PDA

View Full Version : Question Any advice

Sir David Gray
16-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Just had some really bad news from my brother, he has a uni exam on Saturday from 2-5. He's looked into getting it deferred but if he says he has a funeral, they want a copy of the order of service/death certificate and if he says he's ill, they want a line from the doctor.

If he doesn't turn up, he's almost certain that he won't get a resit and then that will be 3 years of work down the shoot.

Just absolutely gutted for him and if I'm being honest, I really don't feel like going myself at the moment after us all really looking forward to it, as well.

The whole day's ruined for me now, if he can't go. :boo hoo:

Ryan91
16-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Just had some really bad news from my brother, he has a uni exam on Saturday from 2-5. He's looked into getting it deferred but if he says he has a funeral, they want a copy of the order of service/death certificate and if he says he's ill, they want a line from the doctor.

If he doesn't turn up, he's almost certain that he won't get a resit and then that will be 3 years of work down the shoot.

Just absolutely gutted for him and if I'm being honest, I really don't feel like going myself at the moment after us all really looking forward to it, as well.

Surely you could always fake a doctors note? :duck:

EDIT: Sudden and unforseen Family Emergencies may also work well

bawheid
16-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quite strange to be told of a uni exam so close to the event. I'd be raging. How's he supposed to revise when he's been told about it days before the actual exam?

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Horrible situation - I feel for you both. I have an exam on Monday but I can't concentrate on revision because of the final.

About the possibility of a resit - I take it he has to turn up? Can he not apply for a resit now or see a student support advisor and just say that he is very ill?

I guess there's different policies depending on the University ..

Seveno
16-05-2012, 01:03 PM

I feel for you. My brother is just getting out of hospital today and will not be well enough to attend. I'm totally gutted.

matty_f
16-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Quite strange to be told of a uni exam so close to the event. I'd be raging. How's he supposed to revise when he's been told about it days before the actual exam?

:agree: That's well tight. Would have thought uni's would give much more notice of important exams.

Tough one, FH. Not sure what I'd do in that situation other than maybe complain that 3 days notice isn't reasonably sufficient to arrange things for an exam.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Although I've just found out today, he's known about it for a few weeks but was going to say he had a funeral but obviously he had to wait until a few days before it before he told them as funerals are obviously not organised weeks in advance.

He thought he had nothing more to do than to tell them about the funeral but they want some proof before they'll authorise it.

LancashireHibby
16-05-2012, 01:10 PM
An exam.....on a Saturday?! World's gone mad.

easty
16-05-2012, 01:10 PM
If his dog was to die on the morning of the exam then he'd be far too distraught to do it. You can't possibly be asked to show them a doggy death cert!

PatHead
16-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Although it might not seem like it at the moment there are still more important things in life than the match on Saturday. Your brother's career comes into that category. What a double celebration to have- finishing Uni and Hibs winning the cup.

Wish him well and tell him you will see him in the pub afterwards and to be sure to get over to the student's union to see the second half. You will just need to shout twice as hard.

BTW there will be lots of folk on here willing to take his ticket.

Future17
16-05-2012, 01:12 PM

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Almighty this close to a Scottish Cup Final, an order of service can be produced easily enough. Look in the paper at the death notices, find out who is being buried/cremated on Saturday, make up an OoS for said person.

I appreciate it's more than a little morbid, but these are big stakes being played for.

Aside from missing the game, his exam performance will likely be rubbish as his mind will be elsewhere.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Horrible situation - I feel for you both. I have an exam on Monday but I can't concentrate on revision because of the final.

About the possibility of a resit - I take it he has to turn up? Can he not apply for a resit now or see a student support advisor and just say that he is very ill?

I guess there's different policies depending on the University ..

He's not 100% sure what his uni's stance is on not turning up. Some people are telling him he'll need to at least turn up to get a resit and others are saying he'll get one regardless.

If he's not going to get a resit then he's screwed.

Baba O'riley
16-05-2012, 01:13 PM

Is he 100% sure he won't get a resit? I missed my last exam for an HNC to go to France for the Scotland v Brazil game and did the resit in the August (might be different from missing a degree exam, and it was an English university)

Failing that, tell him to get to the docs before Saturday, and that he's suffering migraines due to stress, and to get a line....
During my standard grades, I stupidly got the times mixed up for Physics, and got a doctors line the next day to say stress had caused the confusion (in reality, just a major blonde moment!). Had to pay for it - £6 back in 1994, but whatever it costs these days, think it would be worth it if he makes it to the game!

Hope he gets it sorted...

Gez1875
16-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Although I've just found out today, he's known about it for a few weeks but was going to say he had a funeral but obviously he had to wait until a few days before it before he told them as funerals are obviously not organised weeks in advance.

