PDA

View Full Version : Levein exiles Steven Fletcher permanently

TrickyNicky
13-05-2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4313170/Craig-Levein-Hes-had-his-last-chance.html

Haymaker
13-05-2012, 02:55 AM
What a prick.

Spike Mandela
13-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Fletcher just needs to bide his time until this horrible wee mans time is over in charge of Scotland. probably by Christmas.

Septimus
13-05-2012, 04:44 AM
If Levein thainks that Kenny Dalglish is the best player that Scotland ever had he obviously knows little about football.

bighairyfaeleith
13-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Levin hasn't considered fletcher for over a year so this story is complete bollox

Sooner levein gets the boot the better

Allant1981
13-05-2012, 06:11 AM
IMO he is the best striker scotland has had in a few years and for potter not to pick him is just nuts, wonder if he would be like this if fletch played for his mob or one of the OF

lapsedhibee
13-05-2012, 06:12 AM
If Levein thainks that Kenny Dalglish is the best player that Scotland ever had he obviously knows little about football.

Assistant at Stoke would be more his natural role. Never manager of a national side.

KeithTheHibby
13-05-2012, 06:56 AM
He goes on about guidelines and parameters for the squad yet left out GoC and picked Goodwillie despite both having impending court cases hanging over them?

A total hypocrite if ever I saw one.

We may need to suffer another crap campaign under this roaster of a man however at the end of it he will be emptied for being another failure, scruffy yam tramp that he is.

H18sry
13-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Great we start a new qualifying campaign without the best striker available to us, Will Qualification and Levein still be with us come November,or will the Luxembourg game be Levein's successors first game in charge?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/12/scotland-craig-levein-steven-fletcher?newsfeed=true

franco
13-05-2012, 07:06 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4313170/Craig-Levein-Hes-had-his-last-chance.html

This clown should be sacked hasn't got a clue unless he wants to go the 1/10 route again

marinello59
13-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Why did he feel the need to make this statement if nothing has changed other than to stroke his own ego? He says he wants no distractions yet stokes the fire on this one again. Fletch is better off out of it.

Beefster
13-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I've defended Levein about the whole Fletcher situation but his comments in that article are pretty classless.

Tha Cabbage Kid
13-05-2012, 07:17 AM
i think craig levein is a good scotland manager. but he is acting like a twat.

to even say he is not the best player scotland have ever had is pretty poor from our national manager.

fletcher has every oppertunity to be the best player scotland have ever had but hes not playing for scotland so how can this idiot say this? i think its down right disrespectful in my book. i always believe 'respect earns respect' and with him acting like this i have no respect for this guy.

Pretty Boy
13-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Good.

Fletcher is developing into a top quality striker. The further he's kept away from that clown Levein the better.

Levein wont be Scotland boss much longer, eventually the blazers and press will wake up to the fact his record is pretty poor and the 'improvements' are mostly wishful thinking. If the next manager picks the best players available to him then we see some actual improvement.

grunt
13-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I can't afford to go into this campaign with the same distractions I've had in the last one

Is he blaming Fletcher (or the Fletcher "situation") for Scotland's failure to qualify for the Euros?

Scouse Hibee
13-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Who in your opinion is?

Malonga's Cat
13-05-2012, 07:24 AM
He's losing a great player for the national team through choice. He's dour. He showed double standards over the goodwillie/o'connor issue. His results haven't been exactly great. He played a 4-6-0 for Pete's sake!!

Horrible wee man.

Jim44
13-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I've defended Levein about the whole Fletcher situation but his comments in that article are pretty classless.

The man doth protest too much.

carnoustiehibee
13-05-2012, 07:47 AM
At least levein was man enough and told fletcher himself he won't be picking him and didn't get Stuart reagen to do it...oh wait.

He also says fletcher side of the story will most defiantly be in the papers in the coming weeks. The best thing for fletcher to do is stay silent and do his talking on the park

Twa Cairpets
13-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Is it just me, or should part of this clowns job not involving meeting with the Fletcher and at least speaking to him? I assume from the tone of the exchange that this hasn't happened.

