PDA

View Full Version : The problem for Fenlon is...

FLHIBS
21-05-2012, 04:10 PM
That he now has the tag of being the manager of the team that recorded the worst result in the history of the club, not many managers would want that hanging over them nor would many managers recover from that ?

A stigma now hangs over him ?

I like the guy and want him to be given the proper amount of time to turn matters around but could that stigma be too much to deal with within himself ? not great for his own confidence or self-belief ?

Stantons Angel
21-05-2012, 04:15 PM
The worst result in the history of the club???

If you are referring to Saturday then it is a massive failure to be endured not just by us the supporters but by the manager too.

Worst result, i hardly think so? Ive sat at a very cold and icey ibrox and watched them get beated 7-0...

Ive watched other Cup Finals and seen them beaten 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 all by Celtic some years ago.

May be the worst display in a final i have seen.... by gawd yes!!!

Golden Bear
21-05-2012, 04:27 PM
The worst result in the history of the club???

If you are referring to Saturday then it is a massive failure to be endured not just by us the supporters but by the manager too.

Worst result, i hardly think so? Ive sat at a very cold and icey ibrox and watched them get beated 7-0...

Ive watched other Cup Finals and seen them beaten 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 all by Celtic some years ago.

May be the worst display in a final i have seen.... by gawd yes!!!

:agree:

It even eclipsed their performance in the 2004 CIS Final against Livingston and that is no mean achievement.

One Day Soon
21-05-2012, 05:02 PM
That he now has the tag of being the manager of the team that recorded the worst result in the history of the club, not many managers would want that hanging over them nor would many managers recover from that ?

I like the guy and want him to be given the proper amount of time to turn matters around but could that stigma be too much to deal with within himself ? not great for his own confidence or self-belief ?

Ah, Yam reek. Such a distinctively pungent bouquet.

Ozyhibby
21-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Tough, he'll just need to get on with it. If he doesn't make the right changes over the summer (and I don't just mean new players) then he'll be gone by the time of the agm.

ancient hibee
21-05-2012, 06:27 PM
One of our worst results was when we only beat Hearts 7-0-it should have been about 17-0.

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-05-2012, 06:30 PM
One of our worst results was when we only beat Hearts 7-0-it should have been about 17-0. :agree: Or the 6-2 game - should have been about 11-2 but for poor finishing on the night. I'll never forgive them for that.

The Green Goblin
21-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I think we should get right off Fenlon's back

Saorsa
21-05-2012, 06:39 PM
There's nae problem for him as far as I'm concerned, he's one of the few people at our club right now who as the right attitude. Most of the rest from top tae bottom can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

AlbertK86
21-05-2012, 06:53 PM
To me it is the worst result as it was the cup final against our biggest rivals ....

However I'm over it and defo do not blame Fenlon

Let's see wot he does over the next season or two. The only way is up

If anybody to blame it is ROD and his merry men. He must be accountable for all the changes and failure to get a proper playing structure in place

iain nolan
21-05-2012, 07:24 PM
i will tell you the problem fenlon had colin colderwood the manager who didt want to manager hibernian from the start off the season . fenlon has finaly came out and told us the club is full off lossers at last a manager who see the same as the fans . the problem is the players only give 50% and fenlon looking for 100% every game off his players DOYLE his first signing gives that not the best player in world but gives 100% (yogi hughes) . i think you find we might not sign the best players but he sign players who give hibernian 100% and thats all the fans ask for not like the bunch off lossers you been playing last season:flag:

Jim44
21-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I hope all this negativity about Fenlon stops soon. We will be a bigger laughing stock if he gets the boot or walks away. In a perverse sort of way I think our win over Aberdeen has contrived to work against him. If we had been narrowly beaten by Aberdeen and not reached the cup final, all things considered, it would have been a relatively satisfying end to the season with Fenlon achieving what he came here to do. As it is, it has added a series of sour notes to the end of the season, with a terrible result in a crucial match, players leaving the club on a low, Fenlon being sanctioned. We have a wee mountain to climb to get in shape for the new season but Fenlon has to be given the chance to take us forward.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Fenlon starts with a clean slate next season as far as I'm concerned.

