PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Hibs

rcarter1
21-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi Folks, I don't post much and for one reason or another am not a regular to Easter Road, but have spent the last 48hrs gutted.

There are two purposes of this post. One is to throw out there the possible reasons for this mess. The other is to consider possible solutions.
My only hope is that if some kind of consensus can be made, that our concerns and suggestions can be taken to the club in one form or another.

Starting with a couple points that few would argue with:

1) Team not good enough - and hasn't been for some years.

2) We're soft touches and have been for a while.

Other points that may be more contentious but I happen to believe are true:

3) player 'power' too strong at the club and has been for some time.

4) Blaming our previous managers (2005+) is too easy, and the problems are deeper than that.

5) Our finances are reasonably well managed in terms of debt/turnover - but is not translating to punching at our weight relative to other SPL clubs.

6) Our youth system is not working as well as it was/could.

The final point is regarding the manager and leads onto possible solutions.

7) Pat Fenlon has made some mistakes with signings, but is not to blame for the extent of our problems - and shows signs of wanting to fight for improvement. Alex Ferguson took a while to get Man United going, and its too early to determine if Fenlon is the right/wrong man. I personally wouldn't want a punt on another random. He feels the pain of saturday, and this should motivate him to get it right. Brian Clough rose to success on the back of a desire to set the record straight and make his mark. If Fenlon wants to set the record straight regards Edinburgh football - then lets see what he can do - he doesn't look like a loser to me.

Im sure are more problems, and the following suggestions for the way forward are only my thoughts. I hope that fans closer to the ground so to speak are capable of driving the club aggressively towards improving it.

As I feel that most of our problems are linked to each other, I believe that the solution(s) should address the whole problem at its root.

1) Pat Fenlon and Rod Petrie discuss the situation. I can only hope that Petrie (who may be a large part of the problem), has the guts and strength of character to see any solutions objectively - and not defend his 'policies' or previous decisions. Pat has enough experience dealing with successful teams - albeit at a lower level, to understand what he needs from the players in terms of basic discipline and spirit. In this regard he should be allowed to freeze out any player at the club that he feels is incapable of coming round to his regime. Thankfully most of the current players are loans going back, or out of contract. Anyone else still on a contract that even resembles a dissenting voice should be isolated from the team, told to find another club or sit out their contract. They should not even be allowed into the ground or any of the clubs facilities.

Deep breath..

2) Fenlon will need to prove himself in the transfer market. God only knows how that works, but clearly our budget is a constraint. I would favour taking all the youth players - put them through their paces in a kind of 'boot camp' type exercise and release all the whiners and slackers. I feel for them considering the job market, but playing for Hibs should be a privilege only given to the committed. With what is left, and with the hope that the experience will have begun the semblance of a 'team spirit', the manager needs to be given a flexible wage budget so that he can fill the team with older/experienced players fitting the description of 'the right people'. As the youth players haven't proven anything, they would be on the low wages. The older/experienced guys could be negotiated with, relevant to each particular situation. If one of these players is a James McPake type figure head and gets more money than the others, so be it. Ultimately players should be chosen to ensure that the higher earners are proven for commitment, aggression (controlled!!), responsibility, as well as ability and experience. This is absolutely vital
as the younger players will respond to money as much as personality/attitude. If the wasters and moaners are the big money boys then this can only set the wrong example.

3) Start the season with some committed performances focusing more on showing the opposition that we won't lie down, and hope the fans respond to this.

Sorry for the length of the post, particularly in light that I am not a regular to the board, but this HAS to be the time to get the club going again.

Yours in Hibeeness.

Hiber-nation
21-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Really good summary, lots of sensible points well made :top marks

Ozyhibby
21-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Some good points. Add to that we need to move to the players training all day instead of finishing at lunchtime. If EPL teams train all day I find it odd that we think we don't need to. Especially when it's obvious we are not a fit team.

Treadstone
21-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Some good points. Add to that we need to move to the players training all day instead of finishing at lunchtime. If EPL teams train all day I find it odd that we think we don't need to. Especially when it's obvious we are not a fit team.

So true . Tell them when they sign what is expected/demanded and then they can have no complaints when it happens .Preferably this should come from the manager.

Treadstone
21-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I remember reading the Dalglish autobiography and it may be a little thing but he stressed the spirit which was grown out of players having their lunch at the club between sessions . It impacts twofold the spirit and the players eating the right stuff . Guaranteed 75%+ hit a drive-thru on the way home.

TheMentalHibees
21-05-2012, 08:04 PM
We've been in transition for the last 3 years. We need to build a squad that is capable of challenging at the top end of the league, another season spent propping up the table could be disastrous. Some god damn investment on the park would be nice, we've spent money on everything else, time to see some cash getting spent on bringing good quality players to the club. Tired of seeing us sign players that aren't good enough to grace the jersey, using us as a paycheque and not putting in a shift when it matters. We need to transform back into a club that players want to play for, attracting the type that actually care about the team they're representing.

The managerial merry-go round has to stop as well, it's impossible to get stability when a different person with a different mentality is trying to impress their ideals on the club every season. Paddy seems like the right man with the right attitude, the board need to give him the tools to turn us back into a reputable club that supporters and players alike can be proud of. At the moment, we're bordering on becoming a joke and the buck stops with the people at the top. I wonder how Fenlon is going to sell the club to players, after last season our rep must be quite low.

snooky
21-05-2012, 09:14 PM
We've been in transition for the last 3 years. We need to build a squad that is capable of challenging at the top end of the league, another season spent propping up the table could be disastrous. Some god damn investment on the park would be nice, we've spent money on everything else, time to see some cash getting spent on bringing good quality players to the club. Tired of seeing us sign players that aren't good enough to grace the jersey, using us as a paycheque and not putting in a shift when it matters. We need to transform back into a club that players want to play for, attracting the type that actually care about the team they're representing.

The managerial merry-go round has to stop as well, it's impossible to get stability when a different person with a different mentality is trying to impress their ideals on the club every season. Paddy seems like the right man with the right attitude, the board need to give him the tools to turn us back into a reputable club that supporters and players alike can be proud of. At the moment, we're bordering on becoming a joke and the buck stops with the people at the top. I wonder how Fenlon is going to sell the club to players, after last season our rep must be quite low.

Methinks 'decline' would be a better word, MH

Jim44
21-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Fenlon should have one aim next season. To reverse the reputation we have earned as relegation fodder. This means demanding the respect of other teams, which we have sadly lost over the past few years, by shrugging off terms like, bottlers, losers and soft touches. If Fenlon can do that and get us into a comfortable 7th or 8th place, I'll be more than satisfied. To expect anything more than that is just giving your mind a treat.

theonlywayisup
21-05-2012, 09:47 PM
6) Our youth system is not working as well as it was/could.

I think the thing that depresses me more than anything is the lack of apparent quality coming from the youth set-up. I had always thought that the purpose of the youth set-up was that the style of play at the youth level was the same as that at senior level, so at any time you could pluck a player from the youth team and fit him into the senior team and not notice much of a difference (as what happens at Barca).

In the past, when Brown, Deek, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher made their debut, I remember thinking "wow, they look the part". Yet the recent crop, make no impression on me at all. Is that because they are not good enough or is it because they are coming into a team that plays differently from what they play at the youth level?

I would be interested to know from anyone who watches both is thare any similarity in playing style and formation between the youth and senior level.