Levein is a total trumpet. Never forget this is the man who played ultimate anti football with his 4-6-0. That is the unforgivable sin.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Personally think Levein is spot on. You don't send a text to say you don't want to play for your country. Once it done you should apologise. Fletch has had over a year to get in touch but has chosen not to. Time to move on.

TheMentalHibees
13-05-2012, 08:03 AM
This is baloney. If Fletch was Messi or Ronaldo, theres no way potter would be keeping this up. Fact is, he's limiting Scotland's chances by not selecting him. It's up to him if he'd rather play kenny miller up front for every game. Think it was Mick McCarthy who came out and called it right, that it's all so childish and should be put to bed.

hibbygraham
13-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Fletcher excludes himself for selection from a meaningless friendly due to club commitments. Levein: indication that the player does not respect Scotland.

Ferguson and McGregor get boozed-up on international duty then give the nation the viccies like petulant schoolboys when dropped. Levein: they deserve a fresh start.

Infallible logic, as ever. What else would you expect from the visionary who played a 4-6-0 formation against our biggest rivals for qualification. :aok:

Col2
13-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Levein is a bitter little scote who is one of the most boring, narrow minded football managers Scotland has ever seen. Funny how he comes out with this exclusive a week before our big cup final, eh? Wouldn't put it past him just for a sly dig. No doubt he will be in BBC studio on Saturday telling viewers how he still has a special relationship with the blooded turds.

Can't wait to wipe the smile from his ugly face at 5pm Saturday. He may deserve a wee song especially if fletch is at the game.

Part/Time Supporter
13-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Personally think Levein is spot on. You don't send a text to say you don't want to play for your country. Once it done you should apologise. Fletch has had over a year to get in touch but has chosen not to. Time to move on.

The players are picked by text. Why is a text message not a legitimate form of communication?

Levein was looking for an excuse not to pick him, after Fletcher (correctly) criticised him for the 4-6-0 in Prague. Levein then left him out of the next squad, for the game against the Faroes where everyone and their grannies withdrew due to injury. Levein has since persisted with this petty grudge while it has become plainly obvious that Fletcher is Scotland's best attacking option.

Levein is a disgrace to football and will be found out big time in the WC qualifiers.

Greentinted
13-05-2012, 08:31 AM
This is a man who, in a playing career spanning 15 years, won the square route of diddley squit; matched by a managerial record of 12 years (excepting 6 manager of the month awards over a period in Scottish domestic football of approx 100 months - he achieved nowt at Leicester).
This abject failure must, however, be given credit for his audacity and arrogance given that, as can be seen by his shabby appearance, clearly has trouble managing his own daily ablutions.
Craig Levein will be remembered by posterity as the Nick Griffin of international football management: a small minded bigot of limited cognisance and impecunious communication skills, in short - an all-round national embarrassment.

Matt92
13-05-2012, 08:37 AM
What s slimy litte reptile Levein is,

He knows Fletch is taking the piss out of him as 99% of the people in the country (bar the 1% hearts fans) would rather boot Levein and get Fletch in than this and he is embarrassed.
As a few have said, the speccy freak will be punted soon enough, he has been a glorious failure as a manager, playing some of the most eye-bleeding and negative football to grace our shores. Its only a matter of time and as a few have said, the further this **** is away from Fletchers development, the better.

Once Levein loses the Scotland job, hes finished.

essexhibee
13-05-2012, 08:42 AM
So a striker who has score numerous goals in pish teams in the premier league and he's not going to be considered.

