PDA

View Full Version : "We didn't show anything. I apologise to the fans for having to sit and watch that."

Stanton
19-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Pat Fenlon says sorry to Hibs fans after Scottish Cup final defeat
Manager Pat Fenlon apologised to the Hibernian supporters after watching his side's drubbing in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts.
Pa Kujabi was sent off in the 5-1 defeat at Hampden (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18044372) as Hibs collapsed in the face of a Hearts onslaught.
"We didn't turn up, we didn't shine, we didn't deserve to win the game," said Fenlon.
"We didn't show anything. I apologise to the fans for having to sit and watch that."
The defeat means Hibs' drought without a Scottish Cup final victory will now stretch to at least 111 years.
Continue reading the main story (http://www.hibs.net/#story_continues_2)
“There's no desire and we've got to change the players to change the outlook of the club”
Pat Fenlon

James McPake pulled a goal back just before the break after Darren Barr and Rudi Skacel had given Hearts a two-goal lead.
However, Hibs' hopes were dashed at the start of the second half when Kujabi was adjudged to have fouled Susa in the box.
The Hibs defender was given his marching orders with a second booking and Danny Grainger scored from the spot.
Ryan McGowan's header and Skacel's second compounded a miserable afternoon for Hibs in the first all-Edinburgh Scottish Cup final since 1896.
"The club has been like this for a while," added Fenlon.
"There's no desire and we've got to change the players to change the outlook of the club.
"We'll work as hard as we can to turn things around."

3pm
19-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll have my £35 back if he's that sorry. Shameful.

DaveF
19-05-2012, 05:36 PM
"There's no desire and we've got to change the players to change the outlook of the club.
"

Start from the very ****ing top Pat and don't look back. Every **** with a loser attitude needs to be punted ASAP.

SneakersO'Toole
19-05-2012, 05:40 PM
If there is a silver lining to this enormous dark cloud it might be that he dumps these losers that have nearly relegatesd us and literaaly emebarrassed us in the biggest derby in living memory.

NOLA
19-05-2012, 05:41 PM
start with the board, not good enough, i feel for the fanatics who spent god knows how much on coming home for this final, and were treated to that display, i salut the fans but the club needs a ****ing shake up.

Cropley10
19-05-2012, 05:43 PM
No desire you say, Pat? Incredible stuff from the MANAGER of Hibernian.

Oranje39
19-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I might be splitting hairs but I was disappointed to see that Pat Fenlon wasn't wearing a suit today. Didn't seem to step up to occasion just like the team that was out.

IFONLY
19-05-2012, 05:54 PM

Manager Pat Fenlon apologised to the Hibernian supporters after watching his side's drubbing in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts.
Pa Kujabi was sent off in the 5-1 defeat at Hampden (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18044372) as Hibs collapsed in the face of a Hearts onslaught.
"We didn't turn up, we didn't shine, we didn't deserve to win the game," said Fenlon.
"We didn't show anything. I apologise to the fans for having to sit and watch that."
The defeat means Hibs' drought without a Scottish Cup final victory will now stretch to at least 111 years.
Continue reading the main story (http://www.hibs.net/#story_continues_2)
“There's no desire and we've got to change the players to change the outlook of the club”

Pat Fenlon

James McPake pulled a goal back just before the break after Darren Barr and Rudi Skacel had given Hearts a two-goal lead.
However, Hibs' hopes were dashed at the start of the second half when Kujabi was adjudged to have fouled Susa in the box.
The Hibs defender was given his marching orders with a second booking and Danny Grainger scored from the spot.
Ryan McGowan's header and Skacel's second compounded a miserable afternoon for Hibs in the first all-Edinburgh Scottish Cup final since 1896.
"The club has been like this for a while," added Fenlon.
"We'll work as hard as we can to turn things around."

Is it not your job to try and motivate them then. Try that instead of apologising. Tactics totally wrong.

IFONLY
19-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I might be splitting hairs but I was disappointed to see that Pat Fenlon wasn't wearing a suit today. Didn't seem to step up to occasion just like the team that was out.

Wish that was all we had to worry about. FFS

NOLA
19-05-2012, 06:01 PM
he wore a suit then changed into his trakies, not that it made a difference

Big Ed
19-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Is it not your job to try and motivate them then. Try that instead of apologising. Tactics totally wrong.

What alternative tactics would have got us a win today?

WhileTheChief..
19-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Seriously?? That's what you worried about?? Unbelievable.

Hibercelona
19-05-2012, 06:04 PM

There were no tactics that were going to guarantee us a win today.

But with the way the players went about their business today, we were guaranteed to lose.

ekhibee
19-05-2012, 06:04 PM
My wife was watching it on the telly (I was at the game), and she said Fenlon was seriously upset after the game about the performance. She also seemed to think that the police were talking to him after the penalty. I'm not making excuses for him, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that this Hibs team has not done the job they were asked to do. Of course he SHOULD be upset after that kind of performance, but he needs to bring in a lot of decent quality players before the start of next season, if he's able to do that I will judge him on that. Just my opinion though.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-05-2012, 06:06 PM

He was, then he changed tho?

BEEJ
19-05-2012, 06:08 PM
My wife was watching it on the telly (I was at the game), and she said Fenlon was seriously upset after the game about the performance. She also seemed to think that the police were talking to him after the penalty.

I'm not making excuses for him, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that this Hibs team has not done the job they were asked to do. Of course he SHOULD be upset after that kind of performance, but he needs to bring in a lot of decent quality players before the start of next season, if he's able to do that I will judge him on that. Just my opinion though.
Well at least PF shows some passion then.

Not the first time this season that we've been seriously on the wrong end of a Craig Thomson decision. No wonder he was spitting feathers.

Big Ed
19-05-2012, 06:10 PM
There were no tactics that were going to guarantee us a win today.

But with the way the players went about their business today, we were guaranteed to lose.

I was replying to a post that said that the tactics were totally wrong: bearing in mind the players at his disposal, I cannot see what "right" tactics could have changed the game significantly.

Hibercelona
19-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I was replying to a post that said that the tactics were totally wrong: bearing in mind the players at his disposal, I cannot see what "right" tactics could have changed the game significantly.

