PDA

View Full Version : Duff and Gray, whatever became of them?

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Whatever became of these two mugs after they left us, I know Gray had old Fairbairns off license in Albert Street for a few years but where are they now?

Before I get the usual "who gies a ****" it's just a wee bit of light relief from all this argie bargie that's going on here just now :wink:

McIntosh
23-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Often wondered this myself they must be pushing sixty for sure.

JeMeSouviens
23-05-2012, 09:15 AM
David Duff went to jail for fraud in 1993.

Doesn't sound like he got any less shady since ...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/11/03/watchdogs-probe-former-hibs-chairman-s-role-in-bankrupt-charity-86908-22687523/

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-05-2012, 09:17 AM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/11/03/watchdogs-probe-former-hibs-chairman-s-role-in-bankrupt-charity-86908-22687523/

You can't keep a good crook down eh?

:aok:

degenerated
23-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Jim Gray is still kicking about and goes to games now and again. Despite having called him all sorts of the years, having met him a few times over the past few years he is actually an alright bloke.

Baader
23-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Still entertaining the masses...

http://sharetv.org/images/chucklevision_uk-show.jpg

truehibernian
23-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Duff is in the property game. My mate worked for him recently, property managing some flats here in Edinburgh.

smurf
23-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Though Duff arguably played a greater role in saving us in 1990 than Sir Tom. Had he sold his shares we were dead. End. Of.

He made huge mistakes. Was obviously out of his depth. Which he admits. I remember him at the rally at ER and he was in tears. As a 16 year old I begged him not to sell and in tears he promised not to.

Gerard
23-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Though Duff arguably played a greater role in saving us in 1990 than Sir Tom. Had he sold his shares we were dead. End. Of.

He made huge mistakes. Was obviously out of his depth. Which he admits. I remember him at the rally at ER and he was in tears. As a 16 year old I begged him not to sell and in tears he promised not to.good points and fair points

heretoday
23-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Fairbairns in Albert St.........

cad
23-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Jim Gray does road resurfacing tar mac etc , Newcastle ST holder and he still loves the Hibs

Spike Mandela
23-05-2012, 12:35 PM

When he came out he started his own administrators, Jim Gray changed his surname to Phelps by deed poll. Not sure what came of them after that.:wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Fairbairns in Albert St.........

Always queues and mega cheap peeve, happy days!

:thumbsup:

KeithTheHibby
23-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Made bad choices and investments when owners at Hibs but done the right thing in the end by not selling out to the now deid FTB.

ancient hibee
23-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Rowland the guy behind them was in line to be Treasurer of the Tory party till someone had a word in Cameron's ear.

Minder
23-05-2012, 07:06 PM
When he came out he started his own administrators, Jim Gray changed his surname to Phelps by deed poll. Not sure what came of them after that.:wink:

:thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
24-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Rowland the guy behind them was in line to be Treasurer of the Tory party till someone had a word in Cameron's ear.

He was appointed and then resigned before he commenced in the post. One of the Tories biggest individual funders.

I meet Jim Gray and interviewed him around that time. It's fair to say that he and Duff had good intentions but were right royally shafted. Extremely naive springs to mind. Rowland funded the deal and screwed them senseless. When you think back to the share issue and how much the fans put into the club.........

Still wonder now what happened to the land at Straiton? Hands on Hibs (notably Simon Pia and Glen Ross) made some pretty powerful claims about the scale of the proceeds from the sale. Refuted by a poster on this board.

Kaiser1962
24-05-2012, 10:02 AM
He was appointed and then resigned before he commenced in the post. One of the Tories biggest individual funders.

I meet Jim Gray and interviewed him around that time. It's fair to say that he and Duff had good intentions but were right royally shafted. Extremely naive springs to mind. Rowland funded the deal and screwed them senseless. When you think back to the share issue and how much the fans put into the club.........

Still wonder now what happened to the land at Straiton? Hands on Hibs (notably Simon Pia and Glen Ross) made some pretty powerful claims about the scale of the proceeds from the sale. Refuted by a poster on this board.

They both seemed good guys and I agree with most of your post.

We (as in HFC or Holdings) never owned any land at Straiton.

superfurryhibby
24-05-2012, 11:19 AM
They both seemed good guys and I agree with most of your post.

We (as in HFC or Holdings) never owned any land at Straiton.

Interesting, who did own the land that we planned to build a stadium on? Memory is hazy but that suggestion was around for some time after STF acquired Hibs

Kaiser1962
24-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Interesting, who did own the land that we planned to build a stadium on? Memory is hazy but that suggestion was around for some time after STF acquired Hibs

Farmer/Harrison owned the land at Straiton before any involvement with Hibs and long before it was developed into what we recognise today. I suspect they still own parts or part of it through one or more of their companies (Morston?) and the traders there pay them rent. That was the link and why the Yams objected to the ground share in that they saw themselves as tenants of Hibs/Farmer, which they would have been.

Incidentally it was Morston that eventually swallowed the £5m loan from Holdings to the FC in 2003.

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 02:38 PM

I know Gerard was passionate about this and to be fair having met him a lot at that time as well as Simon I always felt there was something. I still think it is right that urstioned were asked and what really happened to the land without people suggesting hidden agendas. There isn't any from me and it would be good to know what did happen?

WHUHibs
24-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Farmer/Harrison owned the land at Straiton before any involvement with Hibs and long before it was developed into what we recognise today. I suspect they still own parts or part of it through one or more of their companies (Morston?) and the traders there pay them rent. That was the link and why the Yams objected to the ground share in that they saw themselves as tenants of Hibs/Farmer, which they would have been.

Incidentally it was Morston that eventually swallowed the £5m loan from Holdings to the FC in 2003.

Solved,,,,:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Don't they now sit in a balcony box at The Muppets?