PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon well done

Green Cabbage 7
21-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Well done pat patched a poor team up kept us up and got to the final! I'm proud of what you managed and hope to see your own built team next season! I think we will be in good shape next season come on the hibs! Oh and us the supporters get out there show your colours and show we really are supporters who in the face of defeat will still be counted!

gbur123ukgb
21-05-2012, 11:28 AM
just about to go out shopping ive got my hibs top and shorts on dont really care what the jambgos say hail hail

bighairyfaeleith
21-05-2012, 11:30 AM
just about to go out shopping ive got my hibs top and shorts on dont really care what the jambgos say hail hail

shorts as well, seriously bad fashion dude even if it is the hibs strip

heretoday
21-05-2012, 11:36 AM
If Hibs can get to the cup final with a team like that after the season they've had there is hope.
Provided Fenlon is allowed some cash to build his side, maybe Hibs can win the cup next time..

Ozyhibby
21-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Our results got worse after Fenlon arrived but don't let that get in the way of blind loyalty. Luckily the pars were so bad that there was no way we could get relegated.

Captain Trips
21-05-2012, 12:08 PM
The season we have had is down to PF in no small part. He saved us from a relegation he was involved in putting us in. Easy to blame CC but PF was backed in January made some changes and yet still we battled until 2/3 games to go. Absolutley CC left a mess but PF IMO has made very little difference.

CC was left a mess by Yogi and yet his 3/4 of a season was not seen as very good yet PF seems to have more support for basically doing as badly. Tactics can be fixed a lot faster than the team and he is still found wanting 6 months later.

Hibby 2005
21-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I've already stated that next season, with his signings, will prove his worth (or not).

The worrying thing about the Final was that he failed to motivate the side before or during the game.

Hibercelona
21-05-2012, 12:13 PM
The season we have had is down to PF in no small part. He saved us from a relegation he was involved in putting us in. Easy to blame CC but PF was backed in January made some changes and yet still we battled until 2/3 games to go. Absolutley CC left a mess but PF IMO has made very little difference.

CC was left a mess by Yogi and yet his 3/4 of a season was not seen as very good yet PF seems to have more support for basically doing as badly. Tactics can be fixed a lot faster than the team and he is still found wanting 6 months later.

No tactics were ever going to work with a shower like that.

We can't blame Fenlon for the current state we are in. He needs to have a proper go at this.

Patching up a team of wasters with a few short term loan players was never going to produce pretty results.

Hibercelona
21-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I've already stated that next season, with his signings, will prove his worth (or not).

The worrying thing about the Final was that he failed to motivate the side before or during the game.

Unfortunately you can't motivate people who are incapable of motivating themselves.

This lot don't know what it means to feel motivated and up for the challanege.

We need to give Fenlon a chance to bring in players that will understand.

danhibees1875
21-05-2012, 12:16 PM
He had 1 objective, he achieved that.

I think PF would -wrongly- be getting more credit on here if we'd won an aberdeen league game rather than the cup game and avoided relegation by an extra week and didn't play the final.

He done what was asked this season, now lets see what he can do over the summer and where he takes us next season. :aok:

Hibby 2005
21-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately you can't motivate people who are incapable of motivating themselves.

This lot don't know what it means to feel motivated and up for the challanege.

We need to give Fenlon a chance to bring in players that will understand.

They were motivated against Aberdeen but Hearts were a different proposition. It was up to Fenlon to change the mindset of the Hibs players who looked beat before the game even started.

The Harp Awakes
21-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Well done pat patched a poor team up kept us up and got to the final! I'm proud of what you managed and hope to see your own built team next season! I think we will be in good shape next season come on the hibs! Oh and us the supporters get out there show your colours and show we really are supporters who in the face of defeat will still be counted!

Fenlon said after the game on Saturday that there is an attitude problem at the Club and there has been for a while. He was absolutely right. He said he will get rid of it and I believe he will if we give him time and the Club backs him financially. I was really pleased with his post-match interview on Saturday - how many Managers in that position would have made excuses about the game and blamed the ref? There was no doubt he was raging but he took responsibility for the result and performance. Speaks volumes for the man.

Hibs have been a soft touch since Collins walked. Yogi knew it and couldn't change it and the appointment of CC was a disaster - his motivation skills were zero and there is no doubt in my mind we were heading for relegation to the 1st division under his tenure.

