PDA

View Full Version : Hibs supporters pressure group

Father Ted
24-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Is it now time a supporters pressure group was formed,

I admit to not having fully thought this through but the anger & hurt that we are feeling just now
Should be harnessed to ensure that:

The support is not ignored any longer by the board we are after all the mainstay & lifeblood of our club and significant contributers and push for a fans representative on the board

Ensure we are fairly represented in the Scottish media and if not bombard those misrepresenting us with phone calls & complaints & no longer accept some of the trash written about our club without us registering our displeasure

I am sure there are many more suggestions you guys can make but I thought I would raise this again

marinello59
24-05-2012, 07:19 AM

I admit to not having fully thought this through but the anger & hurt that we are feeling just now
The support is not ignored any longer by the board we are after all the mainstay & lifeblood of our club and significant contributers and push for a fans representative on the board

Ensure we are fairly represented in the Scottish media and if not bombard those misrepresenting us with phone calls & complaints & no longer accept some of the trash written about our club without us registering our displeasure

I am sure there are many more suggestions you guys can make but I thought I would raise this again

So basically you want an angry mob Ted? Down with this sort of thing.

bawheid
24-05-2012, 07:31 AM
I do agree that the way we are all feeling should be harnessed in some way to ensure something like Saturday never happens again. It should be a watershed moment. Performances like that against Hearts are just not acceptable.

Whether a pressure group is necessary depends on how the club reacts over the next couple of months. Initial signs are mildly encouraging, but let's see who replaces the invertebrates...

Standing up for the club in the media and to the SFA wouldn't go amiss either.

Lucius Apuleius
24-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Do not disagree we should be standing up for the club, especially with the media. That does not need to be organized though, just get phoning and emailing. Harnessing anger however is in my opinion counter-productive. Positivity needs to be harnessed and used, not negativity.

Father Ted
24-05-2012, 07:45 AM
So basically you want an angry mob Ted? Down with this sort of thing.

No sorry if it came across that way, but I think we can make things change and this is the time to do it. I want positives at ER not negativity

Wilson
24-05-2012, 08:01 AM
No.

ManBearPig
24-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Yammish

Planet Hibs
24-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I think we defo need some sort of fans spokesperson with access to a boardmember on at least a monthly basis, ie whoever main man is for sect43

cocopops1875
24-05-2012, 08:05 AM
It's a no from me

DC_Hibs
24-05-2012, 08:48 AM
The crazy situation is that if we'd had a less successful season - lost in semi to Aberdeen - threads like this and all other hysteria would never have appeared.

It might also have helped if the spineless squad hadnt filled their pants from the first minute at Hampden and had instead given a display they are capable of (Dunfermline) against a Hertz side that were no great shakes either.

There are plenty of things the board can be taken to task for but no sensible fan can complain about the backing they have given to managers since Collins left.

Fingers crossed this much needed clear out and recruitment exercise is successful and Pat Fenlon does a lot better than the last lot.

See ye

HibsMax
24-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I like the idea of having a little organization. There are many people who want to get behind initiatives like this but don't have the means to do it themselves, do remain silent.

Which is better :
1. A common voice with substantial backing, or
2. Many voices with a somewhat common theme?

It worries me (not to the extent of losing sleep) that individuals can be ignored more easily than an organized group.

marinello59
24-05-2012, 12:08 PM
No sorry if it came across that way, but I think we can make things change and this is the time to do it. I want positives at ER not negativity

Sorry, just my sense of humour.
After the season(s) we have endured then we should be demanding more of the people running our club. Whether a pressure group is the way forward or not, I am not sure. It would mean somebody putting themselves forward as the fans spokesperson and given the wide ranging views there are regarding the best way forward I don't think that's possible or desirable. I get what you say about the media, we can all do something about that as individuals surely?

Jay
24-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I think we defo need some sort of fans spokesperson with access to a boardmember on at least a monthly basis, ie whoever main man is for sect43

I have never agreed with fans spokespersons. As proved on this messageboard on a daily basis, fans have very varied and different views on things and one persons opinion, even if they have spoken to a select few, cannot be taken into consideration as 'The Fans View' As a fan I am more than capable of speaking for myself when necessary.

HibsMax
24-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I have never agreed with fans spokespersons. As proved on this messageboard on a daily basis, fans have very varied and different views on things and one persons opinion, even if they have spoken to a select few, cannot be taken into consideration as 'The Fans View' As a fan I am more than capable of speaking for myself when necessary.