Tactics go beyond instructions.

If the players aren't physically or mentally prepared, then they've failed tactically.

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2012, 06:15 PM
No desire you say, Pat? Incredible stuff from the MANAGER of Hibernian.

Not sure what he could have done, he was let down very badly from his players, must have the weakest midfield in the game....

ehf
19-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Should have hooked Kujabi at half-time and put Francomb on.

HFC 0-7
19-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Not sitting so deep for a start, having players playing the right position! The players didn't look like they knew what to do at times, tactics that the players know and understand would help. At one point goc and griffiths were both on the left wing with no one in the middle. If fenlons tactics were so good why did this team look the worst they ever have been. His tactics saw no width in midfield and no support to forwards.

Big Ed
19-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Simple as that?

IndieHibby
19-05-2012, 06:28 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing before we scored. Kujabi was having a terrible game from the off. But how often are players subbed before half-time?

Big Ed
19-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Not sitting so deep for a start, having players playing the right position! The players didn't look like they knew what to do at times, tactics that the players know and understand would help. At one point goc and griffiths were both on the left wing with no one in the middle. If fenlons tactics were so good why did this team look the worst they ever have been. His tactics saw no width in midfield and no support to forwards.

I never said his tactics were so good: with this squad of players, no amount of tactics would have made any difference. This team was identical to the one that beat Dunfermline 4-0 (except for Griffiths replacing Doyle). The tactics were 4-4-2. The players should be familiar with it, they play the same tactics every week.
As for GOC and Griffiths both being on the left at one point: are you seriously blaming the Manager for that?

East Coast Hibe
19-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Just back from Hampden and I'm gutted.

Fenlons tactics were at best inept today. Right from the start I could not quite work out who should have been playing on the right side of midfield. Osborne started there, but was caught inside too many times. Soares seemed to go out there for a bit too. Hibs played far too narrow.
Claros ?? He never turned up, and not for the first time this season. He does too much on the ball and is too lightweight! Pitbull? More like pit pony! Hooked before half time because we were getting over run in midfield! Why not start with Murray or Wotherspoon? None of these two even stripped and would have done a far better job? After Claros goes off and Stevenson goes inside and Sproul on the right. Tactics completely change and Griffiths drops back to left midfield WTF ??

Kujabi was like a rabbit caught in the headlights all first half, was a yard off the pace and got booked as well. Hearts pinpointed our left side as a weakness both in height and ability. Why he never replaced Kujabi at half time I don't know. He was a bombscare, and one tackle away from the red card. Given the way he was playing it was a no brainer?

I think the tactics were poor. Perhaps we did not have the players and he done his best, but I have my doubts.

I'm afraid the cup run and the build up to the final have been a smokescreen to the real problems at ER. Lets hope he can sort it out before next season !

loanheadhibby
19-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Start from the very ****ing top Pat and don't look back. Every **** with a loser attitude needs to be punted ASAP.

I watched back the sky analysis and thought Neil Lennon came over very well. He hit the nail on the head about our club accepting defeat.

Just_Jimmy
19-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I think he's a winner. I think this will **** him off big time. maybe it will show him and the board that big big big changes are needed and if it helps long term maybe it will be worth it. Most likely it wont.

I will back him to the hilt tho if he is admitting the attitude is *****, hes the first manager for years to come out and say that. he can punt anyone in any manner, I dont care anymore I just want a competitive hibs team that never quits.

Not wins, just never gives up.

19-05-2012, 07:47 PM
An apology is the least that they owe the supporters. We turned up in our numbers, in full voice hoping to see our team at least make an effort!

Disgraceful display Fenlon and the players should be ashamed that they have let us down so badly. Massive job Fenlon has on his hands to turn this around, massive clearout needed this summer!

steakbake
19-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I watched back the sky analysis and thought Neil Lennon came over very well. He hit the nail on the head about our club accepting defeat.

What did he say?

He's right though. Most of our players stood off and watched like spectators all afternoon. We gave them the space to play in and gave us the doing we deserved.

Hibercelona
19-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Aye, cause Neil Lennon is good at accepting defeat himself...

Just_Jimmy
19-05-2012, 08:13 PM

thats the point, winners dont accept defeat.

We accept defeat, we are not winners.

DaveF
19-05-2012, 08:16 PM

Correct. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

down-the-slope
19-05-2012, 08:21 PM

that was the obvious one for me (given he did well when he had to replace him last time out) as Herats were always going to target a full back on a yellow card

Even so the best team won.....it might have been more respectable, but could never see us winning on the day

loanheadhibby
19-05-2012, 08:45 PM
What did he say?

He's right though. Most of our players stood off and watched like spectators all afternoon. We gave them the space to play in and gave us the doing we deserved.

He said the club was mentally weak and accepts defeat easily. No fighting spirit in the team and an acceptance of 2nd best

loanheadhibby
19-05-2012, 08:49 PM

I think you are missing the point. He was saying what a lot of fans have been saying. We are soft touches with no leaders in the club either playing or otherwise. Fenlon said the exact same.

The Falcon
19-05-2012, 08:57 PM
What did he say?

We were second to everything. Was pleased to get to half time a goal down. The penalty run started on the half way line when two Hibs players went for the same ball. And both missed.

ehf
19-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Simple as that?

Maybe. Remember we usually have one bad half and one good one. We were in the ascendancy at half time and surely had to come out all guns blazing. But Kujabi let's Suso (a fringe player) waltz all the way from his own half to our box. Francomb would have stopped him on the half-way line.

erskine-hibby
19-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe. Remember we usually have one bad half and one good one. We were in the ascendancy at half time and surely had to come out all guns blazing. But Kujabi let's Suso (a fringe player) waltz all the way from his own half to our box. Francomb would have stopped him on the half-way line.

Not forgetting Griffiths as well:agree:

East Coast Hibe
19-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Not forgetting Griffiths as well:agree:

But why did he move Griffiths back to left midfield? Poor tactics to move him back and keep Kujabi on after a terrible first half and on a booking??

FitbaFolkKen
19-05-2012, 09:43 PM
But why did he move Griffiths back to left midfield? Poor tactics to move him back and keep Kujabi on after a terrible first half and on a booking??

