PDA

View Full Version : Creating a fortress

The_Todd
24-05-2012, 07:38 PM
No, I don't mean pulling all the cushions off your sofa and building a fort in your living room, I mean turning ER into a fortress. Let's face it, 2 wins in a season doesn't indicate it's a venue to be feared for opposition fans and players.

What can be done to overcome this, to make opposition players think twice before taking the game by the scruff of the neck and owning us all over the park? Well, better players yes but that's out of my hands - that's up to Rod and Pat. What about the choice of music in the build up to kick off and when the teams come out? For me I think there's too much "nice" music. Hibs Heroes, Glory Glory and all that are perfectly good Hibs songs but it doesn't get the blood pumping or the adrenaline going.

Anyone got any views on this or am I just being too fussy over minor details which won't actually make any difference?

Personally, when the players come out I'd like our players to link arms and stare down the opposition while "The Game" by Motorhead is playing hopefully veins popping out of their heads. It's full of energy, confrontational and defiant both in terms of music and lyrics. Any WWE watchers will know this song well:

IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JF8oSxXtM&noredirect=1

Macaroon
24-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I think we would be laughed to death if we did that tbh. Can you imagine Lewis trying that? :cb

What needs to happen, which hopefully will come back with the higher crowds, is playing Sunshine on Leith before every game again. Get the fans really up for it and remind the players the team they are playing for and get them really up for it.

Hermit Crab
24-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Personally I think we lost our intimidating home when we redeveloped the East terracing.

matty_f
24-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Personally I think we lost our intimidating home when we redeveloped the East terracing.

It had nothing to do with the stand and everything to do with the quality on the pitch.

The best way to make Easter Road a fortress is to put together a team good enough to win games (or at the very least not lose them) at home. If we have players battering into tackles, winning 50/50's, chasing the lost causes and all the rest of the cliches, then Easter Road would have a great atmosphere the majority of the time, and that would be enough to rattle opponents.

The fortress starts on the pitch and is supplimented by the fans, not the other way round, IMHO.

Hibercelona
24-05-2012, 07:54 PM
ER was a fortress under Yogi to begin with as I recall.

At some point, something major must have happened behind the scenes to cause us to flop so badly.

We need to get that level of consistancy back some how. But with an almost completely new squad next season, it's hard to predict how everything is going to pan out.

I believe the fans can play a huge part in putting pressure on the opposing team. The atmosphere is totally dire at times, although understandably so.

Sas_The_Hibby
24-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I think we would be laughed to death if we did that tbh. Can you imagine Lewis trying that? :cb

What needs to happen, which hopefully will come back with the higher crowds, is playing Sunshine on Leith before every game again. Get the fans really up for it and remind the players the team they are playing for and get them really up for it.

NO, definitely not! If it gets played every game, it becomes meaningless, in my opinion, and loses all impact. Keep it for special occasions - the law of diminishing returns and all that.

Albion Hibs
24-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I would settle for a decent atmosphere and take it from there. I think at times as a support we give our team a far harder time than any opposition will. I dont think it is any surprise that we are a better team away from home.

I would agree with the above that the east stand being replaced has not helped. Our most vocal supporters are up the back of the stadium as opposed to being on top of the opposition. I also dont see the sense in having away fans next to the west stand, again putting them over towards the east stand would create a lot more banter, shouting and singing between fans. Two minor things, but none the less would improve the atmosphere.
If we can get the players playing in a decent atmosphere with a home crowd shouting for them then I think by defaut we create a fortress.

hiblander
24-05-2012, 08:00 PM
In a different sport and continent Yes.....!

but at Easter Road it will go down like the WWF WorldWildlifeFund did for the yanks !!!:aok:

Matty_Jack04
24-05-2012, 08:02 PM
It had nothing to do with the stand and everything to do with the quality on the pitch.

The best way to make Easter Road a fortress is to put together a team good enough to win games (or at the very least not lose them) at home. If we have players battering into tackles, winning 50/50's, chasing the lost causes and all the rest of the cliches, then Easter Road would have a great atmosphere the majority of the time, and that would be enough to rattle opponents.

The fortress starts on the pitch and is supplimented by the fans, not the other way round, IMHO.

Spot on

matty_f
24-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I would settle for a decent atmosphere and take it from there. I think at times as a support we give our team a far harder time than any opposition will. I dont think it is any surprise that we are a better team away from home.

I would agree with the above that the east stand being replaced has not helped. Our most vocal supporters are up the back of the stadium as opposed to being on top of the opposition. I also dont see the sense in having away fans next to the west stand, again putting them over towards the east stand would create a lot more banter, shouting and singing between fans. Two minor things, but none the less would improve the atmosphere.
If we can get the players playing in a decent atmosphere with a home crowd shouting for them then I think by defaut we create a fortress.

The bit in bold is spot on, and I'd add to it that we give our team a harder time than we give the opposition.

Not that I especially condone this sort of thing specifically, but who remembers singing songs about Robbo's wife, or booked for being ugly, a "you hearts ******" song, the Richard Gough song, the *player's name* w..k w..k w..k song...

I love the fact that the singing section are predominantly pro-Hibs with their singing, but I'd dearly love to see some proper grief given to the opposition through games.