New season, his team, decent crowds thanks to the ST sales

This time next year (barring an absolute disaster) will be the time to judge him and even then only in terms of a longer term plan imo.

Alfred E Newman
21-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I had the same thoughts Jim. Even although it was a great day out it really set us up for a howking in the final . We expected it would be against Celtic but when Hearts pulled of the shock result most of the realists among us feared for the worst. This team of misfits and wasters that are currently masquerading as Hibernian FC were never ever going to end our Cup misery. Good riddance to the lot of them.

scuttle
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM
His biggest problem imo will be attracting qaulity players to the club. Hes got a tough job on his hands

yeezus.
21-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I'd like to think that the 11 men on the pitch are remembered for putting on a terrible display on one of our biggest days out. Fenlon kept his up - that for me is a good enough achievement. I'll begin to judge him on his results next season ... hopefully with a new squad.

fatbloke
21-05-2012, 09:37 PM
He is not up to the task, end of.

FLHIBS
21-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Yam reek ? WTF.......a Hibs fan for over 43 years, so I've seen every up and down there is, I'm just making what I think is a valid opinion.....then be accused of being a Yam !!........erse ! read my other posts fool !.......travelled *****g thousands of miles to watch that sham on Saturday but still proud to be a Hibee

I really want PF to succeed and I'd be willing to give him 3 years, as that is what it will take to return us to a top 4 team, just have a concern about the effect this defeat will have on him. Strange events do strange things to some people..........

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Yam reek ? WTF.......a Hibs fan for over 43 years, so I've seen every up and down there is, I'm just making what I think is a valid opinion.....then be accused of being a Yam !!........erse ! read my other posts fool !.......travelled *****g thousands of miles to watch that sham on Saturday but still proud to be a Hibee

I really want PF to succeed and I'd be willing to give him 3 years, as that is what it will take to return us to a top 4 team, just have a concern about the effect this defeat will have on him. Strange events do strange things to some people..........

This board is a terrible place to be a Newbie if you have an opinion that is not happy clapping your a Yam until you have 5000 posts you still get accused of being a yam. Sad but true ignore the accusations continue to post and prove them wrong.

fatbloke
21-05-2012, 10:28 PM
He talks a lot of tom Kite. Example below PF talking about Soares

“He rarely gives the ball away and knows where he needs to be on the park. He’s going to be a good addition but we need to keep fit.”

I rest my case.

fatbloke
21-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Hopefully one day soon One Day Soon might make a reasonable post. i will not hold my breath I look strange blue.

hibernia_inn
21-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Fenlon starts with a clean slate next season as far as I'm concerned.

New season, his team, decent crowds thanks to the ST sales

This time next year (barring an absolute disaster) will be the time to judge him and even then only in terms of a longer term plan imo.

Fenlon has great plans for next season...... although when he can only offer £1500 per week for players which ain't a lot of money these days when the likes of Danny Swanson is getting offered £10,000 a week in the English Championship.

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Fenlon has great plans for next season...... although when he can only offer £1500 per week for players which ain't a lot of money these days when the likes of Danny Swanson is getting offered £10,000 a week in the English Championship.

As GOC would say I will run bare naked down Princess St if Swanson has been offered 10k Leigh Griffiths was allegedly on less than £3 at Wolves !

The Green Goblin
21-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I wonder if the club will give Fenlon what he believes he needs financially in order to do what he has to do. I hope so, because if there's a disagreement there, then I could see Fenlon walking. Hard to see how he, or anybody could change things, given the enormity of the problem.

I do find posts saying Fenlon "isn't up to it" a bit strange. Every manager makes decisions some of the support don't agree with. That's always been the case.

Who exactly in the world could do something about our sorry excuse for a team/squad? And who could change the prevailing poor mentality at the club that affects it from top to bottom?

fatbloke
21-05-2012, 10:44 PM

£8.5k a week to pay his medical bills:greengrin

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I wonder if the club will give Fenlon what he believes he needs financially in order to do what he has to do. I hope so, because if there's a disagreement there, then I could see Fenlon walking. Hard to see how he, or anybody could change things, given the enormity of the problem.

I do find posts saying Fenlon "isn't up to it" a bit strange. Every manager makes decisions some of the support don't agree with. That's always been the case.

Who exactly in the world could do something about our sorry excuse for a team/squad? And who could change the prevailing poor mentality at the club that affects it from top to bottom?

A good manager thats who. Most managers apart from AVB come in and get a reaction they at least make the team difficult to beat. Hibs managers can't seem to change the mood or mindset of the players and if that is the case you have the wrong players, the wrong manager or Both.

PS I want Pat to stay but HE has to change things and there has to be a noticable difference in or attitude and commitment from the 1st day of next season.

PatHead
21-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Don't know how anyone could expect anyone to turn that place round in 6 months. Give him a chance.

FitbaFolkKen
21-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't think there will be a stigma, everyone knows we are terrible.

The work over the summer and the first couple of months of next season will shape whether he is a success or not, I don't think the final will bear too much significance on his Hibs career.

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 11:01 PM

The work over the summer and the first couple of months of next season will shape whether he is a success or not, I don't think the final will bear too much significance on his Hibs career.

As you say he will be judged on next season if Hibs start badly and lose a couple of times to Hearts very quickly the final will be dreged up and will have a bearing on his future. He needs an early decisive win against them.

FLHIBS
21-05-2012, 11:05 PM

I really hope it doesn't, as I really like the guy and you can see his passion. I just hope that he can make progress next year(mid-table is realistic) but I fear that we cannot get out of the rut and we get into a Steve Keen situation where the club will stand by him( or it's RP's erse also) whatever, but the fans turn on him in a bad way(with the memory of Saturday hanging over everyone)

Just Alf
21-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I hope all this negativity about Fenlon stops soon. We will be a bigger laughing stock if he gets the boot or walks away. In a perverse sort of way I think our win over Aberdeen has contrived to work against him. If we had been narrowly beaten by Aberdeen and not reached the cup final, all things considered, it would have been a relatively satisfying end to the season with Fenlon achieving what he came here to do. As it is, it has added a series of sour notes to the end of the season, with a terrible result in a crucial match, players leaving the club on a low, Fenlon being sanctioned. We have a wee mountain to climb to get in shape for the new season but Fenlon has to be given the chance to take us forward.

Bang on!

jacomo
22-05-2012, 10:00 AM

I kind of get your point, but I really hope Fenlon does not think like this. For me, this is part of the losing mentality that has become embedded at Hibs. We'd almost rather not test ourselves on the bigger stage, for fear of being found out.

Saturday was an incredible opportunity for Hibs, the kind that comes round (it seems) about once a century. Of course Hearts were always favourites to win it, but - come the final - I can tell you who definitely wouldn't be winning the Cup: Celtic, Aberdeen, or any other club who entered the 11/12 competition.

Hibs had an opportunity. We f***ed it up big time. Fenlon should think about making amends for this result every single day he remains as Hibs boss.

Mikey
22-05-2012, 10:03 AM

If that had happened we would be sitting at around 2000 season tickets. It was well below 1500 up to that semi final.

At least he's now got some money to play with even if a lot of those new or renewed ST holders don't turn up to games.

heretoday
22-05-2012, 10:19 AM
It's not the worst result in the history of the club. I'd say that was the 6-1 drubbing by Celtic in the 1972 final - especially since at that time expectations were high of a cup win.

No one I know seriously expected us to win on Saturday despite the Evening News and others talking up our chances. It would have been better if we'd lost to Aberdeen in the semi.

hopefulhibby
22-05-2012, 10:59 AM
There's nae problem for him as far as I'm concerned, he's one of the few people at our club right now who as the right attitude. Most of the rest from top tae bottom can GTF as far as I'm concerned.
From where i was sitting on Saturday we have massive problems, PF looked way out of his depth just clueless and then letting himself down by gesturing to the yams, PF will be the target of all support that we play next season, as for us attracting players it will be tough, Johnny Hayes and Gavin Gunning have been mentioned on this site, i dont think we have a hope of signing players like them and it will be players like Micheal O Connor and Clifford Byrne who were released by S****horpe last week that PF will be going for

ancient hibee
22-05-2012, 03:42 PM

£10000 a week for a guy that can't get a regular game in the SPL.Aye right.

Golden Bear
22-05-2012, 03:53 PM
It's not the worst result in the history of the club. I'd say that was the 6-1 drubbing by Celtic in the 1972 final - especially since at that time expectations were high of a cup win.

No one I know seriously expected us to win on Saturday despite the Evening News and others talking up our chances. It would have been better if we'd lost to Aberdeen in the semi.

I disagree. The manner of Saturday's defeat and of course the opposition we were up against made the humbling in the 1972 final feel like an insignificant event.

May I add that the team of '72 would have slain that bunch of chicken hearted talentless overpaid amateurs that masqueraded as a Hibs team on Saturday.

Sammy7nil
22-05-2012, 06:15 PM

We were playing recent European Champs who were in the semis again a few years later possibly one of the top 5 teams in Europe at the time our opponents on Saturday do not fall in to that category :cb

One Day Soon
22-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Hopefully one day soon One Day Soon might make a reasonable post. i will not hold my breath I look strange blue.

Ha, ha. Perhaps one day soon fatbloke will learn that a manager needs a reasonable length of time to prove whether they have it or not, whereas a permanent merry go round is a guarantee of ending up...........................................exact ly where we are now.

Bamba
22-05-2012, 11:18 PM
As GOC would say I will run bare naked down Princess St if Swanson has been offered 10k Leigh Griffiths was allegedly on less than £3 at Wolves !

And they say footballers are overpaid....

basehibby
23-05-2012, 12:48 AM

It might look like that to some - in fact it's inevitable that such a disastrous result will put some doubt in many peoples minds as to Fenlon's abilities as a manager. But I think it would be wrong to look at that result in isolation.

He got us to the cup final in the first place afterall which SHOULD count in his favour - it turned out to be a nightmare which certainly doesn't, but that should be outweighed in the big scheme of things by the fact he got us there and avoided relegation IMO. He has earned a crack at rebuilding this team for me and I just hope that he is given suitable backing by the board AND the fans to do so effectively.

Sammy7nil
23-05-2012, 10:36 PM
It might look like that to some - in fact it's inevitable that such a disastrous result will put some doubt in many peoples minds as to Fenlon's abilities as a manager. But I think it would be wrong to look at that result in isolation.

He got us to the cup final in the first place afterall which SHOULD count in his favour - it turned out to be a nightmare which certainly doesn't, but that should be outweighed in the big scheme of things by the fact he got us there and avoided relegation IMO. He has earned a crack at rebuilding this team for me and I just hope that he is given suitable backing by the board AND the fans to do so effectively.

I think Pat might prefer if you did as his overall record is no better :greengrin

basehibby
23-05-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Pat might prefer if you did as his overall record is no better :greengrin

:greengrin Fair point - his stats so far don't make pretty reading right enough. That said I think it's fair to say there was a steady progress from being everyone's whipping boys to being a team at least capable of beating other bottom 6 teams. We never looked like beating any top 6 teams however - mainly due to a dearth of creative options in midfield IMO and sadly that trend continued into the cup final. I would hope to see that situation drastically improved over the coming months though and believe the best chance of doing so is sticking with and backing Fenlon - as well as showing passion and commitment to the job I think he's shown a capability to identify and source suitable players to carry out specific roles that need doing within the team. I believe he's now got a good handle on what's required for the season ahead and should be given the chance to continue that upward momentum and see the vision through.