Moved him to go 5 in midfield as we were getting overrun

madabouthibs
19-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Kujabi should have been off at HT. Apart from that ......... Nowt wrong with what Pat did today. He knows he has a job on his hands, but I trust him.

HFC 0-7
19-05-2012, 11:25 PM
I never said his tactics were so good: with this squad of players, no amount of tactics would have made any difference. This team was identical to the one that beat Dunfermline 4-0 (except for Griffiths replacing Doyle). The tactics were 4-4-2. The players should be familiar with it, they play the same tactics every week.
As for GOC and Griffiths both being on the left at one point: are you seriously blaming the Manager for that?

And there you go, why would any manager play the same tactics every week? You have meant to change your tactics, shape and players depending on the team you play! Playing Dunfermline is completely different from playing hearts and require different tactics.

Steve20
19-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't want an apology. It's too late, I just want you to **** off back to where you came from, Fenlon. Another useless buffoon.

Big Ed
20-05-2012, 07:02 AM
And there you go, why would any manager play the same tactics every week? You have meant to change your tactics, shape and players depending on the team you play! Playing Dunfermline is completely different from playing hearts and require different tactics.

In your previous post, you spoke about tactics that the players know and understand; that's why I brought up the Dunfermline game.
Also, if you look at my previous posts on this thread, you won't see any endorsement from me regarding his tactics: only that IMO no amount of tactical nous would have prevented us from taking a pasting.
Our midfield is the worst in the League bar none: Hearts played with two wingers, who hogged the touchline, Barr in a holding role, Black in the centre and Skacel in a free role behind the striker. On a big park like Hampden, that's a lot of room to give up, but Sergio knew we didn't have the players to do anything about it. We lack pace and mobility: no one goes to support the forwards because they can't get back, no one wants to press their opponents because they'll have to chase back if the guy gets a pass away.
My point is that replacing one average/poor player with another or sticking a fifth man in midfield cannot disguise the fact that we don't have enough good players at Easter Road to form the basis of a decent team.

Beefster
20-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Kujabi should have been off at HT. Apart from that ......... Nowt wrong with what Pat did today. He knows he has a job on his hands, but I trust him.

Aye, Fenlon called most things right. Starting Kujabi was a good move (my heart sinking when I heard him start was just me being silly). Starting Claros was a good move. Having the midfield sit so far back that our strikers had to drop back looking for the ball, leaving no-one up front, was a good move.

Except for those, and a few more clangers, Fenlon got it right yesterday.

PS I'd let Billy Brown go now. I'm not sure wtf he's actually contributing but it doesn't appear to be an in-depth knowledge of Scottish football.

Davy Mac
20-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Aye, Fenlon called most things right. Starting Kujabi was a good move (my heart sinking when I heard him start was just me being silly). Starting Claros was a good move. Having the midfield sit so far back that our strikers had to drop back looking for the ball, leaving no-one up front, was a good move.

PS I'd let Billy Brown go now. I'm not sure wtf he's actually contributing but it doesn't appear to be an in-depth knowledge of Scottish football.

:agree:

Agreed, for me he's had the opportunity to make the job his own or perhaps run East Mians for the rest of his career but for every time I've seen him he appears to pine to be back together with fat Jim, got all nostalgic on Sportscene about his divided loyalties (should have been emptied then IMO) and in fact I'm not quite sure what contribution he has made since joining us.

Well, enjoy first division life with Dunfermline in your new chapter/challenge as this clearly what awaits but a Hibby at heart more like the latter to me.

ac1
20-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't want an apology. It's too late, I just want you to **** off back to where you came from, Fenlon. Another useless buffoon.

:confused:

The last thing Hibs need is to change another manager

SlickShoes
20-05-2012, 08:05 AM

If we sacked all the hibs managers that got pumped by hearts then we would have no one left to manage the club.

Pat Fenlon kept us in the league and prevented relegation with his loan signings in January, we would have been relegated had calderwood stayed.

January is a terrible time to try and bring in your own squad, the slate has to be wiped now and this summer is the start of his real job as hibs manager.

If we had lost the semi 2-1 to aberdeen and stayed up by pumping dunfermline 4-0 at ER and with a cushion of 8 points all these fenlon must go posts would not even exist.

We get pumped by hearts all the time, its a sad fact but you can't sack the manager every time it happens.

Holmesdale Hibs
20-05-2012, 08:18 AM

I thought he was wearing a suit when he lead the team out then went back down the tunnel to get changed.

I can't remember a Hibs manager using such strong language about his own players. It's totally justified in this case and there is a complete lack of both ability and winning mentality. McPake and maybe Griffiths aside, there is not a Hibs player that would get anywhere near the hearts team. We were totally humiliated and I can only hope this is a wake up call that things have to change.

Big Ed
20-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Who do you replace these players with though? Francom in for Kujabi? probably yes, but he is predominantly right footed, up against a winger and he's not that great in the tackle. It's not as if he left out Ashley Cole.
Every first team player who didn't start for us has had chance after chance: Wotherspoon, Murray, Sproule, Booth, the list goes on, but none of them have shown any consistency. Regarding our midfield sitting too far back: I mentioned earlier: we have no legs in there.
Fenlon signed both Kujabi and Claros so he must take a portion of the blame, but we desperately needed to get players in January and he'd have had to make these signings in a hurry.
We need new players badly. A lot of them: if it helps with the budget, he can take Billy Brown off the wage bill any time he likes.

TheEastTerrace
20-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Let's have some perspective please - this is by a long way one of the worst Hibs teams in the history of the club. We stayed up by the skin of our teeth and have been woeful for over two seasons now. Fenlon was given one objective - keep us up. He brought in players to patch up a side that couldn't do the fundamental basics right; some good, some just as bad. But keep us up he did

Deep down, I knew we would lose yesterday. Just didnt have any faith in the players. I watched Fenlon's interview last night and deep down, he probably knew that this shower wouldn't perform. His job starts now as far as I'm concerned, starting with an early wake up call to some of these so-called footballers to come and collect their P45s.

Cropley10
20-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I think he's a winner. I think this will **** him off big time. maybe it will show him and the board that big big big changes are needed and if it helps long term maybe it will be worth it. Most likely it wont.

