PDA

View Full Version : NHC Big Eck punted by Villa

Niffy
25-04-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2012/04/post_1.html

What a shame eh....

Mikey_1875
25-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Funny that the fans refer to him as 'the relegator'. He has had a very tough task with injuries and sale of key players without much backing to replace them! Think regardless of relegation or not he will be finished with them at the end of the season.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2012, 11:02 AM
What a shame. :fibber: GIRUY YA GJP.

Craig_in_Prague
25-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Would be quite funny if he relegated both halves of Birmingham in the space of 12 months.
Way to go Eck!

lord bunberry
25-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I quite like big eck I thought he did well when he was our manager bringing in guys like sauzee and latapy and he had the jambos in his back pocket wish he hadn't left for rangers but time heals and I always hope his teams do well

allmodcons
25-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I quite like big eck I thought he did well when he was our manager bringing in guys like sauzee and latapy and he had the jambos in his back pocket wish he hadn't left for rangers but time heals and I always hope his teams do well

I agree he put together a decent side at Hibs, but was supported by a board spending a serious amount of cash!

He's a mercenary b**stard. I hope he takes AV down.

lord bunberry
25-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree he put together a decent side at Hibs, but was supported by a board spending a serious amount of cash!

He is no different from any other manager do you think fenlon would stay if a big club came calling there is very little loyalty left in football money talks

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Terrible manager. it was a crazy decision by the Villa board to appoint him in the first place. He was hated from day one and it's bound to end in tears.

KeithTheHibby
25-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Agreed.

Putting aside him leaving Hibs this man also left Scotland to take over a pish team like Birmingham, a bigger sin in my eyes.

allmodcons
25-04-2012, 02:11 PM
He is no different from any other manager do you think fenlon would stay if a big club came calling there is very little loyalty left in football money talks

OK, they are all mercenary b**stards. Just so happens some are worse than others!

keep the faith
25-04-2012, 02:31 PM
He always jumps ship with his team on the slide. its caught up with him now. i liked him at hibs though.

jgl07
25-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Would be quite funny if he relegated both halves of Birmingham in the space of 12 months.
Way to go Eck!

He would have to go some to beat Billy McNeill's achievement in relegating two teams in the same season. He jumped ship at Man City in 1986 leaving them to relegation and moved on to Aston Villa and got them relegated too. He then went back to Celtic and won the double.

Twa Cairpets
25-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Yep, never mind the post-Hibs stuff, we bumped into him and the squad walking up a road in Stranraer a few hours before the 2nd game down there. He had the decency to stop, shake hands, thank me and the couple of guys I was with for travelling down and saying something along the lines of "hope you'll be walking to grounds in Aberdeen and Glasgow next year". didn't need to do it - "an awright lads" would have been fine, but thought it was dam' decent.

Part/Time Supporter
25-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Vote of confidence

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2749103,00.html

snooky
25-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Vote of confidence

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2749103,00.html

I'm sure he'll stay with Villa as long as they want him. He's that kind of guy :aok:

ancient hibee
25-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Would he be the first manager to take down 2 teams from the same city in successive years?

If he did he could take over at West Brom and complete the set.

Lucky_Jim
25-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I really don't know what to make of Eck as a gaffer. Over the years he's had some big highs - e.g. finishing 2nd with 'Well, most of his time with us, lots of trophies at the currents, those France games with Scotland, beating Arsenal to win the league cup with Birmingham. But he's also had some stinkers too - finishing 3rd with the currents, relegating Birmingham, current problems at Villa - and in most cases has left his clubs in dire straights only to land a cushy number elsewhere (usually bigger, richer teams). I used to think that he had a whole bundle of luck on his side (think two last day championship triumphs with rangers) but I'm beginning to think that it's all caught up with him now and his luck has well and truly run out.

Nonetheless, as much as I've tried over the years (especially when he left the Hibs and Scotland jobs) I really can't dislike the guy. In fact quite the opposite, I've always had a massive amount of time for him - as a player, manager and person. Most of my happiest memories of Hibs are from his time in charge (albeit, as another poster says, he was backed considerably by the board at that time) - he created a real feel good factor around the club, had us playing the most expansive and exciting football in Scotland for years and was a determined and inspirational leader. When my mate and I met him in France during Hibs' pre-season tour he could not have been more accommodating and generous to the fans. I've always had a great deal of respect for Big Eck and it's actually quite sad to see how tired, stressed and lacking in life he is these days. I sense that these could be his last few weeks in football management.

cabbageandribs1875
25-04-2012, 06:43 PM
i'd welcome eck back to ER :agree: when PF leaves to take over the Barcelona job after our impending SC final win :flag: :greengrin

lyonhibs
25-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Vote of confidence

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2749103,00.html (http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265%7E2749103,00.html)

So - if past form re: the sincerity of "votes of confidence" in the footballing world are anything to go by - he won't make it to May in the Villa job then :greengrin

Hiber-nation
25-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I really don't know what to make of Eck as a gaffer. Over the years he's had some big highs - e.g. finishing 2nd with 'Well, most of his time with us, lots of trophies at the currents, those France games with Scotland, beating Arsenal to win the league cup with Birmingham. But he's also had some stinkers too - finishing 3rd with the currents, relegating Birmingham, current problems at Villa - and in most cases has left his clubs in dire straights only to land a cushy number elsewhere (usually bigger, richer teams). I used to think that he had a whole bundle of luck on his side (think two last day championship triumphs with rangers) but I'm beginning to think that it's all caught up with him now and his luck has well and truly run out.

