be bothered getting himself in to condition and maintaining it?

HH81
29-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I'd get shut, two court cases this summer what kind of a footballer/person is this? :confused:

I would get in someone that cares about training and playing and lets move on.

I will say though in his first spell I thin he was a better player than Deeks and should have done better for himself. :agree:

Shaggy
29-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Attitude, self discipline, a hunger to win....
this is my criteria, I dont think he has it anymore.

Ability is one thing, but it has to be applied and maximized or its a pointless exercise as we have seen from the core of the team the last couple of years,
Riordan as well, still breaks my heart for selling himself short.

Cocaine&Caviar
29-05-2012, 07:52 AM
I do agree with the OP, Griffiths and GoC, if both fit, mentally and physically, are capable of 30 goals a season between them, both hibbies which is a bonus for me, and both have their best years ahead of them.

Obviously a big IF

Pretty Boy
29-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Would love to see a fit, focussed and commited Garry back at Hibs.

Sadly I don't think he has the desire or ability to acheive this.

offshorehibby
29-05-2012, 08:04 AM
We should have had a fit GOC last season but the contempt he's show for a club and fans he's supposed to love dose it for me. He was given a chance to get his life and career back on track but blew it. Na, we need positive committed players not wasters.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 08:07 AM
We cant have it both ways, we apparently want rid of the drinking culture at the club. Well that means getting rid of him fit or not.

DMR1875
29-05-2012, 08:10 AM
A total athlete, dedicated to his sport!

As the police told the court...

The striker was eventually caught after he ran about 300 meters from the officers, and was found shaking and “out of breath,” an officer told the court.

300 meters!! Out of breath!

Sounds like the kind of player we go for. Give him a four year contract.:rolleyes:

PeterboroHibee
29-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Id rather not see him back at the club. He has plenty of talent and could have been some striker, but his attitude stinks and he clearly isnt prepared to put in the work needed.

With the baggage hanging over him, I also dont think its good for the image for the club or for young players coming through.

Jim44
29-05-2012, 08:17 AM

GGTTH

Is that the same Garry O'Connor as the one photographed out on the lash with his Jambo mate on the night of the Cup Final fiasco?

truehibernian
29-05-2012, 08:23 AM
The way I see it, if you truly want to change the culture at the football club, then you have to thank Garry for his efforts and say goodbye. What message after all are we sending to young players, or indeed those that work hard, look after themselves and are kept out the side.

By all accounts his attitude this season has been poor - the transfer window speculation and his behaviour post final - added to that I hear from a coach that he has a real hip problem which needs constant attention.

Younger, leaner, faster players out there. The shame is that GOC is a predatory finisher who in his fitter days was an absolute handful. His goals were fantastic, but his attitude failed to match up to expectations in my opinion. Allegedly touting himself for moves in January sealed it for me - the drugs issue and driving stuff we knew about. It was a risky signing not only on the football front.

Just hope his head clears and he gets 3 or 4 more years playing football at the level he should be - just not at Hibs.

Wilson
29-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Is that the same Garry O'Connor as the one photographed out on the lash with his Jambo mate on the night of the Cup Final fiasco?

May have been but that wasn't the name he gave me...

BEEJ
29-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Younger, leaner, faster players out there. The shame is that GOC is a predatory finisher who in his fitter days was an absolute handful. His goals were fantastic, but his attitude failed to match up to expectations in my opinion. Allegedly touting himself for moves in January sealed it for me - the drugs issue and driving stuff we knew about. It was a risky signing not only on the football front.

Just hope his head clears and he gets 3 or 4 more years playing football at the level he should be - just not at Hibs.
:agree:

I'm surprised that the club has not already announced his departure, before the press coverage from his court case(s) emerged.

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Id rather not see him back at the club. He has plenty of talent and could have been some striker, but his attitude stinks and he clearly isnt prepared to put in the work needed.

With the baggage hanging over him, I also dont think its good for the image for the club or for young players coming through.

This.

Phil MaGlass
29-05-2012, 09:17 AM
**** him, waster,coke heid, not a good role model for kids and out of breath after 300 yards on yir cv "he blew it" no, he snorted it. Good riddance.

Littlest Hobo
29-05-2012, 09:25 AM
He can finish of that there is no doubt but he has no injection of pace anymore.

For that reason alone I say move on and give others an opportunity.

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-05-2012, 09:46 AM
If we want to truly change our club, guys like Garry need to leave.

There are too many issues, Drink, Drugs, Ferraris into walls!!!!!

He is meant to be one of our 'experienced' professionals at 29 years old!!!! He is hardly setting an example.

Just look back at better examples of guys around this age, would Frank Sauzee have been involved with this crap, guys like Gary Smith, Paul Fenwick, Mixu???

Our older guys need to set an example or they can bolt!!! I think many on here still regard Garry as a wee boy with raw talent. At his age he should be setting an example to younger players, not potentially leading them astray!!

Baldy Foghorn
29-05-2012, 10:04 AM

GGTTH

In his last 6 months with us GOC looked a million miles away from being fit, can't run, no pace, and his first touch is abysmal. His court stuff has been well documented, I would punt him right away.

Will never forget him coming down stairs at Hampden, after defeat whilst Doherty was being interviewed, smiling and joking....That is how much he cared about our worst defeat in recent years.....

Leishy1995
29-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I can't see him getting fit. Even when he was here the first time he would gain weight the minute he got injured. So an older GOC isn't going to be able to keep it off. He proved he can play football with his start of the season. All he ever wanted to do.

Treadstone
29-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I am really heartened by the responses to the OP . People are really grasping the individuals who need to leave the club . GOC is never the role model he should be . Give it five years and the tabloid headline will be "I blew it all" . Thanks , but you need to leave.

.Sean.
29-05-2012, 11:09 AM
He's finished. Years of the toot finally catching up with him as we seen last season. He'll never be fully fit.

Golden Bear
29-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks, but no thanks.

:bye:

Gatecrasher
29-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Would love to see a fit, focussed and commited Garry back at Hibs.

Sadly I don't think he has the desire or ability to acheive this.

in a nutshell for me :agree:

smurf
29-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone who sees fit to fanny around in school boy humour after a Cup final humiliation against your main rivals then proceeds to go partying is never going to be fit enough for us.

cad
29-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Times caught up with Gary , all his demons are there for all to see.

bawheid
29-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone who sees fit to fanny around in school boy humour after a Cup final humiliation against your main rivals then proceeds to go partying is never going to be fit enough for us.

:top marks

spike220
29-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Well no need for a poll then.

rubber mal
29-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Get him as far away from Easter Road as possible. I wonder if he'll ever look back at his football career and wish he'd done things differently.

It's my belief that based purely on talent, Scotland's front three should be O' Connor, Riordan & Fletcher, but for a variety of reasons none of them are anywhere near the Scotland squad. Fletcher at least appears to have his head screwed on and is carving out a very good career for himself. The other two have blown it and neither of them is yet in his 30s. Sad.

Hal Jordan
29-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Aside from the fact that he's a big fat lazy git, he is a clown who has blown every chance he's been given and seems to enjoy sullying his own name. The booze culture at Hibs is bad enough, and it goes back a long long way, but ANY player at the club who is clearly guilty of drugs offences should be sacked on the spot for gross misconduct and bringing the good name of the club into disrepute. Especially after the Channel 4 show named and shamed him.
Unless folk think it's alright for a bairn to get a big junky huddy's name on the back of their shirt.
Sorry Garry, yer time's up.

500miles
29-05-2012, 02:40 PM
3 year contract, alcohol and drug tests at EM. If he fails, gets fined and punted without compo.

