PDA

View Full Version : Controlled aggression

PPZPOL
18-05-2012, 10:32 AM
There's a lot of chat on the board about how everyone is feeling/displays before ko/how they are getting to Hampden/what they are having for breakfast etc etc which is great but I thought I would start a thread on the match itself, it's been overlooked slightly and probably rightly so but it's been on my mind for a few weeks now however I didn't want to post this too early before the match.

As the title suggests I hope our players can use controlled aggression during the game (look at JMcP for an example of what I'm talking about), all to often I feel we have players caught up in the atmosphere giving away silly free kicks with wee niggly bits and pieces here and there which slows things down and allows them to put all the weightlifters into the box and put us under pressure.

Emphasise has to be on picking up 2nd balls and not letting the midfield run off us easily, really really guilty of this in recent years. This includes 2nd balls into the box from throw in's, corners and free kicks.

Keeper NEEDS to be tested, he's in the papers saying he's number 1 BY DEFAULT and that he was nervous when he came into the team recently, which means he'll be a bag of jaggies tomorrow (he'll have a blinder now no doubt :shhhsh!:)

I'd like to see us keep the ball which I think we are capable of with the midfield players we have, aimless long balls from the back ARE NOT required. It's a mighty big park to be chasing the ball about so we ought to try and keep it, players scared of the ball tomorrow should look for a change of career at the end of the season please, this is what being a player is all about.

With the players we have - WE ARE DANGEROUS, we have genuine threats so let's be positive.

Not named any players above as it's not the time to be doing this, everyone who supports Hibs are behind them......give us something to shout about though, that includes tackling and closing down, WE (the fans) LOVE that aspect of the game and it gets us animated and noisy.

GGTTH - Hope everyone in the green side has a magic day tomorrow.

down-the-slope
18-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree with most of what you say. But its a myth thats perpetuated that Hampden is massively bigger

Easter road is 112x74 yards

Hampden is 115x75 yards

So no real excuse / reason to be getting stretched etc. Its all part of the mind stuff...if you start beleiving its some how massive and so you won't be able to close down etc then you wont...

Best recent example at Hampden was first half Falkirk v Celtic...Falkirk passed / kept the ball / and when not in possession they kept their shape and closed the space meaning Celtic looked poor...

Mikeystewart
18-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I think it was Mowbray who said "Fire in the belly, ice cool in the head"

PPZPOL
18-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I think it was Mowbray who said "Fire in the belly, ice cool in the head"

PERFECT!! Wish I had known that quote prior to my initial post as that sums it up without all the jibberish I put in! Exactly what I was trying to say so thanks for that MikeyStewart.

Hibs7
18-05-2012, 11:17 AM
"Keep the ball"

If we have it they cannot score.

Tyler Durden
18-05-2012, 11:27 AM
PERFECT!! Wish I had known that quote prior to my initial post as that sums it up without all the jibberish I put in! Exactly what I was trying to say so thanks for that MikeyStewart.

Doubt many people on here watch the tv show Friday Night Lights, about a Texan high school football team, but their motto is "CLEAR HEADS, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!". Paddy should get the DVD on pre match.

Totally agree with the OP, in recent derbies we've almost been suckered into too many booking and conceding fouls. The likes of Murray and Stevenson have almost been too eager to show the fans they care, by kicking folk off the park (Black in particular). We need to hunt in packs, hustle and not give Hearts time on the ball unless it's with their centre backs or Barr. I'd push Osbourne into an advanced role and ask him to practically man mark Black when Hearts have the ball. Make life difficult for him without committing silly fouls that Craig Thomson will be quick to punish.

Stevenson worries me and I just hope he can channel his energies properly, keep his discipline and concentrate on regaining and retaining possession. Whilst I'm not a big fan of his, he did the job superbly back in 2009 in our last derby win at Tynecastle, when he played Mikey Stewart off the park and was totally in control. We need a repeat of that and for Claros to also be at his best.

Hibs Class
18-05-2012, 11:31 AM
"Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence". So said Vince Lombardi, former American Football coach. Players and supporters need to believe.

Gatecrasher
18-05-2012, 11:42 AM
"Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence". So said Vince Lombardi, former American Football coach. Players and supporters need to believe.

See my Sig :flag:

Hibs Class
18-05-2012, 11:44 AM
See my Sig :flag:

:thumbsup:

proud_and_green
18-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Confidence from the outset. A jambo i know was speaking to Andy Driver post their semi final and apparently Mini had said that at the last Derby they won the game in the tunnel. When they looked across at our players they knew they couldn't lose.

we need to start like we mean business and keep professional and business like with the fire in the belly. We lost the semi versus them because of the red mist.

We need a David Sole approach - sho them we're going to win the game and then prove it!

Hibercelona
18-05-2012, 11:57 AM
"Keep the ball"

It really is that simple. :agree:

The main difference between a good team and a great team, is that you'll NEVER see a great team gifting the ball to the opposition in the middle of the park.

Lets hold onto the ball, frustrate Hearts and gradually carve up openings.

