PDA

View Full Version : Question Is Yesterdays Result A "Ground Zero" Moment For Hibs?

SonOfTortolano
20-05-2012, 06:33 PM
And I ask this question from a "how do we stop this happening again" point of view. It sometimes takes an event like this to change how Hibs may look at what product it is producing for it customers i.e the fanbase...

Onion
20-05-2012, 06:53 PM
And I ask this question from a "how do we stop this happening again" point of view. It sometimes takes an event like this to change how Hibs may look at what product it is producing for it customers i.e the fanbase...

I think it is (and should be) a watershed for Hibs. Under no circumstances should any small club like Hearts be thrashing us in a national cup final - simple as that. 10 matches without a win against same small, mid-table club is completely unacceptable. Without lucking our way into the SC Cup Final, season tickets sales would be a fraction of previous seasons and for good reason. The cup final - for a brief moment - gave us some respite from the trauma we've all had to suffer for the last 2 years and papered over the cracks that are there for all to see. It has been truly shocking.

The Board have an opportunity to sort this out - free from the horror of relegation (just) and with lots of extra £££ in the coffers because of the CF. It is incumbent on them (and Pat Fenlon) to sort this out over the summer. IMHO our Board are a bunch of losers, which has set the culture for our club over the last 5 years. I would be astonished if they found the competence to make anything of this opportunity.

johnbc70
20-05-2012, 06:57 PM
It should be, should be the catalyst for root and branch review. I am in a fairly cynical mood at the moment due to recent events, so my guess is it won't be and next season will be similar to this. I hope we look back in a few years and do see that yesterday was the moment that the club sat up and decided to do something about the way things are going. Attitude and character costs nothing and does not use up any of the managers budget.

SonOfTortolano
20-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I think it is (and should be) a watershed for Hibs. Under no circumstances should any small club like Hearts be thrashing us in a national cup final - simple as that. 10 matches without a win against same small, mid-table club is completely unacceptable. Without lucking our way into the SC Cup Final, season tickets sales would be a fraction of previous seasons and for good reason. The cup final - for a brief moment - gave us some respite from the trauma we've all had to suffer for the last 2 years and papered over the cracks that are there for all to see. It has been truly shocking.

The Board have an opportunity to sort this out - free from the horror of relegation (just) and with lots of extra £££ in the coffers because of the CF. It is incumbent on them (and Pat Fenlon) to sort this out over the summer. IMHO our Board are a bunch of losers, which has set the culture for our club over the last 5 years. I would be astonished if they found the competence to make anything of this opportunity.

Agreed. I just cannot see Petrie changing his system to try and raise the level of quality players at the club. We will get the usual crap about fourth highest payers but how can be so consistent in not competing even the likes of Motherwell, Dundee United etc etc...

And now we are in a more fiscally challenging era this situation will not improve. The only glimmer of hope is that PF can inject some passion into any new and existing players that has been missing for years..

ManBearPig
20-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes I agree like a junkie hitting rockbottom! we now know where we need to be and a whole new way of looking at the club, similar to the mowbray renovation is needed. I think Paddy hinted at that in post match comments. basically said they is a whole attitude problem throughout the club!! I heard story about a cake day at east mains?!! can this be real? Do you think barcelona, chelski **** even wolves have a lacklustre approach to club discipline like hibs do? We need a new hungry squad and I for one believe that Pat with the correct backing of board and fans can do it!

ManBearPig
20-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Attitude and character costs nothing and does not use up any of the managers budget.

:top marks:agree::agree:
I really do believe Paddy seems to be the only member of whole set up thats sorry and wants change.

Spike Mandela
20-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Hearts are a product of spotting good players and then offering them excellent wages that the club can't afford to pay.

Hibs are the product of poor scouting of players, with the odd honourable exception, and offering these players a limited wage that is within what we can afford.

The result yesterday was entirely predictable, if we are honest, although Mr Thomson certainly made sure the score was worse than it should have been.

Just Alf
20-05-2012, 08:05 PM
I really do believe Paddy seems to be the only member of whole set up thats sorry and wants change.

exactly my thought

:aok:

cad
20-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Rest assured mate what ever is done in the close season will be to the benefit of Hibernian Football Club ,as long as its no costing more than we bring in:wink:

muzzhfc
20-05-2012, 10:54 PM
i dont think making it to the cup final is bringing in as much money as we would like.

we had it last season where pretty much an entire squad got emptied, and its pretty much happening again. this time, we have a manager who (most) fans believe in and has a hell of a lot more commitment. its going to be a long few weeks. this is my least favourite as of now. all managers/agents/players are away on holiday (i know, our players have been on holiday the last season or 2 - with one or two exceptions) so i expect it to be mid june before we start signing players

steakbake
21-05-2012, 08:03 AM
It should be a watershed moment. I fear however, that things will continue much as they have been. I am looking to the summer as to the board's intent on changing things. If we see a piecemeal team put together on a shoestring, I'll no be back until we're under new ownership.