Levein your a genius :aok:

Pretty Boy
13-05-2012, 08:47 AM
This is a man who, in a playing career spanning 15 years, won the square route of diddley squit; matched by a managerial record of 12 years (excepting 6 manager of the month awards over a period in Scottish domestic football of approx 100 months - he achieved nowt at Leicester).
This abject failure must, however, be given credit for his audacity and arrogance given that, as can be seen by his shabby appearance, clearly has trouble managing his own daily ablutions.
Craig Levein will be remembered by posterity as the Nick Griffin of international football management: a small minded bigot of limited cognisance and impecunious communication skills, in short - an all-round national embarrassment.

He's hard and no nonsense though.

Broke his own team mates nose once and banned players at Hearts from wearing white boots.

That's the kind of thing that matters.

BarneyK
13-05-2012, 08:49 AM
The players are picked by text. Why is a text message not a legitimate form of communication?

Levein was looking for an excuse not to pick him, after Fletcher (correctly) criticised him for the 4-6-0 in Prague. Levein then left him out of the next squad, for the game against the Faroes where everyone and their grannies withdrew due to injury. Levein has since persisted with this petty grudge while it has become plainly obvious that Fletcher is Scotland's best attacking option.

Levein is a disgrace to football and will be found out big time in the WC qualifiers.

:top marks The man is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Greentinted
13-05-2012, 08:55 AM
He's hard and no nonsense though.

Broke his own team mates nose once and banned players at Hearts from wearing white boots.

That's the kind of thing that matters.

Aye fair play, only right to balance things out. :greengrin

Saorsa
13-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Levein is a disgrace to football and will be found out big time in the WC qualifiers.:top marks

A prick of the highest order and a yam prick at that. What a ****in' tool and Scotland will suffer for it, sooner that ****in' jakey yam prick is oot the door the better.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/Misc/potterbf4.gif

smurf
13-05-2012, 09:02 AM
He's a petty horrible individual.

DarrenSQH
13-05-2012, 09:06 AM
I find it impossible to properly support Scotland with that bawbag in charge.

God Petrie
13-05-2012, 09:08 AM

The detail that is conveniently left out of all stories about the text are that Fletcher tried to phone first, left a message on the answering machine and also sent a text. Levein has deliberately massaged the story to make it seem like Fletcher was disrespectful to Scotland when in reality he is holding a grudge about the 4-6-0 fiasco.

As much as Levein dislikes it, Fletcher won't disappear and his inability to manage this situation together with his 4-6-0 will be the legacy of his managerial spell.

BEEJ
13-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Fletcher excludes himself for selection from a meaningless friendly due to club commitments. Levein: indication that the player does not respect Scotland.

Ferguson and McGregor get boozed-up on international duty then give the nation the viccies like petulant schoolboys when dropped. Levein: they deserve a fresh start.

Infallible logic, as ever.
:agree: Perfect summary!

:agree: That's the issue in a nutshell.

I find it impossible to properly support Scotland with that bawbag in charge.
:agree: I used to have some respect for Levein and thought he was a fairly intelligent Manager who could do a job for the national side.

Unfortunately he cannot seem to handle the media attention that comes with this high-profile post and is becoming ever more petty and petulant with every passing international fixture.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Levein has come across as two faced here, begging the huns to come back but ignoring Fletcher. If he does not rate him, fair enough, but he's talking pish as usual. Good managers are good man managers too, clearly he's lacking in both man management and integrity. :jamboak:

Mikeystewart
13-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Will most likely get pelters but how can anyone blame Levein over this? Fletcher has had 15 months to get back in touch and say I want to play. He hasn't done that, Scotland have to move on, hopefully it will put an end to the constant asking of the Fletcher question. If Fletcher wanted to play he would have been in the squad months ago. If anyone thinks Levine's stance is because he is ex-hibs, then you are out of your tree. There are plenty of ex-hibbies in the squad.

Bostonhibby
13-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Levein will secretly be quite happy about this, he has been out the news/limelight for a while and is back in it briefly and he has an opportunity to take a swipe at Fletcher when actually given how this one has unfolded he could have said nothing and just gone on not selecting him!

