PDA

View Full Version : Mark Brown v Stack

stalbanshibby
25-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I much preferred Stack to Mark Brown, and with Stacky going I hope PF isn't tempted to keep him. Everytime I've seen him play he looks myopic and uncommanding. There was an incident in the cup final that sums him up - ball came in from Driver, McPake cleared it at the front post. Brown then has a go at McPake for not letting the ball come through to him, because on that one occasion he was well positioned to take it. However there was no shout or communication. I reckon the back four think he's a bomb scare. He does the basics OK, but I reckon Stack has much more about him (apart from being injury prone). Anyhoo - don't understand why Brown hasn't been punted - hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Liams
25-05-2012, 07:00 AM
I much preferred Stack to Mark Brown, and with Stacky going I hope PF isn't tempted to keep him. Everytime I've seen him play he looks myopic and uncommanding. There was an incident in the cup final that sums him up - ball came in from Driver, McPake cleared it at the front post. Brown then has a go at McPake for not letting the ball come through to him, because on that one occasion he was well positioned to take it. However there was no shout or communication. I reckon the back four think he's a bomb scare. He does the basics OK, but I reckon Stack has much more about him (apart from being injury prone). Anyhoo - don't understand why Brown hasn't been punted - hopefully it's just a matter of time.

I don't think PF will punt him until a replacement is found, its just a waiting game

Hibs7
25-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Neither of the two inspire confidence I would have Sussed out a replacement and punted both of them.

scoopyboy
25-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I don't think PF will punt him until a replacement is found, its just a waiting game

Not a case of not letting him go until a replacement is found.

He is out of contract very soon so its a case of offer him a deal or he walks.

YehButNoBut
25-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Quite liked Stack but we do need a decent reliable keeper from somewhere, anyway some of Stack's better moments below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsR4HVhWk1k

brog
25-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I posted on here months ago that a decent keeper was a priority & was ( mostly ) shouted down. I'm sure a few opinions have changed since then. FWIW I thought Stack was far superior to Brown, more importantly so did PF. With Stack gone I'm sure Brown will soon follow.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Stack had his moments but was never able to play a good run of games due to being injured at crucial times. I never saw much difference between him and Brown (used to prefer Brown, in fact), but there is no denying that Brown has conceded a load of goals when he has had a run in the team, and that his kicking was very poor (leading to us losing possession from many of his kick outs. I'm sure Stack will have a superior clean sheet record but has made many errors this season, starting from the very first goal he conceded v Celtic.

We can get better than the two of them.

Seveno
25-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Stack first, last and always compared to Brown but still not good enough. We need a keeper that can will come out and deal with a high cross.

suavegav
25-05-2012, 05:25 PM
We need a new goalie. Cammy Bell would do me. Reliable and consistent.

sahib
25-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Stack had his moments but was never able to play a good run of games due to being injured at crucial times. I never saw much difference between him and Brown (used to prefer Brown, in fact), but there is no denying that Brown has conceded a load of goals when he has had a run in the team, and that his kicking was very poor (leading to us losing possession from many of his kick outs. I'm sure Stack will have a superior clean sheet record but has made many errors this season, starting from the very first goal he conceded v Celtic.

It's years since we had a decent goalie. Stack was the best in the last ten years.

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm going to miss big Stacky: a big character and decent shot stopper. I hope he gets something lined up soon. I can only assume PF has something lined up.

Hibercelona
25-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I actually rated Stack and think he played a huge part in keeping us up.

He did have his moments where he'd flop at a cross here and there, but the only real costly blunder I recall him making was against St Johnstone (i think) when the ball slipped through his legs. But almost any goal keeper has one of those moments at some point.

I thought he was solid overall.

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I actually rated Stack and think he played a huge part in keeping us up.

He did have his moments where he'd flop at a cross here and there, but the only real costly blunder I recall him making was against St Johnstone (i think) when the ball slipped through his legs. But almost any goal keeper has one of those moments at some point.

I thought he was solid overall.

:agree: Especially given that if they were perfect they'd be nowhere near the SPL at all.

calumb
25-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Dont know if its been mentioned here but reports in the irish press that ex bohs keeper brian murphy is about to be released by QPR and could rejoin Fenlon at Hibs,

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Dont know if its been mentioned here but reports in the irish press that ex bohs keeper brian murphy is about to be released by QPR and could rejoin Fenlon at Hibs,

I'm sure we were interested in him a few years ago, but he signed for someone in England, maybe a championship side? (Ipswich) :confused:

I'm pretty sure they spent a decent bit of money, and he was highly rated at the time. I have never seen the lad play, so no idea if he's decent or not?

VPHIBEE
25-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Spot on, I never saw why he was rated. Great shot stopper at times, but never commanded the box IMO. Also prone to bombscares on a regular basis. A good keeper should be a fundamental part of our rebuilding.