He thought he had nothing more to do than to tell them about the funeral but they want some proof before they'll authorise it.

so has he already told them its a funeral?

lyonhibs
16-05-2012, 01:15 PM
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Almighty this close to a Scottish Cup Final, an order of service can be produced easily enough. Look in the paper at the death notices, find out who is being buried/cremated on Saturday, make up an OoS for said person.

I appreciate it's more than a little morbid, but these are big stakes being played for.

Aside from missing the game, his exam performance will likely be rubbish as his mind will be elsewhere.

:faf: One shouldn't laugh, but that's just about the most morbid, immoral thing I've seen on this place. Great idea though.

"Page 2 of the service sheet eulogised at length over Mr Hogoboogenanny's love of the great outdoors, and his lifelong affection for his home planet, Planet Zog"

WestEndHibee
16-05-2012, 01:15 PM

This is gutting. I thought I was in the same boat but my last exam is at 9.30 on sat so I'll make it just. They're really really strict about these things. I suppose the best he can do is send an e-mail explaining how much it'll affect his grade and the enormity of the situation and pleading for a chance to sit it at another time.

That or if he injures his arm between now and Saturday? :greengrin
If he can't write then they won't be able to find a scribe with this short notice.
It's extreme but effective and probably worth it.

muzzhfc
16-05-2012, 01:16 PM
go to the doctors and claim something like stress, sore back, etc. something that cant actually be diagnosed due to the symptoms being personal. then go to the match but make sure he is wearing a cap and sunglasses and a trench coat just incase someone recognises him

Thecat23
16-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Take along you're cup final ticket and say this.... I have waited all my life for this day, my club haven't seen this trophy being lifted for 112 years. Then show him a copy of some threads on kickback of how arrogant those toss pots are and that you want to ram it down their throat when big McPake walks up and lifts the trophy. He will prob pay you're taxi to Hampden. :greengrin

PatHead
16-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Still stand by my earlier post but the boy with a Doctor's line for stress is probably the best solution. Get an appointment for tomorrow, in to Uni on Friday and then he can relax. I think anyone who denies they have a bit stress just now would be telling porkies. If he gets any tablets can I get a few for Saturday morning! Thanks

jgl07
16-05-2012, 01:24 PM
He's not 100% sure what his uni's stance is on not turning up. Some people are telling him he'll need to at least turn up to get a resit and others are saying he'll get one regardless.

That sounds nonsense. Either you get a resit or you don't. Turning up and walking out after half an hour is little different from a no show.

Is it an examination that counts towards the final degree or is it a qualifying examination?

It is very rare to have no resits at all. In some cases a resit without approved personal or medical circumstances will be 'pegged' at 40% and this could cause the honours grade to drop.

An what ****witted place organizes exams for a Saturday afternoon?

Future17
16-05-2012, 01:26 PM
:faf: One shouldn't laugh, but that's just about the most morbid, immoral thing I've seen on this place. Great idea though.

"Page 2 of the service sheet eulogised at length over Mr Hogoboogenanny's love of the great outdoors, and his lifelong affection for his home planet, Planet Zog"

Stop it, you'll make me blush! :embarrass

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 01:26 PM

If he's not going to get a resit then he's screwed.

Aye, I think you have to turn up and fail to get a resit.

Has he got a student support advisor? If he could meet with one before the end of the week and tell them how bad he is feeling (mentally) then they might delay it for him..

HH81
16-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I just would have phoned them on the day saying I wad ill and gone to football.

They will defo have something in place for people to resit due to illness/emergency.

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 01:28 PM
That sounds nonsense. Either you get a resit or you don't. Turning up and walking out after half an hour is little different from a no show.

Is it an examination that counts towards the final degree or is it a qualifying examination?

It is very rare to have no resits at all. In some cases a resit without approved personal or medical circumstances will be 'pegged' at 40% and this could cause the honours grade to drop.

In some cases, you get a mark for writing your name.

marinello59
16-05-2012, 01:33 PM

If he has practiced going with the funeral thing best stick with it. Have you got any close relatives you don't like very much?

...WentToMowAnSPL
16-05-2012, 01:39 PM
If he has practiced going with the funeral thing best stick with it. Have you got any close relatives you don't like very much?

:chop::gun::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: lol !!!!!

essexhibee
16-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Hahaha that funeral idea is hilarious!

There is a website that does fake NHS doctors notes online. 25 quid 2day delivery it claims.

http://www.doctorsnotestore.com/

So realistic it was under investigation for fraud....