That's probably all very wrong and politically and socially incorrect, but **** it, it's what I think!

Gez1875
24-05-2012, 08:54 PM
sack the d.j, he plays some and sounds like a 3rd rate local radio d.j, he cuts songs when it gets to the uplifting part...... and up until recently he made the teams come out to a gash techno tune, that u wouldn't hear in the worst eastern european nightclubs..... BUT this has nothing to do with why teams come and make easter road their own. it hasn't always been this way, but, since the second half of yogi's stint we have been poor on the pitch, this has had knock on effect with the support, every season we have got a little worse and the enthusiasm has been completely drained from the crowd, with the exception of the singing section, who 'god bless them' keep singing and have sang through some awful performances on the pitch. we need to try and look at the club and the players playing for the club as 2 different entities! this is our club, it was our fathers club and our grandfathers club, and it will be our childrens childrens club, when the players go the club stays the same, when the players get beat its eleven individuals that got beat, the club keeps cheering coz thats what we do, we cheer the club.... not the players, and if we do that, the players wont know the difference, they'll get the lift! you dont get players like u used too, these guys couldnt give 2 about the club, they r just balling booting egos. 'WE' are hibernian f.c!

DH1875
24-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Take all the seats out the FF Lower and make it a standing area. Put the 12th man, section 43, singing section or what ever their called now a days in there. Have banners and flags and stuff hanging from the FF upper down over the nutters below until kick-off. Once the teams have come out the banners drop creating bedlam. Fill in the corner between the FF and the East and make a smoking section so anyone who wants to smoke can get a ST for there. The amount of folk out the back of Hampden at half time having a fag was unreal. The smoking ban should't be under estimated when looking at attendance drops.
SOL shouldn't be used at every game.

Hibercelona
24-05-2012, 08:57 PM
The bit in bold is spot on, and I'd add to it that we give our team a harder time than we give the opposition.

Not that I especially condone this sort of thing specifically, but who remembers singing songs about Robbo's wife, or booked for being ugly, a "you hearts ******" song, the Richard Gough song, the *player's name* w..k w..k w..k song...

I love the fact that the singing section are predominantly pro-Hibs with their singing, but I'd dearly love to see some proper grief given to the opposition through games.

That's probably all very wrong and politically and socially incorrect, but **** it, it's what I think!

:agree:

We should be putting pressure on the opposition by all means necessary.

If we're capable of putting our own players off, then surely we're capable of putting off the opposition? :greengrin

YehButNoBut
24-05-2012, 09:08 PM
We should copy St Pauli who play in Hamburg, the match day is an event and teams come out to AC/DC's Hells Bells with everyone waving flags with skull & cross bones as their symbol.

Cracking atmosphere described here http://traveller.easyjet.com/features/2011/01/football-hamburg-st-pauli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllre9qu8Hw

Alfred E Newman
24-05-2012, 09:14 PM
They could not have had any better backing than they got on Saturday and they could not respond. It was the opposite in fact.

RIP
24-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Take all the seats out the FF Lower and make it a standing area. Put the 12th man, section 43, singing section or what ever their called now a days in there. Have banners and flags and stuff hanging from the FF upper down over the nutters below until kick-off. Once the teams have come out the banners drop creating bedlam. Fill in the corner between the FF and the East and make a smoking section so anyone who wants to smoke can get a ST for there. The amount of folk out the back of Hampden at half time having a fag was unreal. The smoking ban should't be under estimated when looking at attendance drops.

Cowshed? It's the family section now.

Why not go there yersel and start yer ain radges section? :greengrin

On and the folk that sing most of the game like being in Section 43. We have plans to spread into 42 next season. We are East Standers. Not Famous Fivers. Singing is still pretty tho. 8 out of 10 for displays. 3 out of 10 for noise. Must do better next year

Macaroon
24-05-2012, 10:29 PM

That would all require money that would be far better used if spent on the playing squad. Which, let's be honest, has a far bigger bearing on home performances that any other factor.

PISTOL1875
24-05-2012, 10:29 PM
One idea is when the opponents goalie is defending the FF end , the crowd should right away get on his back. Hertz used to do it with Maka and he used to chuck it pretending to be injured..

JohnStephens91
24-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Cowshed? It's the family section now.

Why not go there yersel and start yer ain radges section? :greengrin

On and the folk that sing most of the game like being in Section 43. We have plans to spread into 42 next season. We are East Standers. Not Famous Fivers. Singing is still pretty tho. 8 out of 10 for displays. 3 out of 10 for noise. Must do better next year

To be fair though all it takes is for the singing to spread out into another stand. If the noise is coming from say Section 43 and Section 42 and also from a section is the Famous Five it would make a huge difference to the atmosphere. I used to remember times when people in the FF would sing songs, now it is just a rare occurence, or it never happens at all. Such a shame. I think the work Sect43 do is amazing, but ideally you would have more people on board to spread it around a bit more.

Chuck Rhoades
25-05-2012, 09:46 AM
People are going on about the DJ and the new stand - to make ER a fortress it is up to every supporter inside the ground to give 110% in terms of backing and abuse to the opposition.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-05-2012, 01:13 PM
If the glory hunting fans that came to the final turned up at ER every second saturday then it would become a fortress.......nae fans = nae money to buy quality players........and nae quality players = nae fans......see

sahib
25-05-2012, 02:34 PM

I know it means a lot to some ( many) fans, but Hibs existed in my life before that ruddy tune came along and personally I am sick of it.