Jonnyboy
25-05-2012, 09:58 PM

If he's coming can we make sure Rod signs the right guy? :greengrin

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=brian+murphy&hl=en&biw=1271&bih=853&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=5C1UKiiT8eVocM:&imgrefurl=http://wizadoraskitchen.webs.com/apps/photos/photo%3Fphotoid%3D99266611&docid=eoGLWE9bacPWQM&imgurl=http://wizadoraskitchen.webs.com/photos/Wizadora-Actors-now/bmurphy0.jpg&w=253&h=399&ei=VQDAT-b1NMKy8gPn6LzPCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=175&vpy=144&dur=2816&hovh=282&hovw=179&tx=85&ty=145&sig=107232263895233833641&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=88&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:137

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2012, 10:06 PM
If he's coming can we make sure Rod signs the right guy? :greengrin

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=brian+murphy&hl=en&biw=1271&bih=853&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=5C1UKiiT8eVocM:&imgrefurl=http://wizadoraskitchen.webs.com/apps/photos/photo%3Fphotoid%3D99266611&docid=eoGLWE9bacPWQM&imgurl=http://wizadoraskitchen.webs.com/photos/Wizadora-Actors-now/bmurphy0.jpg&w=253&h=399&ei=VQDAT-b1NMKy8gPn6LzPCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=175&vpy=144&dur=2816&hovh=282&hovw=179&tx=85&ty=145&sig=107232263895233833641&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=88&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:137

I saw a programme a few months ago about sexy women on the telly in the 70's, and honestly without a word of a lie, Yootha Joyce was in the top 10. :confused::confused::jamboak::jamboak: She looks like the typical jambo, after being skelped in the face with a pitch fork.

Jonnyboy
25-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I saw a programme a few months ago about sexy women on the telly in the 70's, and honestly without a word of a lie, Yootha Joyce was in the top 10. :confused::confused::jamboak::jamboak: She looks like the typical jambo, after being skelped in the face with a pitch fork.

Yootha Joyce?????????? Who the hell was judging it? Stevie Wonder? Ray Charles?

For our younger readers, here's the 'chick' in question :greengrin

http://photos.lucywho.com/yootha-joyce-photo-gallery-c15585668.html

RickyS
25-05-2012, 10:42 PM
http://www.footballcourier.com/news/story/1155549/goalkeeper-graham-stack-hits-out-after-axe-from-hibs/full_story.html

cabbageandribs1875
25-05-2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.footballcourier.com/news/story/1155549/goalkeeper-graham-stack-hits-out-after-axe-from-hibs/full_story.html

“I’ve got an idea in my own mind of what has happened but I’m not going to start arguing with the manager. I have to respect his decision

so tell us then :confused:

Jonnyboy
25-05-2012, 10:48 PM

"FREED keeper Graham Stack last night hit out at Hibs after insisting the club axed him a month after he was told he’d be handed a new deal."

He'd probably have dropped it anyway

RickyS
25-05-2012, 10:51 PM
"FREED keeper Graham Stack last night hit out at Hibs after insisting the club axed him a month after he was told he’d be handed a new deal."

He'd probably have dropped it anyway

:greengrin

Cauld Bovril
26-05-2012, 09:24 AM
The two of them aren`t good enough, we need a commanding keeper who knows how to boss his defence. I`ve always hated the term "good shot stopper", every keeper should be a good shot stopper, it`s the other things like decison making, confidence, positioning, etc that seperates the good from the great.

Harpandcastle
26-05-2012, 09:44 AM

When Fenlon signed for us I read a few posts on Bohs forums where some of their guys were saying it was a cert Pat would make a move for Murphy at some point. They all rated him highly, sure he got into the Irish squad a couple of times.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2012, 11:15 AM

I know John, even blind folk couldn't in a million years think she's a honey?

I was dumbstruck when her face came up, apparently she was a real flirt with the men, and oozed sexuality????????????????????? :greengrin

PISTOL1875
26-05-2012, 12:38 PM
“I’ve got an idea in my own mind of what has happened but I’m not going to start arguing with the manager. I have to respect his decision

so tell us then
:confused:

Basically he got emptied because to be a decent keeper , you have to be able to leave your line every now and again..

Sunny1875
26-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Basically he got emptied because to be a decent keeper , you have to be able to leave your line every now and again..

Basically got Emptied as PF sees the need to have a more professional squad, if he could have organised his defence as well as he could organise a night out he might still be playing for Hibs.

calumb
26-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Basically got Emptied as PF sees the need to have a more professional squad, if he could have organised his defence as well as he could organise a night out he might still be playing for Hibs.

i would love to know who's decision it was to withdraw the contract, has petrie finally allowed his manager to make player decisions? Or did something major happen with stack behind the scenes that forced the issue?

