PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United Method

JohnStephens91
24-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Apparently Dundee United say something along the lines of 'Our club is a stepping stone in your career, if you do well here you'll get noticed and can make a move easier to Celtic, Rangers or a club down south' and it gets the players who are coming into the club performing really well. Plus I think they have a good scouting system to enable them to find players ie Jon Daly from Hartlepool.

While it demeans the club, it makes it a better attraction to the prospective players. Would anyone be opposed at Hibs being used like this?

PeterboroHibee
24-05-2012, 09:25 PM
It doesnt demean the club as theyve generated a lot of cash from it, and they accept thats the position they are in. Its the perfect model for an SPL club though imo, they have a solid base of SPL players and just bring in what they need through what is clearly a very good scouting system. Offer young players the chance to prove themselves, which brings success to the club and eventually the player can move on.

Sammy7nil
24-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Apparently Dundee United say something along the lines of 'Our club is a stepping stone in your career, if you do well here you'll get noticed and can make a move easier to Celtic, Rangers or a club down south' and it gets the players who are coming into the club performing really well. Plus I think they have a good scouting system to enable them to find players ie Jon Daly from Hartlepool.

While it demeans the club, it makes it a better attraction to the prospective players. Would anyone be opposed at Hibs being used like this?

100% no for me we all know it happens but no need to shout about it.

Hibercelona
24-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I would say to my players, if you play out of your skins in every game and always give it your all for the badge, then you won't need to move to Rangers or Celtic in the future, because this club would soon be bigger and better than the both of them.

Sumner
24-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Isn't this exactly what the Hibs board have done anyway??

Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Murphy, Fletcher.. kaa-ching!!

Cocaine&Caviar
24-05-2012, 09:43 PM
It doesnt demean the club as theyve generated a lot of cash from it, and they accept thats the position they are in. Its the perfect model for an SPL club though imo, they have a solid base of SPL players and just bring in what they need through what is clearly a very good scouting system. Offer young players the chance to prove themselves, which brings success to the club and eventually the player can move on.

What cash have they generated???

Their recent performers left for nothing: Conway, Bauben, Gomis, Flood was at Cardiff first time round. The only player I remember them receiving a fee for is Goodwillie.

Captain Trips
24-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I think the days of the club suggesting we will let you move on are all but over, if the players feels it is time to move they go.

JohnStephens91
24-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Isn't this exactly what the Hibs board have done anyway??

Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Murphy, Fletcher.. kaa-ching!!

I mean it in the sense of plucking a player from a lower division, rather than from the youth academy, that way the player may be more hungry to perform and secure a better paycheck elsewhere.

PeterboroHibee
24-05-2012, 09:58 PM
What cash have they generated???

Their recent performers left for nothing: Conway, Bauben, Gomis, Flood was at Cardiff first time round. The only player I remember them receiving a fee for is Goodwillie.

Quite a few million for Goodwillie, they got around £300k for Allan who had barely played for them. Recently turned down a couple of bids for players that were over £1 million (sure the players involved were Russell, Mackay-Stevens and Gunning). They do seem to lose quite a few players on a free but by selling on a few good players here and there they have made a good effort at clearing their debt. Finishing 3rd or 4th for the last few seasons has also helped them financially.

hiblander
24-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Neale Cooper (Hartlepool manager and former Don cup winner) used to be the former Ross County manager who County beat 3-0 pre season when they were second division (County). Mackay Stevens former county youth...

In answer to your question...Hibs are a selling club...all Scottish teams are a selling club...this happens anyway there is no advertising about it its fact.

JohnStephens91
24-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Neale Cooper (Hartlepool manager and former Don cup winner) used to be the former Ross County manager who County beat 3-0 pre season when they were second division (County). Mackay Stevens former county youth...

In answer to your question...Hibs are a selling club...all Scottish teams are a selling club...this happens anyway there is no advertising about it its fact.

Yes but if you mention it to a player with bigger aspirations than the SPL then he is more likely to accept a contract. If you go to a club like, say Aberdeen, who don't advertise the fact that they are a club who will look to let players go onto bigger and better things, then a prospective player won't join them. The fact that Dundee United openly advertise the fact to players is why they may be doing so well, because a player is almost always in the shop window.