PDA

View Full Version : Six steps to redemption

bigwheel
20-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Where do we go from here? There is no quick cure, and a long summer ahead...

Here are my six steps to redemption? Whats yours??

1. Say sorry and mean it
I'd like Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon to sit in front of TV Cameras tomorrow and tell us they deeply realise that they have let us down. I would like them to say "enough is enough", and promise us they realise they have to change their approach to stop us being a soft touch. Some players might be good too, but as many not be here next year, not sure that would help much.

2. Give us some hope through action
Sign McPake and Griffiths, and do it fast. Give us something to be pleased about

3. Make the big decisions now
If Billy Brown is going to work with Jeffries, let him go. If Fenlon has made up his mind he doesn't want a sproule, Ohanlon etc - let them go...if he has a few key signings he wants to add, let's go and get them. Late August loans deals is not what we need. We could have lost 3+ league games by then. Sign them in the next two weeks and set a standard for new player

4. Be a great club not just a football team
Everything should be geared around Hibernian FC being the heart of our community. Reach out , listen and engage. Help kids learn football and provided support to those less privileged than others. Get the team to play their part. Start living the ethos of the club that originally started our traditions

5. Let's make Easter Road a hard place to get a point in..
Let's focus on making ER a place we normally win. It's been a happy hunting ground for almost every team lately. It used to be a fixture that most teams including the old firm worried about - lets give us fans hope that we are a winning team again.

6. Start beating Hearts
They have outfought and outplayed us lately, no better example than yesterday. They will be going through change too...no longer will they be funding players they can't afford, so no reason for us not to compete better. Let's start getting three points against them with a bit more regularity. Give us some pride back

There is no quick fix, but steady steps can give us a sense of hope and progress...

grunt
20-05-2012, 10:11 AM
That's 7 steps.

Kaiser1962
20-05-2012, 10:13 AM
That's 7 steps.

You have spotted the flaw in the plan.

Dalkeith
20-05-2012, 10:18 AM
You have spotted the flaw in the plan.

there is another flaw in the plan and thats MONEY

bigwheel
20-05-2012, 10:35 AM
there is another flaw in the plan and thats MONEY

Yes, there would be some investment required to sign McPake and Griffiths. But we have made £1M + from our cup run, and sold likely 3000 more season tickets than was going to happen...other than that we will have a budget to compete with anyone outside the old firm, as Hearts are likely to cut their budget significantly for next year...I don't believe this is about lots of more money...

Eyrie
20-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't believe this is about lots of more money...
Correct - it's about using that money wisely. And if that means paying McPake a bit more than the wage structure calls for, then some flexibility is required. He will set the tone in the dressing room and help Fenlon to change the culture at the club.

dp00
20-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Sign McPake and Griffiths, and do it fast. Give us something to be pleased about

I would get rid of Griffiths, if we want to change the culture at the club then he is not the type of player we need at the moment. Yes he is a good player on the feild but off the field he is a PR disaster waiting to happen for hibs.

ChilliEater
20-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Where do we go from here? There is no quick cure, and a long summer ahead...

Here are my six steps to redemption? Whats yours??

1. Say sorry and mean it
I'd like Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon to sit in front of TV Cameras tomorrow and tell us they deeply realise that they have let us down. I would like them to say "enough is enough", and promise us they realise they have to change their approach to stop us being a soft touch. Some players might be good too, but as many not be here next year, not sure that would help much.

3. Make the big decisions now
If Billy Brown is going to work with Jeffries, let him go. If Fenlon has made up his mind he doesn't want a sproule, Ohanlon etc - let them go...if he has a few key signings he wants to add, let's go and get them. Late August loans deals is not what we need. We could have lost 3+ league games by then. Sign them in the next two weeks and set a standard for new player

4. Be a great club not just a football team
Everything should be geared around Hibernian FC being the heart of our community. Reach out , listen and engage. Help kids learn football and provided support to those less privileged than others. Get the team to play their part. Start living the ethos of the club that originally started our traditions

5. Let's make Easter Road a hard place to get a point in..
Let's focus on making ER a place we normally win. It's been a happy hunting ground for almost every team lately. It used to be a fixture that most teams including the old firm worried about - lets give us fans hope that we are a winning team again.

6. Start beating Hearts
They have outfought and outplayed us lately, no better example than yesterday. They will be going through change too...no longer will they be funding players they can't afford, so no reason for us not to compete better. Let's start getting three points against them with a bit more regularity. Give us some pride back

There is no quick fix, but steady steps can give us a sense of hope and progress...

I've thought the one in bold is something we should have been doing for years. Get out into schools, community centres, local clubs, and actually be a part of the community. Get people thinking that this is their club, that they are going to follow no matter what. I don't see why it should cost a significant sum of money either.