PDA

View Full Version : Learning A Language

The Modfather
28-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking of learning a language, possibly French (if it's good enough for Sauzee it's good enough for me).

Anyone reccomend any evening courses in Edinburgh?

I don't speak a word of French, so it's a beginners course I'm looking for. From a quick look on google, it looks like most courses are 10 weeks, around the £100 - £150 mark. Not sure which one to choose.

Any help much appreciated.

Merci Beaucoup.

CropleyWasGod
28-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking of learning a language, possibly French (if it's good enough for Sauzee it's good enough for me).

I don't speak a word of French, so it's a beginners course I'm looking for. From a quick look on google, it looks like most courses are 10 weeks, around the £100 - £150 mark. Not sure which one to choose.

Merci Beaucoup.

The Council evening classes are pretty good for most languages. They will start in September.

JeMeSouviens
28-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Merci Beaucoup.

That's 2 words already! The Edinburgh Uni ones are meant to be quite good.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/short-courses/languages/for-all/courses/french/level-1

Je vous en prie. :wink:

Sylar
28-05-2012, 03:11 PM
If it's a possibility, take a course this year and then go on vacation to a French speaking country next summer for a couple of weeks or more.

The best way is to be submerged into a culture where you have to speak the language - it's a very quick learning curve, but the best way to learn in truth.

This was the way I learned German, though I was perhaps assisted by 4 German speakers in our department and regular conference trips to Austria and Germany.

(((Fergus)))
28-05-2012, 03:42 PM
You might want to consider the Michel Thomas method as an alternative or supplement. You can try an audio sample here: http://www.michelthomas.com/

yeezus.
28-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm currently learning Gaelic. It's very tricky but I took an introductory course at Aberdeen university. Very interesting language but I might also take up Spanish

The Modfather
28-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I had considered something like Rosetta Stone or Michel Thomas (although hadn't actual heard of that one, so thanks Fergus), but as I never really took to learning a language at school (it was Italian at my school) a classroom course, and a teacher to annoy the hell out of, will probably stand me in the best steed.

The council and uni courses aren't until later in the year, and while there is no rush, I did find a 10 week course in town that starts in 2 weeks. So just got to decide when exactly I want to do it.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Merci Beaucoup.
Get yourself a tasty wee pillow dictionary.

DH1875
29-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Watch all your DVD's in French but with English subtitles on.

heretoday
29-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Best way is to go to France and immerse yourself as suggested.

No point in weekly classroom French lessons!

Is the French Institute still on the go?

Peevemor
29-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Best way is to go to France and immerse yourself as suggested.

No point in weekly classroom French lessons!

Is the French Institute still on the go?

:agree:

The Modfather
31-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Just a wee update, I booked a beginners course at the French Institute at the stary of July.

So if you see someone with a bere (sp?) and pencil moustache munching on a bagguette next season come say bonjour :greengrin

lyonhibs
31-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Just a wee update, I booked a beginners course at the French Institute at the stary of July.

So if you see someone with a bere (sp?) and pencil moustache munching on a bagguette next season come say bonjour :greengrin

Beret. And baguette.

But you'll get there I'm sure :greengrin

Bonne chance!!!

Pete
01-06-2012, 02:54 AM
You might want to consider the Michel Thomas method as an alternative or supplement. You can try an audio sample here: http://www.michelthomas.com/

I have to agree that this works.

Using this method I scored the winning goal in the last minute to win the league in a five-a-side tournament.

I felt tray bon!