Teo10
25-05-2012, 02:41 PM
sack the d.j, he plays some and sounds like a 3rd rate local radio d.j, he cuts songs when it gets to the uplifting part...... and up until recently he made the teams come out to a gash techno tune, that u wouldn't hear in the worst eastern european nightclubs..... BUT this has nothing to do with why teams come and make easter road their own. it hasn't always been this way, but, since the second half of yogi's stint we have been poor on the pitch, this has had knock on effect with the support, every season we have got a little worse and the enthusiasm has been completely drained from the crowd, with the exception of the singing section, who 'god bless them' keep singing and have sang through some awful performances on the pitch. we need to try and look at the club and the players playing for the club as 2 different entities! this is our club, it was our fathers club and our grandfathers club, and it will be our childrens childrens club, when the players go the club stays the same, when the players get beat its eleven individuals that got beat, the club keeps cheering coz thats what we do, we cheer the club.... not the players, and if we do that, the players wont know the difference, they'll get the lift! you dont get players like u used too, these guys couldnt give 2 about the club, they r just balling booting egos. 'WE' are hibernian f.c!

What song? Louder by DJ Fresh?!

HibsMax
25-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I know this isn't really the point being made here but how about changing our strip to an old retro top. Something plain and simple. Something to help the boys connect with the history of the club?

neilmartinrocks
25-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I know it means a lot to some ( many) fans, but Hibs existed in my life before that ruddy tune came along and personally I am sick of it.

must have heard that tune about 20 times last saturday........but not when i wanted to!!
SOL is a victory song imo and should only be used as such.

HibsMax
25-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I also like the idea of fans bringing sofa cushions to stuff in the goal we're currently defending. That should mean we will get some more draws. ;)

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2012, 06:33 PM

No need for any of that expense, just move it to the botton of the ff, as much as i love what they guys are doing, they need to do it in an area thats not going to annoy anyone.

The FF bottom could be marketed at the singing section, a place where they are a little more shall we say noisy. :greengrin You would know from the outset what kind of things would probably happen in there, and if thats not your thing, there's 2 other stands you can go to.

I know some of those in charge are not up for this, but i firmly believe that move is the only way this will survive in the future and grow.

LaMotta
25-05-2012, 07:00 PM

:agree:

A crowd of 10-11000 before redevelopment still meant three fairly full stands. We now have three stands with empty seats littered all over them and without doubt in my mind this has an effect on the atmosphere. Aye we've also been mince since redevelopment, but the ground has lost some charm imo.

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 07:33 PM
People are going on about the DJ and the new stand - to make ER a fortress it is up to every supporter inside the ground to give 110% in terms of backing and abuse to the opposition.

I agree. I was just wondering if the club to do anything to help - I think Sect43 do a cracking job. I'd just like to see the club make ER as unwelcoming for the opposition as possible to compliment the efforts of S43.

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 07:44 PM

TBH I'd rather keep SOL for victories and big occasions, not warm up and prematch. It's an emotional song, but doesn't get the hostile part towards the opposition I was thinking of.

Back to the lyrics of "The Game" I just think it's a good warning message to the opposition, that's all. It's nice and confrontational:

"It's all about the game and how you play it,
All about control and if you can take it,
All about your debt and if you can pay it,
It's all about pain and who's gonna make it.

I am the game, you don't wanna play me.
I am control, no way you can change me.
I am heavy debt, no way you can pay me.
I am the pain, and I know you can't take me"

Ideal for getting pumped up against Hearts, even without the word debt being repeated.

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Every bit of this .... apart from SOL at every game .... keep it for special occasions.

I've been banging on about this all last season .... Easter Road is too bloody nice .... section 43 moved to an all standing lower FF is just the job. You dont have to be 10 feet from the opposition fans to be able to let them know you are there.

The best atmosphere all last season was with 1500 fans under the shed at Ayr. The best atmosphere in the last few seasons was with 2,000 fans in the bottom deck of an end stand at Bolton, even though it was seated.

Section 43 are IMO lost in the East .... in the FF everybody in the ground would be able to focus on them and hopefully join in more often than not.

McKenzie
25-05-2012, 08:39 PM
While we're at it, wouldn't mind Randy Orton's song getting played before games

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Every bit of this .... apart from SOL at every game .... keep it for special occasions.

I've been banging on about this all last season .... Easter Road is too bloody nice .... section 43 moved to an all standing lower FF is just the job. You dont have to be 10 feet from the opposition fans to be able to let them know you are there.

The best atmosphere all last season was with 1500 fans under the shed at Ayr. The best atmosphere in the last few seasons was with 2,000 fans in the bottom deck of an end stand at Bolton, even though it was seated.

Section 43 are IMO lost in the East .... in the FF everybody in the ground would be able to focus on them and hopefully join in more often than not.

100% Spot on. :agree:

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 08:47 PM
While we're at it, wouldn't mind Randy Orton's song getting played before games

I want to be intimidating not a psycho!

