PDA

View Full Version : What will make the fans want to return next season?

dmc1875
20-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I for one will be there. I've renewed and would have done so regardless of final/no final as I've put up with a lot of *****e stuff regarding Hibs over the last 15-20 years but couldn't bring myself to not being there 3pm on a Saturday (or 1pm, 1:15pm, 12pm etc etc :rolleyes:)

However, what can be done to get the fans back? There must be thousands wondering why they should ever go back after watching such an inept display yesterday and a woeful season.

Add to that we don't even have a nucleus of a team for next year, no youngsters seem to be coming through, McPake who has been the only shining light of a dismal season looks set to leave and we have a summer of no football with just sheer gloating from the other side of the city to endure??

For what its worth I dont think McPake is enough. The board and Fenlon need to sit, bang their heads together and realise that after such a shambolic cup final display, from Fenlons tactics to the players on the pitch, the clubs fans need a hell of a lot of re-assurance.

To get that, we need at least three big signings. McPake being one, but another two or three PROVEN players, not journeymen. Players that we know show a bit of ambition from the club.

We don't have a lot of money, but we should have more resources at our disposal then almost all of the other teams. Add to that Rangers are up the creek, Hearts are going to be cutting here there and everywhere, We don't have to do any of that at the same scale .

Now if ever Petrie needs to show the fans that next season isn't going to be the same old same old. Christ remember how excited everyone got when we signed Stokes a couple of seasons ago? That's because we KNEW what he would bring to the team.

Thats the last signing I got excited about and I think the fans need three 'stokes'' to make them stand up and be counted next season.

Will the board and Felon deliver? Here's hoping so :flag:

snooky
20-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Easy peasy.

The first time Craig Thomson refs a match at ER next season I'll be there to shout "Cheat! cheat!" for the full 90 minites.

Feel free to join in.

"cheat! cheat!:lolyam: cheat! cheat!"

dmc1875
20-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Easy peasy.

The first time Craig Thomson refs a match at ER next season I'll be there to shout "Cheat! cheat!" for the full 90 minites.

Feel free to join in.

"cheat! cheat!:lolyam: cheat! cheat!"

I hope he never refs a hibs game again!

Maybe forth official?? :greengrin

One Day Soon
20-05-2012, 05:12 PM
We are now in territory where the club needs to do something totemic. Talk is cheap and frankly no longer believable in any way.

1st step - tangible evidence of taking on board how bad things are by ruthlessly clearing out the wasters and wage thieves.

2nd step - some signings that give us the spine of a team. If we don't sign a recognised quality keeper, centre back and ball winning midfielder then we are just not serious

3rd step - initiating a new disciplinary code at the club. The fags and booze culture has to stop, the George Street social club has to stop and the players have to know that Fenlon is boss, right or wrong.

4th step - No player interviews for any media until we demonstrate that we have started afresh - don't give us your cheap talk, give us results.

5th step - We have a Craig Thomson issue and I expect to see Rod or whever else is appropriate raise that with the SFA. He should not be allowed to ref our games.

6th step - Whatever else we do, we MUST bring in a leadership figure who has played and won at the higher levels of the game and who hates defeat. Someone who the players are scared to be around if they aren't training hard, winning games and bleeding for the jersey and each other. Could be a coach, a trainer, a dressing room assistant or whatever.

7th step - We need a clear statement from Rod or STF on what their plan is to turn the club around. Something which recognises the state we are in and speaks to it directly. Not just warm words but a coherent statement of intent.

Its a pretty straight forward choice really, let the club die through apathy or re-ignite the passion of the club and it's supporters. Failing to act is the same as choosing apathetic death - over to you Rod.

heretoday
20-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Spend some money on some decent players.

This season has been really dreadful, apart from the appointment of Pat Fenlon.

But he needs material to work with.

HibsMax
20-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Good post, ODS. I want the club to be transparent to the extreme meaning they have to recognize that things are not going well and deliver a clear message to the fans about what they plan to do to fix things.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Signing players that actually want to win big games.