I will back him to the hilt tho if he is admitting the attitude is *****, hes the first manager for years to come out and say that. he can punt anyone in any manner, I dont care anymore I just want a competitive hibs team that never quits.

Not wins, just never gives up.

It's the Club. Change the manager, changer the players, nothing changes. Collins came in and wanted to instil a winning mentality and look what happened. We're run by bean counters and marketing people.

Hearts are a mess, players don't get paid, managers come and go, they've a decrepit old stadium and train with students. Their owner is a nutter. Doesn't seem to matter, they have a winning mentality as a Club.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 09:37 AM
It's the Club. Change the manager, changer the players, nothing changes. Collins came in and wanted to instil a winning mentality and look what happened. We're run by bean counters and marketing people.

Hearts are a mess, players don't get paid, managers come and go, they've a decrepit old stadium and train with students. Their owner is a nutter. Doesn't seem to matter, they have a winning mentality as a Club.

I still maintain our club is rotten from top to bottom, we have a inability to fight and dig in, and the players get off far too lightly in my opinion.....We need a complete overhaul to stop this decline and general malaise.....

Weir7
20-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Not sure what he could have done, he was let down very badly from his players, must have the weakest midfield in the game....

He signed soares and poodle.

Weir7
20-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I still maintain our club is rotten from top to bottom, we have a inability to fight and dig in, and the players get off far too lightly in my opinion.....We need a complete overhaul to stop this decline and general malaise.....

Include fans in that, we accept second best. I got my season tick for next year. We have blinded loyalty.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 09:59 AM
He signed soares and poodle.

I don't blame him for that. Soares has been signed for £1m plus by Stoke, and we were all salivating at the signing of Claros when it happened, but these two have under performed for us big time.....

Hermit Crab
20-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I'll have my £35 back if he's that sorry. Shameful.

Yes that plus the extras you bought yesterday, I'll have £200 back Mr Fenlon.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Include fans in that, we accept second best. I got my season tick for next year. We have blinded loyalty.

We follow the club we love because it is our club....The Board are merely custodians.....Its in our blood, its what we do and its part and parcel of being a football supporter

Weir7
20-05-2012, 10:03 AM
:confused:

The last thing Hibs need is to change another manager

Just because we've had lots of managers doesn't mean Fenlon keeps his job. He is Alex Miller. Doesn't try to win games. Sets his midfield up so deep they aren't in the game. Team needed energy and legs in January. Signed soares and poodle who can't run.

We nEeded a big target man. He signed doyle and o'donvan.

Beefster
20-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't blame him for that. Soares has been signed for £1m plus by Stoke, and we were all salivating at the signing of Claros when it happened, but these two have under performed for us big time.....

You don't blame Fenlon for the players he signs? Fenlon will be delighted if that's the attitude in the support.

The fans know nothing (we were delighted with Claros' signing based on the fact that Rangers had wanted him) but presumably Fenlon/Hibs had actually done some homework before signing these guys (although, having seen our scouting operation apparently die on its feet over the last few years, maybe not)?

Littlest Hobo
20-05-2012, 10:07 AM
There is an aura hanging around our club and it's not a good one.

Is it the players?

Players have come and gone, it stil won't leave us.

Could it be the people in suits creating a negativity?

We need to get the players to love our club and to enjoy being part of the Hibs family again.

Weir7
20-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Nonsense re carlos. We had never seem him play.

£1m player is chicken feed in england. Also, he never saw him play in a game. If he had he would have known he can't run. How many times has he been relegated now?

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 10:15 AM
You don't blame Fenlon for the players he signs? Fenlon will be delighted if that's the attitude in the support.

The fans know nothing (we were delighted with Claros' signing based on the fact that Rangers had wanted him) but presumably Fenlon/Hibs had actually done some homework before signing these guys (although, having seen our scouting operation apparently die on its feet over the last few years, maybe not)?

Come on Beefster, we signed a £million player, and Claros we all thought was going to be a winner.....Fenlon did well for me, it's just a shame these two guys have so under performed....We all thought McPake, Doherty, Francomb, Kujabi were good signings at the time, can't really put my finger on it, why these guys have performed badly....I still would not blame Fenlon for that.......

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Nonsense re carlos. We had never seem him play.

£1m player is chicken feed in england. Also, he never saw him play in a game. If he had he would have known he can't run. How many times has he been relegated now?

Not so, this Board was all positivity on the last day of the window when we signed Claros, we all thought it was a massive coup for us at that time....

Weir7
20-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Not so, this Board was all positivity on the last day of the window when we signed Claros, we all thought it was a massive coup for us at that time....

Hahahha

Based on what? His agent claimed the huns wanted him. I rite.

Dr Jimmy
20-05-2012, 10:35 AM
There is an aura hanging around our club and it's not a good one.

Is it the players?

Players have come and gone, it stil won't leave us.

Could it be the people in suits creating a negativity?

We need to get the players to love our club and to enjoy being part of the Hibs family again.

You are spot on but this aura will never change until Petrie goes.
The fact we let an accountant run the club says it all. He has overseen the dismantling of the heart and soul of everything Hibernian used to stand for and replaced it with a lifeless, gutless shell of a club.
He must go and take the rest of his under performing board with him.
We are a club in massive (almost terminal) decline and if he is in charge he must be responsible.
NEVER LET AN ACCOUNTANT RUN A BUSINESS!

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Hahahha

In your opinion of course, but majority on here were salivating at his potential and credentials.....

Eyrie
20-05-2012, 10:41 AM
You are spot on but this aura will never change until Petrie goes.
The fact we let an accountant run the club says it all. He has overseen the dismantling of the heart and soul of everything Hibernian used to stand for and replaced it with a lifeless, gutless shell of a club.
He must go and take the rest of his under performing board with him.
We are a club in massive (almost terminal) decline and if he is in charge he must be responsible.
NEVER LET AN ACCOUNTANT RUN A BUSINESS!

Firstly, Petrie's business background is in merchant banking. Secondly, and more importantly, he's been here for sixteen years and been very active in the SFA. At some point it has to be accepted that he is now a football man, even if people don't like him or his methods.