Gala Foxes
25-05-2012, 08:47 PM
How do you create a fortress at Easter Road?

Get rid of powder puff players that are only interested in taking the wages and lack ability / spine / passion and commitment

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2012, 09:09 PM
How do you create a fortress at Easter Road?

Get rid of powder puff players that are only interested in taking the wages and lack ability / spine / passion and commitment

Hells bells GF ... thought the Ladhope was a Yam pub :greengrin

McKenzie
25-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I want to be intimidating not a psycho!

At least the players would be up for the game

SouthamptonHibs
25-05-2012, 09:21 PM
To make Easter Road a fortress i have a few ideas. 1. If we can't sign a decent midfield i'd make the pitch as short and as thin as the sfa rules allow. 2. Buy a couple off big laddies that can win a header and get someone thats able to take throw-ins like Delap fi Stoke. 3. Get the East Stand full and bouncing. Get back to the good old days when the place was jumping and any songs goes and fans don't get offended by bad words. Plus if the players start performing and we win games at home the noise fi the east and the famous chants from the kids behind the goals "Hibees clap clap Hibees clap clap clap Hibees" will return to ER.

The_Todd
25-05-2012, 09:35 PM
At least the players would be up for the game

"Voices" is an OK track, but doesn't have the same energy as "The Game". In my opinion.

green glory
25-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Angel of Death by Slayer.

JohnStephens91
25-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I always liked Teenage Kicks whenever that got played, not a song to make you angry, but it is one to make you feel energised. I supposed it would help if we had a younger team again though.

Ideally though we need fans every in Easter Road to sing, like it used to be, even up until a few years ago.

Sir David Gray
25-05-2012, 10:43 PM
The backing that the players got at Hampden last week at the beginning of the match could not have been any better and yet we ended up putting in one of the worst displays that you'll ever see in a cup final.

We can play whatever song you want before games, we can do lots of different displays in the stands and sing lots of different songs to try and intimidate the opposition but if our team on the pitch is utter garbage then we're not likely to get very far.

Teo10
26-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Bilbao fans in the copa del rey last night were phenomenal!

3-0 down still all bouncing singing twirling their scarfs for the team. The noise they were creating was incredible! Would love to be able to get everyone singing like that at ER!

Haymaker
26-05-2012, 07:56 PM
If the glory hunting fans that came to the final turned up at ER every second saturday then it would become a fortress.......nae fans = nae money to buy quality players........and nae quality players = nae fans......see

Some of us "glory hunters" can't afford to make the trip 2 or 3 times a month, I certainly cannot afford to fly/train/drive from Southampton to Edinburgh 19 times at least a season.

Cabbage East
26-05-2012, 08:07 PM
The board have spent the last 15 years trying to turn us into a soft, family-friendly club partly because of the vilification of our support. This is the result. The club is soft from top to bottom now.

marinello59
26-05-2012, 08:32 PM
The board have spent the last 15 years trying to turn us into a soft, family-friendly club partly because of the vilification of our support. This is the result. The club is soft from top to bottom now.

Soft family friendly club? Care to expand on that?

Cabbage East
26-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Soft family friendly club? Care to expand on that?

The mentality is soft. The board do not stick up for the club even in press releases. Fenlon himself alluded to this when he arrived. The players for the last few years have been soft. Even in Derbys they don't roll up their sleeves and get wired in. The pricing structure and a million others things are geared towards families rather than the average working class single man going to the game with his mates. Is that enough elaboration for you?

marinello59
26-05-2012, 10:22 PM
The mentality is soft. The board do not stick up for the club even in press releases. Fenlon himself alluded to this when he arrived. The players for the last few years have been soft. Even in Derbys they don't roll up their sleeves and get wired in. The pricing structure and a million others things are geared towards families rather than the average working class single man going to the game with his mates. Is that enough elaboration for you?

The pricing structure being geared towards families rather than 'the average working class single man.' ? Utter nonsense. If anybody can afford the fitba then its a single working man with no ties. My season ticket cost me the guts of £400. A good proportion of our younger single fans have student season tickets. How much are they? Yes, kids season tickets are a good deal. If you are going to make a good argument as to why we shouldn't be encouraging the next generation along I look forward to reading it. While you are at it please define just what an 'average working class man' is. That should keep you busy enough but if you want to just list a few thousand of the million things geared against the 'average working man' that would be good too.:greengrin

Gala Foxes
27-05-2012, 07:49 AM
lets face it, last season was so dire 3 home wins out of 18 next season would be a "fortess" compared with 20/11/2012

Chuck Rhoades
28-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Bilbao fans in the copa del rey last night were phenomenal!

3-0 down still all bouncing singing twirling their scarfs for the team. The noise they were creating was incredible! Would love to be able to get everyone singing like that at ER!

Could do with them singing when we are winning/drawing before we can think about making a noise when we are getting beat!

RIP
28-05-2012, 10:44 PM

100% Spot on. :agree:

Slavering pish about S43 again lads :yawn:. In case you hadnae noticed lads Section 43 is a specific section OF THE EAST STAND set aside by the club where supporters are allowed to stand. You stand therefore you sing. In big games Section 44 and some of 42 also stand. Standing = Singing - Geddit? Next Season will see the club start to actively market this area and we expect numbers to swell.

Other areas sit and dinnae sing. The Famous Five stand is the Family Section

So until

Hibs change the marketing and season ticket packaging of the stadium and
People are happy to sit in the FF behind a crowd standing and bouncing and
People who have been in the East Stand forever suddenly want to watch the game from one end (crap view et al) and
The Singing Section all decide to move stands and
Sect43 want to leave their proximity to the away support then

there's about as much chance of this happening as East Stirling winning the Champions League.

Still I'm sure we will all enjoy watching your two-man singing section in the FF lower next season :greengrin:flag:

RIP
28-05-2012, 10:55 PM
The backing that the players got at Hampden last week at the beginning of the match could not have been any better and yet we ended up putting in one of the worst displays that you'll ever see in a cup final.

We can play whatever song you want before games, we can do lots of different displays in the stands and sing lots of different songs to try and intimidate the opposition but if our team on the pitch is utter garbage then we're not likely to get very far.

Not quite true. Our support shat it after Hearts scored as they did when Aberdeen equalised. One half verse of a song at the final. One we are Hibernian Fc at the Semi after Dons fans had goaded us.

Most of the time our 'support' slinks away, pish running doon their kegs. Where are the mental Hibees?

Our support is soft and our team is soft. Even if the team improves I don't take it for granted the support will grow a pair. We need a package of measures and a real determined drive to improve the atmosphere (noise not flags) next season

Sir David Gray
28-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Not quite true. Our support shat it after Hearts scored as they did when Aberdeen equalised. One half verse of a song at the final. One we are Hibernian Fc at the Semi after Dons fans had goaded us.

Most of the time our 'support' slinks away, pish running doon their kegs. Where are the mental Hibees?

Our support is soft and our team is soft. Even if the team improves I don't take it for granted the support will grow a pair. We need a package of measures and a real determined drive to improve the atmosphere (noise not flags) next season

Don't think the atmosphere became really subdued until it went to 2-0 and then for the last few minutes of the first half, after it went to 2-1, we started to get a bit more vocal again.

The second half was a total non-event, though, as it was 4-1 after about five minutes of the restart and then it was game over.

To be fair, if the players cannot get themselves up for a Scottish Cup final against their biggest rivals, irrespective of how good or bad the support is, then I would suggest that they should find an alternative occupation.

marinello59
29-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Sad to see that you hold so many Hibs fans in such utter contempt. I thought the support did well at the final. When we scored there was a feeling that the momentum had swung back towards us, the Yams became quiet and we were back up for it again. I thought the semi-final backing was good too and we gave the Sheep as good as we got. Maybe you were sitting in the wrong area?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Slavering pish about S43 again lads :yawn:. In case you hadnae noticed lads Section 43 is a specific section OF THE EAST STAND set aside by the club where supporters are allowed to stand. You stand therefore you sing. In big games Section 44 and some of 42 also stand. Standing = Singing - Geddit? Next Season will see the club start to actively market this area and we expect numbers to swell.

So until

People who have been in the East Stand forever suddenly want to watch the game from one end (crap view et al) and

there's about as much chance of this happening as East Stirling winning the Champions League.

Still I'm sure we will all enjoy watching your two-man singing section in the FF lower next season :greengrin:flag:

I understand that there would have to be a change in many things, if you were to locate to the FF.

Personally i love what you are trying to achieve, but doubt it will work much better than what we have now.

I sit just on the 18 yard line in the east at the FF end, i cant hear you much. I have no idea how many folk are in section 43 at any game, but from my seat you are out sung by Inverness and the likes who bring a couple of hundred folk.

For me its where they are that make them noisier than our lot, they are singing to the rest of the ground, we are only really heard across in the west stand.

As i have said, having a focal point behind the goal would let every Hibs fan hear the singing, as much as you lads in section 43 think you are loud, you just are not.

Unless we suddenly get a lot more fans in section 43, and the other stands hear you and join in, my guess is the atmosphere wont get much better if better at all.

Someone else pointed out our best away days last season were when we were all crammed behind the goals at Ayr and Dunfermline. The east if far too big, and you are lost in that stand imo.

I make no apologies for saying what i have, i firmly believe for this to take off, you need to A either gain another couple of thousand members, or B move to the FF.

DH1875
29-05-2012, 01:01 PM

So until

No one is having a go or slavering pish about the section 43 lads. We were all asked for our opinion and gave it. In my opinion a standing/singing/ultra type area in the bottom of the FF is the best way of creating the desired effect and it seems a few others agree. The family section could be moved to the west/east and it wouldn't be a problem having people sitting while others stand in front of them because there'd be NO seats. Anyone going into the section would know what they were getting themselves into before hand. The stand would be open to all. Not just section 43. We have got over 8k other fans who go to the games you know.

Chuck Rhoades
29-05-2012, 01:16 PM
We aren't going to be an overnight success; however we aren't going to admit defeat in Section 43 of the East after one season. We will see how the next season goes and will continue discussions with the group, fans and club about how to improve the atmosphere inside the ground.

We hope to announce a recruiting process shortly with the aim to pack out an area of Section 43 pending on further discussions.