I have recently been trying to get to Scotland games when I can as its always great, the fans really don't deserve the manager we have, the sooner this petty, negative, blame anyone but me inadequate is gone the better.

Pretty Boy
13-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Will most likely get pelters but how can anyone blame Levein over this? Fletcher has had 15 months to get back in touch and say I want to play. He hasn't done that, Scotland have to move on, hopefully it will put an end to the constant asking of the Fletcher question. If Fletcher wanted to play he would have been in the squad months ago. If anyone thinks Levine's stance is because he is ex-hibs, then you are out of your tree. There are plenty of ex-hibbies in the squad.

Maybe Fletcher was upset that Levein deliberately manipulated the situation to make him look bad and showed total double standards after publicly dropping his pants round his ankles for McGreggor and Ferguson?

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Fletcher will move to another Premiership club in the summer, hopefully a bigger club. He will continue to score goals in the hardest league in the world, and by leaving him out, Levein will continue to look a dick ignoring him, and failing to qualify again.

Hopefully he's sacked.

hfc rd
13-05-2012, 10:41 AM
The guy is a fud. I just don't care about the national team now. I really hope Croatia, Belgium, Serbia, Wales etc absolutely rip our country or in other words our half Scottish half English team. The sooner this fud is out the door, the better.

Fletch has been excellent down in the prem. You take his goals out and wolves would have well under 15 points and they would have been relegated by Xmas. Where is Levein going to find a player who wants to play for Scotland ( never mind eligible ) with Stevens talent?

He brings back the drunk hun cowards called mcgregor and ferguson who disgraced our country with their childish acts. Levien knew what they did but thought they deserved another chance. Ferguson said no and I think all of us remember how hard levien tried to make this alcoholic hun to change his mind.

Levien is hardly the best manager our nation has ever had and yet there is another failing in him. He plays the big autocrat as if were are certainties to qualify for the world cup in Brazil. But we are NOT. We are a million miles away. You look at the other teams in our group and look at their players. Levien thinks the current crop are capable of handling Modric, Olic, Kompany, Hazard, Vertonghen, Witsel, Bale, Ramsay etc. Deary me. When Scotland fail to qualify for the world cup, I hope the fans and the stupid sfa boot levien out the door.

Eyrie
13-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I expect Fletcher to play well in the Olympics, and that will be Levein's next pathetic excuse when Fletcher continues to score regularly in the English Premiership.

killie-hibby
13-05-2012, 10:45 AM
This is farcical. Levein as an international manager should be a bit more mature and accept responsibility for selecting the best players available. It does not matter how text messages or any other form of communications from Fletcher are interpreted. What matters is the Scotland team. Levein, not Fletcher is the manager, therefore it is his responsibility to make contact and resolve any issues or misunderstanding. Leveins pride is damaging to Scotlands chances of success. Or maybe he doesnt rate Fletcher. In that case he should come out and state he has selected a better player.
Whatever the outcome Levein has damaged his own reputation by allowing an issue to be personalised. Levein is very lucky to have the support of the sycophantic weegie media despite his results being no better than the previous manager. Had Fletcher been a former Rantic player the same weegie media
would be screaming for his inclusion, currently he is villified by them.

Bristolhibby
13-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Anything less than a great start by Potter an he will be out.

Conceivabley being sacked by October. Defeats to Serbia, Wales and Belgium. Unfortunately another 4 years till Scotland could get to a tournament.

EURO 2016 in France.

J

Paisley Hibby
13-05-2012, 11:00 AM

I don't think it's because he's an ex-Hibby - it's because he dared to criticise Potter about the Prague formation. Even although Fletcher had praised him for other things - eg his training methods. Like all arrogant men of limited ability Potter cannot take criticism nor can he ever admit he is wrong. The sooner he is gone from the Scotland job the better. It's just a pity that there will be another major tournament we will not qualify for before he gets binned.

hibsbollah
13-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Its a little known fact that Levein gets his scruffy patchy jakey beard look by smearing glue on his chin and cheeks and lying under a barbers chair to catch the falling clippings.

