PDA

View Full Version : Black challenge on Griffiths

justlikebrazil
20-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Was at the game yesterday and got home but coudnt bare to watch the highlights of the game!! Was the Black challenge that bad and did he deserve a red card or was it just us clutching at straws? GGTTH :flag:

Hibs7
20-05-2012, 09:26 AM
On the street it would be classed as assault.

hibbysam
20-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Sparky won the header, black led with his elbow and completely pole-axed him.. At the very least a yellow and a severe warning that it was his first and last foul before heading to the baths.. But a red wouldn't have been able to be argued with.

Booked4Being-Ugly
20-05-2012, 09:37 AM
In a normal game with a competent ref that would have been a red card, however.....

SquashedFrogg
20-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Looked at the very least a booking from where I was sitting.

Agreed that he's a wee thug but I'm still astonished that there's still Hibs fans who would not take him in their team. Strolled the game yesterday.

Likewise Barr. He was deemed not good enough for us when he eventually joined them.

Also, I hope Claros was injured when he was subbed as Ivan never touched the ball for the entire second half. Poor substitution IMO

Allant1981
20-05-2012, 09:45 AM
We watched it when we got back and he knew exactly what he was doing

truehibernian
20-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Agreed that he's a wee thug but I'm still astonished that there's still Hibs fans who would not take him in their team. Strolled the game yesterday.

Likewise Barr. He was deemed not good enough for us when he eventually joined them.

Also, I hope Claros was injured when he was subbed as Ivan never touched the ball for the entire second half. Poor substitution IMO

Claros was as mobile as a subbuteo man yesterday. Likewise Tom Soares. Whole midfield played like they'd been drugged.....I'd be asking for urine samples myself :-)

hibbysam
20-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Did any of our players touch it? Ivan as soon as he came on got
In there faces, but ultimately the penalty ended the game as a contest and they pinged the ball about there back 4 for 40 minutes

Holmesdale Hibs
20-05-2012, 09:50 AM
I thought it was a borderline red. The fact he wasn't even booked just goes to show the utter incompetence of the referee. It probably wasn't as bad as when Murrey took him out with an elbow at PBS.

He ran the show after that so if it was a red it may have made a difference. That, and the penalty were baffling decisions but we were so rank that I don't feel cheated.

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 09:50 AM
We watched it when we got back and he knew exactly what he was doing

Black did what any good hard working midfielder would do. He laid down a marker to every other player saying come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. I'd love to a player of his ilk in our midfield.

Why did Claros , soares , Stevenson or osbourne not do the same. black peed all over them for the 4th derby in a row. Blacks good but let's not kid he is no Graeme souness.

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Was at the game yesterday and got home but coudnt bare to watch the highlights of the game!! Was the Black challenge that bad and did he deserve a red card or was it just us clutching at straws? GGTTH :flag:
If Black had done that while playing for Hibs yesterday he would have been yellow carded without hesitation.

He would then have been walking a tightrope for the remainder of the game.

20-05-2012, 10:01 AM
If Black had done that while playing for Hibs yesterday he would have been yellow carded without hesitation.

Without a shadow of a doubt! Same with the penalty incident, had that been the other way about there is absolutly no danger that that clown Thompson would have given us it and our player would have been booked for diving!

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt! Same with the penalty incident, had that been the other way about there is absolutly no danger that that clown Thompson would have given us it and our player would have been booked for diving!
:agree: My one moment of rye amusement last night was reflecting on the outcome of just that very scenario.

Imagine Grainger with a tug on Griffiths jersey outside their area and then as he continues he dives inside the box. Stick-on yellow for Griffiths for simulation.

If it was to the detriment of anyone other than Hibs it would be quite comical.

Hibernia Na Eir
20-05-2012, 10:34 AM
i'll never know because i'll never watch the highlights or any footage of that game ever.

franco
20-05-2012, 10:35 AM

with that clown as a ref if he played for us he would have been sent off

Aldoo
20-05-2012, 10:51 AM
In a normal game with a competent ref that would have been a red card, however.....

What I don't think has been mentioned (granted I only saw it live at the game as I'm not watching highlights so it may not be 100 correct) if you watch the ref before he speaks to Black he looks over at Griffiths, at this point Griffiths is on his feet and ready to go, if Lee was a bit more wise he should have stayed down not moving (or one of our players should have rushed over and told him to stay still) I think then you would have seen at least a yellow for Black, look at Santana 5 mins later after the Kujabi challenge, he stayed down and a yellow was produced, seconds later he is running riot against a player on a yellow and then this leads onto what happened at the start of the 2nd half.