It would certainly make a refreshing change.

scoopyboy
20-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Agreed.

I would go a wee bit further and say sign players that we have heard of and know to be good.

I know gems can be unearthed but right now we could do with a boost.

yeezus.
20-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Sign players with a bit of passion. 9 out of 11 men on our team yesterday looked as if they didn't have a care in the world - it was extremely annoying to see the likes of Osbourne be so sloppy in possession.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2012, 05:39 PM
We are now in territory where the club needs to do something totemic. Talk is cheap and frankly no longer believable in any way.

1st step - tangible evidence of taking on board how bad things are by ruthlessly clearing out the wasters and wage thieves.

2nd step - some signings that give us the spine of a team. If we don't sign a recognised quality keeper, centre back and ball winning midfielder then we are just not serious

3rd step - initiating a new disciplinary code at the club. The fags and booze culture has to stop, the George Street social club has to stop and the players have to know that Fenlon is boss, right or wrong.

4th step - No player interviews for any media until we demonstrate that we have started afresh - don't give us your cheap talk, give us results.

5th step - We have a Craig Thomson issue and I expect to see Rod or whever else is appropriate raise that with the SFA. He should not be allowed to ref our games.

6th step - Whatever else we do, we MUST bring in a leadership figure who has played and won at the higher levels of the game and who hates defeat. Someone who the players are scared to be around if they aren't training hard, winning games and bleeding for the jersey and each other. Could be a coach, a trainer, a dressing room assistant or whatever.

7th step - We need a clear statement from Rod or STF on what their plan is to turn the club around. Something which recognises the state we are in and speaks to it directly. Not just warm words but a coherent statement of intent.

Its a pretty straight forward choice really, let the club die through apathy or re-ignite the passion of the club and it's supporters. Failing to act is the same as choosing apathetic death - over to you Rod.

:agree::agree:

I want to see the name Hibernian FC mean something again, something to be proud of, something that other teams fear, not something that means another easy 3 points

Fergus52
20-05-2012, 05:39 PM

this exactly!

Devine
20-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Agreed.

I would go a wee bit further and say sign players that we have heard of and know to be good.

Exactly right. Players we all KNOW are good and will push for European places. If we dont do this in the summer the few thousand left should make Mr Petrie know in no uncertain terms that his time is up and his tenure will forever be remembered as the great opportunity missed to progress and instead we were beaten, humiliated and embarassed by our greatest rivals time after time after time

DaveF
20-05-2012, 05:44 PM
All good points ODS, but I suspect we'll get the usual wind and pish from the board.

DH1875
20-05-2012, 06:08 PM
The 10k season tickets we've sold for next season means that theoretically the club don't need to do anything.

I hope he never refs a hibs game again!

Maybe forth official?? :greengrin

Should be no-where near one of our games ever again. We should go all Rangers like and threaten to boycott if he is :greengrin.

Onceinawhile
20-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Start winning, regardless of how pissed off everyone is now, if we start winning next season people will come back. Just hope it happens. I also hope the first derby is away, or I can see it being a very very low turnout

Disc O'Dave
20-05-2012, 06:12 PM
The 10k season tickets we've sold for next season means that theoretically the club don't need to do anything.

Should be no-where near one of our games ever again. We should go all Rangers like and threaten to boycott if he is :greengrin.

Trouble is, if he magically stops getting Hibs games, that's as good as the SFA admitting there is an issue....and we know how often they like to do that........

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 06:28 PM

:agree: Sounds like a plan.

I'd sign up to that agenda if it was delivered.

madabouthibs
20-05-2012, 08:23 PM
All we have to do is start winning, its as simple as that. :agree:
We've flirted with relegation this season and got away with it, it won't get any worse.

Regardless, I and my son, (Non ST holders) will no doubt make our 10 or so games again next season, like we have done for the past 5 or 6 years, and maybe a couple of away days again.

Glory glory and all that....... :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm finding it progressively tougher as time goes by to have an affinity with much at ER these days, except fellow fans.

Friday night down Easter Road was a great night amongst like minded people, as was yesterday from 0800 - 1500 and then the game started!

Crab apple
20-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Great post ODS. Regarding point 5 the club should raise this. I will be emailing them. Thomson clearly has some sort of agenda against us.

Onion
20-05-2012, 08:34 PM

Also need to run a psychotherapy test on every Hibs player and prospective player. Any sign of mental weakness, ship them out or tell them to do one - not good enough for the Hibs.

Notice that there are over 2400 "guests" on the forum just now - lurking Yams (no got debts to go service ?).

Togs91
20-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Never been a season tiket holder, being a westie and working away etc. this season coming up is my first chance to go to as many games as possible, and i will be purchasing a ST. We all want to see a massive change in te club from boardroom down, and fast! And i completely agree with that, but whilst the club is in this state i beleive whoever the players are, whoever fenlon can amass to put out next season, need a huge lift from what was proven at 3pm on saturday is an amazing support!

ALF TUPPER
21-05-2012, 07:07 AM
10k season tickets? Wondered how many we had sold. Not a bad start for PF's budget. ( whats that ....? £3M - £3.5M) I'm sure he'll spend wisely. Add to that salaries saved once he bins a few wage thieves , plus whatever ££ else the tache &Co throw into the tin.

Surely we can start rebuilding on that.

bingo70
21-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Show they mean business by signing players early in this window for a start. If we do the usual and piss about signing trialists in the last week of the window that'll really piss me off even more.

We should have had targets identified for the last few months so let's just get them signed abs get a proper preperation for next season.

HFC 0-7
21-05-2012, 08:10 AM
No, or very little loan signings. its too easy for these guys to shy away when the going gets tough as they know they can just go back to their own clubs and forget about it. We need to be seen as trying to build a core of a team that will let us build around, that means buying or signing players that we know and are proven at this level - and on a decent length of contract. Short term signings and loans are OK if you are just bolstering the squad are make a small addition. Hibs have no core and nothing to build around.

I think a public statement from Petrie and Fenlon about what is expected for the next season and how they are going to do it. I would also like a statement from them about how they are going to change the culture at ER, this drinking stuff has got to stop.

SlickShoes
21-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Like people have already said we need to bring in a solid core of a team, players that give 100%, are passionate about there chosen profession and that don't go out on the lash 5 nights a week or have a coke problem.

We need that core to then build from over the next 2 or 3 years, we need to now not sell our best players should any actually come through the ranks.

Above all I think we need to take some risks, I know it is not good for the balance sheet and im not saying go hearts daft but we need to take some risks and hope that they pay off to get us back in a regular top 6 position and winning our home games.

If we go next season with the same home record then the season ticket sales will drop off a cliff for the 13/14 season.

We need changes at the top of the club too but well we know thats not going to happen so whats the point?

LeithBoozy
21-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Get Rachel from countdown, to walk around the pitch topless carrying the happy-hibby half-time draw board It wont be cheep, but it will be nice to have our first full house. :greengrin

pentlando
21-05-2012, 09:29 AM
What will make fans want to return next season?

Maybe their support for Hibernian F.C.? Saturdays result was a desperately bad one, but we and other supporters have to experience days like that. When we beat Kilmarnock 5-1 in 2007 I never really stopped to think what it must've felt like for their fans, but now I know. If you follow Hibs through the thin then you'll relish the thick much more. If fans can't come due to time/financial constraints then no problem, but otherwise their support for Hibs should make the answer to the OP's question pretty easy really.

21-05-2012, 10:19 AM
A brand new team, who want to play for the jersey. A team that show some pride and show respect for the club. Also players that show fight and determination.

Next seasons derbies will be very very difficult for us fans, hearts will be lording it up and giving us pelters (which in all fairness we would be doing if it had been the other way around on saturday) so we need more than ever to beat them, no shut them up but most importantly to restore some pride!

18Craig75
21-05-2012, 10:30 AM
A determined, skilful & passionate team that plays fast flowing, attractive football - but which also has a strong will to win, and a will to avoid defeat at all cost.

A board that shares the ambition of the fans, and one which isn't completely detached from us.

A squad that is fit and healthy, that represents the club admirably rather than drag the name through the dirt.

Players that young fans can look up to and idolise.

A board that sticks up for the club and fights back after blatantly terrible decisions.

A clear outline of where we are as a club, how we got here, who is responsible for bringing us here, who is taking the bullet for us ending up here and where are we now going as a club.

And thats for starters.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Put a team on the park which genuinely competes in games.

Put a team on the park which looks like it knows what it's trying to do.

Put a team on the park which justifies its 4th/5th biggest status.

Oh, and win some games in style.

Hibs7
21-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Signing McPake and Griffiths would be a good start.

truehibernian
21-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Freeing up the wages of Murray, Stack, Wotherspoon, Scott, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, GOC and Claros and getting in 5 marquee, proven SPL players.....selling Hibernian 2012 as a major challenger in all 3 competitions next season.

If that involves a transfer fee, so be it. Hayes, Tansey/Lasley, McGowan, Shiels and Sutton would be a great start. Re-signing Leigh and JM too. And get those bloody full back areas sorted.

Bobo
21-05-2012, 10:49 AM

100% bang on the money, having the right attitude is everything, our players have no bottle and the poorest attitude I've ever seen!

With the exception of McPake, who was geeing up the crowd, I took this photo before kick off and the body language of our imposters says it all. Their heads are down and it looks like they've already conceded defeat before a ball was even kicked!

TheEastTerrace
21-05-2012, 10:59 AM
100% bang on the money, having the right attitude is everything, our players have no bottle and the poorest attitude I've ever seen!

With the exception of McPake, who was geeing up the crowd, I took this photo before kick off and the body language of our imposters says it all. Their heads are down and it looks like they've already conceded defeat before a ball was even kicked!

Jings, that photo says it all.

Phil MaGlass
21-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Sign McPake and Griffiths, if we dont we can already say goodbye to the SPL and hundreds more fans before it even starts.

Sammy7nil
21-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Agreed.

Like Latapy, Larasson, Matty Jack, Lehman, Zitelli all household names prior to coming to Hibs :cb

Just sign players who can win and above all else who want to win !

basehibby
21-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Show they mean business by signing players early in this window for a start. If we do the usual and piss about signing trialists in the last week of the window that'll really piss me off even more.

We should have had targets identified for the last few months so let's just get them signed abs get a proper preperation for next season.

:agree: Absolutely - we want to see a team worthy of the name lining up for the FIRST fixture of the season that actually know each others names having had a pre-season together.

I know that not all business is going to be concluded until the end of the window, but Hibs' conduct in windows over recent years has been akin to some old miser scrapping about in the 50% off basket hoping to get a "bargain" of some pair of shoes with two left feet or other soiled goods that noone else wants. What a surprise that we don't end up getting what we need or that we sometimes end up with "faulty goods".

basehibby
21-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Weird! They already look like they're a goal down :confused:

JHFC
21-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Im getting a season ticket with a few mates regardless of who we sign. I have never been a season ticket holder but this is the time the club needs us most.

Now is the time to put the last few seasons behind us and wipe the slate clean. This is our chance to rebuild the squad from scratch and cheer the new players on with a fantastic croud next season.

I know the defeat on Saturday was heart breaking and even more so to the older generations! I seen a man who I have known for years cry which wasn't nice.

I am glad my Hibernian journey is only starting out because I believe and know things can only get better!

One Day Soon
21-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Im getting a season ticket with a few mates regardless of who we sign. I have never been a season ticket holder but this is the time the club needs us most.

Now is the time to put the last few seasons behind us and wipe the slate clean. This is our chance to rebuild the squad from scratch and cheer the new players on with a fantastic croud next season.

I know the defeat on Saturday was heart breaking and even more so to the older generations! I seen a man who I have known for years cry which wasn't nice.

I am glad my Hibernian journey is only starting out because I believe and know things can only get better!

You're a frikin star. Well done mate. :top marks