I hope it is something like that as i would hate to think that Fenlon ever felt that stack was a capable keeper worth keeping.

green glory
26-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Yootha Joyce was no oil painting that's for sure. Interestingly though there are re-runs of the the Liver Birds on in the morning at the moment. Nerys Hughes in her prime, and the occasional appearance of Paula Wilcox ad Beryl's sister ensures I 'get up' in time for work every morning. Oooeerr!

hopefulhibby
26-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm going to miss big Stacky: a big character and decent shot stopper. I hope he gets something lined up soon. I can only assume PF has something lined up.
I think Stacky is going to be hard to replace, very popular with the players and a good lad to be around by all accounts, best of luck to him what ever he does.

Andy74
27-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I think Stacky is going to be hard to replace, very popular with the players and a good lad to be around by all accounts, best of luck to him what ever he does.

Being popular and a good lad are quite far down my list of must haves for a decent keeper to be honest.

3pm
27-05-2012, 09:43 AM

I am sure she had a nice personality...

erin go bragh
27-05-2012, 09:31 PM
TBH ,i would rather have a keeper that commands his box ,comes for crosses and all his team mates thinks he is a right tosser but a brilliant keeper :cb

ggtth

Holmesdale Hibs
27-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I thought Stack was decent and probably our best keeper since Daniel Andersson. Brown is decent as well but Stack is marginally better IMO. Personally, I'd have kept him. IF, as was said in the papers, Hibs told him he was getting a new deal then went back on it, then that's a poor way for the club to be treating the players.

While being popular in the dressing room isn't top of the list of priorities, I think a team will benefit players that can lift morale when it's low. Like Ally McCoist, for example. But that shouldn't be a reason to keep a player and so long as we don't sign someone who is actively disruptive then that's a suitable enough personality for me.

Lungo--Drom
27-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Stacky or Broonie, both got major flaws but both better than Ma-Kalamity by a mile, but I think we should punt the pair of them TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IihhAnqJDv8

Totally agree we need someone with the same calibre as Cammy Bell or (gets out pipe of wisdom) Peter "The Girvan Lighthouse" McCloy :P

lucky
27-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Stack is injured to often and is a mediocre keeper who is shocking at crosses.

Brown poor at kicking and never really saves anything you would not expect him to save. Average at best

A new keeper with experience is a must. We can use the kids as back up.

Nailrod
28-05-2012, 09:34 AM

"I was told by the gaffer about a month ago, after I had picked up the injury, that there would be something for me this summer..."

Wonder what Stacky thought the "something" was? Maybe he was expecting a new pair of concrete boots bolted to a railway sleeper on the goal line...

Stevie Reid
28-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I thought Stack was decent and probably our best keeper since Daniel Andersson. Brown is decent as well but Stack is marginally better IMO. Personally, I'd have kept him. IF, as was said in the papers, Hibs told him he was getting a new deal then went back on it, then that's a poor way for the club to be treating the players.

While being popular in the dressing room isn't top of the list of priorities, I think a team will benefit players that can lift morale when it's low. Like Ally McCoist, for example. But that shouldn't be a reason to keep a player and so long as we don't sign someone who is actively disruptive then that's a suitable enough personality for me.

Sadly that isn't too much of an achievement - what we'd give to have a keeper like Andersson again. Andersson lost the occasional goal from always coming to take crosses - Stack continually lost goals from never coming for crosses.

JimBHibees
28-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Being popular and a good lad are quite far down my list of must haves for a decent keeper to be honest.

Yep it isnt a popularity contest a decent proficiency in goalkeeping skills is slightly more important. :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
28-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Sadly that isn't too much of an achievement - what we'd give to have a keeper like Andersson again. Andersson lost the occasional goal from always coming to take crosses - Stack continually lost goals from never coming for crosses.

Agreed, but it still makes him our best keeper in 8 odd years. I'm happy for him to leave if we can find someone better but that won't be easy with our budget and I think it would be a more efficient use of our limited scouting resources to look at outfield players first as IMO, that is a bigger problem. But if we can find a better replacement, which I guess isn't beyond the realms of possibility, I'll happily come on here and admit I was wrong.

Anyone know what is happening with Brown?

Squealing pig
28-05-2012, 11:56 AM
i dont think you can judge a keeper til the defence is sorted think they 2 could do a job with proper protection
compared to some of the keepers if seen in hibs jersey. but i hear what you say about stack and a crossed ball he struggles with them only flaw i can see all be it a big one. sign keeper from dundee utd imho

TornadoHibby
31-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Saw Stack at David Lloyd working out with free weights last night! Suppose he's got to keep himself in shape if he's looking for a new club! :agree:

Wasn't making much effort to speak to people tbh but then some guys in the gym tend to be a bit like that! :rolleyes: