PDA

View Full Version : Auxerre vs. Montpellier

nonshinyfinish
20-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Anyone watching this?

Montpellier need a point to win the league. There's been a massive delay because of a protest from Auxerre fans (they're relegated and not too happy with their board) - initially they threw tennis balls and toilet rolls onto the pitch, which according to the commentator was 'at the very extreme end of non-violent protest'. It was tennis balls and some paper FFS. Do commentators get a special course in sanctimony or does it just come naturally to them? TV companies, clubs, FAs etc. just expect fans to turn up and behave how they want them to, and the extent to which fans are ignored nowadays means that the Auxerre fans would never have been heard unless they did something to disrupt the game. But no, the commentator still drones tediously on about how they've let their club down.

The game restarted after the toilet paper had been cleared, but after a while Auxerre fans lit a load of flares, one of which was thrown onto the pitch. Fair enough, that's not on, but it was one flare. The over reaction was astonishing - the game stopped for about twenty minutes, and eventually the police cleared everyone - everyone! - out of the stand where the flare came from.

The contempt for football fans from TV, clubs, police, everyone nowadays is staggering. Something has to change or football is f***ed. Sorry for the rant.

[John Utaka has now given Montpellier the lead, so it looks like they'll get their first ever league title. Mon the Pellier.]

Hiber-nation
20-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Was looking for this on TV but doesn't appear to be on. Been trying to follow it from a French website and getting it translated as I've a bet on Montpellier. Sounds crazy.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2012, 09:22 PM
What channel's it on? :dunno:

Just been through all the sports channels and there's no sign of it.

nonshinyfinish
20-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm watching it on one of those internet channels we're not meant to mention. :wink:

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I know we have the occasional protests when 50-100 fans turn up outside easter road to display their anger.

But imagine what a difference it could make if the 20,000+ fans that were there yesterday turned up outside easter road one day. It would force instant change IMO.

nonshinyfinish
20-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Montpellier are champions.

A city of ~100,000 people, which is more interested in rugby, and a club with an average attendance of 14-15,000. They've beaten the newly oil-enriched PSG, and played some fantastic football in doing so.

Great stuff.

One Day Soon
20-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Would be pretty hilarious if 12,000 season ticket holders threw 12,000 tennis balls onto the pitch at Easter Road as a protest. Particularly if Craig Thomson was in charge of it.

ehf
20-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Well done Montpellier! I have a large branch of family/friends in the Languedoc,mainly rugger types but they really know how to enjoy themselves and get the most out of life.

nonshinyfinish
20-05-2012, 09:39 PM
they really know how to enjoy themselves and get the most out of life.

Went to a wedding in Montpellier last summer and I can only echo that sentiment. :agree:

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Was just checking out some images of Montpellier, What a truly beautiful city it is. :agree:

DAVE1875
20-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Only thing I know about Montpellier is that Remi Gaillard is from there

lucky
20-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Montpelier spent £2m on players this season PSG spent £70m. Shows what can be archived with the right coach and some investment

ehf
20-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Went to a wedding in Montpellier last summer and I can only echo that sentiment. :agree:

Yeah, I've been to several weddings and chhristenings over there and they go on all night. But the Frenchies never get totally blootered!

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I've been to several weddings and chhristenings over there and they go on all night. But the Frenchies never get totally blootered!

Which is probably why they have more fun over there, because they don't ruin their lives by getting smashed all the time. It's probably why they have a far better football team than ours as well.

nonshinyfinish
20-05-2012, 10:39 PM

:agree:

Wedding I was at finished at 6 in the morning, with everyone having been pleasantly pished throughout without ever tipping over into being steaming. There's a lot we could learn from them about drinking.

HibeeBigFly
20-05-2012, 10:47 PM
In a truly horrible weekend that included chelski winning the cl this has gone a small way in restoring my faith in football.

Congratulations Montpellier!!!

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 10:48 PM
In a truly horrible weekend that included chelski winning the cl this has gone a small way in restoring my faith in football.

Congratulations Montpellier!!!

As much as I dislike Chelsea, they deserved to win it and are a perfect example of a team that displayed raw determination to achieve their goal.

lyonhibs
22-05-2012, 06:56 AM

There speaks someone who hasn't lived there for 2 years. Let me assure you, they do. It's just a lot more in-home/private parties rather than in Wetherspoons until 3am. And also, as the alchohol involved is - usually - of a higher quality than some fizzy lager substitute, violence and drinking don't totally go hand in hand.

But I will eat my hat if there weren't some absolutely mortal Montpellier fans after that result.

adhibs
22-05-2012, 06:59 AM
well done to montpellier for stayin focused after the delays to get the win. anyone who never seen it stick a fiver in a bet365 acount and as long as theres moeny in there theres a ton of games you can stream from there site