It just illustrates another difference between the two teams.

I am not not saying it's the right way to do things but 'do unto the man as he would do unto you'

TornadoHibby
20-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Sparky won the header, black led with his elbow and completely pole-axed him.. At the very least a yellow and a severe warning that it was his first and last foul before heading to the baths.. But a red wouldn't have been able to be argued with.

These are accurate accounts of the incident which I have somehow managed to watch again on the V+ recording of the match which I set before leaving for Hampden yesterday! :agree:

Black should have been sent off for that assault and the game would have changed quite a bit I imagine! On top of that add the penalty that never was and there are two match changing decisions that were balatantly obvious to everyone who has seen them on TV and should have been even clearer to the officials who were in great positions on each to make the correct decision as opposed to the completely wrong decisions that were acctually made! :rolleyes:

The guys I was at the match with had discussed the referee's likely performance before we reached the ground and sadly he matched our expectations 100% :rolleyes:

However, like Mikey, our lot never looked like they were even remotely interested in winning the Cup Final which is the second time now that has happened against the Jumbos at Hampden in the last six years so we got what our lack of belief, effort, determination and will to win deserved. :wink:

I thought it was a borderline red. The fact he wasn't even booked just goes to show the utter incompetence of the referee. It probably wasn't as bad as when Murrey took him out with an elbow at PBS.

He ran the show after that so if it was a red it may have made a difference. That, and the penalty were baffling decisions but we were so rank that I don't feel cheated.

VickMackie
20-05-2012, 11:09 AM

If we signed him we'd have to leave him out of every derby game.

killie-hibby
20-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Claros was as mobile as a subbuteo man yesterday. Likewise Tom Soares. Whole midfield played like they'd been drugged.....I'd be asking for urine samples myself :-)

The atmosphere and enthusiasm coming from the Hibs supporters yesteday should have had any players adrenaline pumping at high levels. Your suggestion for urine samples seems valid and should be taken very seriously. Do Hibs medical staff take blood or urine samples routinely before and after matches. The word lethargic describes the teams performance. The team (including McPake) presented as physically slow and mentally indecisive. To me this suggests one or more of - indifference,stimulant/sedative drug,alcohol abuse,incubating virus,significant reduction of white blood cells,inbalance with dietary intake or a tampering of fluid and food by persons unknown. I would rule out indifference.
I believe a comparison of samples taken before,during the Dublin trip and yesterday morning would reveal the causative factor. Jokingly,last week on another thread I suggested that infecting the Hearts team with a virus or food poisoning would be more effective than physical injury during the Celtic game.
Dont laugh or think I am mad looking for a conspiracy theory. Yesterday millions of pounds were at stake as the winner enters the last qualifying round in the UEFA cup.

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Black did what any good hard working midfielder would do. He laid down a marker to every other player saying come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. I'd love to a player of his ilk in our midfield.

Why did Claros , soares , Stevenson or osbourne not do the same. black peed all over them for the 4th derby in a row. Blacks good but let's not kid he is no Graeme souness.

You sure have come out the woodwork with a flurry of posts in the last day or so.

Not even sly IMO.

Cropley10
20-05-2012, 11:59 AM
What I don't think has been mentioned (granted I only saw it live at the game as I'm not watching highlights so it may not be 100 correct) if you watch the ref before he speaks to Black he looks over at Griffiths, at this point Griffiths is on his feet and ready to go, if Lee was a bit more wise he should have stayed down not moving (or one of our players should have rushed over and told him to stay still) I think then you would have seen at least a yellow for Black, look at Santana 5 mins later after the Kujabi challenge, he stayed down and a yellow was produced, seconds later he is running riot against a player on a yellow and then this leads onto what happened at the start of the 2nd half.

It just illustrates another difference between the two teams.

I am not not saying it's the right way to do things but 'do unto the man as he would do unto you'

Thought exactly the same thing.

Thompson's decisions at crucial times favoured Hearts every time.

Anyone know what McPake was about at the end?

HKhibby
20-05-2012, 12:06 PM

It was never a Red Card, and yes Hibs were Terrible! no taking that away!, but the rubbish Hibs side made a mediocre Hearts side look good!...They are nothing to write about!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Agree that the wee fud is savvy.

He knew that Thompson would keep his cards in his pocket for the first few challenges otherwise he'd be making a rod for his own back.

James70
20-05-2012, 12:32 PM
That referee was not incompetent. If that had been the case he would have given controversial decisions against Hearts too. No, whether or not he is a closet Jambo or not I don't know but what I do know is that he has it in for us every time he takes one of our games. What we have done to upset him I have no idea but if Griffiths had gone down in the box like Santana did he would have booked him.

The decision not to book Black but then book Kujabi set the rules for the game as Hearts knew they would get away with almost anything but Hibs players were frightened to tackle too hard in case they also were booked.

Can you imagine Neil Lennon's reaction if those incidents had happened with Celtic but hey ho, we are Hibs and will accept anything with barely a whimper from our club officials.

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 02:27 PM
You sure have come out the woodwork with a flurry of posts in the last day or so.

Not even sly IMO.

I'm a tad upset about yesterday. Sorry but thought forums where about voicing opinions? Or are you a bit thick?

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm a tad upset about yesterday. Sorry but thought forums where about voicing opinions? Or are you a bit thick?

Just think it's a bit dodgy someone who's been on the forum for 5 year decides yesterday to post a lot, then sticks up for a Hearts player for essentially assaulting a Hibs player.

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Just think it's a bit dodgy someone who's been on the forum for 5 year decides yesterday to post a lot, then sticks up for a Hearts player for essentially assaulting a Hibs player.

I'm sorry. Should I ask your permission before I post further?

And when did I stick up for black? I'd take him before any the dross in our midfield. Which of our players yesterday was better than black.

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry. Should I ask your permission before I post further?

And when did I stick up for black? I'd take him before any the dross in our midfield. Which of our players yesterday was better than black.

I'm no stopping you from posting. Post all you want.

Well you pretty much condonded him elbowing Sparky in the face, did you not?

You asked why Claros, Osbourne, Stevenson or Soares never did the same. The obvious answer to that is, because they would have been sent off for it.

Blacks a legend in his own mind. Once he buggers off down to some lower division championship side, he'll be an absolute nobody.

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm no stopping you from posting. Post all you want.

Well you pretty much condonded him elbowing Sparky in the face, did you not?

You asked why Claros, Osbourne, Stevenson or Soares never did the same. The obvious answer to that is, because they would have been sent off for it.

Blacks a legend in his own mind. Once he buggers off down to some lower division championship side, he'll be an absolute nobody.

Thats bull. You hide behind the ref all you want. We'll never know if our players would have been sent off cos they could not lay a glove on any jumbo.

Our players never turned up. Our players should have got stuck into black but they bottled it. They bullied us all over the place.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Black was decent yesterday.

However I could probably look a competent midfielder if the opposing team gave me 15 yards of space and the cheat masquerading as a referee gave me immunity from the rules for 90 minutes.

Halifaxhibby
20-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Claros was subbed as fenlon got his tactics wrong, the clown doherty was giving craig leveins lovechild 10-15 yards and made him look a player yesterday, don't have a go at sproule, at least he's done something for hibs, he cost us £5000 what do u expect? try greeting about the rest of them the whole team was a disgrace.

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Thats bull. You hide behind the ref all you want. We'll never know if our players would have been sent off cos they could not lay a glove on any jumbo.

Our players never turned up. Our players should have got stuck into black but they bottled it. They bullied us all over the place.

I would never want our players to resort to Ian Black style thuggery. Our captain James McPake is the perfect example of how a player can be tough, but be fair. Ian Black is nothing but a little cheating prick. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. He deliberately elbowed Leigh Griffiths in the face and was allowed off with a WARNING.

Do we need midfielders who can get stuck in more? Of course we do, Claros was terrified of touching the ball and should be embarassed by his showing yesterday. Same goes for a lot of them.

Black was decent yesterday, but he was allowed far too much time on the ball.

Like I said, once he buggers off to Barnsley or some team like that, he'll disappear off the radar and come wandering back up the road to warm with his tail between his legs.

ekhibee
20-05-2012, 03:27 PM

So do you think Black should have been booked or not?

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 04:00 PM
So do you think Black should have been booked or not?

Off course he should have been booked\ sent off. The point I am making is he had a pair of bollocks to put it about when it mattered in the 1st 10 minutes whilst our nancy boys were tippy tapping around.

Could you imagine a player like yogi putting up with blacks challenge. The next challenge Hughes would have put him in the stand. Where was mcpake and hanlon getting stuck into skacel or Elliott?

loanheadhibby
20-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I would never want our players to resort to Ian Black style thuggery. Our captain James McPake is the perfect example of how a player can be tough, but be fair. Ian Black is nothing but a little cheating prick. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. He deliberately elbowed Leigh Griffiths in the face and was allowed off with a WARNING.

