PDA

View Full Version : Will Scotland ever qualify for an international tournament again?

andrew_dundee
27-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I just watched the highlights of the 'match' against USA and we were totally brutal. it's been 14 years since we last qualified for anything and we seem to have only regressed since then. I can't think of a worse Scotland team that some of the dross that Potter has served up.

2014 is only two years away and at the moment this team arent capable of beating anyone. Perhaps if we win with the joint bid with Wales and Ireland then we'll get into something at last :p

Leishy1995
27-05-2012, 11:49 PM
We're corrupt and ruin it for ourself. If we didn't serve the old firm constantly other teams might actually grow. And develop more great youngsters.

snooky
27-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Should the Telegraph report on another thread prove to be true, I think it would be embarassing for any national or club side to show face anywhere in the world.

sesoim
27-05-2012, 11:52 PM
With Walter Smith back in charge and the best players getting picked, yes.

We were this bad under Vogts and Burley, yet in between them (while Smith was in charge) we rose about 60 odd places in the world rankings.

I know we haven't got any worldbeaters in our team, but a good manager makes a huge difference.

LeithBoozy
28-05-2012, 12:13 AM
With Potter in charge, you're having a laugh. :rolleyes:

HibsMax
28-05-2012, 12:51 AM
I hope so.

Is it any coincidence that I left 14 years ago?

JohnStephens91
28-05-2012, 01:01 AM
At this moment in time, no. Levein is an awful manager and the squad is dire.

hibee62
28-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Are the next euros not being extended? I would expect we will then qualify and levein will be hailed as a hero.

Not coming second in the last group we had was criminal!

Hainan Hibs
28-05-2012, 06:19 AM
We should have at least hit the play offs in our last two groups after going in as higher seeds after the qualifying campaigns under Smith/McLeish.

What they showed was that with tactics and a bit of organisation an average side like Scotland can get results against some quality teams and push for qualification. If it hadn't been for the disaster in Georgia McLeish would've had us in the Euros.

Levein has to go now, he won't, but he has too. The group we have for qualifying is the most open out of them all, any team could finish top, any team could finish bottom. If we brought in a new man who brought back Fletcher, could display use of tactics and organisation, and didn't have an obsession with picking English players from League 1, then we would have a chance.

With Levein I'd recommend going to Ladbrokes and asking for the odds of us finishing last in the group.

Also, it doesn't help when Levein is "one of the boys" with the media. Burley and Vogts would have been destroyed for the results Levein is producing.

EH75
28-05-2012, 06:36 AM
When you look at the players available when everyone is fit, then its actually not a bad squad, certainly better than we had 10 years ago and not significantly worse really that Ireland some of the other smaller counties that have qualified in recent years. Unfortunately under the current manager and some of his bizzarre decisions, I can't see it. We will get pumped in the first few qualifiers and he will be out on his arse this time next year. Hopefully we will then get in someone competent who can take us to the Euros in France 2016. This tournament is being expanded anyway so it should theoretically be easier to qualify.

The main diffference between us and Ireland is a manager who knows how to organise a team. They also have a genuine top class striker in Robbie Keane which is a big difference. If only we had a top class striker.....

The team is not as bad as the result in the USA suggests. The manager most certainly is.

PeterboroHibee
28-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I hope so but we wont under Levein. The football is far too negative, he is too stubborn in his selections and the persistance with certain players (eg Miller or CMS) means we are very limited. His main strength at United was signing promising, hungy young players from lower leagues and bringing out the best in them. It took Houston coming in for them to really push on achieve what they should have under Levein. This is not something that can really be transferred to the national team, although he has tried to do it by bringing in all these English players who qualify through the granny rule. You need to work with what you can, and plenty of promising young Scottish players have missed out on the opportunity to play for Scotland. A shame really.

Jack Ferrigan
28-05-2012, 08:16 AM

We were this bad under Vogts and Burley, yet in between them (while Smith was in charge) we rose about 60 odd places in the world rankings.

I know we haven't got any worldbeaters in our team, but a good manager makes a huge difference.

I agree but one wee problem Craig Levein is not a good manager. He has shown from the start that he has no idea tactically of how to put a decent international team together. He was decent enough at Dundee United but I think he is not up to international standards. As any player will tell you it's a huge leap from club football to international football. Unfortunately Craig Levein fell at the first hurdle.

SlickShoes
28-05-2012, 08:37 AM
We will qualify again at some point because every now and then some rank rotten team manages to get through.

We won't qualify for anything in the next 10-15 years though, as a youngster one of the things I always wanted to do was follow Scotland to the Euro's or a World Cup since it looked so amazing on TV, as soon as I reached the age that would be possible we haven't qualified yet so I assume we will next qualify around the time I die.