JimBHibees
16-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Take along you're cup final ticket and say this.... I have waited all my life for this day, my club haven't seen this trophy being lifted for 112 years. Then show him a copy of some threads on kickback of how arrogant those toss pots are and that you want to ram it down their throat when big McPake walks up and lifts the trophy. He will prob pay you're taxi to Hampden. :greengrin

LTYF :greengrin

JohnStephens91
16-05-2012, 02:01 PM

I couldn't complete an assessment for my course because I had a bad spell with sciatica and I was struggling to walk, I couldn't even make it to the bathroom without having to hold on to anything and it is about 10 steps from my room. Napier capped my re-assessment at 40% despite a valid medical line. Fortunately it was only second year so it only counted for me to continue on in my studies. If I were in the situation of having an exam this Saturday I would probably sit it, unless you have a way to get out of it without it potentially affecting your honours grade.

lapsedhibee
16-05-2012, 02:12 PM
In some cases, you get a mark for writing your name.

Ha! And people deny that educational standards are slipping. In my day you had to write your name and spell it right to get a mark.

As for the problem-with-your-hand-and-not-being-able-to-write excuse, that sounds a good 'un. Nip over to any Taliban stronghold, nick a can of coke in full view of the local plod, and shirley you'll be good to go.

Hibercelona
16-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Tell your brother to image Hearts winning the cup in his mind over and over again, this will make him sick enough to get a sick note from his GP. :sick:

--------
16-05-2012, 02:26 PM
What's a re-sit? :confused:

--------
16-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Seriously, he should find out whethr he gets a re-sit even if he doesn't turn up. If the University allows re-sits for no-shows, then he doesn't have to lie to them.

Otherwise I would go to the doctor, explain the situation as honestly as I felt able, explain that it's really doing my head in and ask for help - a line.

I wouldn't forge a funeral service-order - all the University have to do is telephone the crematorium and ask what hymns/songs/music the family had - crematoria keep records. So do ministers and anyone else who officiates at funeral services.

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Ha! And people deny that educational standards are slipping. In my day you had to write your name and spell it right to get a mark.

As for the problem-with-your-hand-and-not-being-able-to-write excuse, that sounds a good 'un. Nip over to any Taliban stronghold, nick a can of coke in full view of the local plod, and shirley you'll be good to go.

:hmmm: I still think the mental health is the best one to go with.

Purehibee_MYB
16-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I feel for your brother.. I'm lucky enough that my last exam for the year is on saturday morning.. get out at 11.30 and straight on the train to glasgow.. Might not get the best of marks due to the nerves but at least I'll be there.. dunno how he'd manage to get out of it though..sometimes you just need to prove your attendance at the exam to get the resit

DH1875
16-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Are doctors open on a Saturday? He can go see the doctor on Monday and still get a line. All he has to say is that it was one of them 24hr things and he woke up on Saturday with bad stomach ache and **** flying out him. Tell him to tell the doctor he needs the line cause he didn't want to go to the exam in case he **** himself. I'm sure the doctor will understand :greengrin.

s.a.m
16-05-2012, 03:16 PM
No useful advice to offer, but on a similar theme, Ian Cameron sat one of his Law finals the morning of their Scottish Cup victory, in which he came on as a sub.

jgl07
16-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Aye, I think you have to turn up and fail to get a resit.

I have never come across a rule like that and have worked in the University sector for 35 years. Exam fails, and no shows are all treated the same.

Remember that a University is judged on its completion rate. They lose cash for poor completion rates, quite rightly.

So they are hardly going to erect artificial barriers to completion to the effect that someone who reads the examination timetable wrong or misses a train will fail their degree.

They may penalize the student in some way such as capping the grade in the resit but that is a different matter.

JimBHibees
16-05-2012, 03:21 PM
What's a re-sit? :confused:

:greengrin

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I have never come across a rule like that and have worked in the University sector for 35 years. Exam fails, and no shows are all treated the same.

Remember that a University is judged on its completion rate. They lose cash for poor completion rates, quite rightly.

So they are hardly going to erect artificial barriers to completion to the effect that someone who reads the examination timetable wrong or misses a train will fail their degree.

They may penalize the student in some way such as capping the grade in the resit but that is a different matter.

At my university I'm sure it is the rule that you have to turn up.

Mon Dieu4
16-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Ditch your brother, its us in the Scottish cup final, id murder mine if you guaranteed us a win Haha!!

yeezus.
16-05-2012, 05:41 PM
It's getting to the point now where I can't concentrate on anything else... I have an exam on Monday and every time I look at the Economics book I see a scoreline.

neilmartinrocks
16-05-2012, 06:00 PM
can you no arrange a wee vehicle -v- pedestrian scenario?
worked for a friend of mine a while back and that was a court case.
i would kill for a ticket but if you have one USE THE DAMN THING!!!