Do we need midfielders who can get stuck in more? Of course we do, Claros was terrified of touching the ball and should be embarassed by his showing yesterday. Same goes for a lot of them.

Like I said, once he buggers off to Barnsley or some team like that, he'll disappear off the radar and come wandering back up the road to warm with his tail between his legs.

You'd never want our players to resort to what? A win at all costs attitude? Getting stuck in during a derby! That's one of the reasons I'm sitting in the house and the jambos are enjoying a parade. Our club does not have the mental toughness to do what is required.

HibsMax
20-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Off course he should have been booked\ sent off. The point I am making is he had a pair of bollocks to put it about when it mattered in the 1st 10 minutes whilst our nancy boys were tippy tapping around.

Could you imagine a player like yogi putting up with blacks challenge. The next challenge Hughes would have put him in the stand. Where was mcpake and hanlon getting stuck into skacel or Elliott?

They would have been off in a heartbeat. Pun intended.

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Brilliant. So he should have been sent off but that's what we should be teaching our players? Nice one.

I'd never want our players to resort to assault. You can put yourself about fairly enough without risking a red card. (Or a gauranteed red card as it would have been for a Hibs player yesterday).

Black is a thug.

Of course we need to be tougher, but there's a line. Black loves crossing (and sniffing) lines and I wouldn't want any of our players to emulate him.

20-05-2012, 04:15 PM
They would have been off in a heartbeat. Pun intended.

Without a shadow of a doubt!

McSwanky
22-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Has anyone got any video footage of the elbow incident? The BBC seem to have totally omitted it from their 15 minute highlights package... Looked bad on the day but would like to see it again.

smurf
22-05-2012, 10:16 AM
It was clear assault. In the English premiership a red card on the day. If missed by the officials a retrospective one.

Typical SFA.

_hucks_
22-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Has anyone got any video footage of the elbow incident? The BBC seem to have totally omitted it from their 15 minute highlights package... Looked bad on the day but would like to see it again.

I was wondering the same thing - Hibs Interactive seems to have shared a highlights package with the BBC as well.

JimBHibees
22-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I always think that elbow decisions are difficult to call as it is difficult to work out intent however WTF wasnt Black booked just before half time when he took out Griffiths off the ball. That to me was the more awful decision and set the tone for his subsequent penalty decision that Mr McGoo would have got right.

It has happened too many times by Thomson for it to be IMO anything other than impartiality against Hibs. He has to my knowledge never given Hibs anything remotely like a big decision in games while has a litany of decisions against Hibs including numerous ones in derbies. He has a massive issue with Hibs for some reason however should never ref a Hibs or any game again because of it.

vanNISHtelroy
22-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Thought it was definately a yellow card...as for a red card I thought it was one of the ones that the pundits (possibly Premiership highlights on SKY) were talking about the difference between an elbow and leading with the elbow.

hibbygraham
22-05-2012, 11:03 AM

I was at Tynecastle when Murray made an identical challenge on Black. I don't recall Murray being hounded out for his 'thuggery'.

StevieC
22-05-2012, 11:19 AM

I was just about to post exactly the same. Griffiths got up far too quickly.
In comparison Suso, after the dive, was doing the "booking" gesture (which I thought was a booking in itself?) to the referee.
It's sad to say, but we were "too" sporting against a team/ref happy to "cheat".

JimBHibees
22-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I was just about to post exactly the same. Griffiths got up far too quickly.
In comparison Suso, after the dive, was doing the "booking" gesture (which I thought was a booking in itself?) to the referee.
It's sad to say, but we were "too" sporting against a team/ref happy to "cheat".

Yep agree completely we are way too soft as Fenlon said. You just need to look at Black in the ER derby this season rolling about then sprinting about after the yellow has been shown. There are definitely times you need to make the ref make a decision, Sparky jumping up gave Thomson an out not to say he would have given Black a yellow anyway.

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Please excuse the reflections. I video'd this off my MacBook with my iPhone. Real technical stuff. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xX1j9eNDMA

I always think that elbow decisions are difficult to call as it is difficult to work out intent however WTF wasnt Black booked just before half time when he took out Griffiths off the ball. That to me was the more awful decision and set the tone for his subsequent penalty decision that Mr McGoo would have got right.