Dr Jimmy
20-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Firstly, Petrie's business background is in merchant banking. Secondly, and more importantly, he's been here for sixteen years and been very active in the SFA. At some point it has to be accepted that he is now a football man, even if people don't like him or his methods.

Are you happy with his performance?

Eyrie
20-05-2012, 10:57 AM

I view his role as being to appoint the right manager, to support that manager with funds for the first team and to keep the club on a financially stable footing.

No-one can quibble that he has done well with the second and third parts, but his recent managerial appointments have been poor. I was in favour of both Paatelainen and Hughes but not Calderwood. All three turned out to be disappointments and if by January Fenlon is also proven to be a dud, then Petrie will have to go.

Bohstron
20-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Haven't posted here since Fenlon got the job 6 months ago, and obviously have been following Hibs progress (or lack of!!) since he came in, and incidently I know at least a dozen Bohs fans who made the trip to Hampden yesterday.

What I do know is what happened yesterday has hurt him bad, but all in all he has done what he was asked to do and keep Hibs in the Premier, getting that group of players to a Cup Final was a coup in itself regardless of what happened on the day.

Now, you will see the real Fenlon, he can finally re-build with players that will finally be "his players" yes I know he signed a lot of players on loan, but they are basically players brought in to do a temporary job and lets be honest they are released on loan from their original clubs for a reason!!

He's in a good position now in the sense he can now start with a blank canvas and bring in players that want to play for him, He likes to be surrounded by people he knows will work their b*****ks off for him, so expect to see him sign players that have played under him before, I would expect to see a stream of players queuing up to play for him.

keep the faith!

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Haven't posted here since Fenlon got the job 6 months ago, and obviously have been following Hibs progress (or lack of!!) since he came in, and incidently I know at least a dozen Bohs fans who made the trip to Hampden yesterday.

What I do know is what happened yesterday has hurt him bad, but all in all he has done what he was asked to do and keep Hibs in the Premier, getting that group of players to a Cup Final was a coup in itself regardless of what happened on the day.

Now, you will see the real Fenlon, he can finally re-build with players that will finally be "his players" yes I know he signed a lot of players on loan, but they are basically players brought in to do a temporary job and lets be honest they are released on loan from their original clubs for a reason!!

He's in a good position now in the sense he can now start with a blank canvas and bring in players that want to play for him, He likes to be surrounded by people he knows will work their b*****ks off for him, so expect to see him sign players that have played under him before, I would expect to see a stream of players queuing up to play for him.

keep the faith!
Thanks for that info.

Have you ever known PF to react like he did yesterday on the touchline?

Bohstron
20-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that info.

Have you ever known PF to react like he did yesterday on the touchline?

Yeah all the time, he's a passionate man about his football and thats why he insists on wearing the tracksuit and boots on the touchline, he kicks and heads every ball with them. He was let down by everyone on the pitch yesterday (especially the kid that was sent off) I would be surprised if anyone that played yesterday starts pre-season with him (other than those under contract)

TheEastTerrace
20-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah all the time, he's a passionate man about his football and thats why he insists on wearing the tracksuit and boots on the touchline, he kicks and heads every ball with them. He was let down by everyone on the pitch yesterday (especially the kid that was sent off) I would be surprised if anyone that played yesterday starts pre-season with him (other than those under contract)

As I've said on another thread, he didn't pull any punches in his post-match interview. I predict a total clear-out from Fenlon and hopefully he has identified some players already with a bit of grit and graft about them. I don't mind not watching the prettiest football if he makes us hard to beat.

Littlest Hobo
20-05-2012, 01:04 PM

keep the faith!

Top marks, perspective if ever it was needed.

Hibby 2005
20-05-2012, 01:41 PM

keep the faith!

I'll give Pat next season after a pre-season of new signings but some of his signings so far have been a dissapontment.

I personally was surprised to see Kujabl start the second half yesterday as Francombe would have shored things up and we might have hung in there.

Fenlon talks a good game but as has been stated before we haven't improved so I'll give him next year and at the end of the season we'll find out his true worth.

cabbageandribs1875
20-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Hahahha

to be fair, sally McCoist wanted claros, badly, and stated in the media about his frustration at the hun board not sanctioning the purchase of claros

can i just add, i don't rate sally as a good manager :greengrin

Brebners Bookie
20-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Come on Beefster, we signed a £million player, and Claros we all thought was going to be a winner.....Fenlon did well for me, it's just a shame these two guys have so under performed....We all thought McPake, Doherty, Francomb, Kujabi were good signings at the time, can't really put my finger on it, why these guys have performed badly....I still would not blame Fenlon for that.......

Absolutely no blame can be layed at fenlon's door if you ask me. Yes it was his players that underperformed but we have to remember why these players were brought in.

They were never meant to make us better than hearts by the end of the season, they were meant to keep us in the league, they did and now they will all leave and Fenlon will try and replace them with a top six side.

Next season is when i will start judging Fenlon as a manager, so far he has acheived the goals set before him.

HFC 0-7
20-05-2012, 03:06 PM
In your previous post, you spoke about tactics that the players know and understand; that's why I brought up the Dunfermline game.
Also, if you look at my previous posts on this thread, you won't see any endorsement from me regarding his tactics: only that IMO no amount of tactical nous would have prevented us from taking a pasting.
Our midfield is the worst in the League bar none: Hearts played with two wingers, who hogged the touchline, Barr in a holding role, Black in the centre and Skacel in a free role behind the striker. On a big park like Hampden, that's a lot of room to give up, but Sergio knew we didn't have the players to do anything about it. We lack pace and mobility: no one goes to support the forwards because they can't get back, no one wants to press their opponents because they'll have to chase back if the guy gets a pass away.
My point is that replacing one average/poor player with another or sticking a fifth man in midfield cannot disguise the fact that we don't have enough good players at Easter Road to form the basis of a decent team.

