PDA

View Full Version : 4 Cup Finals

Billy Whizz
20-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Thats us been in 4 Scottish/League Cup Finals in 11 years, and failed to turn up in 3 of them

down-the-slope
20-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Thats us been in 4 Scottish/League Cup Finals in 11 years, and failed to turn up in 3 of them

I only failed to turn up in 1 of those.....:greengrin (was in Madrid)

PS...Just realising that was the one we walked it :hmmm:

pentlando
20-05-2012, 02:33 PM
To say we didn't turn up in 2001 is a bit harsh, that was probably the best Celtic side in recent memory.

Beefster
20-05-2012, 03:03 PM
To say we didn't turn up in 2001 is a bit harsh, that was probably the best Celtic side in recent memory.

No specifically directed at you but this type of excuse is part of the reason that apathy and mediocrity is rife at the club. We're far too accepting of defeats. We may be beaten by better teams but we should always go down fighting. We didn't do that yesterday and, IIRC, we didn't do that in 2001.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 03:06 PM
No specifically directed at you but this type of excuse is part of the reason that apathy and mediocrity is rife at the club. We're far too accepting of defeats. We may be beaten by better teams but we should always go down fighting. We didn't do that yesterday and, IIRC, we didn't do that in 2001.

Right on the money there Beefster.

It doesn't matter how strong our opponents are, the team should turn up and play out of their skins regardless.

HibsMax
20-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Not speaking specifically about Hibs but if any team feels like they can't win the final, they should just walk away and give some other team a shot at it.

Alfred E Newman
20-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I was not at the 1958 final but have been at the rest in 72, three games in 79 ,01 and yesterday and have had the pleasure of watching Hibs lose 17 goals . Add losing League cup finals and that is another 19 goals.
None of these other humpings compares with the shame of yesterdays debacle.

fatbloke
20-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Yesterday may turn out to be the biggest boon to jambo recruitment than any other thing they ever thought possible:rolleyes:

Mary Hinge
20-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I was not at the 1958 final but have been at the rest in 72, three games in 79 ,01 and yesterday and have had the pleasure of watching Hibs lose 17 goals . Add losing League cup finals and that is another 19 goals.

Ditto :agree:

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Not speaking specifically about Hibs but if any team feels like they can't win the final, they should just walk away and give some other team a shot at it.

:agree:

A forfeit before the game would have been less embarassing than the forfeit witnessed on the pitch in front of 20,000+ fans yesterday.

Spike Mandela
20-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Somebody told me yesterday that it's now 10 Scottish cup finals we have lost. Outside the OF nobody else must come close to that.

Koom
20-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Somebody told me yesterday that it's now 10 Scottish cup finals we have lost. Outside the OF nobody else must come close to that.....i thought it was 12, but only 9..........

vanNISHtelroy
20-05-2012, 04:37 PM

And we failed to turn up in the other one....:rolleyes:

N.Wales Hibby
20-05-2012, 05:34 PM

I like you had the privilege of watching Turnbull's Tornadoes and I feel sorry for the younger fans who have never really seen a great Hibs team. Yesterdays game was beyond belief.

TornadoHibby
20-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Everyone can have an 'off day' BUT no player who was on the Hampden pitch in a Hibs strip yesterday should have had any energy left after the game to go 'up town' on a bender IMO!

Commitment, will to win, belief in themselves and their team mates, physical commitment to the team and it's target of winning such a match must ensure post match physical exhaustion or they need shipped out and replaced by others prepared to give that effort and commitment unequivocally to Hibs!

TornadoHibby
20-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I like you had the privilege of watching Turnbull's Tornadoes and I feel sorry for the younger fans who have never really seen a great Hibs team. Yesterdays game was beyond belief.

Me too and I reminded myself of some of the detail of that on Friday night over a couple of large glasses of Merlot by watching the Tornadoes DVD!

Wish now I hadn't as it only showed up how poor the current group of players actually are in retrospect!

However, I was at the 1972 SC Final when Celtic beat the Tornadoes 6-1 and that was hard to take! Those guys, with Ned's advice and guidance, rolled their sleeves up and did something about it winning the League Cup against Celtic later that same year!

My Dad took me, my brothers & my (Hearts supporting mate) in 1972 and I took my Dad, now 89, yesterday along with my brothers and sons and daughters and friends!

Dad was distraught at the lack of fight and evident skill yesterday in what might be his last trip to a Hibs Cup Final! I really hope it isn't but current state of play at the Club suggests that it might be!!!