McKenzie
28-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Alex Mcleish is out of work, he had a decent enough spell as manager. Get him signed up and punt Potter

yeezus.
28-05-2012, 08:57 AM

:top marks

Exactly. Levein is just so defensive, predictable and boring.

Nailrod
28-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Will Scotland ever qualify for an international tournament again?

We absolutely will, and what's more, it will be very soon.

Our team have been excellent recently, with some great results, and the US defeat was most unlike them. We will take it on the chin and we will be much better next time. We have to recognise that there are two teams and I thought the USA were very good. Football is about highs and lows and this was a disappointment. This is football and there are only three things that can happen – you could win, you could draw or you could lose. This time, we lost. Losing five goals is disappointing, no more than that.*

*All the above worthless platitudes and mind-boggling drivel courtesy of Planet Levein, where bonkers people live...

Broken Gnome
28-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Should the Telegraph report on another thread prove to be true, I think it would be embarassing for any national or club side to show face anywhere in the world.

What one was that?

ScottB
28-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Not if we continue on the current path, though we may always fluke our way into one, which will in a way be worse, as it will validate the Levein grand plan.

Our entire game, from kids level to SPL is a joke. A bad one. If countries the size of Belgium can produce world class players, if countries with almost half our population like Uruguay can reach the semi finals of world cups then it puts are own pitiful efforts into sharp focus.

We need a total change of culture, from how kids are taught the game, how they expect to live their lives and a league structure that allows them to thrive.

Mon Dieu4
28-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Even if we hosted a tournament we would find a way not to qualify, just the way we have been the last 14 years

strummbo
28-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I doubt it.

Scottish football is in decline and has been for a number of years

The players based in Scotland are hindered for a number of reasons

THe players baased in England have at least applied some common sense to leave the leagues in Scotland but are somewhat inferior to anglo's of old

So... to answer the question. No!

Who is to blame for the decline... the SFA, the SPL, SFL...

1 uniting body, 1 supremo in charge...

Too many blazered buffoons about that all argue and deflect accountablity and responsibility always remaining consulted and interested

this does not work. DOncaster, Reagen and GOld need to produce a strategy that joins them all up but they wont do that they will maintain the status quo

@rses!

Seveno
28-05-2012, 12:42 PM
If we stick with Potter, we'll qualify when our Group draw is :

Lichtenstein
Litchenstein u-21's
Litchenstein Ladies

........ on goal difference.

Hibrandenburg
28-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Not if we continue on the current path, though we may always fluke our way into one, which will in a way be worse, as it will validate the Levein grand plan.

Our entire game, from kids level to SPL is a joke. A bad one. If countries the size of Belgium can produce world class players, if countries with almost half our population like Uruguay can reach the semi finals of world cups then it puts are own pitiful efforts into sharp focus.

We need a total change of culture, from how kids are taught the game, how they expect to live their lives and a league structure that allows them to thrive.

Correct, nowadays kids are more attracted by the lifestyle of the professional game than the game its self. We have to get that changed first and it ain't gonna happen.

erin go bragh
28-05-2012, 05:51 PM
We should have at least hit the play offs in our last two groups after going in as higher seeds after the qualifying campaigns under Smith/McLeish.

What they showed was that with tactics and a bit of organisation an average side like Scotland can get results against some quality teams and push for qualification. If it hadn't been for the disaster in Georgia McLeish would've had us in the Euros.

Levein has to go now, he won't, but he has too. The group we have for qualifying is the most open out of them all, any team could finish top, any team could finish bottom. If we brought in a new man who brought back Fletcher, could display use of tactics and organisation, and didn't have an obsession with picking English players from League 1, then we would have a chance.

With Levein I'd recommend going to Ladbrokes and asking for the odds of us finishing last in the group.

Also, it doesn't help when Levein is "one of the boys" with the media. Burley and Vogts would have been destroyed for the results Levein is producing.
This :agree: :top marks

Hibs Class
28-05-2012, 06:32 PM
When I was younger we got to the World Cup finals of 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and 1990. Five in a row was not a fluke, we punched above our weight and even though we struggled with qualification for the Euros in that period we did well to qualify for all those WCs. We had a national expectation of qualification. We never got beyond the group stages but that was a fair reflection of where we were, albeit in several of the campaigns we under performed. After missing out in USA 1994 we made it through to France 1998 - having qualified for 6 out of 7 between 1974 and 1998 was a pretty good record and one to be proud of. And it gave us optimism for the future.

Since then we've missed out on 2002, 2006 and 2010 and I'd be amazed if we qualify for 2014. Missing out on 1994 was seen as a blip, but the norm for us for the foreseeable future is routinely missing out and if we do fluke our way to any more finals it will be a blip and, more likely than not will end in embarrassment.

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I certainly hope so. I guess it would help if the manager actually picked the best Scottish players instead of suplementing his squad with inferior "non scottish" players who see the opportunity to play international football and take it without really understanding what it means to pull on the Scotland shirt.

snooky
28-05-2012, 06:54 PM
What one was that?

This one ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9293521/Rangers-given-licence-to-compete-in-SPL-after-U-turn.html

Bostonhibby
28-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Potters yer man, Curlings the game.................otherwise no.

Surely the Curling community will be interested in a guy with his track record and his naturall inclination to surround the area that needs to be defended with as many defensive objects as you can fit in.

If we ever actually get to host a tournament that will be our only chance but please not with this guy pulling the strings, Andy Webster will be about 60 and however much he bends over I can't see him tempting Weir back.

SouthamptonHibs
28-05-2012, 08:41 PM
We'll never qualify for a tournament wi Levein in charge. he doesn't pick the best players and hes way out off his depth with his football knowledge v other national coaches. The quicker he leaves the better for Scotland

DH1875
28-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Did we end up going for the Euros with Ireland and Wales? With them doubling the amount of teams in them I reckon we should qualify more often.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Not under Craig Levein, we won't.

Sammy7nil
28-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes we will and soon I think.
I want harry out but I think we will go close for Euro 2016.

Scotland have a far better chance of winning the WC than the OF have of winning the CL :greengrin

PatHead
28-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Co-incidental we have a worse qualification record since Murray took over at Rangers

(give or take a qualification until all his signings took over and we all tried to keep up with sub standard imports)

superfurryhibby
29-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree with the posters who are highlighting Levein's managerial ineptness as a significant obstacle. I feel we have a better group of players than we have had for some time. With organisation and some tactical awareness we should really be able to match the likes of Ireland and other smaller nations who have qualified. Unfortunately, it will take another failed campaign to have Potter punted.

Haymaker
29-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Unless the game is shaken up by the roots the no.

Monitored coaching to help improve grass roots coaching standards. This includes fa coaching workshops for youth clubs.

Better education on healthier living.

Introduction of games such as Futsal at school level.

The Green Goblin
29-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Unless the game is shaken up by the roots the no.

Monitored coaching to help improve grass roots coaching standards. This includes fa coaching workshops for youth clubs.

Better education on healthier living.

Introduction of games such as Futsal at school level.

Totally agree with that. All the kids play Futsal here: by themselves in the playground, during PE lessons and competitively against other schools. They also play a half-sized pitch until they are about 13-14.

Haymaker
29-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Totally agree with that. All the kids play Futsal here: by themselves in the playground, during PE lessons and competitively against other schools. They also play a half-sized pitch until they are about 13-14.

Futsal is only professional (IIRC) in two countries in the world, Brazil and Spain. To me, there can be no arguement against the introduction of Futsal at youth level, it breeds so much that can be taken into the full game.

I also think it is brilliant for schools, all you need is a hall roughly the size of a basketball court, two small goals and a futsal ball. Most schools struggle with available playing facilities and it is an indoor sport - all weather.

Hermit Crab
30-05-2012, 10:32 AM
At this moment in time, no. Levein is an awful manager and the squad is dire.

This, and we will not qualify for another tournament while bird brain picks those gash OF and 2nd rate championship players. I've not been to a Scotland
game for over 15 years and have no desire to go to any until the corruption is sorted out. SFA grow a pair and empty him FFS

Spike Mandela
30-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I read that from 2016 that the teams qualifying for the Euro's would be increased to 24 teams. This represents our best chance to qualify for an International competition so 2016 or 2020 would be my guess for our next participation.

green glory
30-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Once Rangers are dead and Harry Potter is gone, we'll maybe have a fighting chance.

Lost_Mackem
30-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I hope so then maybe the highlight of every other Summer for you will not be watching England fail. :rolleyes:

DH1875
30-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I hope so then maybe the highlight of every other Summer for you will not be watching England fail. :rolleyes:

It's a good way of spending your summer though :thumbsup:.

Famous5forever
30-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I just watched the highlights of the 'match' against USA and we were totally brutal. it's been 14 years since we last qualified for anything and we seem to have only regressed since then. I can't think of a worse Scotland team that some of the dross that Potter has served up.

2014 is only two years away and at the moment this team arent capable of beating anyone. Perhaps if we win with the joint bid with Wales and Ireland then we'll get into something at last :p

Not with Harry Potter in charge.

beensaidbefore
30-05-2012, 03:43 PM
We will qualify again at some point because every now and then some rank rotten team manages to get through.

We won't qualify for anything in the next 10-15 years though, as a youngster one of the things I always wanted to do was follow Scotland to the Euro's or a World Cup since it looked so amazing on TV, as soon as I reached the age that would be possible we haven't qualified yet so I assume we will next qualify around the time I die.

lol, me too. used to take it for granted that we would be there at every tournament.

beensaidbefore
30-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Its not that i want to see them fail necessarily, its just that I support two teams. Scotland and whoever England are playing!!:greengrin