I agree that they have better players and we have a bad midfield. I also agree that Sergio knew this. If we knew and Sergio knew out, how did Fenlon not? Playing a 5 man midfield would have made us a bit more competative in there. When you play a bigger, better team you need to try and keep it tight, you can expect to match them, you have to try and beat them in another way. Fenlon set up his side fine for dunfermline because they are mince. You cant expect them to play the same against hearts. Chelsea are a prime example of where even a top side has to change the way they play to combat better sides. I am not saying sticking a 5th man in midfield would have made us win, but it certainly would have made us harder to beat. As you say, Hampden is a big park with a lot of space, our 4 man midfield has been found out a few times this season where teams have found a lot of space, to me, that would start alarm bells when going to a bigger park but Fenlon changed nothing.

Fenlon seems to have had one shape, formation and squad selection (injuries and suspensions aside) for every match, in football that just doesnt work. even Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal etc etc will change their tactics, formation, shape and players depending on each game.

Regarding the part in bold above, totally agree, but you have to make the best of what you have at your disposal. IMO, the formation that fenlon put out there didnt give us a chance of it because they are so much stronger in midfield. Lets not forget teams like Gretna played Hearts and set up a way to combat them. You see it all the time in the scottish cup when lower league opposition set up to stiffle opposition or stop them playing the way they normally do. We didnt set up to stop them play, we set up a shape and formation that would allow us to play, IF, we have better players.

HFC 0-7
20-05-2012, 03:12 PM

I find the bit on bold hard to accept, because you are involved with football for a while doesnt mean you are a football man. Take Neil Doncaster for example, he has been in football for 11 or 12 years and has recently shown that he cares for £££££ more than football with the Rangers situation.

Big Ed
20-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree that they have better players and we have a bad midfield. I also agree that Sergio knew this. If we knew and Sergio knew out, how did Fenlon not? Playing a 5 man midfield would have made us a bit more competative in there. When you play a bigger, better team you need to try and keep it tight, you can expect to match them, you have to try and beat them in another way. Fenlon set up his side fine for dunfermline because they are mince. You cant expect them to play the same against hearts. Chelsea are a prime example of where even a top side has to change the way they play to combat better sides. I am not saying sticking a 5th man in midfield would have made us win, but it certainly would have made us harder to beat. As you say, Hampden is a big park with a lot of space, our 4 man midfield has been found out a few times this season where teams have found a lot of space, to me, that would start alarm bells when going to a bigger park but Fenlon changed nothing.

Fenlon seems to have had one shape, formation and squad selection (injuries and suspensions aside) for every match, in football that just doesnt work. even Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal etc etc will change their tactics, formation, shape and players depending on each game.

Regarding the part in bold above, totally agree, but you have to make the best of what you have at your disposal. IMO, the formation that fenlon put out there didnt give us a chance of it because they are so much stronger in midfield. Lets not forget teams like Gretna played Hearts and set up a way to combat them. You see it all the time in the scottish cup when lower league opposition set up to stiffle opposition or stop them playing the way they normally do. We didnt set up to stop them play, we set up a shape and formation that would allow us to play, IF, we have better players.

I take your point about the fifth man in Midfield, when Hearts kicked off after our goal, we set up as a 4-5-1 with Griffiths on the left, Sproule on the right and Stevenson coming into the middle: that all went out the window when Kujabi got sent off.
The dilema Fenlon had was that neither O'Connor or Griffiths are good good enough to play on their own up front. I agree with you when you say that we could have tailored the side to stifle Hearts, but whilst our Midfield is dreadful; our Strikers are both goalscorers (contrast that with Elliot; five goals scored and he didn't get one).
I think Fenlon made a difficult judgement call and I think that the players let him down, rather than them being let down by his tactics.
Finally, your point about lower league teams in the cup: I doubt if Gretna, Queen of the South or Ross County had a slower midfield than ours yesterday. Nashing round the pitch was at least an option for them.

Eyrie
20-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I find the bit on bold hard to accept, because you are involved with football for a while doesnt mean you are a football man. Take Neil Doncaster for example, he has been in football for 11 or 12 years and has recently shown that he cares for £££££ more than football with the Rangers situation.
Petrie's comments on the Huns have made it clear that he does put football before cash.

DH1875
20-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing before we scored. Kujabi was having a terrible game from the off. But how often are players subbed before half-time?

Did Claros not get hooked before half time :confused:.

That's the point. We rolled over and accepted a rogering. The total lack of fight and spirit about that team yesterday was a disgrace. There is no disgrace in defeat but to just curl up into a ball and give in is NEVER acceptable.

I am. How anyone can complain about Petrie is beyond me. He's done more than enough for the club and given the managers plenty of backing. It's not his fault they all don't seem to know what their doing and sign duds.

dchibs
20-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Well said I agree with aii this.

Jones28
20-05-2012, 04:16 PM

I'm pretty sure there was not one person saying that these 2 were good signings when they first came in. Soares had a £1 million price tag when he went to Stoke and Claros was persued by Rangers and had a good reputation - it only takes a good trial to get a contract.

HFC 0-7
20-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Petrie's comments on the Huns have made it clear that he does put football before cash.

Problem with that though is that he sees bricks and mortar as football. We have in the past assembled and destroyed good teams. We got away with as there was a constant supply of good players from the youth team. That's stopped and this is the positon we found ourselves in.

Petrie has the best interests of the club in mind but IMO he has not grasped what the club is all about - the team and the fans. We now have zero assets within the squad, terrible team and bad results. Fans don't care about flashy stadiums, I am sure everyone of us would have traded the stadium for a win yesterday. Petrie is good at making money from selling players, now we don't have any he seems to have run out of ideas on ways to improve the club.

We don't seem to have anyone in the hierarchy at the club that has a good football knowledge ( the playing side of things) to help the board and IMO that is showing now.

HFC 0-7
20-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I take your point about the fifth man in Midfield, when Hearts kicked off after our goal, we set up as a 4-5-1 with Griffiths on the left, Sproule on the right and Stevenson coming into the middle: that all went out the window when Kujabi got sent off.
The dilema Fenlon had was that neither O'Connor or Griffiths are good good enough to play on their own up front. I agree with you when you say that we could have tailored the side to stifle Hearts, but whilst our Midfield is dreadful; our Strikers are both goalscorers (contrast that with Elliot; five goals scored and he didn't get one).
I think Fenlon made a difficult judgement call and I think that the players let him down, rather than them being let down by his tactics.
Finally, your point about lower league teams in the cup: I doubt if Gretna, Queen of the South or Ross County had a slower midfield than ours yesterday. Nashing round the pitch was at least an option for them.

I just think that fenlon got his tactics completely wrong yesterday. I completely thought goc or griffiths would be on the bench, we would stay tight as possible for a large part of the game, and when they start to change things to try and break us down we can make changes that would expose weakesses. They were the favourites, they were expected to take the game to us. I would have set out the side to be as right as possible, soak the pressure an when they start commuting more try counter attacks. Throw faster players like sprouted and griffiths on. Trying to match hearts man for man yesterday was doomed from the start.

leithman
21-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Petrie gets a lot of stick. Possibly because he's not such a good looker.
But on football terms He has played a big part in keeping us afloat when other clubs have thrown caution to the wind.
Some fans may say that we need to spend more, but investments have been made in the training ground and in the stadium, and I seem to remember being warned that there was no more money.
Who can argue that we don't have the the facilities we deserve so lets hope that we can now build a team to match the facilities.
For those who may suggest that STF should be bankrolling the club, I would say that he helped save the club from extinction and as far as I know never wanted to be a Romanov. He did us a great service. Its ok to say let a mega rich oligarth buy the club, but I don't think there has ever been one.
I am glad the club still exists, and very proud to see how the ground now looks.
OK we just got gubbed by the ugly twin and we just escaped relegation, but we are still here and heading towards a new season.

I actually think that it will be easy to forget saturday, especially as we wont be looking at the same wasters on the park.

I got off lightly today with the yams and i'm sure they will have the upper hand for a while, but it's not going to be long before we can find ways of turning 5-1 into a poor version of 7-0.
I was worried for a while on saturday, but as they took the foot off the pedal it became just another embarrassing final, and I've seen a few of those.

So come on Pat, lets see what you are really made of and show us how good you are at building a team that can win.
At least He showed that he understands the rivalry. And also hates capitulation.

GGTTH

:flag:

fit o' the walk
21-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Petrie gets a lot of stick. Possibly because he's not such a good looker.
But on football terms He has played a big part in keeping us afloat when other clubs have thrown caution to the wind.
Some fans may say that we need to spend more, but investments have been made in the training ground and in the stadium, and I seem to remember being warned that there was no more money.
Who can argue that we don't have the the facilities we deserve so lets hope that we can now build a team to match the facilities.
For those who may suggest that STF should be bankrolling the club, I would say that he helped save the club from extinction and as far as I know never wanted to be a Romanov. He did us a great service. Its ok to say let a mega rich oligarth buy the club, but I don't think there has ever been one.
I am glad the club still exists, and very proud to see how the ground now looks.
OK we just got gubbed by the ugly twin and we just escaped relegation, but we are still here and heading towards a new season.

I actually think that it will be easy to forget saturday, especially as we wont be looking at the same wasters on the park.

I got off lightly today with the yams and i'm sure they will have the upper hand for a while, but it's not going to be long before we can find ways of turning 5-1 into a poor version of 7-0.
I was worried for a while on saturday, but as they took the foot off the pedal it became just another embarrassing final, and I've seen a few of those.

So come on Pat, lets see what you are really made of and show us how good you are at building a team that can win.
At least He showed that he understands the rivalry. And also hates capitulation.

GGTTH

:flag:You actually think it will be easy to forget Saturday??? I will NEVER be able to forget that HUMILIATION,as much as i loved being at the 0-7 game i would gladly swop that for a 5-1 Scottish Cup Final win over them.

truehibernian
21-05-2012, 09:37 PM
You actually think it will be easy to forget Saturday??? I will NEVER be able to forget that HUMILIATION,as much as i loved being at the 0-7 game i would gladly swop that for a 5-1 Scottish Cup Final win over them.

I'm as passionate and committed a supporter as any and I'm over it. We lost, they deserved it, but they carried luck at a crucial point in the game. Life goes on, Hibs are still here, and the fans, at Hampden for the semi and final, and against Dunfermline, showed me why I can't get this wonderful club out of my system.

The players come and go, but the fans spur me on. We lost and I'm already looking forward to the next derby as I always do.

As wee Gordon would say, today I was more worried about my yoghurt being in date. Glory glory.

snooky
21-05-2012, 09:45 PM
thats the point, winners dont accept defeat.

We accept defeat, we are not winners.

Jack Nicklaus :not worth (that well known loser) always accepted defeat graciously. :whistle:

PatHead
21-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Jack Nicklaus :not worth (that well known loser) always accepted defeat graciously. :whistle:

Don't think Nicklaus ever "accepted" defeat he dealt with it gracefully. There is a massive difference.

Kato
21-05-2012, 10:21 PM

I bet a few Nicklaus fanatics, especially their baby crew, weren't to happy.

snooky
21-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Don't think Nicklaus ever "accepted" defeat he dealt with it gracefully. There is a massive difference.

I know what you're getting at, however I was trying to emphasise that one should be gracious in defeat.

PatHead
21-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I know what you're getting at, however I was trying to emphasise that one should be gracious in defeat.

Agree entirely but they are still dirty, cheating, knuckledragging, inbred, dirty fatherless children.:devil: Same as last week

jacomo
22-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm as passionate and committed a supporter as any and I'm over it. We lost, they deserved it, but they carried luck at a crucial point in the game. Life goes on, Hibs are still here, and the fans, at Hampden for the semi and final, and against Dunfermline, showed me why I can't get this wonderful club out of my system.

The players come and go, but the fans spur me on. We lost and I'm already looking forward to the next derby as I always do.

As wee Gordon would say, today I was more worried about my yoghurt being in date. Glory glory.

Well done. I'm not over it.

Hibs had a massive opportunity and, in my view, everyone at the club is culpable to some extent for our failure.

I

truehibernian
22-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Well done. I'm not over it.

Hibs had a massive opportunity and, in my view, everyone at the club is culpable to some extent for our failure.

I

No denying that, I share your view. But winning mentality often comes from experiencing a defeat such as this. This, for me, is a watershed moment and a long time coming. I think we can use it as a springboard to creating a winning side.