Fenlon had to make short term signings in January to keep us up and has done that. He deserves the opportunity to improve the team next season. Changing Manager now would be a disaster for the Club. SAF would have a job on his hands sorting out this mess.

Hibernian Verse
21-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Had my Hibs top on yesterday, albeit in Aberdeen. One or two smiles on the way to Spar but all in good banter.

SlickShoes
21-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Aye he was backed in January but look at the type of players available in January, it's failures or people coming back from long term injury.

He was sensible to bring in 7 loan players because now we can ship all of them out if we need to, if we had brought in 7 players on 2 year deals we would now be stuck with them.

iwasthere1972
21-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Had my Hibs top on yesterday, albeit in Aberdeen. One or two smiles on the way to Spar but all in good banter.

No class. :greengrin

ALF TUPPER
21-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Fenners did what he was asked to do. We stayed in the SPL. Job Done.

Saturday was a Brucie bonus and while it hursts like hell to lose to that mob, so convinvingly, it will benefit us financially for next season. And for me, its what PF can do with a preseason and full season with whoever he keeps and can bring in.

Glory Glory always

Posh Swanny
21-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I said in January that I hope Fenlon lasts until the summer because it was clear that he didn't want to make any permanent signings in a panic and continue the shambolic recruitment policy of the last few years. He knew the current squad was pish so just took whatever he could on loan to keep us out of the drop zone. Many a manager has panicked, failed and then been left with no room to manoeuvre when the real job starts in the summer. Pat's only real problem is that he managed to take that patchwork rabble to a cup final. Should have got put out by Killie and saved us from all this silliness. ;)

Funds permittng - and that is my only real concern - this summer will see a Hibernian team come together that we can all be proud of once again. It's been long enough.

HFC07
21-05-2012, 01:04 PM
im loving the optimism on this thread guys :thumbsup:

I agree Fenlon has done well to keep a piss poor side in the league and take us to a final.

some rebuilding needed, petrie the very least you can do is give pat the money to make some drastic changes.

:pfgwa

marleyhib
21-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Well said OP, Pat kept us up - January is not the time to be buying players, inflated prices and not much quality available.

He did the only sensible thing he could which was sign loan players. Still think the Motherwell game where the place went on fire when we were winning right after he was appointed was really unlucky, if we'd gone on to win it might have given us a bit of confidence. Instead he had a really bad start and a really difficult run of games. He's been under real pressure from the start.

We have been easily outclassed by the top 6 all season (we didn't get any of them in the cup till the final), Hearts in the final was always going to be tuff.

The atmosphere at Easter Road has been shocking this season, the players always looked nervous - we didn't get behind the team when they needed us most. We've been mince since we built the new east and widened the pitch, whilst Easter Road is great it's half empty and is not intimidating. It's now a real catch 22 situation, we need bigger crowds to create an atmosphere but to get them we need decent football.

Pat badly needs the funds to put a decent team on the park.

Sudds_1
21-05-2012, 01:16 PM

hmm.......... fashion alert I think here mate :wink:

BoltonHibee
21-05-2012, 01:20 PM
hmm.......... fashion alert I think here mate :wink:

Hope he is wearing the shin pads too

big-mo
21-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Our results got worse after Fenlon arrived but don't let that get in the way of blind loyalty. Luckily the pars were so bad that there was no way we could get relegated.

Not taking sides but -

Pre-Fenlon Played 19 w5 l9 d5 win% 26.31
Fenlon played 27 w9 l14 d4 win% 33.33

gbur123ukgb
21-05-2012, 01:40 PM
haha aye fashion alert but you've no seen ma legs ;) whit woooooo
might add ma hat n scarf to the ensemble!

joe breezy
21-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree, Fenlon did enough to keep us up....

As soon as Hearts beat Celtic I stopped looking forward to the final...

I would still have some faith in him even though tactics on Saturday could have been better

Captain Trips
21-05-2012, 02:39 PM
It is all about what his objectives actually where and I doubt it was finish 11th and thats ok. I was looking for more than what he did and he bought garbage McPake aside in January. We avoided a rekegation that he put us in. I know it is difficult in January to get olayers but he put his faith in some that still had us struggling. It seems because PF is 10x more commited than CC he has got away with more. PF after 6 months should have players at least capable of closibg down surely.

SneakersO'Toole
21-05-2012, 02:50 PM
It would be utter madness to sack Fenlon and would only see to us being in the same position in 12months time. The club is crying out for some continuity so that a manager have put his stamp on the club, both on the playing side and overall culture.

Fenlon's post match comments on Saturday were refreshing and offered some, albeit very little, comfort to our situation. He knows that this club has been infected with a malaise that it needs to eradicate ASAP.

The only question mark is whether the board will give him the trust, control and financial backing to do so.

grunt
21-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Liam McLeod ‏@BBCLiamMcLeod #Hibernian (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Hibernian) mamager Pat Fenlon issued with a notice of complaint by the SFA after he was sent from the technical area at Hampden on Saturday

gbur123ukgb
21-05-2012, 03:45 PM
watch fenlon will get hammered worse than lennon for this.

Fergus52
21-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Can't believe how quick people are having a go at him.

He's got the highest win percentage as a jibs manager since Collins ffs.

Captain Trips
21-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Not quick at having a go, firstly I do not for 1 minute accept his job was to just keep us up I will assume as others have that he was asked to get us up as high as he could. In January he then had a fantastic advantage to bring in some fresh faces as after all we have been hearing how crap CCs guys where and it would be great to get rid and bring in new folk.

No these guys were not brought in to have us avoid relegation these guys were brought in to push us up table, Kujabi, Doyle and Claros all signed into next season proving PF was not only trying to secure a good finish but also have some continuity for next season. Unfortunatly he got 3 or 4 of them wrong and 2 of them were the worst culptits on Saturday but are on the books still for next year.

We finished 2nd bottom not just because of CC but becuase PF in January failed to sign enough good players and because he all the way through and up until Sunday seems to struggle to have players do the very basic of things, 2 of which he put faith in for next season too.

I think PF deserves no thanks, if after 6 months he cannot yet still get folk to close players how long does he need to have us winning regularly? He IMO has showed spirit and desire but been found wanting on the pitch, his record deserves no thanks.

Emerald
21-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Not quick at having a go, firstly I do not for 1 minute accept his job was to just keep us up I will assume as others have that he was asked to get us up as high as he could. In January he then had a fantastic advantage to bring in some fresh faces as after all we have been hearing how crap CCs guys where and it would be great to get rid and bring in new folk.

No these guys were not brought in to have us avoid relegation these guys were brought in to push us up table, Kujabi, Doyle and Claros all signed into next season proving PF was not only trying to secure a good finish but also have some continuity for next season. Unfortunatly he got 3 or 4 of them wrong and 2 of them were the worst culptits on Saturday but are on the books still for next year.

We finished 2nd bottom not just because of CC but becuase PF in January failed to sign enough good players and because he all the way through and up until Sunday seems to struggle to have players do the very basic of things, 2 of which he put faith in for next season too.

I think PF deserves no thanks, if after 6 months he cannot yet still get folk to close players how long does he need to have us winning regularly? He IMO has showed spirit and desire but been found wanting on the pitch, his record deserves no thanks.

I agree with all your points. I dont want managers sacked every two minutes but I just cant understand where this blind faith in his ability to turn us around comes from. His team has played the same way since he came. It isnt working, it has never worked and he hasnt done anything to sort it. But, somehow he is a better choice than Strachan, McLeish etc etc. I just dont get it, really I dont. Im not asking for McLeish to come back but how can anyone think PF is a better manager. McLeish managed Hibs, Motherwell, Rangers, Aston Villa, Birmingham and Scotland, played at the highest level and won trophies at the highest level. Somehow though PF is a better manager. All I want to know is what makes people think this, please tell me?

sesoim
21-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Not taking sides but -

Pre-Fenlon Played 19 w5 l9 d5 win% 26.31
Fenlon played 27 w9 l14 d4 win% 33.33

Erm, and if you take the cup games out of the equation, Fenlon's record WAS worse. Lucky for Fenlon that he got Cowdenbeath and Ayr and didn't have to play Celtic like CC.

stantonhibby
21-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Erm, and if you take the cup games out of the equation, Fenlon's record WAS worse. Lucky for Fenlon that he got Cowdenbeath and Ayr and didn't have to play Celtic like CC.

Did I just imagine CC's Hibs failing to beat Ayr either at home or away in the Scottish Cup last season then ?

IWasThere2016
21-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Really??? :confused:

sesoim
21-05-2012, 08:14 PM

I agree with most of your points. Frankly, given that we were 9th when Fenlon took over, and given that he was allowed to sign loads of players in January (while most other teams didn't sign anybody), we really should have been pushing up towards mid-table.

I'm not advocating sacking Fenlon, but I think most managers could have gotten more out of a lot of these players. Whether that is down to his motivational skills or poor tactics, I don't know. But, for me, a worrying example is that he can drop Booth like a stone - a player who could do a good job if played on the left wing (and score a few goals), and instead pick people like Sproule, Stevenson, Galbraith, Wotherspoon and so on for that position, each of whom have contributed next to nothing out there.

Fenlon will be allowed to sign virtually a new team in the summer, so once again we will have to wait and see if it all works out. Given that almost every other teams is cutting back (or going out of existence!) there is no excuse for us not at least finishing top 4 or 5. Neither Fenlon, or anyone else at Hibs, can use the disasters of the last couple of years as an excuse for finishing in the bottom six.

sesoim
21-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Did I just imagine CC's Hibs failing to beat Ayr either at home or away in the Scottish Cup last season then ?

No. CC's record was crap. But he still has a better points average than Fenlon. And this season, you have to agree CC got a much harder draw in the LC (Celtic) than Fenlon got at any stage in the SC?

sesoim
21-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I agree with all your points. I dont want managers sacked every two minutes but I just cant understand where this blind faith in his ability to turn us around comes from. His team has played the same way since he came. It isnt working, it has never worked and he hasnt done anything to sort it. But, somehow he is a better choice than Strachan, McLeish etc etc. I just dont get it, really I dont. Im not asking for McLeish to come back but how can anyone think PF is a better manager. McLeish managed Hibs, Motherwell, Rangers, Aston Villa, Birmingham and Scotland, played at the highest level and won trophies at the highest level. Somehow though PF is a better manager. All I want to know is what makes people think this, please tell me?

McLeish, I am sure, would do a better job. If nothing else, he seemed to get the place going, and he seems to be good at generating a real team spirit. He also attracted Sauzee to Hibs (for a relatively cheap initial wage of £3k a week) - something that Fenlon could never achieve. But he was probably on a huge wage in the EPL, and frankly Hibs would seem like a big come down to him. And he has been lucky at times - he wouldn't have gotten ANY of these jobs if he hadn't been such a famous, successful player.

Strachan has been hit and miss, but he would also be way too expensive. And he was awful at Middlesborough.

TBH, there are managers out there on £1k or £2k a week who could do as good a job at Hibs. Unfortunately Petrie doesn't have a clue how to spot them.

hibsway
21-05-2012, 08:53 PM
has fenlon not already done better than alex mcleish?mcleish got us relegated in his first year in charge

Hibercelona
21-05-2012, 09:05 PM
To everybody saying PF isn't fit for the job....

The players he brought into the club were a complete and utter rush job, a quick patch up to keep us in the league. He hasn't had the opportunity yet to make any radical changes.

He comes across to me as a man that is dead serious about turning this mess around and who will go to great lengths to ensure that things do change for the better.

I seen some dolt commenting on his height, saying that he's too "small" for the job. :confused: We'll I disagree, he seems like the type of guy that will boot your teeth in if you don't give it everything you've got. And I reckon he'll be doing just that behind the scenes as we speak.

I have belief in his ability to turn things around, but I think next season will be more about steadying the ship than anything else. Don't expect a team full of world beaters next season, next season is still going to be extremely tough. We should however expect to see some real bite in the team, something we haven't witnessed in a long time.

Emerald
21-05-2012, 09:12 PM
has fenlon not already done better than alex mcleish?mcleish got us relegated in his first year in charge

Its not even worth arguing with that. Ok, so Fenlon has a much better record in his role as manager of a part time Irish team, I give up. Has he got you all in some sort of trance or something.

hibsway
21-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Its not even worth arguing with that. Ok, so Fenlon has a much better record in his role as manager of a part time Irish team, I give up. Has he got you all in some sort of trance or something.you seem to think mcleish is a better manager but he took us down,took birmingham down,almost took aston villa down all in the first years of his apointments

fatbloke
21-05-2012, 09:40 PM

:top marks:agree:

Fergus52
21-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Really??? :confused:

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

Table there shows it, I know it's Wikipedia but I can't see why someone would make that up.

Makes quite interesting reading actually.

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

Table there shows it, I know it's Wikipedia but I can't see why someone would make that up.

Makes quite interesting reading actually.

Stats Eh !

Bring back our most successful manager ever - Stand up Gareth Evens

Captain Trips
21-05-2012, 11:38 PM

The players he brought into the club were a complete and utter rush job, a quick patch up to keep us in the league. He hasn't had the opportunity yet to make any radical changes.

He comes across to me as a man that is dead serious about turning this mess around and who will go to great lengths to ensure that things do change for the better.

I seen some dolt commenting on his height, saying that he's too "small" for the job. :confused: We'll I disagree, he seems like the type of guy that will boot your teeth in if you don't give it everything you've got. And I reckon he'll be doing just that behind the scenes as we speak.

I have belief in his ability to turn things around, but I think next season will be more about steadying the ship than anything else. Don't expect a team full of world beaters next season, next season is still going to be extremely tough. We should however expect to see some real bite in the team, something we haven't witnessed in a long time.

Sorry but I really disagree with it all, far to much emphasis on how tough it will be for us next season, well it shouldnt be, I do not think it should take another season to sort things out. Your point in bold is fine if you believe that was his goal, IMO bringing in the amount of players he did was to push up table. if a rush job then several of them are on books next season.

PF spirit and what he says mean zero if he cannot deliver. To make that amount of chage in January and still struggle with dunfermline for 3 more months added to some of the basics of the game lacking then I fear we have somebody no better than CC.

silverhibee
21-05-2012, 11:50 PM

So apart from McPake and maybe Griffiths, how does the rest of the team still have there teeth in place.

If Mr Brown leaves Hibs very soon and i hope its this week, i wonder what he will have to say about the Griffiths carry on where Mr Broon was left on his arse that day, and what his thoughts were on his time at Hibs. :cb

Captain Trips
21-05-2012, 11:55 PM
So apart from McPake and maybe Griffiths, how does the rest of the team still have there teeth in place.

If Mr Brown leaves Hibs very soon and i hope its this week, i wonder what he will have to say about the Griffiths carry on where Mr Broon was left on his arse that day, and what his thoughts were on his time at Hibs. :cb

:agree: Who puts PFs teeth in when he doesnt do his job? he should have had that fate weeks ago then if wee hibbie thinks that of his spirit.

Mango Man
22-05-2012, 02:05 AM
I agree, Fenlon did enough to keep us up....

As soon as Hearts beat Celtic I stopped looking forward to the final...

I would still have some faith in him even though tactics on Saturday could have been better

:agree:

Indeed, I really didn't enjoy the run up to the final, just had a feeling of impending doom about it, tried to be positive but deep down I knew what the outcome would be. TBH I couldn't even picture in my head that team winning the cup, especially considering the quality teams we have had in the past that have never won it, the team we have endured this season is one of the worst I can remember in my lifetime following Hibs.

:flag:

Weir7
22-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Agree. Fenlon's tactics never change. Has his midfield sitting way off the game. Even against dunfy that had time and space with better finishing, things could have been different.

He could have done lots of different things in the final. He done nothing.

Hope I'm wrong but I think hez out his depth

Captain Trips
22-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Well said OP, Pat kept us up - January is not the time to be buying players, inflated prices and not much quality available.

He did the only sensible thing he could which was sign loan players. Still think the Motherwell game where the place went on fire when we were winning right after he was appointed was really unlucky, if we'd gone on to win it might have given us a bit of confidence. Instead he had a really bad start and a really difficult run of games. He's been under real pressure from the start.

We have been easily outclassed by the top 6 all season (we didn't get any of them in the cup till the final), Hearts in the final was always going to be tuff.

The atmosphere at Easter Road has been shocking this season, the players always looked nervous - we didn't get behind the team when they needed us most. We've been mince since we built the new east and widened the pitch, whilst Easter Road is great it's half empty and is not intimidating. It's now a real catch 22 situation, we need bigger crowds to create an atmosphere but to get them we need decent football.

Pat badly needs the funds to put a decent team on the park.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111125/new-manager-appointed_2262950_2527235

Pat and Rod seemed to think as I thought it was probably more about trying to move up table, thank him for a relegation he put us in? I don't think so. He did identify the problems at ER but nothing changed. I agree all he could do was sign loans, ones that were utter mince and offer long contracts to disasters like Kujabi. I cannot see from any angle what future we can have with him as manager.

proud_and_green
22-05-2012, 06:02 PM

What i don't get is why he would need to motivate professional players to play in a cup final against their oldest rivals for a cup the club hasn't won in 110 years.

That should have been a sufficient spur for them....!