PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Iain Vigurs - Ross County

keithkeith
22-05-2012, 10:08 AM
We have, apparently, made enquiries about Vigurs?

http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/squad/1st-team/iain-vigurs.aspx

Left-sided midfield player, skillful.

Apart from that, don't know much about him, will check some match reports later...

Billychaotic182
22-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Did he play for Cally at one point?

Hibernian Verse
22-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Was rated at caley iirc not too sure why he dropped down a division

Mikey
22-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Well if he didn't cut it at ICT why are we sniffing around?

Unless he's suddenly become a much better player..................

Scouse Hibee
Would hope we are setting our sights a bit higher TBH.

hibernianyank
He is good on Football Manager haha

smurf
22-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Because we forever do quantity over quality?

Hibernian Verse
22-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Why?

Gary Mackay-Steven
Danny Swanson
Andy Webster
Ivan Sproule

That's just off the top of my head.

Hibernian Verse
22-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Craig Bryson another who is now at Derby. Stevenson that played for Hearts.

There's no reason to not look down the leagues.

ScottB
22-05-2012, 10:17 AM

County were probably offering more cash?

besides, he wouldn't be the first player to have to drop down a division but end up becoming much better... A mate of mine is a big County fan, will see what his opinion on him is.

Gmack7
22-05-2012, 10:19 AM
is that guffy martin scott stil here if so maybe a swap

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Why?

Gary Mackay-Steven
Danny Swanson
Andy Webster
Ivan Sproule

That's just off the top of my head.

Why? Because I happen to think that taking a chance on lower league players who have failed to make the grade in the SPL already is a gamble that Hibs can ill afford if they are to dig themselves out of this huge hole they are in. Remember Jimmy Scott? Sure you can quote a huge list of those who have made it and likewise I can quote a huge list of those who haven't. I suppose it's about striking the right balance which I only hope PF can do.

scuttle
22-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Cant be any worse than what we have in midfield at present

R'Albin
22-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Just because he dropped down a division doesn't mean he isn't good enough. Stephen Dobbie did it and is now playing at a higher level, Ricardo Vaz Te was apparently not good enough for Hibs and he will also be in the EPL next year.

Joe
22-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Out of contract

http://www.thejailender.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ginger-pele-signs-stays-another-year.html

"Most of last season's squad have already agreed to return to Victoria Park for next season, however five of the squad have yet to agree terms - these being defenders Scott Morrison and Gary Miller along with midfielders Richard Brittain, Iain Vigurs and Paul Lawson."

Leishy1995
22-05-2012, 10:50 AM
The striker from Brechin is surely done with his plumbing course?

scoopyboy
22-05-2012, 11:35 AM
The striker from Brechin is surely done with his plumbing course?

Yep, now plumbing with Peterhead.

Pretty Boy
22-05-2012, 11:37 AM
A naturally left sided midfielder in the squad?

Nah, it'll never catch on.

danhibees1875
22-05-2012, 11:38 AM
We could do with a bit of vigour in our team. .... :rolleyes:

Leishy1995
22-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Yep, now plumbing with Peterhead.

Woops! Is he likely to want to make the step up?

Macaroon
22-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Does this mean the Hayes deal has fallen through then...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMQnXzFPlU

Only clip I could find of him.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2012, 04:59 PM

This

Kenny1875
22-05-2012, 05:05 PM
This is totally off topic but what does the prefix 'Greggs' mean and why is it used?

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 05:10 PM
While not saying we should sign crap, I think it's more important that we sign passion. If we sign good players that only stick around for a year then we won't have any sort of backbone to build the team around. If we continue to be a stepping stone in players' careers, and if they don't stay around for something like 3-4 years, then we will have the same problems every year as we have to replace them. The ideal scenario would be to sign good players who want to play for Hibs, players who won't run off a the first sign of a bigger paycheck (or to sign them to longer contracts so that we at least get compensated when they're snatched from us).

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 05:10 PM
This is totally off topic but what does the prefix 'Greggs' mean and why is it used?

It means it was overheard in Greggs. No official source.

Squealing pig
22-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Why? Because I happen to think that taking a chance on lower league players who have failed to make the grade in the SPL already is a gamble that Hibs can ill afford if they are to dig themselves out of this huge hole they are in. Remember Jimmy Scott? Sure you can quote a huge list of those who have made it and likewise I can quote a huge list of those who haven't. I suppose it's about striking the right balance which I only hope PF can do.
jimmy scott is ten times player claros is. think the guys prob best midfielder we have ATM

Hibernia Na Eir
22-05-2012, 06:53 PM
what we offering, £600 pw?

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 07:25 PM
jimmy scott is ten times player claros is. think the guys prob best midfielder we have ATM

Might be the only one.

Leishy1995
22-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Is jimmy Scott still at hibs?

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2012, 08:06 PM

That tells you just how bad Claros is then as Jimmy Scott is out of his depth in the SPL and has proved it.

Please don't use the old bad memory routine and clamour for players who have already proved their useless worth to suddenly be better than they are!

brog
22-05-2012, 08:22 PM
That tells you just how bad Claros is then as Jimmy Scott is out of his depth in the SPL and has proved it.

Please don't use the old bad memory routine and clamour for players who have already proved their useless worth to suddenly be better than they are!

Scott's no great shakes but he'd have been much nore competitive in midfield than Claros, Osborne or Soares on Saturday. Mind you so would I have been!!

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Scott's no great shakes but he'd have been much nore competitive in midfield than Claros, Osborne or Soares on Saturday. Mind you so would I have been!!

I think we all agree that it wouldn't take much to better the performances of that midfield.

Vault Boy
22-05-2012, 08:55 PM

In his defense, he left Caley when he was 20 years old, having never really had a great opportunity there despite being highly rated. When he returned to play against Inverness (for County) he scored a goal and I believe won 'Young Player of the Month' at around the same time.

So in fairness, seeing as he was aged 17-20 during his Inverness days and never given a shot, a much improved player he may just be. May. :aok:

hopefulhibby
23-05-2012, 07:18 PM
is that guffy martin scott stil here if so maybe a swap
Anyone think Jimmy will go back along with other players who were rejected by PF And how will they do under Derek Adams, seriously? because the last thing we need is ex hibbys coming back to haunt us

Speedway
24-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Scott goes back there plays well and we get the next duffer in his place. It Vigurs.

McHibby
24-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I've seen him at quite a few County matches, I've been impressed with him. I am pretty sure RC only lost one game the entire season, and a player who only played in a losing team once (albeit in a lower league) is surely still head and shoulders above what we have right now? As others have also said, I am not sure why folk look down their nose at a player just because he's from a lower division.

GordonHFC
24-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I've seen him at quite a few County matches, I've been impressed with him. I am pretty sure RC only lost one game the entire season, and a player who only played in a losing team once (albeit in a lower league) is surely still head and shoulders above what we have right now? As others have also said, I am not sure why folk look down their nose at a player just because he's from a lower division.

Agreed. I'd rather we signed players on the way up than on the way down.

PeterboroHibee
24-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Anyone think Jimmy will go back along with other players who were rejected by PF And how will they do under Derek Adams, seriously? because the last thing we need is ex hibbys coming back to haunt us

If he does then so what, it happens. It appears that he doesnt have a future at the club for whatever reason, so would you rather we just held on to him and didnt play him? Thats unfair on him, can be damaging on morale and a waste of money for the club.

As for Vigurs, if he is indeed coming to the club think thats a good signing. It might be a step up and he may need time to settle in, but other clubs have shown that signing hungry young players from the lower leagues can really bring success. If we can bring in experienced SPL players alongside the lower league players we seem to be looking at then we may finally have some stability!

cam75
24-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Stephen dobbie

Scouse Hibee
24-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Stephen dobbie

Matt Gilkes

Paisley Hibby
24-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Agreed. I'd rather we signed players on the way up than on the way down.

Arguably Sauzee, Latapy, Archibald and Murdo McLeod were on the way down when we signed them. So I suppose it depends on the player?

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Arguably Sauzee, Latapy, Archibald and Murdo McLeod were on the way down when we signed them. So I suppose it depends on the player?

Also depends from what height they are on their way down from...Sauzee was outstanding and I imagine the bottom for him would still be excellent in SPL terms

Leishy1995
24-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Sauzee was an ex champions league winner, but gave every bone for Hibs. Can't see many others doing such a thing.

Paisley Hibby
24-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Sauzee was an ex champions league winner, but gave every bone for Hibs. Can't see many others doing such a thing.

True - but the original point I was responding to was that we would be better signing players who are on the way up rather than on the way down. Sauzee and the other players I mentioned all came to us from a higher level and towards the end of their careers. So I wouldn't rule out trying something similar now - although I can't think who we could sign that falls into that category.

Now just to go off topic for a moment - did Sauzee not win the Champions League with Marseille? Would that be the same Marseille whose owner got done for match fixing and the club who also were accused of all kinds of bribery and corruption on their way to winning the European Cup that year? And who were one of the teams Marseille put out that year - that's right, our friends from the Big Hoose. Despite there being a very bad smell about the whole thing, Marseille managed to hang on to their European title. Maybe the Hunz should be reminded of this story?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not suggesting for one moment that Sauzee himself was up to anything dodgy. In fact I'd be gobsmacked if that was the case.

IanFaeClerrie
24-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Just because he dropped down a division doesn't mean he isn't good enough. Stephen Dobbie did it and is now playing at a higher level, Ricardo Vaz Te was apparently not good enough for Hibs and he will also be in the EPL next year.

How can we expect to sign a better keeper than Stack?

AlbertK86
24-05-2012, 08:57 PM
How can we expect to sign a better keeper than Stack?

Are you serious ... He's as bad ad Zibi and Simon Brown

Macaroon
24-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Are you serious ... He's as bad ad Zibi and Simon Brown

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh hard.

How you can think that is beyond me. (Unless you are being sarcastic and I'm not picking up on it.)

Leitherhibs
24-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Not gonna lie, that made me laugh hard.

How you can think that is beyond me. (Unless you are being sarcastic and I'm not picking up on it.)

Stack is not a world beater, but remains one of the best keepers to play for us in the last 10-15 years. Not much competition granted.

hiblander
24-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Last word for the original Dingwall man, Vigurs is awesome for County...and so he always will be.

Scott, Rankin, Wilson, Cowie all former players (please check my previous posts urging Hibs for Cowie and Rankin )

Adams has left Hibs and no longer requires Hibs services or vice versa.

County have money and a squad which probably will beat Hibs next year.

Sorry but thats life.

:cb

Colr
24-05-2012, 10:04 PM

...and Ray "%^&£*" Wilkins.

Macaroon
24-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Last word for the original Dingwall man, Vigurs is awesome for County...and so he always will be.

Scott, Rankin, Wilson, Cowie all former players (please check my previous posts urging Hibs for Cowie and Rankin )

Adams has left Hibs and no longer requires Hibs services or vice versa.

County have money and a squad which probably will beat Hibs next year.

Sorry but thats life.

:cb
Hehe can't wait for this now.

hiblander
24-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Hehe can't wait for this now.

Having supported County and Hibs for 25 years I have seen my little cuddly highland league team already beat my big bad Edinburgh side...whom i thought were invincible when i was a boy !!!

:greengrin