Football ,the game we love, is beautiful because there is always always the chance to make amends. Some are saying this avenges 0-7 - possibly it does, maybe not - only took them near 50 years.

It's a horrendous result. But life goes on. I really am more bothered about what's for dinner tonight now. I already can't wait for pre-season. I love Hibs no matter what the result or who it's against. Our history extends to way more than one game. And there will be other days.

Chin up, look forward, support the team, but see this as a potential time where everyone at Hibs woke up to what is needing to be done.

Hibercelona
22-05-2012, 10:34 AM
No denying that, I share your view. But winning mentality often comes from experiencing a defeat such as this. This, for me, is a watershed moment and a long time coming. I think we can use it as a springboard to creating a winning side.

Winning doesn't come from losing, it comes from winning in the first place.

Those "players" (if i can call them that) turned up losers and they'll leave even bigger losers.

You've got to win in order to win.

Just_Jimmy
22-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Look at Alex Fergusons comments regarding City winning the title on the last day. If you have given everything and left it all out on the field and are still beaten then you can be gracious. That's not accepting defeat, that's accepting you gave everything and came up short.

truehibernian
22-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Winning doesn't come from losing, it comes from winning in the first place.

Those "players" (if i can call them that) turned up losers and they'll leave even bigger losers.

You've got to win in order to win.

Really ?

Ask John McEnroe or Roger Federer what it felt like losing a Grand Slam in their younger days and ask them if it made them more determined to come back stronger and for it not to happen again ?

Ask Ian Botham what he felt like winning The Ashes after England had been pumped before that ?

Ask Tony McCoy what it felt like losing the National all those times as champion jockey and what it felt like when he won, after being dogged, determined, professional and keeping going.

Every winner, at some point, has had a defeat.......Rory McIlroy.....look at how he turned around his horrible Masters defeat, into a triumph not long after.

Hibercelona
22-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Really ?

Ask John McEnroe or Roger Federer what it felt like losing a Grand Slam in their younger days and ask them if it made them more determined to come back stronger and for it not to happen again ?

Ask Ian Botham what he felt like winning The Ashes after England had been pumped before that ?

Ask Tony McCoy what it felt like losing the National all those times as champion jockey and what it felt like when he won, after being dogged, determined, professional and keeping going.

Every winner, at some point, has had a defeat.......Rory McIlroy.....look at how he turned around his horrible Masters defeat, into a triumph not long after.

We've failed to lift that cup in 110 years, don't tell me we'll come back stronger.

Craig_in_Prague
22-05-2012, 10:52 AM
We've failed to lift that cup in 110 years, don't tell me we'll come back stronger.

Actually, under Pat Fenlon - I believe we will.

truehibernian
22-05-2012, 10:57 AM

We'll agree to disagree on that mate. I think we will. I think the penny has dropped. The 110 year thing.....was there before my birth, may be there when I pass. That aspect of Hibs has never ever concerned me. What's the major disappointment is the attitude and manner of defeat. But there were some who wanted a cup win in place of an SPL place.....just to end a 'hoodoo'.

Give me three/four cracks at Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Utd etc a season, and cup runs any day of the week. We pick ourselves up, get angry, and we go again.....we don't sit and dwell. Fenlon has that in his eyes. He'll be playing that game over and over this week and getting more and more determined for it never to happen again.

But the league is the bread and butter, and we have a season to look forward to and try and make amends. Some are really really hurt and I appreciate that fully. But I'm long in the tooth and there are more important things in life than the Scottish Cup.....for me amyway. That's not to say it didn't hurt badly watching it.

Hibercelona
22-05-2012, 10:59 AM
We'll agree to disagree on that mate. I think we will. I think the penny has dropped. The 110 year thing.....was there before my birth, may be there when I pass. That aspect of Hibs has never ever concerned me. What's the major disappointment is the attitude and manner of defeat. But there were some who wanted a cup win in place of an SPL place.....just to end a 'hoodoo'.

Give me three/four cracks at Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Utd etc a season, and cup runs any day of the week. We pick ourselves up, get angry, and we go again.....we don't sit and dwell. Fenlon has that in his eyes. He'll be playing that game over and over this week and getting more and more determined for it never to happen again.

But the league is the bread and butter, and we have a season to look forward to and try and make amends. Some are really really hurt and I appreciate that fully. But I'm long in the tooth and there are more important things in life than the Scottish Cup.....for me amyway. That's not to say it didn't hurt badly watching it.

I don't want a Scottish Cup win in place of an SPL place.

I want both. As a fan, I demand it.

Just_Jimmy
22-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Actually, under Pat Fenlon - I believe we will.

So do I. I believe the real good that's come from this is that the fanbase is united in disgust at the attitude of the players and culture at the club. I think we now will back the manager to the hilt in his attempts to stamp this out.

No one is safe, from the board room to the bottom. We'll hound them out if need be.

edinburghhibee
22-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Why are you so sure this 5-1 will be the turning point?

I was at Tynie when they ****ed us 5-1 the last time and nothing changed not a thing I was at Tynie for both 2-0 defeats this season nothing changed. 3-1 at home I could go on for hours...

Hibs dont ever learn, an I'm sick of it. We supposably had 4 players on that park who claim to be hibs supporters not one of them turned up. They are an embarrassment to the fans and club.

If I don't see any of them in a hibs shirt ever again that will be fine.

Onion
22-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't want a Scottish Cup win in place of an SPL place.

I want both. As a fan, I demand it.

I think that's a very reasonable expectation for a club of Hibs size and stature - why should we accept anything less. In fact, if any official at the club things this is unrealistic then they should walk now.

IMHO, with the Hun situation and all the ramifications of that, Scottish Football is about to go through massive change in the next few months and years. I also believe (as a result) that Hibs will come through this stronger and have many more opportunities in the next few years to reach the SC Final again, and that a Hibs v Hearts Cup Final will no longer be the 100 year event it has been. That is a massive threat to Hearts and perhaps the only thing that could exorcise the ghost of 19 May - a Hibs win v THEM in the SCF.

Hibs are not going to win the European Cup or even the SPL for that matter. We should set a single, focused goal (apart from SPL survival :wink:) to reach the SC Final every year in the hope we meet the Yams again. Next time we'll be ready.