HFC 0-7
21-05-2012, 08:15 AM
It should be but to get us out of it we need to spend money, and a decent amount. I hear what people are ssaying that we have the 4th highest wage bill etc, but we are effectively starting out. we have so many players to replace that the normal budget wont help. Our 4th highest budget would help if we were just adding to a core of the squad each season, not completely creating one.

We need to spend a lot of money in the summer, without it we could be in exactly the same position at the end of the season, however, if we dont get to a cup final next season where we can make people buy ST's then we will be struggling even more.

21-05-2012, 08:19 AM
This summer is the time that the board need to show real intent for this club. If they are serious about making this club good again and taking us to the position we should be at then they will give Fenlon a good budget. This is last chance saloon, if they fail to deliever this time then a lot of fans will turn on them IMO and they would be entitled to.

Teams like Hearts and Rangers are going to really struggle this summer, most of their big earning best players will be heading for the door and the large amounts of cash are not there to be able to bring in the quality of player they once did in the past. We need to be taking advantage of this and making sure that we do bring in quality that can compete next season.

Saturdays result was extremely painful but if we want to look at the positives, maybe it has highlighted the major flaws at this football club and has hopefully woken up the board to see just how much drastic change is needed. If we had won, obviously it would have been amazing and I would be sitting here now still in a state of absolute ecstasy! but it would of perhaps papered over some of the cracks and we would be wanting these players signed up of contracts which would be a wrong move IMO as in general they are not good enough and it would prob end up damaging us in the long run.

Dalkeith
21-05-2012, 08:22 AM
It should be a watershed moment. I fear however, that things will continue much as they have been. I am looking to the summer as to the board's intent on changing things. If we see a piecemeal team put together on a shoestring, I'll no be back until we're under new ownership.

thats it for me as well, next few weeks should show us which way we are going
fans have responded time and time again it's time the board stood up and responded

BEEJ
21-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Groundzero moment? No!

I'm sure we'll find yet another low. We always do. It's what we're good at. :wink:

MrSmith
21-05-2012, 08:30 AM
i dont think making it to the cup final is bringing in as much money as we would like.

we had it last season where pretty much an entire squad got emptied, and its pretty much happening again. this time, we have a manager who (most) fans believe in and has a hell of a lot more commitment. its going to be a long few weeks. this is my least favourite as of now. all managers/agents/players are away on holiday (i know, our players have been on holiday the last season or 2 - with one or two exceptions) so i expect it to be mid june before we start signing players

We need to start signing now! I would fully expect PF to have done his homework and RP to have sanctioned the players coming in! We really need a full pre-season with a new team.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2012, 08:31 AM

Fair points.

If Saturday doesn't finally produce a total re-think from top to bottom, nothing will, and the club might as well give up. It simply MUST have long-term consequences whereby a strategy for improvement is formulated and implemented in full. We can't just keep on drifting from one under-achievement to the next.

Sas_The_Hibby
21-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Is Yesterdays Result A "Ground Zero" Moment For Hibs?

Perhaps, but I don't think we should invade Afghanistan (well, not yet, anyway). :greengrin

The_Todd
21-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Only if those at the top, starting with STF, see this as the time to change the objective of the club from simply existing to competing. He rescued us from oblivion, but surely the next stage is growth but that seems to have stalled a long time ago.

GloryGlory
21-05-2012, 09:38 AM

PF has already identified the cultural root of our problems. Summing up, the whole mentality at the club (not just the players) is "winning doesn't matter enough, losing doesn't hurt enough". Hibs surviving as Hibs is the be-all-and-end-all.

IMO, this stems from the top and STF. His well-meaning intervention to save the Hibs "for the community" was fine. He has done good things in his tenure, building an infrastructure that is better than most in Scotland, whilst keeping us in a better financial position than almost all of our competitors.

But I think our problems all stem from the purpose of his taking ownership - no great interest in football as such, just in Hibs as part of the local community. Thus the lack of real will-to-win and desire for real (i.e. football) success. To move forward and compete at the highest levels of our sport again needs our owner and board to have a root-and-branch review of the purpose of Hibernian Football Club. We need to change our culture from "there'll always be a Hibs no matter what" to "there will be a Hibs where only being a success and winning games and trophies matters".