In order for us to work in the FF - the club would have to empty the middle section of the FF lower and allow us to control the ST for that part of the stand. I cannot see the club wanting to do this; however if they were willing to provide the details of each ST holder in the section I would be more than happy to contact them all personally to discuss.

I agree that displays would look better in the middle of the FF lower and the noise would spread down both sides, East/West.

People often comment about wanting to be near the away support, but to be honest, I couldn't care how far away I am for them. Our aim is to support Hibs and intimidate the opposition. We shouldn't be wasting our time concentrating on the away support.

DH1875
29-05-2012, 01:48 PM
We aren't going to be an overnight success; however we aren't going to admit defeat in Section 43 of the East after one season. We will see how the next season goes and will continue discussions with the group, fans and club about how to improve the atmosphere inside the ground.

We hope to announce a recruiting process shortly with the aim to pack out an area of Section 43 pending on further discussions.

In order for us to work in the FF - the club would have to empty the middle section of the FF lower and allow us to control the ST for that part of the stand. I cannot see the club wanting to do this; however if they were willing to provide the details of each ST holder in the section I would be more than happy to contact them all personally to discuss.

I agree that displays would look better in the middle of the FF lower and the noise would spread down both sides, East/West.

People often comment about wanting to be near the away support, but to be honest, I couldn't care how far away I am for them. Our aim is to support Hibs and intimidate the opposition. We shouldn't be wasting our time concentrating on the away support.

It's the bit in bold I don't get, agree with. If there's a singing section why should I have to go through section 43 to get a ticket for it. It should be open to everyone and anyone who wants to stand there.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the response, you have to bare in mind this is only my opinion and maybe a few others too. I want the best atmosphere at easter road we can possibly get, and these are just my thoughts on it.

The pros imo of moving to the FF would be that WHOLE STAND could be bracketed as the singing section, section 43 or whatever number it is in there. You are lost in the east, and again not entirely wanted by everyone in there.

Anyone going in that stand, would then know what it was about. I'd love to see that stand bouncing like the other end is when some clubs come to easter road. At the moment we dont see anything, and hardly hear anything either. As much as some of the group dont want to admit it, its not very loud.

If it started at the bottom of the FF, i'm pretty sure it would fill up nicely with like minded supporters,:wink: and the atmosphere would again imo grow and grow.

As you say, some of you dont want to move, and the folk in the FF might not want to move, and the club may not want this either. This is just my view on the subject, and maybe i'm wrong but its just my opinion on how growing the atmosphere could make a dramatic upsurge with this change.

As i said earlier, i can hear the couple of hundred away fans more than our lot, and thats directly because of where they are.

RIP
29-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Sad to see that you hold so many Hibs fans in such utter contempt. I thought the support did well at the final. When we scored there was a feeling that the momentum had swung back towards us, the Yams became quiet and we were back up for it again. I thought the semi-final backing was good too and we gave the Sheep as good as we got. Maybe you were sitting in the wrong area?:greengrin

I do not hold any fellow fan in contempt. I'm merely pointing out that generally when we lose our goal our bottle goes - on and off the pitch. It's been the same at ER for a few seasons now and something that a few of our Singing Section mates are endeavouring to remedy next season

I understand that there would have to be a change in many things, if you were to locate to the FF.
I make no apologies for saying what i have, i firmly believe for this to take off, you need to A either gain another couple of thousand members, or B move to the FF.

Who is this you Gary. You and me both occupy the East Stand. Why don't we and the folk in between us all sing? Simples. The whole East should be a Singing and Standing Section. You don't need to wear a Sect43 scarf to sing in support of your team - do you?

Alternatively why don't you relocate your seat to S42 or 43 and help us spread across 3 sections, like we do in big games. There's nae point in saying 'you have to move'. I will not move. My family will not move. We have been in the East for 25 years as have my mates. Some may move but I have not met a single supporter who sits in the East who wants to move his/her seat to the FF

No one is having a go or slavering pish about the section 43 lads. We were all asked for our opinion and gave it. In my opinion a standing/singing/ultra type area in the bottom of the FF is the best way of creating the desired effect and it seems a few others agree.

So move there then and start your own thing. Alternatively relocate to the Singing Section and help build a bigger force across the East Stand. Remember the Rangers game in 2010. 6,000 Hibbies standing and singing!!:flag:

Given the support of the club and a better team on the park I think our Standing and Singing Section will be 2000 strong within 3 years

Chuck Rhoades
29-05-2012, 02:05 PM
It's the bit in bold I don't get, agree with. If there's a singing section why should I have to go through section 43 to get a ticket for it. It should be open to everyone and anyone who wants to stand there.

I probably worded it that part too strongly, of course anyone who would like to sit there should be allowed to; however I feel the club should involve the group more to ensure it is advertised and promoted correctly. Also to sell one block at a time from the middle outwards to ensure we are packed together.

The original singing section that the Hibs 12th Man organised was spread over 2,000 seats - far too large an area.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I do not hold any fellow fan in contempt. I'm merely pointing out that generally when we lose our goal our bottle goes - on and off the pitch. It's been the same at ER for a few seasons now and something that a few of our Singing Section mates are endeavouring to remedy next season

Who is this you Gary. You and me both occupy the East Stand. Why don't we and the folk in between us all sing? Simples. The whole East should be a Singing and Standing Section. You don't need to wear a Sect43 scarf to sing in support of your team - do you?

Alternatively why don't you relocate your seat to S42 or 43 and help us spread across 3 sections, like we do in big games. There's nae point in saying 'you have to move'. I will not move. My family will not move. We have been in the East for 25 years as have my mates. Some may move but I have not met a single supporter who sits in the East who wants to move his/her seat to the FF

So move there then and start your own thing. Alternatively relocate to the Singing Section and help build a bigger force across the East Stand. Remember the Rangers game in 2010. 6,000 Hibbies standing and singing!!:flag:

Given the support of the club and a better team on the park I think our Standing and Singing Section will be 2000 strong within 3 years

Ok i will rephrase what i said, for this to work, WE will have to move it to the FF or gain many thousands more in the east. Something i dont think will ever happen.

As for You not moving, you say you have stood in the east for 25 years, i have no problem with that. I also have no problem with section 43 staying exactly where it is. As for creating a better atmosphere, this is exactly what i want, and why i said what i think should happen.

Good luck in getting another couple of thousand who want to sing and chant, i think we can agree we all want that.

At The Edge
29-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I can see both sides of the debate re the FF.
In some ways i would like to go there, intimidate the away teams keeper, intimidate the away teams when they have a corner etc etc
Visually would probably look better with the flags, drum, acoustic wise however, i'm unsure, i've only been in there a couple of times and the folk around me weren't really up for singing.

However S43 gives me a great view of the game, something that the lower FF lacks (on current form possibly a good thing!:wink: )
Would the current ST's move? would they moan if we all moved in.
Would Hibs support the move? the FF is branded as the family section, would they do the same deals for familys in the east?

Questions questions,
next season should hopfully see an enlargment of S43 numbers with folk shifting, so the singing should be louder and we'll have a new drum to bang as well
:flag:

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I can see both sides of the debate re the FF.
In some ways i would like to go there, intimidate the away teams keeper, intimidate the away teams when they have a corner etc etc
Visually would probably look better with the flags, drum, acoustic wise however, i'm unsure, i've only been in there a couple of times and the folk around me weren't really up for singing.

However S43 gives me a great view of the game, something that the lower FF lacks (on current form possibly a good thing!:wink: )
Would the current ST's move? would they moan if we all moved in.
Would Hibs support the move? the FF is branded as the family section, would they do the same deals for familys in the east?

Questions questions,
next season should hopfully see an enlargment of S43 numbers with folk shifting, so the singing should be louder and we'll have a new drum to bang as well
:flag:

I think we have tried to run before we could walk, but as you say there's a lot of questions but few answers?

I agree with you 100% about intimidating the keepers, and also in the days when i started going, the place to be was behind the goal. When that was in full swing, we used to suck the ball down that end, it was an amazing feeling being in that end when it was full. :top marks

I go to the odd Blackpool game, and they have their singing sections behind both goals, and the atmosphere they create is 2nd to none in the championship. In fact when they were in the premiership they stood out too.

As i said, the singing section is lost where it is now, if they get the numbers they want in the next couple of seasons we might see a difference, but even if they do achieve those numbers i'd bet my last penny there would be trouble with those who dont want to stand, and dont want the kind of supporter that brings near them.

Thats why i believe the way for this to grow quickly, and without any bother is to move to the FF , and that stand to be advertised as such.

Its fair enough folk who sit in the east now not agreeing, and i hope i'm completely wrong and it takes off big style over the next couple of seasons.

marinello59
29-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Really? here's part of what you said.

Most of the time our 'support' slinks away, pish running doon their kegs.

By any standards that is a contemptuous statement. Although I do stand corrected, you don't consider them supporters given your use of inverted commas.

marinello59
29-05-2012, 02:55 PM

If the club meets their part of the deal by putting a decent team on the park then you will have the whole East joining in with you guys no bother. Keep doing what you are doing. :thumbsup:

RIP
29-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Really? here's part of what you said. By any standards that is a contemptuous statement. Although I do stand corrected, you don't consider them supporters given your use of inverted commas.

I'm always embrassed by my own cowardice and that of my fellow supporters when we are getting beat. It's more shame I think - rather than contempt. Sorry if I'm coming over all mean, but it's just my way of girding my loins to help create Fortress Easter Road next season. After the final I want to pick myself up off the floor and come back fighting :take that

We need a shake, a bit of leadership and find some mental toughness. It's not so much about where you sit - it's about all of us playing our part in motivating the players.

We need less spectators - and more supporters

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm always embrassed by my own cowardice and that of my fellow supporters when we are getting beat. It's more shame I think - rather than contempt. Sorry if I'm coming over all mean, but it's just my way of girding my loins to help create Fortress Easter Road next season. After the final I want to pick myself up off the floor and come back fighting :take that

We need a shake, a bit of leadership and find some mental toughness. It's not so much about where you sit - it's about all of us playing our part in motivating the players.

Again we disagree, i think its a lot to do with where you sit, although i did not think you sat over in section 43?

If i can hear a couple of hundred Caley Thistle fans much more than our lot, thats not great i'd imagine you'd agree?

Getting behind the team so they can hear us is the MAIN aim of what you are trying to do i'd have thought?

The bottom of the FF will hold roughly 1800 fans, and in my opinion we'd start to fill that much quicker than we'd ever fill the east stand.

And if we saw that filling up, i'm convinced it would attract more supporter in, than the corner of the east where we cant hear you and look lost in amongst all those empty seats.

Without any doubt in my mind,the FF is a smaller area, that would be a lot easier to fill, AND RECRUIT NEW SUPPORTERS WILLING TO SING, and create a better atmosphere than we currently have.

DH1875
29-05-2012, 07:17 PM

I kinda agree with you on that. Would have loved to have stuck 2 fingers up to that lot and out sung them when we were 4 and 5 down. 20,000 Hi-Bees singing SOL or even walk on at that stage would have shown the world.

SquashedFrogg
29-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Get where you're coming from Gogs. We need to man up and get stuck in.

Forget what's been and look forward to what will be....

Lets get the sleeves rolled up, move forward and support our team even more than ever before...

It's my young lads first ST this year and after witnessing his heartbreak at the final, I want to show him what Hibernian are all about...

Everyone should remember who we are....

JohnStephens91
29-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Right, instead of arguing over where the 'singing section' should be in Easter Road why don't we sit down and thrash out an answer to the very obvious question. Why has the atmosphere inside the stadium diminished in recent years?

No matter where you sat, you always sang, I was a walk up for years in the East, then I moved to the FF upper because it was cheaper, and no matter what the game was, people in FF upper would sing, as would the rest of the stadium. I see no reason why the quality on the pitch should affect how we support the team, I have tried singing but other folk clearly have no interest in it. I contemplated getting a season ticket in Section 43, but I decided to go in the FF Lower for financial reasons. Why must the singing only be in one section now? Where are all the fans who were there when we beat Hearts 2-0 to end their unbeaten run? When Shiels scored a late winner after a Boruc fumble or when Benji scored his goal against Hearts to make it 2-1. Where are they all now, the fan base surely can't have changed dramatically in recent years?

I feel there are a variety of reasons, but what is it that has taken a stranglehold of our support in the past few seasons?

SquashedFrogg
29-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Right, instead of arguing over where the 'singing section' should be in Easter Road why don't we sit down and thrash out an answer to the very obvious question. Why has the atmosphere inside the stadium diminished in recent years?

No matter where you sat, you always sang, I was a walk up for years in the East, then I moved to the FF upper because it was cheaper, and no matter what the game was, people in FF upper would sing, as would the rest of the stadium. I see no reason why the quality on the pitch should affect how we support the team, I have tried singing but other folk clearly have no interest in it. I contemplated getting a season ticket in Section 43, but I decided to go in the FF Lower for financial reasons. Why must the singing only be in one section now? Where are all the fans who were there when we beat Hearts 2-0 to end their unbeaten run? When Shiels scored a late winner after a Boruc fumble or when Benji scored his goal against Hearts to make it 2-1. Where are they all now, the fan base surely can't have changed dramatically in recent years?

I feel there are a variety of reasons, but what is it that has taken a stranglehold of our support in the past few seasons?

Good post.

I remember their used to be an 'edge' at ER. Possibly one of the reasons I became hooked.

A wee nasty streak in the terracing that gave us something different. My old man (Jambo) took me to the PBS many a time when I was a young lad (my mum used to tell him that if he wanted to go to the football on a Saturday he'd have to take me. I was at Dens in 1986 and Hampden the following week :)

To be fair to him he'd take me to a match every week as he loves football. Falkirk, Dunfy, Juniors, anywhere...

He took me to ER circa 1989 when we beat Celtic 3-1, Archibald scored the winner. Sat in the cowshed.

I was hooked there and then....Didn't matter that I'd been to dozens of Yams games previously, I was hooked..

There was something different. Something special. Something I almost can't explain.

Then followed my love for the Hibs...

Home or away on the Broxburn bus I felt invincible as we were Hibernian....

(Also, one of our chums on that bus was James McDonough (U19's head coach) Total Hibby.... )

Anyway, bring back the nasty streak to ER...My 10yo son doesn't want the family section, he wants the real ER back...

RIP
29-05-2012, 10:29 PM
The original singing section that the Hibs 12th Man organised was spread over 2,000 seats - far too large an area.

Need to correct you here Ross. The Singing Section allocated by the club in April 2010 was in place three months before I called the first meeting to form Hibs12thMan. The area on the seating plan at the ticket office that Fife Hyland designated was the top 15 rows from the centre line to the South Stand. A total of 1500 seats. Our first job was to agree a place for a few hundred to stand. We picked the traditional "Gantry" position where us East Standers had stood since the late 80's - around Sections 42 or 43.

Getting behind the team so they can hear us is the MAIN aim of what you are trying to do i'd have thought?

There's that you again. Surely you mean we - no. You surely don't have to be in any particular stand or section to get behind the team - do you?

However, if you are really interested in helping to improve the atmosphere, please switch sides of the East and help out the ones that are actually making an effort. Young lads like you will be very welcome. Next year we will have more supporters in Section43, better singing, songs, displays. We have funds, flag storage and a great working relationship with the club. Celtics Green Brigade took 4 or 5 years but now they are flying. Watch this space.:greengrin

:thumbsup::pfgwa