PDA

View Full Version : What has been your coping strategy since Saturday?

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Mine has been -

1, Avoiding alcohol. Getting hammered would have been obvious but it leaves you feeling ten times more depressed the next day. I haven't had a drink since Friday.

2, Keeping occupied. Avoid the issue by keeping busy. Yes, I'm in denial much of the time.

3, Avoiding Jambos as much as is humanly possible.

Any other good advice we can share?

18Craig75
21-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Avoided Jambos at all costs. Phones been locked in a drawer. Tried to keep busy but I'll be honest, I'm still absolutely gutted and that humiliation is still occupying my mind more than anything else at the moment.

Could you say the same for any of the players? Fitba :rolleyes:

21-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Logging out of Facebook, cant bare going on seeing all the jambos gloating.

hailhail22
21-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Keeping myself busy, was working yesterday which was very helpful and just avoiding newspapers jambos ect

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Keeping myself busy, was working yesterday which was very helpful and just avoiding newspapers jambos ect

Good point about avoiding the papers :aok:

MrSmith
21-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Admitting to myself they were better and we are just sh...

I'm_cabbaged
21-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Going out to face the world today, playing a jambo at golf :( thing that got me through yesterday was thinking about them on the train going through and wanting to grab their bairns and give them a good scrub, dirty bassas. I thank the lord I wasn't born one of them. ;)

keithkeith
21-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, I have spent all morning in a meeting room that is painted with maroon walls.

I've also had folk at work saying "Stop being so miserable, cheer up - it's only a football game, for goodness sake!?"

Avoiding newspapers, at all costs!

Hibbylad86
21-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I was doing well with avoiding everything to do with the Saturday until I pitched up at my work.....I have been getting it stinking from everyone of them! They are all running around giving each other high fives and writing H1B5 on post it notes etc.

This is torture! although some of the things they are saying do make me smirk quickly.

Craig_in_Prague
21-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Don't need one.
Coped very well, stayed to the end of the match on Saturday, seen 'them' lift the cup - Had a great night down Easter Road in 4-in-hand and Hibs club after. Seen family, met some great people, some ex players etc.... and so overall, had a good weekend!
We have suffered a lot as Hibs fans, but you cannot let them ruin your own personal life. I was as desperate as any other fan in Hampden or around the world watching, that we finally could win the SC and do so against them. But it didn't happen and life goes on. Be proud to be a hibee and lose with dignity.

GGTTH

Just_Jimmy
21-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Phone up my few Jambo mates, talked about the game openly as if it was just a normal saturday game. They didnt give me grief at all tbh. One has also said he agrees 100% that the ref ruined any chance Hibs had. I think for that reason they are hanging on giving me pelters.

I actually haven't felt too bad, I'm gutted obviously, but if you'd told me before it we'd get pumped like we did, I would have thought I'd have been suicidal.

spike220
21-05-2012, 11:04 AM
you currently logged in to my coping strategy :hnet:

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2012, 11:13 AM

True, it's a self-help group :greengrin "My name's such and such and I'm a Hibs fan"

It will get easier, though it will always be there.

Twa Cairpets
21-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Had to face it out with about 300 people yesterday at a kids football tourney. No hiding, and acceptance of the result (with the caveat that "goals change games and Thomson is a dirty cheat) helped.

From now on, the day from 3.00pm onwards has been eviscerated from my memory. It simply didnt happen, and despite the fact I was there till the final whistle, I refuse to accept that the game actually happened at all.

Sweep
21-05-2012, 11:18 AM
DENIAL :greengrin

Killiehibbie
21-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Living here is useful at times like this as I don't meet very many of them and can just do my best to forget about it.

Dalkeith
21-05-2012, 11:24 AM
off to work in an hour and they will get no response from me, after thats over i will never think of it again

marleyhib
21-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Telling myself that a cup final against the Jambos with the team we've had this season was a bad idea! and being happy that we didn't get relegated TBH.

Also hoping that it results in a good few ar** kickings down Easter Road way and Pat getting the funds to build his own team with far fewer loan players. Such a shocking result and performance really hi-lighted what we all new, that this team was not good enough to wear the green.

basehibby
21-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Keeping out of the boozer and away from gloating Yams has been a given - have also barely glanced at a newspaper, gone out and played with my daughter (despite the hangover from hell) and tried my hardest not to think about cups, parades or open top buses (:dead::ill::sick:) .

Have also been indulging myself in a vast array of "comfort foods".

Oh aye - that and burning an effigy of Craig Thomson in my back garden - nae hard feelings likes :cb

Hibercelona
21-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I've been locked up in my (maroon free) room and don't think i'll be able to look at anything that remotely resembles it for quite some time.

I don't know if this combination of anger and shame will ever actually pass.

Gatecrasher
21-05-2012, 11:39 AM
What Happened on Saturday like?

biggineurope
21-05-2012, 12:21 PM
im coping, lol yesterday instead of going to ER for a much anticipated party day oot, I demolished my mates shed god I felt better afterwards lol. In a fortnight I can release any other pent up emotion by building his new summerhouse. :greengrin

Mr Petrie you know what's required now.......... DO IT!!!!!

yeezus.
21-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Living here is useful at times like this as I don't meet very many of them and can just do my best to forget about it.

Same with me in Aberdeen, and I go back home to Stranraer next week which is full of Rangers fans so I won't be having to worry about meeting too many yams.

WarringtonHibee
21-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Living in Warrington :greengrin

truehibernian
21-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Coping mechanism ? Every day I wake up, I'm a Hibernian supporter......now that always makes me proud. Regardless of results, pain, joy, apathy or success - I love Hibs. So it's very very easy for me to cope. It's what makes football great, there will ALWAYS be another chance to make amends. The only important game is the next game.

Just be very proud and glad to be a Hibee !

Sodje_18
21-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I haven't went out my way to cope with it, it's football therefore it shouldn't have any significant impact on my life. Most Jambo's I know are actually decent people (yes people, I was shocked we had a similar genetic build up also). I have simply been a good loser and admitted defeat. Everyone finds it difficult to abuse a person humble in defeat, the fact is they will only gloat among their own kind or if it's a sore loser. Best just to ignore them and if the get onto the topic of the game, make no excuses for our absolute stinking performance.

dp00
21-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I shook there hands and congratulated them... after all the best team won :(

it certainly confused them tho HAHA

pentlando
21-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Don't need one.
Coped very well, stayed to the end of the match on Saturday, seen 'them' lift the cup - Had a great night down Easter Road in 4-in-hand and Hibs club after. Seen family, met some great people, some ex players etc.... and so overall, had a good weekend!
We have suffered a lot as Hibs fans, but you cannot let them ruin your own personal life. I was as desperate as any other fan in Hampden or around the world watching, that we finally could win the SC and do so against them. But it didn't happen and life goes on. Be proud to be a hibee and lose with dignity.

GGTTH

:top marks

Stayed and watched the lift the trophy also, and made a special effort to watch their celebrations and store it away in the memory. The pains packaged away waiting to be released when we beat them. I'm looking forward to that big time now! Everyone in football has highs and lows, it's all relative. Without losers there wouldn't be winners. Saturday was our turn to lose. At Hampden it's either your day or it's not your day, one extreme to the other. 9am till 3.15pm was easily the best day of the season and I was determined to make sure the result would never make or break the day. It dented the day, but never ruined it for me :flag:

DH1875
21-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I haven't been out the house since Saturday night and I don't even live in Edinburgh. I don't have a facebook so that's all good.

147lothian
21-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Booze, phone switched of and bed! Even booze isn't a safe option because you will always get one who wants to bring the tenor of the conversation down. By talking about footie. I can't think of anything possitive to say. Its a minefeild out there! i don't want to go over the front door let alone go to work!

SlickShoes
21-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Logging out of Facebook, cant bare going on seeing all the jambos gloating.

I blocked them all on Friday night just in case, I will release the block in a few weeks.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Media blackout yesterday and today. Played golf today.

Got a few Jambo mates and they've actually all been great. Got a couple of texts after the games, as expected, but they know I'm a real fan and they know I'm hurting. I know they have months and years to have a go but for now they've been pretty good winners.

Life goes on.

Eyrie
21-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Constantly reminding myself we'll overturn the deficit in the second leg.

One Day Soon
21-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I stayed the full 90 minutes to make sure the gory awfulness of that sham of a Hibernian side remains with me forever. I'm nursing my anger so that I never become an excuser for sub par Hibs players in the future.

I actually find it quite amusing in a sick way that we were so terrible and Thomson so biased that it robbed them of a meaningful victory. Interestingly I have come across quite a few of them who have said the same thing.

The other thing that has given me a big boost is the determination coming through from the Hibs support that enough is enough and we aren't going to tolerate the slacker culture and lack of leadership and soul in our club any longer. In a very bizarre way we are back to the Wallace Mercer thing here - saturday's performance was so shockingly, abjectly, poor and coming as it did after a few years of the same that I think it may just be the catalyst for serious change at the club.

I'll tell you what too - I think Fenlon will now have the clear authority to do pretty much anything he likes to gut the wasters and anyone who comes in after them and fails to measure up. I don't think this is a guy who settles for second best and now that he's free from the shackles of the relegation fight I think we will see a very different and direct manager where the players are concerned.

lyonhibs
21-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Don't need one.

GGTTH

:agree::agree:

This. I'll admit to being off like a shot at the final whistle, and avoiding the Sunday papers/the centre of town on Sunday like the plague, but apart from that, life has very much gone on as standard. Never let those tramps get you down.

Got to be honest though, distance helps massively. Down here, nae **** gives a flying ****.

GGTTH

One Day Soon
21-05-2012, 07:40 PM

This. I'll admit to being off like a shot at the final whistle, and avoiding the Sunday papers/the centre of town on Sunday like the plague, but apart from that, life has very much gone on as standard. Never let those tramps get you down.

Got to be honest though, distance helps massively. Down here, nae **** gives a flying ****.

GGTTH

When did you move there? I thought you were in France?

lyonhibs
21-05-2012, 07:42 PM
When did you move there? I thought you were in France?

I was when I joined .net. Realistically, I should update/change my username to match my location, but then I'd lose all the "LyonHibs" street cred I've built up over the past 5 years :cb

skipster7
21-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't need one.

GGTTH
good post m8,( apart from watching them lift the cup).All the guys i was with ended up in the 4 in hand but i had to admit defeat long before that or i could have bought you a pint for your Prague tips. onwards and upwards.:agree:

Irish_Steve
21-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Any jambos pals or workers I`ve met, i`ve instantly raised my hand and spread my fingers to give the "5" signal, I then shake their hands and discuss the game - this sort of approach seems to totally dis-arm them!

They were the better team by far, even if it was`nt a penalty, they still would have won in my view. It`s not nice but we have to accept that they are stronger and better than us. I`ve only been following Hibs since 1990 but every time a derby comes round we get the usual "this time we`ll pump them". In all those games, we`ve only ever "pumped" them once and that was the 6 - 2 game

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Coped by taking phone off hook, shutting blinds, closing curtains, having two whole days of sitting about bumping my gums on here....The bad news is I have to go out tomorrow for an appointment......Still raging so any yam better steer clear of me or they will get shrift change out of me..........

IWasThere2016
21-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Living in Warrington :greengrin

Certainly a lot easier for us out of towners. One of the first folk I spoke to on Sunday was a Yam - shook his hand, said well done and then thoroughly thrashed him at the golf :greengrin

He did try some dirty underhand Yam cheating earlier on by asking me if we had got another turkey in Fenlon .. but I was on a mission! He got buried! :cb

1two
21-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I was heartbroken, totally devastated on Saturday.
I had convinced myself that fate would bring us the cup. Im 28 and not ashamed to say i shed a few tears and drowned my sorrows. I've never felt so terrible after a game.

Yesterday I had a few pints with hibs fans, text the few jambo mates I have and congratulated them. All of them were pretty fair saying thanks or didn't even reply, didn't get any smart arsed responses. Still gutted though and feeling sorry for myself/fellow hibees.

Today I woke up and gave myself a bit of a shake. I'm now feeling angry more than anything else. We deserved better than that. Back to work tomorrow hopefully a few more days and it'll just be yet another defeat to them.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Quite a few Yams in my work .... but the truth is that they just havnt taken the peesh at all. And you know what ,, in a way thats worse. I think I would rather have their derision than their bloody sympathy, It really does highlight just how terrible we were.

Apart from that I have started the build up to the next derby in my mind already ..... The truth is I cant wait for next season, because nothing less than a derby win will begin the healing process.

On that note ....... In spite of how much folk are hurting just now WE ARE HIBERNIAN F.C. not the players, not the owner, not the board .... US !!! They like to bump on about " The Hibernian family but the truth is its our family and the folk who play for, run and own the club are renting our spare room .... not part of the household.

Its up to us even more than the board to try and restore this clubs pride !!!

We can start by making damned sure that for the first derby of next season ... be it at the PBS or hopefully Easter Road we fill every seat available to a Hibs supporter.

IMO thats how and when we start the fight back.

GGTTH

Just Alf
21-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I was heartbroken and totally devastated after the game on Saturday.

Like some others, I had convinced myself that fate would bring us the cup it was written in the stars after all... Then I listened to the Yams and us on Sportsound.... Couldn't really pin it down to any one thing but they seemed positive and up for it and we somehow seemed negative. After that I kept getting the jitters.
After the game i felt ****, especially at the way we lost, i felt physically sick so headed home ASAP afterwards (brownie points gained for getting home on same day i had gone oot) on Sunday I headed for England :-)

Now I'm just thinking about what our team is going to look like next season

Rasta_Hibs
21-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm not coping. I'm pretending to in front of jambos

McHibby
21-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Haha :) This is the one and only website I have felt safe looking at. If anything it has helped knowing I am far from the only one. Although I was gutted/angry after the match, I was quite quickly philosophical and was saying to some dude outside the Harp & Castle that PF's job this season was to keep us up. He did that so I'm ok.

