PDA

View Full Version : 2012 French Open

Sir David Gray
27-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Not a great start for Britain, although it wasn't unexpected.

Elena Baltacha has just lost on day one against Sam Stosur, 6-4 6-0.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Another British loss today as Laura Robson followed Elena Baltacha out in the first round.

Robson lost 6-2 6-1 to Anabel Medina Garrigues.

Number one seed in the women's draw, Victoria Azarenka, got a major shock against Alberta Brianti. She was 7-6 4-0 down and within two games of going out in round one but that was about as good as it got for Brianti as Azarenka went on to win 12 of the last 14 games to win 6-7 6-4 6-2.

Defending champion, Li Na, won 6-2 6-1.

In the men's draw, world number one, Novak Djokovic, had a tough opening set against Potito Starace before eventually coming through in a tie-break and then it was straightforward from there as he went on to win 7-6 6-3 6-1. He now plays Blaz Kavcic, who beat Lleyton Hewitt, in round two.

Former champion, Roger Federer, also had a straight sets win over Tobias Kamke, 6-2 7-5 6-3 and he now plays Romanian Adrian Ungur, who beat David Nalbandian.

Defending champion, Rafael Nadal, and British number one, Andy Murray, are both playing their first round matches tomorrow along with the remaining British women, Anne Keothavong and Heather Watson.

Sylar
28-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Out of interest FH, what's the script for the Olympics and tennis?

Does the ATP tour stop to allow them to play or do the players have to make a choice?

Sir David Gray
28-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Out of interest FH, what's the script for the Olympics and tennis?

Does the ATP tour stop to allow them to play or do the players have to make a choice?

There's not going to really be much of a change from what normally happens to be honest.

The tour doesn't stop but the only other tournament that is scheduled in at the same time as the Olympics is a 500 event (the level below a Masters event) so a lot of the top players wouldn't necessarily be playing in that anyway. But obviously for any of the lesser players, they will have to choose between the Olympics and the tournament in Washington DC. I don't think there will be much competition there to be honest!

It will be quite hectic after the Olympics though as the Canadian Masters are beginning the day after the tennis in London finishes and this is one of the main tournaments in preparation for the US Open at the end of August.

It will be quite funny to see tennis being played in Wimbledon, without the players all being decked out in white for a change, although I don't imagine that the courts will be as pristine as they will be in a few weeks' time when Wimbledon begins.

PatHead
28-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Would love to go to Wimbledon sometime but the snobbery would probably do my head in. Take it Olympics are sold out?

Sir David Gray
28-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Would love to go to Wimbledon sometime but the snobbery would probably do my head in. Take it Olympics are sold out?

There's no more tickets available in the courts themselves, however there are still tickets for access to "The Hill" on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Priced at £10.

PatHead
29-05-2012, 05:07 PM
There's no more tickets available in the courts themselves, however there are still tickets for access to "The Hill" on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Priced at £10.

Would be interesting but don't think I'll go to London to sit on a grassy hill rather than a court. London will be manic during Olympics.

PatHead
29-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Murray through but not as easy as straight sets looks on paper. 2nd set was squeaky bum time.

Anyone know about his next opponent other than Murray has 3 0 record according to ITV3

Twiglet
29-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Oh my word! I thought that game was going to go on all night! Serena Williams out! So many mistakes from both players. great win, but I think that Razinne won't go much further though. too many mistakes and she looks shattered' even with a days rest it's alot to recover from.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Murray through but not as easy as straight sets looks on paper. 2nd set was squeaky bum time.

Anyone know about his next opponent other than Murray has 3 0 record according to ITV3

Jarkko Nieminen isn't a bad player, very experienced and has been ranked as high as 13th in the world.

However in the past two or three years, he hasn't been as successful and he hasn't been past the 2nd round of a Grand Slam since 2008.

If Murray plays anywhere near his best, he should win quite comfortably.

Oh my word! I thought that game was going to go on all night! Serena Williams out! So many mistakes from both players. great win, but I think that Razinne won't go much further though. too many mistakes and she looks shattered' even with a days rest it's alot to recover from.