I know what you're saying but as long as "the group" doesn't portray itself as representing ALL fans, I don't see the problem. Consider having multiple people contacting the club about the same thing. Contrast that with a single message from a group of fans. It makes for a cleaner line of communication.

I'm reminded of just before the cup final when people were contacting different people at the club for information re: tickets. There were a few different stories coming out. Not very clear.

We're doing something similar with respect to Hibs TV, we can let folks know how that turns out.

Beefster
24-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I've no problem with supporters' groups per se. I just think that anyone that wants to be involved in running them should automatically be banned from doing so.

Captain Trips
24-05-2012, 01:07 PM

The problem is we all want the best for club but we all have so many different Ideas of what we all think is best way to do it.

RIP
24-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Do you mean Hands On Hibs or equivalent?

The joint club/supporter forums that were kicked off either side of Christmas led to a working group discussion in April. Scott Lindsay and David Forsyth will be picking this up again next month, after the dust settles on the season. The original idea mooted was a 'Shadow Board' but I think it's more likely to end up in 3 working groups, each with a separate focus e.g. Hibees United, Matchday and Media&Communications

Membership should be voluntary and rotating with reps from the main supporters groups e.g. HSA, branches, The Hibernians, Messageboard, H12M, Sect43. This would ensure we get away from the 'fans rep' problem faced by Mike Riley and Frankie Dougan in the past

Don't know if this ticks the box of a pressure group but I think it's a more effective solution. To be meeting in the stadium working together for the club rather than moaning to the media from out in the street? Speaking from my own experience with H12M and Sect43, it's a lot better talking to Rod, Scott, Garry, Russell, David and co face to face than wasting time with emails. Their love of the club and passion are only too obvious. Doesn't mean we don't challenge though

GGTTH

HibsMax
24-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I've no problem with supporters' groups per se. I just think that anyone that wants to be involved in running them should automatically be banned from doing so.

uh oh, that's not very reassuring. lol.

I think it was Billy Connolly who said something along the lines of "anyone who wants to be a politician should automatically be banned from ever being one" (that's the essence).

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Do you mean Hands On Hibs or equivalent?

The joint club/supporter forums that were kicked off either side of Christmas led to a working group discussion in April. Scott Lindsay and David Forsyth will be picking this up again next month, after the dust settles on the season. The original idea mooted was a 'Shadow Board' but I think it's more likely to end up in 3 working groups, each with a separate focus e.g. Hibees United, Matchday and Media&Communications

Membership should be voluntary and rotating with reps from the main supporters groups e.g. HSA, branches, The Hibernians, Messageboard, H12M, Sect43. This would ensure we get away from the 'fans rep' problem faced by Mike Riley and Frankie Dougan in the past

Don't know if this ticks the box of a pressure group but I think it's a more effective solution. To be meeting in the stadium working together for the club rather than moaning to the media from out in the street? Speaking from my own experience with H12M and Sect43, it's a lot better talking to Rod, Scott, Garry, Russell, David and co face to face than wasting time with emails. Their love of the club and passion are only too obvious. Doesn't mean we don't challenge though

GGTTH

That's part of the problem!

Slow, slow and stop! Hands on hibs represented a large group of fans and brought pressure on the club through a series of actions and excellent media handling lead very well by Charlie Reid and a polician and pr expert.

What you are talking about is working with the board who in most of our eyes are not proactive enough with a pr company whom is well paid and In my humble opinion does poor job on communication.

An ideal solution would to have board members who are not faceless, interact more with fans and provide effective communication of a business we all invest in and get very little in return at the moment. This maybe a start but I would hope the board look at changing the structure of the club from top down and support pf in that process.

I discussed this ith fyfe last season and was willing to help develop a strategic marketing plan, income stream generators, effective PR all at a cost of zero to the club. This would have taken up a lot of my time but like everyone this is more that just a club, for most of us it's an integral part of our life.

Currently run a global business internationally , part of it involved in sports indirectly and with a much larger turnover than hibs. Unfortunately it didn't get more than discussion stage without outlining the plan in its entirety. I wasn't looking for anything in return just want to turn up on match days and watch my team compete.

GGTTH

smurf
24-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Slow, slow and stop! Hands on hibs represented a large group of fans and brought pressure on the club through a series of actions and excellent media handling lead very well by Charlie Reid and a polician and pr expert.

What you are talking about is working with the board who in most of our eyes are not proactive enough with a pr company whom is well paid and In my humble opinion does poor job on communication.

An ideal solution would to have board members who are not faceless, interact more with fans and provide effective communication of a business we all invest in and get very little in return at the moment. This maybe a start but I would hope the board look at changing the structure of the club from top down and support pf in that process.

I discussed this ith fyfe last season and was willing to help develop a strategic marketing plan, income stream generators, effective PR all at a cost of zero to the club. This would have taken up a lot of my time but like everyone this is more that just a club, for most of us it's an integral part of our life.

Currently run a global business internationally , part of it involved in sports indirectly and with a much larger turnover than hibs. Unfortunately it didn't get more than discussion stage without outlining the plan in its entirety. I wasn't looking for anything in return just want to turn up on match days and watch my team compete.

GGTTH

Interesting post. Turkey's don't vote for Christmas.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2012, 01:51 PM

:agree: So with that in mind, i propose Mike Reilly.

RIP
24-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Slow, slow and stop! What you are talking about is working with the board who in most of our eyes are not proactive enough with a pr company whom is well paid and In my humble opinion does poor job on communication.

You appear to have jumped to the conclusion that the new working groups are part of the problem - even though they've not been set up yet? :faf:

Actually that's not strictly true. The "Matchday Team" of H12M, Sect43, Media and Commercial Managers led by Garry O'Hagan has been responsible for the uplift in stadium atmosphere since January, supporter volunteering / fundraising and the fantastic displays at the Cup Semi-Final and Final. If that's what one joint team of directors and supporters can achieve in four months, what more is possible? They have certainly built up a good head of steam for next season.

It's great that you offered your services though. I see volunteering as the way forward for improvements at Hibs

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Interesting post. Turkey's don't vote for Christmas.

Smurf, I was a bit gutted as last julybi told Fyfe how poor it was not realising it was his baby before he was promoted :greengrin

To be fair to him he had more on his plate I.e CC and then despite my attempts it wasn't pursued.

Part of the plan was international, I had the former PR guru from Scottish Rugby (free as he works for me) , one very well known film star( hibs fan) assisting me.

Pity !

SloopJB
24-05-2012, 02:11 PM
My concern having observed spokes persons for fans groups is that they can cause outrage amongst their own fans. Not in my name. Which can then lead to exactly the sane kind of post as the op creating factions within the support. The club give the supporters the opportunity to meet & discuss.
If this has failed then it should be raised with the club in order to seek another format for communicating with fans.
Harnessing anger and disappointment sounds like a protest group by fans against their own team wich is counter productive at best.

Does the op attend meetings with the club?

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 02:17 PM
You appear to have jumped to the conclusion that the new working groups are part of the problem - even though they've not been set up yet? :faf:

Actually that's not strictly true. The "Matchday Team" of H12M, Sect43, Media and Commercial Managers led by Garry O'Hagan has been responsible for the uplift in stadium atmosphere since January, supporter volunteering / fundraising and the fantastic displays at the Cup Semi-Final and Final. If that's what one joint team of directors and supporters can achieve in four months, what more is possible? They have certainly built up a good head of steam for next season.

It's great that you offered your services though. I see volunteering as the way forward for improvements at Hibs

Fair enough, must write myself a note not to be so cynical :greengrin

SloopJB
24-05-2012, 02:21 PM
My concern having observed spokes persons for fans groups is that they can cause outrage amongst their own fans. Not in my name. Which can then lead to exactly the sane kind of post as the op creating factions within the support. The club give the supporters the opportunity to meet & discuss.
If this has failed then it should be raised with the club in order to seek another format for communicating with fans.
Harnessing anger and disappointment sounds like a protest group by fans against their own team wich is counter productive at best.

Does the op attend meetings with the club?

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 02:22 PM

So what I was offering was another way to enhance the brand on a national scale and also globally in order to grow our fan base, sponsorship, soccer schools, scouting network, pitch improvement, environmental story(attaching lucrative subsidies) - all in all self financing projects with mid to long term revenue streams which would be reinvested in the team, debt reducing and investment attraction, all of which fell within current tax schemes of course :greengrin

Kaiser1962
24-05-2012, 03:15 PM
The problem is we all want the best for club but we all have so many different Ideas of what we all think is best way to do it.

in a nutshell.

Jay
24-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I know what you're saying but as long as "the group" doesn't portray itself as representing ALL fans, I don't see the problem. Consider having multiple people contacting the club about the same thing. Contrast that with a single message from a group of fans. It makes for a cleaner line of communication.

I'm reminded of just before the cup final when people were contacting different people at the club for information re: tickets. There were a few different stories coming out. Not very clear.

We're doing something similar with respect to Hibs TV, we can let folks know how that turns out.

Which it undoubtedly will in my opinion.