PDA

View Full Version : Reduce 23 to 16

theonlywayisup
15-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Who misses out assuming that the 23 players taken away to Dublin are as listed below? The seven that I think are in bold. There are going to be some disappointed players. Like Fenlon says, the starting eleven picks itself, but the real challenge is picking the five subs and seven who don't make it.

Brown

Doherty
Hanlon
McPake
Kajabi

Claros
Soares
Osbourne
Stevenson
Griffths
O’Connor

Grant (sub)
O’Hanlon (sub)
Doyle (sub)
Sproule (sub)
Francomb (sub)

Wotherspoon
Booth
Murray
O’Donovan
Stephens
Towell
Stanton

I assume that the players not in Dublin are Galbraith, Caldwell, Smith and Monaghan

easty
15-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd have Wotherspoon on the bench.

random sub
15-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Shame if Wotherspoon misses out. Think he can add needed energy to the team as a sub so would perhaps favour him over Francombe.

theonlywayisup
15-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd have Wotherspoon on the bench.

Who would you drop for him? Sproule? Francomb?

At The Edge
15-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I would say that Grant, Doyle and Francomb will take 3 of the spots, not sure of the other 2, although my feeling is Sproule and O'Hanlon.

Pats got some choices to make thats for sure!
:pfgwa

Franck Stanton
15-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Think your assessment could be right. personally I would rather take Wotherspoon in place of O'Hanlon as if we need central defence cover for an injury to [god forbid] McPake or Hanlon then Docherty could easily be moved over and either Spoony or Francome used as r/b. Spoony also gives us option to be played at r/wingback.

Purple & Green
15-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd be surprised if odonovan, Doyle and sproule all make the bench if you assume the team is as per the first post.

easty
15-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Who would you drop for him? Sproule? Francomb?

If Doherty is 100% fit then I'd not give O'Hanlon a spot on the bench.

Jamesie
15-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Looking at that bench I think you've got to give Ian Murray a berth on it - both in terms of his versatility in terms of the positions he can cover and, on a less practical note, his passion and his willingness to sacrifice himself and take a red card if Hertz are on the break after 85 minutes remaining and we're 1-0 up.

easty
15-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Looking at that bench I think you've got to give Ian Murray a berth on it - both in terms of his versatility in terms of the positions he can cover and, on a less practical note, his passion and his willingness to sacrifice himself and take a red card if Hertz are on the break after 85 minutes remaining and we're 1-0 up.

I'd be surprised if even Ian Murray thinks he'll get picked for the bench. No. Chance.

Jamesie
15-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Am I the only person who would be inclined to start Francomb at left back ahead of Kujabi? I like Kujabi but he can be a bombscare at times in terms of leaving gaps when he goes forward and given the pressure cooker atmosphere there will be at kick off time in this one I have some concerns as to how he'll react to that.

Elephant Stone
15-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Am I the only person who would be inclined to start Francomb at left back ahead of Kujabi? I like Kujabi but he can be a bombscare at times in terms of leaving gaps when he goes forward and given the pressure cooker atmosphere there will be at kick off time in this one I have some concerns as to how he'll react to that.

Kujabi frightens me when defending as well. Can Francomb play left back?

hopefulhibby
15-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Who misses out assuming that the 23 players taken away to Dublin are as listed below? The seven that I think are in bold. There are going to be some disappointed players. Like Fenlon says, the starting eleven picks itself, but the real challenge is picking the five subs and seven who don't make it.

Brown

Doherty
Hanlon
McPake
Kajabi

Claros
Soares
Osbourne
Stevenson
Griffths
O’Connor

Grant (sub)
O’Hanlon (sub)
Doyle (sub)
Sproule (sub)
Francomb (sub)

Wotherspoon
Booth
Murray
O’Donovan
Stephens
Towell
Stanton

I assume that the players not in Dublin are Galbraith, Caldwell, Smith and Monaghan

Booth doesn't even make your bench, last years POTY and now in your opinion he is not worth a place on the bench what do you think went wrong with him?

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Subs for me would be

Grant
Wotherspoon
O'Hanlon
Francombe
Doyle

I feel we need a central defender, so that gives us O'Hanlon. Francombe can play both full back positions and midfield, and gets in just before Sproule as i feel he's just better in defence than Sproule

Wotherspoon, again better than Sproule more comfortable on the ball and played very well when coming on in the semi.

Doyle because he's a forward, we need one on the bench and i see him coming on after 70 minutes for a tiring O'Conner.

I think Fenlon knows his team, and i suspect its down to either Sproule or Wotherspoon for the last substitute spot.

3pm
15-05-2012, 06:22 PM
The subs will be Stack, Towell, O' Hanlon, Murray and Galbraith. Failing that it'll be Grant, Francombe, Wotherspoon, Sproule and Doyle....in my opinion.

Hibs7
15-05-2012, 06:33 PM

nope I agree

hopefulhibby
15-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I also think Kujabi is a liability defending, i think Doherty leaves gaps as well which is why i think he was left out of the ROI UNDER 21s squad which he was not to pleased about, but he is a young lad with plenty of potential

martin63
15-05-2012, 07:44 PM
The subs will be Stack, Towell, O' Hanlon, Murray and Galbraith. Failing that it'll be Grant, Francombe, Wotherspoon, Sproule and Doyle....in my opinion.

Totaly agree with these subs but just have a feeling Doyle may miss out to O'Donovan and Wotherspoon to O'Hanlon

JohnStephens91
15-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Stack and Galbraith are injured

3pm
15-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Totaly agree with these subs but just have a feeling Doyle may miss out to O'Donovan and Wotherspoon to O'Hanlon

So in conclusion, you don't really agree!!!

TornadoHibby
15-05-2012, 11:29 PM
If Doherty is 100% fit then I'd not give O'Hanlon a spot on the bench.

:top marks

Murray on the bench instead of O'Hanlon for me! :agree:

Murray knows what Derby matches are all about and wouldn't let us down! :agree:

Saturdays Hero
15-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Grant & Doyle are 2 who are definitley gonna get the nod,but would also take Wotherspoon & Francombe just cant decide wether it would be Ivan or O'Donovan who was given the final spot :aok:

SteveHFC
15-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Brown

Doherty
Hanlon
McPake
Francomb

Soares
Claros
Osbourne
Stevenson

O'Connor
Griffiths

Subs:
Grant
Murray
Kujabi
Doyle
Sproule

Hibercelona
15-05-2012, 11:55 PM
I'd have Spoony in there over Ivan (Sorry Ivan).

But Ivan just hasn't had any impact at all.

LALthehibeeGAL
16-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Brown

Doherty
Hanlon
McPake
Francomb

Soares
Claros
Osbourne
Stevenson

O'Connor
Griffiths

Subs:
Grant
Murray
Kujabi
Doyle
Sproule

not Murray I know he is a Hibee but he is too emotional and the yams know how to play him Spoony defo instead pure and simply because he deserves it due to the game time he has had over the last few months he has been part of the team I like Murray but not for me on this occasion. apart from that yes to the rest.

martin63
16-05-2012, 04:22 AM
So in conclusion, you don't really agree!!!

I do agree I just don't think Fenlon will lol

Judas Iscariot
16-05-2012, 08:09 AM

And DW has ?

Howany goals and assists does he have this season?

IWasThere2016
16-05-2012, 08:38 AM
I agree with the OP, and it would be Sproule before Spoony for me.

erin-go-bragh87
16-05-2012, 08:43 AM

And Wotherspoon has?? He has no bite or any pace to talk of. Not sure what he would bring if he was to come on in the final!

marinello59
16-05-2012, 09:01 AM
And Wotherspoon has?? He has no bite or any pace to talk of. Not sure what he would bring if he was to come on in the final!

Watch the semi final again then.

Just_Jimmy
16-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I think we have to go 5 across midfield to compete, as this is where recent derbies have been lost.

My bench would be;

Grant, Wotherspoon, Kujabi, Doyle and Sproule.

Wotherspoon - can play Midfield or right back, if god forbid anything happens to McPake or Hanlon, Docherty can slide over.
Kujabi - left sided, can come on at Left Mid if need be also. I'd start Francombe as I think he's more solid at the back but crucially he'd give us a genuine threat at set pieces, corners and deep freekicks etc.
Doyle - I'll be honest, after the pars game I'd be tempted to start his energy over O'Connor as I think him and Sparky can hussle. O'Connor knows a derby tho, and still have the ability to score from nothing at times. Very useful sub and I have a feeling he'll play a massive part.
Sproule - Ivan knows what it means, he wants this and still has the pace to take a ball into to corner or give them a fright late on. He's still the closest thing we have to an impact sub at the club.

I think that gives us the best options to fix any problems or to change the game if need be. It also gives us options to see out the clock if we need to do that.

I should add, I am completely calm about this, I have none of the normal derby nerves as I haven't even considered what I'll do if we win.

I think the biggest asset we'll have on the day however is us, 20,000 of us want to WIN it. They simply just want us NOT to win. There in lies the difference.

sparkiedelpaco7
16-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Francomb

Soares Wotherspoon Claros Osbourne

O'Connor Griffiths

Grant
Murray
Sproule
O'Donavan
Doyle

Billy Whizz
16-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Unless he's injured Kujabi will start. He was our best player at the last Derby

NeilT
16-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I suspect Griffiths will be only change from Dunfermline game.

Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Claros
Osbourne
Stevenson

O'Connor
Griffiths

However, we tried to play 4-3-1-2 against Dunfermline with Soares floating in front of the three of
Osbourne-Claros-Stevenson and, despite the result, it just didn't work. Soares literally floated - barely getting involved - whilst the other 3 tried manfully to spread themselves across the park. We had huge gaps alternatively down each flank when they were pulled to the other side. Midfield really is the problem area for us. Too many players who want to play central and nobody really comfortable out wide (where Sproule should have been the main man but doesn't llok the player he was). I suspect we will look more like a 5 in midfield against Hearts (especially early on) with Griffiths asked to stay out left.

Subs for me will be:
Grant
Wotherspoon
Francomb
Doyle
Sproule

Fenlon will figure that we have 3 centre halfs in McPake, Hanlon and Doherty and cover for fullback in Francomb and Wotherspoon. So O'Hanlon will not make the 16.

Fergus52
16-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Brown

O'Connor Griffiths

Grant
Murray
Sproule
O'Donavan
Doyle

No Stevenson?

superfurryhibby
16-05-2012, 11:13 AM
And DW has ?

Howany goals and assists does he have this season?

Wotherspoon had a big impact when he came on in the semi, worthy of a place on the bench.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-05-2012, 11:41 AM
does anyone think claros should maybe not get a game due to not speaking english? communication for this match is crusial no?

squak
16-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Brown

O'Connor Griffiths

Grant
Murray
Sproule
O'Donavan
Doyle

have you been to easter road this season!? i can see why kujabi isn in the line up but he would have to be on the bench, and as for no lewis , madness! the hunger and drive lewis has can't be faulted! he is more than capable of winning this match on his own!

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2012, 11:46 AM
does anyone think claros should maybe not get a game due to not speaking english? communication for this match is crusial no?

Que?

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Que?

:aok:

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2012, 11:50 AM
:aok:

:greengrin To answer the question, i'd play him. He's better than any replacement we have. :thumbsup:

Brebners Bookie
16-05-2012, 11:53 AM

I may have agreed with you had Pa not played a blinder in the semi-final, he will be right up for it.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-05-2012, 11:56 AM
:greengrin To answer the question, i'd play him. He's better than any replacement we have. :thumbsup:

he needs to be on top form though. as obviously all of them do but for me its a big gamble to play a guy who is not able to communicate himself and others on and off the ball.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2012, 12:00 PM
he needs to be on top form though. as obviously all of them do but for me its a big gamble to play a guy who is not able to communicate himself and others on and off the ball.

I hear what you are saying, i'd just say i think he's ok with the communicating thing, i feel he does enough with that, and i cant think of anyone i'd play before him?

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I hear what you are saying, i'd just say i think he's ok with the communicating thing, i feel he does enough with that, and i cant think of anyone i'd play before him?

i havnt been to any of the derbies this season. did he play well in them?

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2012, 12:53 PM
i havnt been to any of the derbies this season. did he play well in them?

Not particularly, none of them have. :boo hoo: Saturday WILL be different.:pfgwa

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Not particularly, none of them have. :boo hoo: Saturday WILL be different.:pfgwa

i do beileve a different team will arrive at hampden park on saturday. :agree: :pfgwa

theonlywayisup
18-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Anymore thoughts on who will be the subs and who will miss out? This is going to be one of Fenlon's most important decisions.