It's a stick on certainty that Razzano will lose in the next round now!

She now plays a young Dutch girl called Arantxa Rus who must be absolutely delighted with tonight's result.

Also a really good result for Heather Watson today as she beat Elena Vesnina in straight sets. She is now the only remaining British woman in the draw as Anne Keothavong went out today.

Sir David Gray
30-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Roger Federer was made to work for his progress into round 3 against little known Romanian Adrian Ungur.

After winning the opening two sets and dropping just five games along the way, Ungur forced an unlikely fourth set by winning the third set on a tiebreak. However Federer wasn't to be denied and he came through 6-2 6-3 6-7 6-3.

It was Federer's 234th Grand Slam victory in his career, which is a new record. It is an incredible stat when you think that it's only possible to win 28 Grand Slam matches every year.

He won his first Grand Slam match in 2000 so that works out as him winning 18 out of 28 Grand Slam matches every single year for 13 years. That is just amazing consistency and he is undoubtedly the greatest tennis player of all time.

Novak Djokovic is also looking for his own piece of history as he aims to be the first man in the Open Era to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time. He saw off Blaz Kavcic in straight sets, 6-0 6-4 6-4.

Tomorrow is the turn of Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal. Murray is first up on the main Philippe Chatrier court as he plays Jarkko Nieminen at 10am (British time) and then Nadal plays Denis Istomin at around 2pm (British time).

Heather Watson also plays her second round match against Julia Goerges and she will be on at some point around 3 or 4pm (British time).

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Murray to me looks like he's wincing.

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Medical time out for Murray..Serving at about 50 miles an hour. He's gonna retire i think.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Why did he not pack it in at the end of the set? He isn't doing himself any longer term favours.

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Why did he not pack it in at the end of the set? He isn't doing himself any longer term favours.

Agreed.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Seems to be a bit looser as the temperature rises, not too sure its sensible though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Murray takes set 2, admirable effort!
Nieminen's head seems to be all over the place, could be interesting!

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Nae danger is Nieminen winning now, Murray playing at 60% percent and still took 9 out of the last 10 games!..Make that 10/11 and takes the set 6/1 !

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Aye, its some turnaround.

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Nieminen's heid must be pickled, Im certain he thought he was gonna get a walkover way back at the start of the match, Now he looks totally bubbled.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Murray wins 3 1, I wonder what price he was on Betfair at the end of the first set.

PatHead
31-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Avoided the score all day and watched it on Sky+ this evening. Wouldn't have put 10p on him finishing the match. From post match interviews seems he had problem before match. Hope he gets it sorted in time for his next tie. Anyone know anything about him? Must admit I thought the Aussie would have won

Sir David Gray
31-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Didn't see the match today but I gather that he was really struggling at the end of the first set and even at the end of the match, he was moving quite gingerly.

He now plays Santiago Giraldo in round three and Murray has only played him once so far, which was earlier in the year at Barcelona and he beat him quite comfortably.

If he's recovered by Saturday, he should beat Giraldo but I think that might be as far as he'll go as a meeting with Richard Gasquet looks likely in the last 16 and if Murray's not 100% then he will struggle to get past him.

Rafael Nadal looked pretty impressive today against Denis Istomin, winning 6-2 6-2 6-0 and he'll now play Eduardo Schw*nk in the third round.

Murray is now the last remaining Brit left in the singles draw as Heather Watson lost in straight sets to Julia Goerges.

Also another mention for John Isner.

After his amazing match at Wimbledon a couple of years ago against Nicolas Mahut, which he won 70-68 in the final set, it was looking like it was going in a similar fashion during his match against Paul-Henri Mathieu today. However, it wasn't quite as long as that match and Mathieu eventually won 18-16 in a final set that lasted about 2 and a half hours.