RIP
29-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Sign that tea total out of contract Sengalese centre forward that's been with ten clubs in the last eight years. I've seen his DVD. Must be better than what we have Shirley? Well within our budget

Pete
29-05-2012, 04:09 PM
3 year contract, alcohol and drug tests at EM. If he fails, gets fined and punted without compo.

I agree. There should be regular tests like this along with fitness tests, perhaps twice a month. If any player fails then its zero tolerance. If fenlon thinks garry would fit into this type of regime then that's great. If not then he should move on.

darwenhibby
29-05-2012, 04:14 PM
O'Conner & Sproule haveused Hibs as a wage pit stop on the way down.

Got to be better out there with better attitudes.

One Day Soon
29-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Absolutely zero tolerance of wasters.

Sunny1875
29-05-2012, 04:57 PM
would welcome GOC back if he is prepared to pay at the gate and take his seat like the rest of us who love the club but are not good enough to be on the park

Keith_M
29-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Are we really supposed to be still grateful for the goals O'Connor scored last season, as if he was some kind of saviour that single handedly kept us up?

His scoring record over the whole season was no more than average and could easily have been matched by any second rate striker.

His off the field behaviour is something that maybe some footballing genius could have got away with but he's been far from that in his second spell at Hibs

HibbyAndy
29-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Are we really supposed to be still grateful for the goals O'Connor scored last season, as if he was some kind of saviour that single handedly kept us up?

His scoring record over the whole season was no more than average and could easily have been matched by any second rate striker.

His off the field behaviour is something that maybe some footballing genius could have got away with but he's been far from that in his second spell at Hibs

Id beg to differ, Infact id beg to differ bigtime.

For the record i think its time we part company with GOC, He is not our problem anymore..BUT, Thanks for the 17 goals Garry that you better believe helped keep us in the SPL. :aok:

weecounty hibby
29-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but I really hope the OP hasn't had a lot of support in his thinking that GOC should be allowed back as a player. The great name of Hibernian is being dragged through the mud by his actions, he is a laughing stock and it is this kind of behaviour that should not be tolerated by our club. I'm getting more stick at work because of him than I did after 19th May!

Thanks for the goals and the memories in the past Garry but please don't darken our door again.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the goals Gary!

You are welcome back at Easter Road anytime whilst serving your community service, brushing the terracing, painting the stand steps,collecting litter etc.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Can we remember the last time we saw a fit O'Connor?

strummbo
29-05-2012, 06:35 PM
for a number of years there has players who openly display and flaunt their bad behaviours. hardly the sort of thing you want while trying to instill some discipline and professionalism.

pf and the board should incorporate expected behaviours into contracts. if found to be consuming drugs yer sacked, if arrested and charged and found guilty yer sacked, if fighting etc yer sacked.

and so on.... many other employers have such additional contractual clauses. i dont see why this would be an issue and it would declare upfront the expected behaviour whilst signed to hibernian fc

start with reviewing the content of contracts

ggtth

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 06:41 PM
for a number of years there has players who openly display and flaunt their bad behaviours. hardly the sort of thing you want while trying to instill some discipline and professionalism.

pf and the board should incorporate expected behaviours into contracts. if found to be consuming drugs yer sacked, if arrested and charged and found guilty yer sacked, if fighting etc yer sacked.

and so on.... many other employers have such additional contractual clauses. i dont see why this would be an issue and it would declare upfront the expected behaviour whilst signed to hibernian fc

start with reviewing the content of contracts

ggtth

The club knew what they were getting when they signed Garry.

strummbo
29-05-2012, 07:00 PM
of course they did. im not solely talking about goc. we are where we are and so is he too, thats a given

im suggesting we include a proper code of conduct. i dont want to pay to watch a bunch of boozy drug takin fools, i can do that with my mates. doesnt make for a very entertaining game though.

lets have some bloomin rules that enforce behaviours. break them, yer out.

HibbyAndy
29-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Can we remember the last time we saw a fit O'Connor?

Can we remember the last time we saw a fit player at Easter Rd?.. Every player blowing out there erse after 20 minutes in every game.

jdships
29-05-2012, 07:31 PM
For me the sad things are having met Riorden three times and GO'C twice away fro ER must admit that neither are among the ' brightest stars in the sky @. Both easy to speak with - but !!!!!!!
Sad to see such latent talent gone to waste as both of them have another three/four years to play at a decent level.
Any poster wonder how they would have gone about things if they had been blessed with the ability these two have/had ?
:greengrin:rolleyes:

son of haggart
29-05-2012, 08:28 PM
For me the sad things are having met Riorden three times and GO'C twice away fro ER must admit that neither are among the ' brightest stars in the sky @. Both easy to speak with - but !!!!!!!
Sad to see such latent talent gone to waste as both of them have another three/four years to play at a decent level.
Any poster wonder how they would have gone about things if they had been blessed with the ability these two have/had ?
:greengrin:rolleyes:

From a Scotland fan's viewpoint it is a great shame that O'Connor has dissipated his talent. He should have had an unbroken spell as the scotland centre forward, and he would have improved the team greatly if he could have just screwed the nut.

Hibercelona
29-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Passion, commitment and hunger (no pun intended :wink:) over a little ability any day of the week.

JohnStephens91
29-05-2012, 09:16 PM
O'Connor can bang the goals in, yes, but what he can't be is a role model and at this moment in time we really badly need role models at the club. Young fans need to look up and see someone putting in a shift on the pitch to be tempted to support the team for the rest of their lives and to have something to talk about when they are older to keep the Hibernian name in tact. Also young players need to have role models to look up to, and O'Connor with his ability and apparent passion for the club would have been good, however his personal life leaves a lot to be desired and so does his fitness. Thank you for the great times and thank you for last season (well the goals anyway) and all the best in your future career Garry, hopefully the next time you are at Easter Road is supporting your club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMK2oRF1Z8

S.sct
29-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Get him as far away from Easter Road as possible. I wonder if he'll ever look back at his football career and wish he'd done things differently.

It's my belief that based purely on talent, Scotland's front three should be O' Connor, Riordan & Fletcher, but for a variety of reasons none of them are anywhere near the Scotland squad. Fletcher at least appears to have his head screwed on and is carving out a very good career for himself. The other two have blown it and neither of them is yet in his 30s. Sad.

100% agree, real shame that at the age of 29 both O'Connor and Riordan look finished.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2012, 09:23 PM
After his behaviour on the night of the cup final, Garry O'Connor should be nowhere near Easter Road next season.

snooky
29-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I would like to see a fitBAW GOC back at Hibs

NOLA
30-05-2012, 12:33 AM
loved garry o while he was here but his time is done, dont want him back, his fitness will only get worse.

Shrekko
30-05-2012, 12:54 AM
On balance it's probably time to wish Garry the best and let him move on but I don't think there's any need for folk to be sticking the knife in quite as hard as they are.

His goals kept us up and he was instrumental in helping us win a cup semi. He is and always has been a daft laddie but let's not downplay his contribution.

Hibs do need to change the culture of the club, but you also need to be careful what you wish for. We need players that can give us something different, and quite often these are the guys who 'need handling'.

Dunbar Hibee
30-05-2012, 04:00 PM
After his behaviour on the night of the cup final, Garry O'Connor should be nowhere near Easter Road next season.

I keep hearing this. What behaviour? Enlighten me.

.Sean.
30-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I keep hearing this. What behaviour? Enlighten me.
He's arsing about with Doherty mate. Having a jolly time by the look of it.

pacorosssco
30-05-2012, 04:26 PM

should be offered a deal but antics as stated mean time to move on. hibs need to step up and start with fit and hungry players. No more has beens

his goals warrant a deal but with the exception of mcapke and grithis after THAT final id bin everyone else. NOT ACCEPTABLE

Dunbar Hibee
30-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Ahh right, I seen that bud, thought it was a different type of behaviour that may have tied in with what I heard, never mind though!