PDA

View Full Version : Reflections at St. Patrick's

GORDONSMITH7
17-05-2012, 11:35 PM
We have made arrangements with the Father at St Patrick's, in the Coogate ,Little Ireland, who has very kindly agreed to open the Church early on Saturday at 8:00am for HIBS supporters who may wish to reflect on the history, roots and foundation of our famous HIBERNIAN FC prior to boarding our buses for Hampden Park and our date with destiny. St. Patrick's Branch members, RC, non RC and me the atheist Branch Secretary will have a wee reflection. Come along, all welcome.

BIG G

The Harp
18-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Nice touch GS7. Our spiritual home is a beautiful church and welcomes all. I was at St Pat's on Sunday and plan on looking in again today. A' these extra candles for a Hibs win on Saturday are costing me a fortune!:wink:

marinello59
18-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Nice one.

Pretty Boy
18-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Any chance the Priest can have a wee word with the big man upstairs too?

Every little helps and all that.

Jack Ferrigan
18-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Very nice touch GS 7. well done for telling us . A quiet moments reflection will be just the thing tomorrow am.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Will it be open today around 3ish?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Has to be one of the first places that the cup visits when we bring it back tomorrow.

JOD
18-05-2012, 08:40 AM
BIG G

Very nice touch unable to make it from Falkirk before game but say one for me m8.

Jim O'Donnell

ps., got my updated card -----Thank you----- cu all Sat/Sun------ :pray:

Jamesie
18-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Visited on Tuesday lunchtime, lit a candle, and spent ten minutes reflecting on the great Hibernians of yesteryear who had shared the same hall in which I sat. Would be lying if I said I wasn't a wee bit emotional on my walk back up the road.

hibeelin
18-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Popped in on Wednesday on way down to Hibs shop, lit some candles and sat and prayed for a while. Being the only one in the church felt like I had the Big Man's full attention. I swear as I opened my eyes and looked up to the alter I could picture McPake lifting the cup aloft - please God let it be a sign!

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2012, 09:47 AM
My wee Catholic pal has been lighting candles all over town this week. She also tells me that the priest in Musselburgh will be saying a "special" wee prayer at morning mass tomorrow. :agree:

RIP
18-05-2012, 10:15 AM
All my family were Old Town Southsiders as were my wife's (Waughs)

Got a real friendly reception when we popped in recently

Pretty Boy
18-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Going to pop in this afternoon I think.

Light a candle for all the Hibbies not there in body tomorrow.

A wee bit refelction on how far we have come from our beginnings.

Backto my roots
18-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Nice idea. Plan to pop in and light a candle for the Hibs and a dear friend who just passed away before the madness begins!

The Harp Awakes
18-05-2012, 11:06 AM
We have made arrangements with the Father at St Patrick's, in the Coogate ,Little Ireland, who has very kindly agreed to open the Church early on Saturday at 8:00am for HIBS supporters who may wish to reflect on the history, roots and foundation of our famous HIBERNIAN FC prior to boarding our buses for Hampden Park and our date with destiny. St. Patrick's Branch members, RC, non RC and me the atheist Branch Secretary will have a wee reflection. Come along, all welcome.

BIG G

Nice one Gordon. Hibernian are thankfully a diverse family of all creeds, non-creeds and colours but St Pats will always be a spritual home for the Club due to our roots:not worth

Barney McGrew
18-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I stopped off this afternoon on the way back from work. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I found it really calming just being there away from everything for a while thinking that I was sitting where it all started.

vercol36
18-05-2012, 04:35 PM
We've got a wee tour before getting on the train tomorrow: Up to the Meadows to see where the games used to be played, then down the Cowgate. Quick tip o' the cap to Blackfriar's Street (previous home to many a Hibee during the 'Little Ireland' era, St Patrick's (Home of the Hibs!) and Marin's funeral directors at the bottom of St Mary's Street (One of the only businesses still around that was in existence towards the end of the Little Ireland days, buried many Hibees/Irish/Italian/Edinburgh Catholics), then down the Mile and over Abbeyhill to the Holy Ground.

To lessen the impact of trudging around Edinburgh at 8 in the morning, a crate of beer will be in attendance.

MSK
18-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I stopped off this afternoon on the way back from work. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I found it really calming just being there away from everything for a while thinking that I was sitting where it all started.I went to the city mortuary to pick up my Dads death certificate a couple of weeks back then went straight over to the church ..it was so humbling to sit there for ten minutes. My mind was all over the place as I was riding a rollercoaster of emotion & grief, however my spirits began to lift after just a few minutes ...it really is an inspiring place & I felt at ease & in comfort the minute I walked through the gates..perhaps It was a reassuring hug from my late Mum & Dad ..or perhaps from a distant relative who played for hibs & who worshipped in the church not long after hibs creation ..whoever ..whatever ..you put me at ease ..thanks..

GGTTH ...

The Harp Awakes
18-05-2012, 08:23 PM
My wee Catholic pal has been lighting candles all over town this week. She also tells me that the priest in Musselburgh will be saying a "special" wee prayer at morning mass tomorrow. :agree:

I've never known Father McMullan to mention football before. Maybe he's a hibby after all:hibees

King Paddy
18-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Very nice touch GS 7. well done for telling us . A quiet moments reflection will be just the thing tomorrow am.

Gs7 i have been praying to St. Patrick all week and i might pop down tomorrow to light a candle
and wave you off to Hampden. Thinking about Paul Pia's aricle in the Scotsman this week about
the Jeusit Preist who predicted in 1955 that Hibs will win the cup on 2012. You just never know
it just might be our day.

Hibernia Na Eir
18-05-2012, 09:29 PM
We've got a wee tour before getting on the train tomorrow: Up to the Meadows to see where the games used to be played, then down the Cowgate. Quick tip o' the cap to Blackfriar's Street (previous home to many a Hibee during the 'Little Ireland' era, St Patrick's (Home of the Hibs!) and Marin's funeral directors at the bottom of St Mary's Street (One of the only businesses still around that was in existence towards the end of the Little Ireland days, buried many Hibees/Irish/Italian/Edinburgh Catholics), then down the Mile and over Abbeyhill to the Holy Ground.

To lessen the impact of trudging around Edinburgh at 8 in the morning, a crate of beer will be in attendance.

absolute class mate!
we were there today. Hibs' home can never be forgotten...

vincipernoi
18-05-2012, 09:59 PM
candle getting lit the morn

no danger i'll sleep in, or sleep at alll

marinello59
19-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Bump for those who may have missed this.
Heading there now.

Hibernia&Alba
19-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Whilst having no religious beliefs myself, I will unashamedly take any help going today. Get that Priest on overtime, as well as everybody else who might be able to help :greengrin

Betty Boop
19-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Fantasic piece .

http://blogfeast.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/and-in-the-beginning/