HibbyAndy
31-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Avoided the score all day and watched it on Sky+ this evening. Wouldn't have put 10p on him finishing the match. From post match interviews seems he had problem before match. Hope he gets it sorted in time for his next tie. Anyone know anything about him? Must admit I thought the Aussie would have won

Aken a wee bit about him mate.. He beat Tomic who IS a better player but Tomic is not that good on clay and not that experienced..Andy Murray at 70% would still beat him in straight sets no bother atall..Just hoping Andy is fit enough come Saturday for the next match tho..Showed that never say die attitude today and had no right whatsoever!!! to finish the game today but that will be the patriotic side in Andy burning through..A fit Andy Murray is good enough (Again) To reach the semi's but i wouldnt be to disheartened if he pulled out as he wont win it..Get yersel fit and ready for Wimbers where he has a fantastic chance of winning. Still nice to see Nieminen going from being smug to thinking he was getting a walkover in the 1st set to getting battered barely an hour later. Love him or hate him Andy Murray is a born winner!.

Sir David Gray
31-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Why am I not allowed to name Rafael Nadal's next opponent in full? :confused:

Fair enough, censor really bad words but that is the guy's name and there MUST be a way of allowing names that just happen to contain bad words, to be printed in full on here!

That is just ridiculous! :bitchy:

CropleyWasGod
31-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Why am I not allowed to name Rafael Nadal's next opponent in full? :confused:

Fair enough, censor really bad words but that is the guy's name and there MUST be a way of allowing names that just happen to contain bad words, to be printed in full on here!

That is just ridiculous! :bitchy:

Just be grateful he doesn't come from S****horpe :greengrin

Sir David Gray
31-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Just be grateful he doesn't come from S****horpe :greengrin

That's another one that really annoys me.

I used to run a really cheap message board and I had the option of allowing innocent words (like sc*nthorpe and Schw*nk) to be printed in full but words like ****** and w**k were censored.

Surely the admins have the option of doing something similar!? :bitchy:

In fact, I know they can because "feckless" used to be a word that was censored on here and now it's not but the word fe*k is still censored!

It's extremely irritating.

lyonhibs
31-05-2012, 10:53 PM

I used to run a really cheap message board and I had the option of allowing innocent words (like sc*nthorpe and Schw*nk) to be printed in full but words like ****** and w**k were censored.

In fact, I know they can because "feckless" used to be a word that was censored on here and now it's not but the word fe*k is still censored!

Far more importantly, Nadal's next opponents surname is "Scw-an act of self pleasure"??

That's brilliant - makes me think back to a 3-1 victory of Dundee United at ER a few years back when a very young David Goodwillie got their consolation. No-one had much of a clue who he was, so when the announcer gave his name, there was a quality ripple of childish s******ing (there's one that avoids the admin's vice like pedant grip) in the East.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Happy days! Its Ana Ivanovic time! :-)

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh well, Ana has left the building.

New balls please!

PatHead
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Aken a wee bit about him mate.. He beat Tomic who IS a better player but Tomic is not that good on clay and not that experienced..Andy Murray at 70% would still beat him in straight sets no bother atall..Just hoping Andy is fit enough come Saturday for the next match tho..Showed that never say die attitude today and had no right whatsoever!!! to finish the game today but that will be the patriotic side in Andy burning through..A fit Andy Murray is good enough (Again) To reach the semi's but i wouldnt be to disheartened if he pulled out as he wont win it..Get yersel fit and ready for Wimbers where he has a fantastic chance of winning. Still nice to see Nieminen going from being smug to thinking he was getting a walkover in the 1st set to getting battered barely an hour later. Love him or hate him Andy Murray is a born winner!.

Only problems I can see in him going out too early are

1.Could be an effect on his World ranking. Think I read somewhere that other players are catching him up a bit and he would lose points as he made the semis last year. This in turn could affect draws for next year.
2. I want to see him next week playing David Ferrer! :greengrin

McSwanky
01-06-2012, 11:54 AM

How dyou think I feel? :wink:

If you find that 'extremely irritating' I suggest that you chillax.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
How dyou think I feel? :wink:

If you find that 'extremely irritating' I suggest that you chillax.

That's actually a good point.

How have you managed to get your username displayed in full, without any of it being censored?

Although, when you quote one of your posts, your name gets bleeped out! :confused:

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Good match on just now between Roger Federer and Nicolas Mahut.

Federer leading two sets to one but it's 4-4 in the fourth set, Mahut just breaking Federer's serve to get back equal.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Good effort from Mahut but Federer goes through 6-3 4-6 6-2 7-5.

He'll now play the "lucky loser", David Goffin from Belgium in the last 16.

HibbyAndy
01-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Good match on just now between Roger Federer and Nicolas Mahut.

Federer leading two sets to one but it's 4-4 in the fourth set, Mahut just breaking Federer's serve to get back equal.

I didn't like how Federer didnt show the hand of apology to Mahut when He hit the net and bamboozled the player winning the point, Ive never ever liked Federer and he went way wayyy down in the estimation of mine even further so by being a total fanny at that point, Still Djokovic will empty him soon enough.

Poor poor show Roger, :agree:

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Murray is on at around 12pm today against Santiago Giraldo.

Hopefully he'll have recovered from his back spasms and can get into the last 16.

HibbyAndy
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Andy getting ready to start, Like you say FH lets hope his back is much better.

jodjam
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Good win. First serve percentage was better and back looks to be holding up. Now to get Gasquet out for an easier route to the quarters.

jodjam
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Really enjoying Jim Courier's commentary on ITV. His one liner when Wozniaki lost her first set was a good yin

"she's been beaten like a red headed step child"

Sir David Gray
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Good, straightforward win for Murray today.

It'll be a tough ask to get past Gasquet though.

I can see that going the distance and Murray will really have to be at the top of his game to win.

Hibs Class
04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Watching Murray's match just now - a couple of dubious points but no hawkeye which I assume is for the entire tournament rather than just on this court. What's the point in the umpire getting off his chair, trotting over to the line and pointing vaguely at where it might have bounced? Can they genuinely tell or is it just for show?

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Apart from the first set Murray was brilliant against a far superior, up until now, clay court player.

Great performance, i would still only give the remotest of chances of winning the tournament.

After saying all that, what fantastic entertainment!

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Watching Murray's match just now - a couple of dubious points but no hawkeye which I assume is for the entire tournament rather than just on this court. What's the point in the umpire getting off his chair, trotting over to the line and pointing vaguely at where it might have bounced? Can they genuinely tell or is it just for show?

The only thing more laughable is the lack of goal line technology in football.

Umpire - i saw where the ball bounced, i'll climb down off my chair, walk 20 yds then point to the exact same spot, aye ok then!

Sir David Gray
04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Didn't catch the match today at all but I was following it through the French Open website and when I saw that Gasquet had won the first set 6-1, I really expected him to go on and win.

But I believe that Murray really stepped it up from there and he blew Gasquet away in the end. It was a good result for him because I really thought Gasquet would beat him today.

It will be a massive test for him in the quarter finals now though as he takes on David Ferrer. He's a brilliant competitor and he's quite possibly even fitter than Murray.

Murray has never beaten Ferrer on clay before and he's only won one set out of a possible seven in those three matches as well. If he's going to reach the semis, Murray will need to play a really brilliant match.

There's four really exciting quarter finals this year.

Murray vs Ferrer should be a great match.
Djokovic vs Tsonga could be a classic and may see a potential shock if Djokovic doesn't improve from his match against Seppi.
Federer vs Del Potro could also be one that goes the full distance and Del Potro has the ability to cause problems there.
Nadal vs Almagro really shouldn't be a close contest as Nadal is just so great on clay and Almagro has only ever taken two sets off Nadal in seven matches but Almagro has got this far without dropping a set and has just knocked out Janko Tipsarevic in the last round.

Personally, the only player who I think is guaranteed a place in the semis is Nadal.

The other three matches really could go either way although you've obviously got to fancy Djokovic and Federer. The Murray-Ferrer match is really too close to call.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
FH, I know you love ur tennis, was I right in saying Gasquet was the main man on clay between the 2 before this match?

I feared the worst after the first set, but, some of the shots Murray played subsequently were ridiculous!

I think he will go out in the next match tho!

FH - Keep an eye out for a point that will be played on tv again and again, murray played 3 hugely defensive shots from in the crowd and still managed to hit a winner! point of the tournament so far!

Except for every point in Sharapova's match on Mon afternoon for East European lady reasons!

Hibs Class
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
FH, I know you love ur tennis, was I right in saying Gasquet was the main man on clay between the 2 before this match?

I feared the worst after the first set, but, some of the shots Murray played subsequently were ridiculous!

FH - Keep an eye out for a point that will be played on tv again and again, murray played 3 hugely defensive shots from in the crowd and still managed to hit a winner! point of the tournament so far!

Except for every point in Sharapova's match on Mon afternoon for East European lady reasons!

Watching the match, there was one point that Murray won where he forced Gasquet out to the right and then played a winner into the empty left side of the court, and the commentators made the point about how slow Gasquet was to recover and at least give himself a chance of returning the next ball. They made the comment that Federer, Nadal etc. would have recovered much more quickly and bounced back into position. Don't know how fair that was, but in a few of the following points the same observation could have been made. Don't know if that means Gasquet wasn't quite up for it, or if it was a reflection on the quality of Murray's play. I'd fancy Murray in the next match but then think that may be it.

HibbyAndy
05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Tsonga has blown 4 match points.. To be fair he realistically only had one decent chance of winning the match the other 3 points Djokovic totally dominated.

Djokovic leveled at 2-2 sets each and the French support deserted Tsonga! Truly unbelievable...Its like Murray having 4 match points at Wimbers and blowing them all and the opponent leveling at 2 sets each Then the crowd leaving!! Im staggered by the French sometimes i truly am..Get right behind there man then leave him on his own for the 5th and final set?? Disgusting!....Currently 4-1 Djokovic, Tsonga has gone.. Truly truly disgusted by the French support of Tsonga, Throw in the fact they whistle when opponents HAVE THE GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO QUESTION IF THE BALL IS IN OR NOT!!!!!!!.................French open is a no no for me..The most arrogant people in the world!.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Not really.

Yesterday was the 3rd time that Murray had played Gasquet on clay and they were tied at 1-1 in their head-to-head. Gasquet did beat Murray a couple of weeks ago at the Rome Masters but Murray actually beat him a couple of years ago at the French Open, coming back from two sets down.

There's no doubt that Gasquet is a good player though and I just had a feeling that he would win yesterday so Murray did well in getting past him.

David Ferrer is a different prospect altogether though!

I didn't see either of today's matches but I believe they were pretty special. Djokovic really was on the edge against Tsonga and really should have gone out as he saved FOUR match points!

Federer also looked down and out at two sets down against Del Potro but I suppose that's why he's won 16 Grand Slam titles.

A dream semi final for Friday with Federer vs Djokovic and it will be a repeat of last year's semi final which saw Djokovic's first defeat in 2011.

Just hope it's going to be Murray vs Nadal in the other semi!

R'Albin
06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Does anyone have an idea where I might watch this on Italian TV? Long shot I know :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Eurosport?

iwasthere1972
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Does anyone have an idea where I might watch this on Italian TV? Long shot I know :greengrin

Italy. :wink:

R'Albin
06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Italy. :wink:

Thanks, sorted now :tee hee:

HibbyAndy
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Hope Murray nails this little scroat. Currently a set doon tho.

Andy74
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
You can tell Murray is a Hibby. Obvious talent but just doesn't have it in the heid to win at the right times.

HibbyAndy
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Play suspended..Funny tho eh...In the 1st set Murray was ROUNDLY booed when they thought he wanted play suspended through rain yet at 1-1 set all with Murray well on top Ferrer signals frantically to the umpire he wants play suspended with another rain downpour and the crowd you can here a pindrop??!!! Seriously what has Andy done to pish the French off?? Is it cause he beat Gasquet??.

Murray to win this match for me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
If he cuts down on the unforced errors on his forehand I can see him winning.

HibbyAndy
06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
If he cuts down on the unforced errors on his forehand I can see him winning.

Dinnae ken what channel your watching Hutch but im oan itv2 And Jim Courier is spot on, Ferrer can only play one way..Murray on the other hand has all the variety...Has all the shots in his locker, If the 2 players play to there best Andy Murray will win.

iwasthere1972
06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Play suspended..Funny tho eh...In the 1st set Murray was ROUNDLY booed when they thought he wanted play suspended through rain yet at 1-1 set all with Murray well on top Ferrer signals frantically to the umpire he wants play suspended with another rain downpour and the crowd you can here a pindrop??!!! Seriously what has Andy done to pish the French off?? Is it cause he beat Gasquet??.

Murray to win this match for me.

They haven't got over us whipping their fitba team twice in 2007.

The tennis is also on Eurosport.

Andy can win this one.

Hainan Hibs
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
2 sets to 1 now for Ferrer, hard one for Murray now.

If I was him and pulled it off though I'd be giving it a Leigh Griffths special to the crowd.

:giruy:

iwasthere1972
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Excellent break by Murray.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Dinnae ken what channel your watching Hutch but im oan itv2 And Jim Courier is spot on, Ferrer can only play one way..Murray on the other hand has all the variety...Has all the shots in his locker, If the 2 players play to there best Andy Murray will win.

I'm on ITV4, Murray laying it on a plate for Ferrer, 52 unforced errors (13 games worth!) by Murray.

iwasthere1972
06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Hibs should sign up Andy. He knows where the net is.

Too many unforced errors and beating himself up.

It's not over until Lisa Riley sings.

lyonhibs
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Andy Murray fails to play to his best in the latter stages of a Grand Slam.

In other news, Pope re-confirms dedication to Catholicism and Mr B. Ursus is photographed defecating in a wooded area.

Same old, same old. All the talent, not the mentality.

heretoday
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Andy is infuriating. Does anyone know the extent of his reported injury? Only that can excuse for me his adolescent attitude when he loses a game. You don't catch the big three doing that and he'd better cut it out if he wants to join them.

I know clay isn't his best surface but for heaven's sake.

Sir David Gray
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Not surprised in the slightest by this result, in fact I might even have been more surprised if Murray had won.

It was possibly the toughest draw that he could have had in the quarter finals.

Ferrer is a really tough opponent for anyone to face and particularly on clay.

Having said that, I fully expect him to go out in the semis to Nadal.

Sir David Gray
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Well done to Sara Errani who has just made her first ever Grand Slam final after beating Sam Stosur in 3 sets.

Errani was absolutely nowhere up until this year and was struggling to break inside the top 50 in the rankings. However she made the quarter finals in Australia in January and her win today means that she will now be guaranteed a place in the top 10.

I think this will be her big final though as I really can't see her beating either Petra Kvitova or Maria Sharapova in the final.

Sir David Gray
07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Easy victory for Maria Sharapova against Petra Kvitova, 6-3 6-3.

She'll also be world number one for the first time in 7 years and will be aiming to win her first ever French Open title and complete a career Grand Slam.

PatHead
07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Back from France this evening. Great experience just a shame Murray couldn't pull it off> Seemed as though he never got momentum going- whenever he broke Ferrer he got broken straight back. The rain break couldn't have come at a worse time as he had just won a set and held his serve. The French crowd were excellent with a large number encouraging him, particularly the youngsters. Suppose clay was never going to be his surface and he can push on for grass and hard court.

Says a lot when we are disappointed at him going out in quarters and not suffering his usual semi defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Once again it'll be the two best players in the world contesting a Grand Slam final as Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic both won in straight sets today.

Nadal absolutely hammered his fellow Spaniard, David Ferrer, earlier today and Djokovic has just beaten Roger Federer 6-4 7-5 6-3. Federer will be kicking himself in that second set, being 3-0 up and TWO breaks up and still losing it. He was never going to win after losing that set.

So, either way, history will be made on Sunday as it will either be Rafael Nadal becoming the first man to win a seventh French Open title or Novak Djokovic becoming the first man for over 40 years to hold all Grand Slam titles at one time.

If this match is anything at all like the Australian Open final back in January then I cannot wait!

Sir David Gray
10-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Has no-one been watching this today? :confused:

Amazing turnaround in the final. Nadal absolutely dominated the early stages of the match and looked well on his way to becoming the first man ever to win seven French Open titles as he lead 6-4 6-3 2-0.

However, Djokovic then went on an unbelievable run by winning eight consecutive games, the most that anyone has ever won against Nadal on clay without reply. This allowed him to take the third set 6-2 and then he went 2-0 up in the fourth set.

Nadal did hold his serve in the final game of today before the weather called a halt to proceedings but there's no doubt that Djokovic is in the ascendancy just now and Nadal will be thinking that he shouldn't even have to be coming back tomorrow, considering how far in front he was at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal comes out tomorrow and actually ends up winning the fourth set and therefore the match, although after watching previous matches between these two, anything could end up happening tomorrow to be perfectly honest!

Play is supposed to restart at 12pm (British time) tomorrow although that may change as the forecast for Paris tomorrow is terrible.

jodjam
11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Has no-one been watching this today? :confused:

Amazing turnaround in the final. Nadal absolutely dominated the early stages of the match and looked well on his way to becoming the first man ever to win seven French Open titles as he lead 6-4 6-3 2-0.

However, Djokovic then went on an unbelievable run by winning eight consecutive games, the most that anyone has ever won against Nadal on clay without reply. This allowed him to take the third set 6-2 and then he went 2-0 up in the fourth set.

Nadal did hold his serve in the final game of today before the weather called a halt to proceedings but there's no doubt that Djokovic is in the ascendancy just now and Nadal will be thinking that he shouldn't even have to be coming back tomorrow, considering how far in front he was at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal comes out tomorrow and actually ends up winning the fourth set and therefore the match, although after watching previous matches between these two, anything could end up happening tomorrow to be perfectly honest!

Play is supposed to restart at 12pm (British time) tomorrow although that may change as the forecast for Paris tomorrow is terrible.

It's another classic between these two. Didn't give Nole a chance when 2 sets and a break down but he's a fighter. I also think Nadal will get this done in 4, but whoever wins, this is sport being played at it's very best.

heretoday
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Djocky looks a bit out of sorts today.

Pretty Boy
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Great acheivement for Nadal.

Only a couple of years since it was heavily rumoured his career was all but over due to his knees.

Comes accross as a nice guy into the bargain.

PatHead
11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Great win for Nadal which puts him, quite rightly, as one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Been the best player throughout the tournament winning his matches with ease.

Wonder how Djokovic will react to his double fault at the end. Can only imagine what we would be saying had Murray finished the game like that!

Sir David Gray
11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Absolutely fantastic achievement by Nadal. To win seven French Open titles is an amazing feat in itself but to reach that number at only 26 years of age is just incredible.

This win puts him on 11 Grand Slam titles overall and level with Bjorn Borg, only 3 behind Pete Sampras and 5 behind Roger Federer.

With possibly another 4 or 5 years left in him at the very top, I don't see any reason why Rafael Nadal cannot become the greatest player of all time.

It was always a likely outcome that Nadal would come out today and overturn the deficit early on and go on to win that fourth set and that's exactly what happened. If I'm being honest, I think Djokovic's chance died last night when play was suspended for the day. He was clearly on a high at that point and had Nadal rattled.

It's amazing what a night's rest and a chat with your team can do for you!

It's on to the grass court season now and with the beginning of Wimbledon just two weeks away, Nadal will be looking to get his 3rd title at SW19, whereas Djokovic will be looking to defend the title that he won last year and to also get over the disappointment of losing out today.

I don't think anyone could bet against the possibility of the Wimbledon final on 8th July being played, once again, between Nadal and Djokovic, in fact I would be surprised if it wasn't.

heretoday
11-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I have to say I'm looking forward to Wimbledon (and the Open Golf) far more than the Euros or the Olympics.