But since seeing a disgusting super obese sleezeball, with a Hearts scarf on, smashing a double whopper into his fat face at Waverly Station on Sunday morning, I have descended into a pit of feeling really sorry for myself. Yes, the better team won and yes, it's only a game... But by Christ this feels awful.

Living in England helps, along with my strictly imposed news/web/facebook abstinence. I also had the presence of mind to book a few days off work in case we lost.

So I've been wallowing, staring into space a lot and eating the massive amounts of tablet which I brought back down south with me.

magnificent_seven
21-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Im not really coping with it very well at the moment!

Cut my year long stay in Australia a month short so that I could be back for this final, so now back in Scotland permanently.

Because I am coming back to no job, I am unemployed and all this spare time is making me think about the game over and over! Never felt so let down or disappointed in my life!

Being on here has helped slightly though!

Hermit Crab
21-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Mine has been -

1, Avoiding alcohol. Getting hammered would have been obvious but it leaves you feeling ten times more depressed the next day. I haven't had a drink since Friday.

2, Keeping occupied. Avoid the issue by keeping busy. Yes, I'm in denial much of the time.

My mind is firmly fixed on winning my gf back so I've already forgotten about it. She's more important than the result.

FLHIBS
22-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Mine has been -

For me it was just two things

1. Walking out when the fourth went in, no need to go through the humiliation, just take yourself away from it
2. Like any defeat from them, I whistle a tune when in Jambo company with a smile on my face (I'm older and remember the utter humiliation that 0-7 brought to them and always will until they equal or beat it) but for you younger ones, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTHW0ZwK7U and about 18 seconds in, that's the tune to whistle. They don't know what you are whistling but with a smug smile on your face, they don't need to know but you have the inner comfort.

Works for me !

Dr_Regal
22-05-2012, 12:50 AM
I stayed the full 90 minutes to make sure the gory awfulness of that sham of a Hibernian side remains with me forever. I'm nursing my anger so that I never become an excuser for sub par Hibs players in the future.

I actually find it quite amusing in a sick way that we were so terrible and Thomson so biased that it robbed them of a meaningful victory. Interestingly I have come across quite a few of them who have said the same thing.

The other thing that has given me a big boost is the determination coming through from the Hibs support that enough is enough and we aren't going to tolerate the slacker culture and lack of leadership and soul in our club any longer. In a very bizarre way we are back to the Wallace Mercer thing here - saturday's performance was so shockingly, abjectly, poor and coming as it did after a few years of the same that I think it may just be the catalyst for serious change at the club.

I'll tell you what too - I think Fenlon will now have the clear authority to do pretty much anything he likes to gut the wasters and anyone who comes in after them and fails to measure up. I don't think this is a guy who settles for second best and now that he's free from the shackles of the relegation fight I think we will see a very different and direct manager where the players are concerned.

Great post. Fenlon was not amused and is smart enough to sort this shambles out, I hope.

JOD
22-05-2012, 01:06 AM
A very good thread caus the last 48 hrs have been murder and yet tonight iam slowly very slowly coming out of it.

A) I managed to watch the news for first time.

B) I bought a newspaper EEN.

C) I eventually got the courage to watch Sportscene and hey I still think the penalty decision was a massive event in that game and that ref isa ..............

However I have had a few scherberts again( 3rd night in a row) and you know something I still luv Hibs and we will come back again.

God Bless the Hibees

:flag:

edinburghhibee
22-05-2012, 01:38 AM
I stayed until the final whistle, then went to my local bowling club which was full of them and I took it on the chin thinking that would help to get over it, most of them were great and I told them well done... didn't help in the slightest, I'm gutted. Had to walk to work on Sunday and started at 2pm so had to walk straight through their parade due to me staying at their end of town. The sight of them drinking in the street and partying killed me. Jambo mate I know well saw me across the street and just gave me a nod, think he could see it, he was the last person I wanted to speak to. Not really sure were to go from here, I've renewed my ST but Hibs have got a lot of making up to do between now and then.

lyonhibs
22-05-2012, 06:03 AM
I stayed until the final whistle, then went to my local bowling club which was full of them and I took it on the chin thinking that would help to get over it, most of them were great and I told them well done... didn't help in the slightest, I'm gutted. Had to walk to work on Sunday and started at 2pm so had to walk straight through their parade due to me staying at their end of town. The sight of them drinking in the street and partying killed me. Jambo mate I know well saw me across the street and just gave me a nod, think he could see it, he was the last person I wanted to speak to. Not really sure were to go from here, I've renewed my ST but Hibs have got a lot of making up to do between now and then.

That would have been the absolute pits for me. Avoided anything west of The Royal Mile until I got the train back down south. The very few rags of maroon I did see made me sick to my stomach. Once I was on the train back to the Jambo-free land of Oxford, I was fine, and have been ever since.