PDA

View Full Version : Scotland, Wales and Ireland joint bid for 2020 Euro

PatHead
15-05-2012, 01:31 PM
In competition with Turkey and Georgia. Wonder if Easter Road would be considered?

Assume venues would Hampden, Millenium, Aviva, Croke Park, Parkhead/Ibrox Tesco and Aberdeen would have new stadium. Don't know the size of Cardiff City or Swansea grounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18069127

down-the-slope
15-05-2012, 01:43 PM
so thats the SFA found another reason to keep Rangers / Ibrox....:wink:

Nah seriously would be a goo tournament and popular tourist wise with these 3 countries....how they would fit in 3 hosts though :rolleyes:

when last bid ER was going to get temp 3 tier East (like in Belgium) to take it to 30,000 requirement...not sure thats possible now?

New Dons Stadium (again could be biuld with 5/10000 temp saets and reduced afterwards) Murryfield if CP in Dublin gets used..Cardiff is Swansea is 25,000 ish?

tartanhibee
15-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Don't know how this would work as I dont believe that we have enough mid-sized stadiums ie 30000-45000 between us. Also it would mean all three countries qualifying as hosts so would limit other places I know they are talking about extending the Euros but still think stadia would be our main issue. I would fully support this bid if it develops and let's be honest half of Turkey is not even in Europe.

HibeeMG
15-05-2012, 02:09 PM
I think a problem might be that UEFA/FIFA don't want any city having more than one venue. That would mean Hampden would be used and the other two dumps not.

I say problem but it actually works out okay!

Mon Dieu4
15-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Could possibly use murrayfield if we can't increase our capacity

Fergus52
15-05-2012, 02:50 PM
The current stadium requirements are two with 50000 seats, 3 with 40000, and 4 with 30000.

Fergus52
15-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Don't know how this would work as I dont believe that we have enough mid-sized stadiums ie 30000-45000 between us. Also it would mean all three countries qualifying as hosts so would limit other places I know they are talking about extending the Euros but still think stadia would be our main issue. I would fully support this bid if it develops and let's be honest half of Turkey is not even in Europe.

IF all 3, or even just two of the glasgow stadia were used I don't think it would be a problem.

However as someone already posted uefa don't like that

jonny
15-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I think a problem might be that UEFA/FIFA don't want any city having more than one venue. That would mean Hampden would be used and the other two dumps not.

I say problem but it actually works out okay!

Im sure they allow 2 per city

ScottB
15-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Scotland:

Hampden, Celtic Park, Murrayfield, temporarily modified ER or an excuse for public money to build a new Yamdome, Aberdeen Stadium, a joint Dundee Stadium?

Wales:

Millennium Stadium, Swansea or somewhere?

Ireland:

Aviva Stadium, the Celtic football stadium if allowed, dunno what else...

So yeah, if the tournament expands, which looks likely, especially if three hosts are going to work, we may struggle for enough smaller stadiums, the last thing we should be doing is wasting money on 30,000 plus seater stadiums in places like Inverness or similarly sized Welsh / Irish cities.

pentlando
15-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm sure Easter Road could have temporary corners on at least 3 out of 4 if needed. Wouldn't be far behind if we did that. No point extending ER permanently without the regular support needed to half fill it.

magpie1892
15-05-2012, 03:48 PM

FIFA didn't seem to have any problem in having nine of 12 2022 World Cup venues in Doha or its suburbs.

HibeeMG
15-05-2012, 03:52 PM
FIFA didn't seem to have any problem in having nine of 12 2022 World Cup venues in Doha or its suburbs.

As we're witnessing with the Rangers fiasco - money talks! :deal:

They might have changed their rules tbh. I just remember it being a problem last time.

ScottB
15-05-2012, 03:58 PM

They might have changed their rules tbh. I just remember it being a problem last time.

I think it's a more a concern at having enough facilities to support multiple stadia in one city; hotels, transport, restaurants etc. You would suspect Edinburgh and Glasgow could handle two stadiums each, but beyond that might be pushing it...

jgl07
15-05-2012, 04:03 PM
In competition with Turkey and Georgia. Wonder if Easter Road would be considered?

Assume venues would Hampden, Millenium, Aviva, Croke Park, Parkhead/Ibrox Tesco and Aberdeen would have new stadium. Don't know the size of Cardiff City or Swansea grounds.

Cardiff City's stadium holds 26,828

Swansea City's stadium holds 20,532 (similar to Easter Road).

magpie1892
15-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Touché

DH1875
15-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Johannesburg had 2 stadiums in the last word cup and so did Paris in 98. Don't think it's ever been an issue :confused:.

VickMackie
15-05-2012, 08:09 PM
We need to go for this. It would be excellent having this in the country.

HibeeMG
15-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Johannesburg had 2 stadiums in the last word cup and so did Paris in 98. Don't think it's ever been an issue :confused:.

Maybe it was an issue with having the three stadiums (Ibrox, Parkhead, Hampden) from the one city that was a problem. I'm definitely not making it up! :greengrin

jgl07
15-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe it was an issue with having the three stadiums (Ibrox, Parkhead, Hampden) from the one city that was a problem. I'm definitely not making it up! :greengrin

In 2020, there may only be two of those standing!

Sergio sledge
16-05-2012, 09:01 AM
There's plenty of GAA stadiums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaelic_Athletic_Association_stadiums) in Ireland with sufficient capacity.

Murrayfield and Easter Road (Temp capacity 30,000), Hampden and Celtic Park in Scotland
Aviva, Croke and AN Other in Ireland
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium (Temp capacity 30,000) and Liberty Stadium (Temp capacity 30,000)

Aviva, Hampden and Millenium stadiums to be used for semi finals and final. The respective FA's can argue over who gets the final.

Ritchie
16-05-2012, 10:13 AM
There's plenty of GAA stadiums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaelic_Athletic_Association_stadiums) in Ireland with sufficient capacity.

Murrayfield and Easter Road (Temp capacity 30,000), Hampden and Celtic Park in Scotland
Aviva, Croke and AN Other in Ireland
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium (Temp capacity 30,000) and Liberty Stadium (Temp capacity 30,000)

Aviva, Hampden and Millenium stadiums to be used for semi finals and final. The respective FA's can argue over who gets the final.

The final certainly won't be held at the current Hampden..... would have to be the Millenium Stadium IMO.

Hopefully by 2020 the SFA decide to build a new Hampden.:rolleyes:

Jones28
16-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Jeezo, Ireland could host it by themselves with those kind of grounds! :shocked:

DH1875
16-05-2012, 01:32 PM
The final certainly won't be held at the current Hampden..... would have to be the Millenium Stadium IMO.

Hopefully by 2020 the SFA decide to build a new Hampden.:rolleyes:

Final would def have to be in the Millenium :agree:. I'm no to fussed though, it's no like we'll be there :greengrin.