PDA

View Full Version : getting players

hibby72
22-05-2012, 06:15 PM
its bad enough replacing 3,4 or 5 players during the summer but we need a full squad and a little extra,everyone has gone, hard season lies ahead i think,,,,:confused:

Beefster
22-05-2012, 06:17 PM
its bad enough replacing 3,4 or 5 players during the summer but we need a full squad and a little extra,everyone has gone, hard season lies ahead i think,,,,:confused:

It might be wise to wait and see who we sign this summer before slitting your wrists about next season.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Another transitional season??

Hibercelona
22-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Of course next season is going to be hard.

I just hope we don't sign anybody who thinks its going to be easy.

marinello59
22-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Stuff that.

Emerald
22-05-2012, 10:48 PM
We will all be excited again about the new players who come in and at first they'll look like great signings but as the weeks go by.......................
It never seems to end with Hibs. Dundee Utd seem to be able to get it right every season with massive player turn arounds, we however don't. Maybe this time eh!

Macaroon
22-05-2012, 10:52 PM
We will all be excited again about the new players who come in and at first they'll look like great signings but as the weeks go by.......................
It never seems to end with Hibs. Dundee Utd seem to be able to get it right every season with massive player turn arounds, we however don't. Maybe this time eh!

That's because there isn't something fatally wrong deeper down at United. Here, it seems, there are multiple such things

sahib
22-05-2012, 11:01 PM
That's because there isn't something fatally wrong deeper down at United. Here, it seems, there are multiple such things

Here be monsters! Evil spirits in the deep.

skipster7
22-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Here be monsters! Evil spirits in the deep.
we will do well to get 5/6 experienced pros the standard we need, mix them with the few worth keeping and kids.

dutchhibby
23-05-2012, 08:52 AM
id like to see young paul grant get a run in the team
he looks a big lad and cant be much worse than previous gk's
:thumbsup:

cocopops1875
23-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Behave

Wilson
23-05-2012, 09:25 AM

That seems to be the term we use to cover ourselves when a crap manager makes crap signings and gets crap results.

I don't remember managers being afforded that excuse a few years ago.

Fans are paying to see a winning side - not next season but this.

Seeing as the club invites transition, in it's loan dealings and through being a selling club, it would be disingenious to use it to excuse failure.

Hibs07p
23-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I think we could see a lot of Irish League players, that Fenlon knows all about, arriving next year, because of a possible cut in the budget, but that budget will surely be bigger than most of the clubs in Ireland. He should therefore be able to afford some of the better quality players in the Irish League, and he will also bring in players that will work their bollox off for him. I don't know enough about the Irish League, to comment on what quality to expect, but it must surely be better than what was on show this year, but I am expecting a year of stability, and trying to grow the walk up fanbase with better performance on the pitch.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
23-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Dundee Utd actually took a hell of a long time to get it right. They flirted with relegation a couple of times and were consistently in the bottom 6 despite having 'better' players than that.

Ian McCall, Alex Smith and Craig Brewster were all managerial casualties. Loathe him or loathe him it was Craig Levein who sorted them out. and do you know how? By signing hungry players with a point to prove, players with ambition. He also instilled discipline. Gary Kenneth had played a lot of games for the 1st team but Levein disliked his attitude and lifestyle so he was sent to Cowdenbeath for 6 month to appreciate how lucky he was. Even then it took Levein a couple of years to get a European place, the fans were patient though because they knew things were going in the right direction.

The successes of Dundee Utd over the last few years are.down to hard work and a.change in attitude. They didn't happen overnight or by accident. I'd happily accept the same at Hibs.

Paisley Hibby
23-05-2012, 09:39 AM
we will do well to get 5/6 experienced pros the standard we need, mix them with the few worth keeping and kids.

But that's probably all it takes to do well in the SPL!