If we do this properly, we'll beat Hearts and we'll beat the comfortably.

Hearts only seem to score against us when we gift the ball to them.

Every Hearts goal is a Hibs mistake, lets not make any.

Wembley67
18-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Exactly when did we last go in to a derby supremly confident?? Many years ago that's when....it's in the bag the morn..AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS THE MORN!!

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

Mango Man
18-05-2012, 12:07 PM
crosses into the box have caught us out quite a bit in recent derby's, Webster is a real danger in these situations, I'm sure Mcpake should put a stop to that though. We need players like Ozzy, Soares and Claros to get the bit between their teeth and really give it 110%.

:flag:

Ell_Chrisso
18-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Doubt many people on here watch the tv show Friday Night Lights, about a Texan high school football team, but their motto is "CLEAR HEADS, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!". Paddy should get the DVD on pre match.

Totally agree with the OP, in recent derbies we've almost been suckered into too many booking and conceding fouls. The likes of Murray and Stevenson have almost been too eager to show the fans they care, by kicking folk off the park (Black in particular). We need to hunt in packs, hustle and not give Hearts time on the ball unless it's with their centre backs or Barr. I'd push Osbourne into an advanced role and ask him to practically man mark Black when Hearts have the ball. Make life difficult for him without committing silly fouls that Craig Thomson will be quick to punish.

Stevenson worries me and I just hope he can channel his energies properly, keep his discipline and concentrate on regaining and retaining possession. Whilst I'm not a big fan of his, he did the job superbly back in 2009 in our last derby win at Tynecastle, when he played Mikey Stewart off the park and was totally in control. We need a repeat of that and for Claros to also be at his best.

Coach Taylor in for the pre-match Inspiration talk!

Littlest Hobo
18-05-2012, 12:20 PM
We must turn up from the start this time.

We must not get bullied.

We must use controlled aggression

We must win our fair share of 2nd ball

We must try and play a passing game right from the word go.

Players must be brave, show for the ball, make unselfish runs, cover for others, take ball into feet.

Take the game by the scruff of the neck

The fans.... Make as much noise as is humanly possible.

Mon the Hibs

RiseAbove
18-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I haven’t posted anything about the final yet and haven’t read a newspaper all week, I’ve just wanted to be with my own thoughts and judgments about the match.

There is a forgotten American called Napoleon Hill who died in 1970 and was probably responsible for the revival of the American economy in the 1930's, anyway here is one of my favorite quotes of his:

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

To all those going to Hampden tomorrow have a great day and enjoy being part of a new chapter in our history.

Hibrandenburg
18-05-2012, 12:45 PM
"Keep the ball"

The German way!

Gatecrasher
18-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Coach Taylor in for the pre-match Inspiration talk!
The American pat fenlon :greengrin

TornadoHibby
18-05-2012, 01:36 PM
There's a lot of chat on the board about how everyone is feeling/displays before ko/how they are getting to Hampden/what they are having for breakfast etc etc which is great but I thought I would start a thread on the match itself, it's been overlooked slightly and probably rightly so but it's been on my mind for a few weeks now however I didn't want to post this too early before the match.

As the title suggests I hope our players can use controlled aggression during the game (look at JMcP for an example of what I'm talking about), all to often I feel we have players caught up in the atmosphere giving away silly free kicks with wee niggly bits and pieces here and there which slows things down and allows them to put all the weightlifters into the box and put us under pressure.

Emphasise has to be on picking up 2nd balls and not letting the midfield run off us easily, really really guilty of this in recent years. This includes 2nd balls into the box from throw in's, corners and free kicks.

Keeper NEEDS to be tested, he's in the papers saying he's number 1 BY DEFAULT and that he was nervous when he came into the team recently, which means he'll be a bag of jaggies tomorrow (he'll have a blinder now no doubt :shhhsh!:)

I'd like to see us keep the ball which I think we are capable of with the midfield players we have, aimless long balls from the back ARE NOT required. It's a mighty big park to be chasing the ball about so we ought to try and keep it, players scared of the ball tomorrow should look for a change of career at the end of the season please, this is what being a player is all about.

With the players we have - WE ARE DANGEROUS, we have genuine threats so let's be positive.

Not named any players above as it's not the time to be doing this, everyone who supports Hibs are behind them......give us something to shout about though, that includes tackling and closing down, WE (the fans) LOVE that aspect of the game and it gets us animated and noisy.

GGTTH - Hope everyone in the green side has a magic day tomorrow.

:top marks

Essential that our players stay cool in the head and show real but controlled aggression at the same time if we are to win the Final IMO! :agree:

We must press Hearts all over the park keeping a high line and never give them time on the ball to settle! The more we have of the ball the less chance they have to do anything offensive with it! :agree:

Sooner or later, Black will crack and retaliate and will end up with a card of one colour or the other which will either curtail his activity or put him back in the dressing room! :wink::greengrin:

C'moan Hibs, this match is there to be won by you guys provided you stick to the match plan and keep the shape at all times! :aok:

GGTTH

:flag: :flag: :flag: