PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Reilly

theonlywayisup
18-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Good article in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/9272832/Scottish-Cup-final-Famous-Fives-Lawrie-Reilly-hoping-for-Hibs-Holy-Grail-against-Hearts.html

“I think it’s because the guy that engraves the winners’ name on it cannae spell Hibernian,”

“I’ll be there and as loud as I can shout I’ll be shouting for the boys in green.”

What a fantastic gentleman!

HibeeMG
18-05-2012, 02:20 PM
When I was a kid, my Dad used to work at Crawfords the Bakers factory in Leith. Lawrie owned the Bowlers Rest pub just up the road.

Many a time my Dad would take me in there for a coke and a game of pool (or six). Lawrie would come through and chat to us - I think he just wanted to get away from the moaning bassas in the main bar!

My dad was a non-attending Jambo but I was a Hibby through and through even then. I always regret not asking Lawrie more questions about his time at Hibs. But, it was a great pleasure being in his company so many times and he always made us feel welcome.

He couldn't play pool for ***** though! :wink:

theonlywayisup
18-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Maybe he just let you win!:cb

HibeeMG
18-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe he just let you win!:cb

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. :wink:

superfurryhibby
18-05-2012, 02:53 PM
When I was a kid, my Dad used to work at Crawfords the Bakers factory in Leith. Lawrie owned the Bowlers Rest pub just up the road.

Many a time my Dad would take me in there for a coke and a game of pool (or six). Lawrie would come through and chat to us - I think he just wanted to get away from the moaning bassas in the main bar!

My dad was a non-attending Jambo but I was a Hibby through and through even then. I always regret not asking Lawrie more questions about his time at Hibs. But, it was a great pleasure being in his company so many times and he always made us feel welcome.

Lawrie Reilly, a true legend.

I lived in Elbe street as a laddie. The Bowlers Rest was just across the street. All the kids were pretty much Hibs daft and you can imagine how we responded when we saw the great man. He was always friendly and had time to say hello, even ocassionally demanding a kick of the baw. I've meet him a couple of times in recent years and I have to say he is a true gentleman.

It's funny because that Freddie Glidden, a Hearts stalwart of their great sides of the late fifties was the postmaster in Grove Street, where my Nana stayed, You couldn't get a more contrasting approach to the way to deal with fitbaw mad bairn's. The man was a fud of the highest order, although saying 7-o everytime you saw him probably didnae help!!