Nonetheless, as much as I've tried over the years (especially when he left the Hibs and Scotland jobs) I really can't dislike the guy. In fact quite the opposite, I've always had a massive amount of time for him - as a player, manager and person. Most of my happiest memories of Hibs are from his time in charge (albeit, as another poster says, he was backed considerably by the board at that time) - he created a real feel good factor around the club, had us playing the most expansive and exciting football in Scotland for years and was a determined and inspirational leader. When my mate and I met him in France during Hibs' pre-season tour he could not have been more accommodating and generous to the fans. I've always had a great deal of respect for Big Eck and it's actually quite sad to see how tired, stressed and lacking in life he is these days. I sense that these could be his last few weeks in football management.

Good post. He could have signed any old mercenaries for us but he picked 2 of the best we'll ever see.

What I don't understand is how he's gone from an attacking manager who's teams tried to play fast flowing attacking football (Hibs, Scotland) to so utterly negative and long-ball (Birmingham and Villa). And £8m for Zigic....well what can you say!

smurf
25-04-2012, 08:44 PM
He left a mess at Easter Road. Actually a complete shambles in the dressing room.

He was first approached and interviewed for the job at Liquidated in the October.

Part/Time Supporter
26-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Get the eck out of here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/25/aston-villa-fans-alex-mcleish

Steve20
26-04-2012, 06:50 AM
I like McLeish. My favourite time going to Hibs matches was during his time as manager.

Having said that, Aston Villa shouldn't be anywhere near a relegation fight.

Kaiser1962
26-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm sure he'll stay with Villa as long as they want him. He's that kind of guy :aok:

:tee hee:

Kato
26-04-2012, 08:29 AM
He could have signed any old mercenaries for us

He did.

but he picked 2 of the best we'll ever see.

He did.

Phil D. Rolls
26-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Would he be the first manager to take down 2 teams from the same city in successive years?

If he did he could take over at West Brom and complete the set.

Willie Ormond, although to be fair he was appointed Hibs boss with about four games left to go.

3pm
05-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Is there reason McLeish didn't sack them?! Alex has got history of making big decisions at this time of year when his team have big games coming up.

Onceinawhile
05-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Because they didn't get in a car drunk and drive down princes street the wrong way?

truehibernian
05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Because they didn't get in a car drunk and drive down princes street the wrong way?

Being an uber pedant here....it was Circus Lane, not Princes Street. Near to where Russell stayed. Spoke to him afterwards and he claimed he and Dwight were getting 'chased by papparazzi'. I think he should have been sacked for driving a Beetle to be honest......never a real man's car :-)

s.a.m
14-05-2012, 09:55 AM
The Times Understands......

Koom
14-05-2012, 10:03 AM
The Times Understands.........could be....in talks this morning, after all, has only won 7 games all season....

weecounty hibby
14-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Villa ST holder of many tears that I know says that he and his sons aint going back if Eck is still there next year. Apparently not an uncommon feeling with the Villa fans.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2012, 11:03 AM
He's shown the loyalty of a cat to Motherwell, Hibs, Scotland and Birmingham previously.

Can't really have any complaints if the Villa board act in the same way as he has.

Jim44
14-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Villa ST holder of many tears that I know says that he and his sons aint going back if Eck is still there next year. Apparently not an uncommon feeling with the Villa fans.

............... a nice wee Freudian slip. :greengrin

J-C
14-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Also being mentioned on SSN, mutual agreement seemingly................aye right :greengrin

Jim44
14-05-2012, 11:10 AM
He's shown the loyalty of a cat to Motherwell, Hibs, Scotland and Birmingham previously.

Can't really have any complaints if the Villa board act in the same way as he has.

Is his premise not " I'll stay as long as the fans want me."

J-C
14-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Is his premise not " I'll stay as long as the fans want me."

Did they ever want him though.?

cad
14-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Once Kean gets dipped from Blackburn he will be in there

Hibs Class
14-05-2012, 11:19 AM

:agree: Difficult to choose between him and McGhee in terms of disloyalty.

Albion Hibs
14-05-2012, 11:33 AM
This guy would fall into the clyde and come out with a salmon.

In fairness I am surprised he did not do better with them, but have no doubt he will end up getting himself another club with no difficulty at all.

Koom
14-05-2012, 12:02 PM
....he has left, according to BBC news..

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Its a shame. :fibber: :giruy:

tomhorn
14-05-2012, 02:36 PM
...boo-hoo

LancashireHibby
14-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Surprised he lasted that long. Calderwood, the sweet shop is open!

HibbyAndy
14-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Paul Lambert for the joab :dunno:

LancashireHibby
14-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Paul Lambert for the joab :dunno:
Not if Norwich have anything to do with it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18057488).

HibbyAndy
14-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Not if Norwich have anything to do with it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18057488).

No danger id leave Norwich for Villa.:no way:

GordonHFC
14-05-2012, 02:47 PM
"i'll be here as long as they want me" backfired this time.

Baader
14-05-2012, 02:53 PM
"i'll be here as long as they want me" backfired this time.

Haha! :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2012, 02:58 PM
The ginger judas prick will probably roll up at Pittodrie soon.

chorley_fm
14-05-2012, 03:44 PM
The ginger judas prick will probably roll up at Pittodrie soon.

or back at the current buns :cb

Eyrie
14-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Good news for Villa.

Ginger Judas found out again.