BarneyK
23-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Of course it will be. Not that that's a bad thing. Personally I hope we splash out a little bit on 4 or 5 quality players and supplement with youngsters. Quality over quantity. I think we need to implement some kind of playing philosophy and stick to it, so younger players can more easily slot in and and out of the side. They will already know what their role is to be. The only real chance we have of real genuine quality is through the youth sides and that must be the priority. In the meanwhile, 3 or 4 McPakes give us a solid base on which to build.

Future17
23-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Behave

Does the Goalkeepers' Union only admit members of a certain age?

heretoday
23-05-2012, 12:19 PM
It's the start of a long haul back. We recovered from the Mercer thing and from the relegation thing so no reason why we can't do the same again.

Gotta have the funds though.

Pretty Boy
23-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Paul Grant wasnt even our 3rd choice keeper at the start of last season. I wouldn't expect to see him jump 3 places in the pecking order based on being a big lad.

DH1875
23-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Of course next season is going to be hard.

I just hope we don't sign anybody who thinks its going to be easy.

What, do you mean like 5/6 players on loan who think their on the holidays :devil:.

Wouldn't hold my breath mate.

Don Giovanni
23-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Dundee Utd actually took a hell of a long time to get it right. They flirted with relegation a couple of times and were consistently in the bottom 6 despite having 'better' players than that.

Ian McCall, Alex Smith and Craig Brewster were all managerial casualties. Loathe him or loathe him it was Craig Levein who sorted them out. and do you know how? By signing hungry players with a point to prove, players with ambition. He also instilled discipline. Gary Kenneth had played a lot of games for the 1st team but Levein disliked his attitude and lifestyle so he was sent to Cowdenbeath for 6 month to appreciate how lucky he was. Even then it took Levein a couple of years to get a European place, the fans were patient though because they knew things were going in the right direction.

The successes of Dundee Utd over the last few years are.down to hard work and a.change in attitude. They didn't happen overnight or by accident. I'd happily accept the same at Hibs.

:agree:

It's a long way back for Hibernian and I can't think of many examples of a club changing most of it's playing staff in one transfer window and going on to have great success. In fact we may struggle to recruit players for next seasons kick off, similar to last year's farce of a close season.

I would like to think we will see "progress" and at least be challenging for the top six.

Let me be clear 10th and then 11th is failure, it is unacceptable for Hibs to be involved in a relegation scrap IMO.
The board must back yet another manager this summer, here's hoping they've finally got it right this time...

Spike Mandela
23-05-2012, 12:45 PM
When we narrowly avoided relegation in 1997 via the playoffs we were relegated the following year. Wouldn't be a surprise if the same happened again.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-05-2012, 12:48 PM
When we narrowly avoided relegation in 1997 via the playoffs we were relegated the following year. Wouldn't be a surprise if the same happened again.

:bitchy::shocked::eek::worried:

SloopJB
23-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Exactly what the majority of hibs fans are demanding with the calls for so many players to be axed.
Can't moan if we get what we ask for.

gegs70
23-05-2012, 01:24 PM
We just need a few experienced players throughout the team to work with the young up and coming players. If we dont use our youngsters then we may as well close east mains....no point in bringing in under19s from other clubs to give them game time?

seven nowt
23-05-2012, 07:18 PM
It might be wise to wait and see who we sign this summer before slitting your wrists about next season.

I agree.

hopefulhibby
23-05-2012, 07:35 PM
It's the start of a long haul back. We recovered from the Mercer thing and from the relegation thing so no reason why we can't do the same again.

Gotta have the funds though.
We are really asking a lot of players to come here, what is PF going to do to attract good players to come here as he has no track record at this level, i mean lets be honest the players who were in the stands in suits can at least say we were not playing that day, i would not want last Saturday on my CV would you

woodyloon
23-05-2012, 09:14 PM
My concern is that PF knew weeks ago how many players he needed to sign, possibly 11 or more players, I would of thought that at least 4 or 5 would of already been identifed as definate signings.

I don't envy PF task though, but I think we might see more players more like Eoin Doyle, not necessarly the greatest but willing to put in a shift.