PDA

View Full Version : Des Bremner send his support for the final

Tom Hart RIP
16-05-2012, 12:07 PM
http://irishnewsreview.net/

What a player Des Bremner was. One of the worst transfers ever from Easter Road. We would never have been relegated with Des in midfield. Ron Saunders the Villa manager said he was the most under rated player he ever signed and I wouldn't argue with that.
The Villa fans still love Des, even though he went on to play with Birmingham.
There can't be many players who have won a European Cup Final and started in the Highland League.
I met the late great Eddie Turnbull shortly before he died and he said that the current team needed a Des Bremner type more than anything else.

Hibs7
16-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Only 1 cap for Scotland " says more about the selection process than his ability"

I see nothing has changed then.

CropleyWasGod
16-05-2012, 12:12 PM

What a player Des Bremner was. One of the worst transfers ever from Easter Road. We would never have been relegated with Des in midfield. Ron Saunders the Villa manager said he was the most under rated player he ever signed and I wouldn't argue with that.
There can't be many players who have won a European Cup Final and started in the Highland League.
I met the late great Eddie Turnbull shortly before he died and he said that the current team needed a Des Bremner type more than anything else.

isnt that Tony Higgins in the pic? :confused:

hibbybrian
16-05-2012, 12:18 PM
isnt that Tony Higgins in the pic? :confused:

:agree: :greengrin

superfurryhibby
16-05-2012, 12:20 PM

I guess the move worked out well for Des!

It shows the standard of player around that time, that Des barely had a sniff of the international side. Not so sure that it was down to the selection process, there was also glut of top level midfielders to compete against.

With hindsight, it was a foolish move to let him go. The team went into a shocking and rapid decline on his departure ( I think the had qualified for Europe the previous season?)

marinello59
16-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I guess the move worked out well for Des!

It shows the standard of player around that time, that Des barely had a sniff of the international side. Not so sure that it was down to the selection process, there was also glut of top level midfielders to compete against.

With hindsight, it was a foolish move to let him go. The team went into a shocking and rapid decline on his departure ( I think the had qualified for Europe the previous season?)

We had been in decline long before Des Bremner left. He remains one of my all time Hibs heroes and it has long been a source of pride for me that I attended the same school as him. (Several years after him.) When I first saw Scott Brown I thought he had it in him to be the next Des Bremener. As it turns out he hasn't come anywhere close.

gringojoe
16-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Des was one of my first Hibs heroes, great player how he only got 1 Scotland cap is unbelievable just shows Levein isn't the only phanny to manage the national team.

Ryan91
16-05-2012, 12:47 PM
We had been in decline long before Des Bremner left. He remains one of my all time Hibs heroes and it has long been a source of pride for me that I attended the same school as him. (Several years after him.) When I first saw Scott Brown I thought he had it in him to be the next Des Bremener. As it turns out he hasn't come anywhere close.

I think that it may have been different if he went down south to ply his trade rather than heading west. Look at Fletcher from the same Era, goes down South and has had a pretty decent career, he'll probably be moving from Wolves come the transfer window.

Hibercelona
16-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Des was one of my first Hibs heroes, great player how he only got 1 Scotland cap is unbelievable just shows Levein isn't the only phanny to manage the national team.

If Levein was the manager of then, it would have been 0 caps.

gerry70
16-05-2012, 12:55 PM
:agree: :greengrin

yes -do you think they got the white pele mixed up with the highland pele?