It has happened too many times by Thomson for it to be IMO anything other than impartiality against Hibs. He has to my knowledge never given Hibs anything remotely like a big decision in games while has a litany of decisions against Hibs including numerous ones in derbies. He has a massive issue with Hibs for some reason however should never ref a Hibs or any game again because of it.
I know what you mean with respect to intent but when Kujabi got his yellow card I don't think his intent was to foul, I think he was just slow. I watched it a few times and I don't see any malice in the challenge.

McSwanky
22-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Please excuse the reflections. I video'd this off my MacBook with my iPhone. Real technical stuff. ;)

Thanks for that, can't believe no card was administered for that.

surreyhibbie
22-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Red card without a doubt for me.

Any competent ref would have, at the very very least, given a yellow.

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Ridiculous non-decision. Black even lifts his arm up to hit Griffiths, it wasn't like he "just" led with his elbow, which would have been bad enough.

Wotherspiniesta
22-05-2012, 08:05 PM
I was at Tynecastle when Murray made an identical challenge on Black. I don't recall Murray being hounded out for his 'thuggery'.

When did I say he should be "hounded out?" :confused:

Both incidents were red cards and neither should be glorified.

FitbaFolkKen
22-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I know what you mean with respect to intent but when Kujabi got his yellow card I don't think his intent was to foul, I think he was just slow. I watched it a few times and I don't see any malice in the challenge.

You don't think his intent was to foul? Did he accidently have a hold of his shirt? Or maybe the shirt got caught in one of his gloves? He was just skinned, panicked and made a stupid decision.

Black was cynical and calculating, Kujabi was naive. Both changed the game, unfortunately not for us.

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 08:49 PM
You don't think his intent was to foul? Did he accidently have a hold of his shirt? Or maybe the shirt got caught in one of his gloves? He was just skinned, panicked and made a stupid decision.

Black was cynical and calculating, Kujabi was naive. Both changed the game, unfortunately not for us.

I was talking about Kujabi's FIRST yellow card. The reason I mentioned it is because it was shortly after Black should have been sent off. The commentator in that clip I posted said that the ref's decision NOT to issue a card was a sensible one. But somehow or other Kujabi's yellow card DID merit a yellow card. Look at the two incidents and see which one was more deserving of a booking.

FitbaFolkKen
22-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I was talking about Kujabi's FIRST yellow card. The reason I mentioned it is because it was shortly after Black should have been sent off. The commentator in that clip I posted said that the ref's decision NOT to issue a card was a sensible one. But somehow or other Kujabi's yellow card DID merit a yellow card. Look at the two incidents and see which one was more deserving of a booking.

Ah sorry, my mistake! I agree with you then :)

Found it insane how anyone could think he never meant the second one......:doh:

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Ah sorry, my mistake! I agree with you then :)

Found it insane how anyone could think he never meant the second one......:doh:

LOL. "Our" mistake. I didn't say which yellow in my original post. ;)

To be fair to Kujabi, he was smart - at least he was IMO. He grabbed Suso's jersey but he did let it go before he got into the box so he knew what he was doing, he did what he could to stop him without going so far as to give away a needless penalty. He probably just didn't think that Thomson would cheat us. It's just a pity that Suso's bra strap catapulted him into the turf.

skipster7
22-05-2012, 09:43 PM
i was right in line with this and susan was at least 3 yards offside when the ball is played to him, comes back on and wins a foul !! the tackle wasnt good but the tit was offside first. Im pissed off with shocking desicions without us saying a word.re- black, nevin said on tv 90% of the time a yellow, the other 10% red.Wish we had a midfielder who would have taken a card early for whacking their main danger man.

ekhibee
22-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I reckon we do need a player like Matty Jack. I'm not going to say we need a player like Black cos he's just a wee jambo turd. That's really petty and I'm proud of it.

HibsMax
22-05-2012, 10:10 PM
i was right in line with this and susan was at least 3 yards offside when the ball is played to him, comes back on and wins a foul !! the tackle wasnt good but the tit was offside first. Im pissed off with shocking desicions without us saying a word.re- black, nevin said on tv 90% of the time a yellow, the other 10% red.Wish we had a midfielder who would have taken a card early for whacking their main danger man.

It was a terrible tackle for sure but how it was any worse than anything that had gone beforehand I don't know. :bitchy:

hibbygraham
22-05-2012, 10:18 PM
When did I say he should be "hounded out?" :confused:

Both incidents were red cards and neither should be glorified.

Fair enough. Poor inference on my part. Just think it's easy to get a bit precious about these things when the green-tinted specs are on.