Hibercelona
13-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Typical anti-football jamboid.

I hope Fletcher goes nowhere near Scotland while that clown is manager.

Sammy7nil
13-05-2012, 11:49 AM

I agree players have far too much power in the game.
The manager should pick the team and decide the tactics if he fails he will be sacked.

Chelsea and even Hibs playersrin recent years moaning about managers training methods tactics etc get ma goat.

No way am I supporting Harry I think he is a twat but he is the manager and if Fletch wants to play he should have apologised and got on with it.

We all slated Ferguson and McGregor would Fletch be getting the same support if he now played for one of the Old Firm?

P.S. Fletch is a good player but talk of a Great player is far too soon

Sammy7nil
13-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't think it's because he's an ex-Hibby - it's because he dared to criticise Potter about the Prague formation. Even although Fletcher had praised him for other things - eg his training methods. Like all arrogant men of limited ability Potter cannot take criticism nor can he ever admit he is wrong. The sooner he is gone from the Scotland job the better. It's just a pity that there will be another major tournament we will not qualify for before he gets binned.

So is it okay for any or all players to openly criticise their managers tactics as long as they say something nice first :confused: Would it not be better to talk directly to the manager or raise concerns at squad meetings keeping conflict it in house?

I really do not think it is acceptable for players to have random PUBLIC pops at the manager and then expect to be part of the team.

Baader
13-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Levein is a fool. He obviously has a problem with strikers.

The fact he set up a Scotland side without one in a game we should have been looking to win, let alone draw, should have seen him out of a job. Unfortunately for all of us we have to endure this clown a bit longer...

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree players have far too much power in the game.
The manager should pick the team and decide the tactics if he fails he will be sacked.

Chelsea and even Hibs playersrin recent years moaning about managers training methods tactics etc get ma goat.

No way am I supporting Harry I think he is a twat but he is the manager and if Fletch wants to play he should have apologised and got on with it.

We all slated Ferguson and McGregor would Fletch be getting the same support if he now played for one of the Old Firm?

P.S. Fletch is a good player but talk of a Great player is far too soon

I think we are slating Levein because of his double standards, Fletcher did not play for the bigot brothers, so is not being begged to come back by him and the media.

Fletch might not be a great player, but he's good enough to walk into this Scotland side. The manager should be doing his utmost to solve this problem imo, he has now mind you, but that again imo shows just how much he's a clown by his actions today.

What good has him saying what he did today done, other than ostracise Fletcher, and cause a divide in the support?

I agree with you, Levein is a twat. :greengrin

Sammy7nil
13-05-2012, 12:03 PM

I agree with you too re Kenny D if peeps do not think he is the best Scottish player after looking at his achiements, I would be Very interested to know who others think was better player over such a long career?

Part/Time Supporter
13-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I think we are slating Levein because of his double standards, Fletcher did not play for the bigot brothers, so is not being begged to come back by him and the media.

Fletch might not be a great player, but he's good enough to walk into this Scotland side. The manager should be doing his utmost to solve this problem imo, he has now mind you, but that again imo shows just how much he's a clown by his actions today.

What good has him saying what he did today done, other than ostracise Fletcher, and cause a divide in the support?

While it was a Mexican stand-off between the two I could sort of see why some people had sympathy for Levein. By saying what he has in today's press he has well and truly jumped the shark. He's made obvious what I suspected all along, that he had a grudge against Fletcher after Prague and has been primarily to blame for their dispute.

Paisley Hibby
13-05-2012, 12:18 PM
So is it okay for any or all players to openly criticise their managers tactics as long as they say something nice first :confused: Would it not be better to talk directly to the manager or raise concerns at squad meetings keeping conflict it in house?

I really do not think it is acceptable for players to have random PUBLIC pops at the manager and then expect to be part of the team.

Fair point but in this case I think Fletcher was right. All he did was express disappointment at Scotland playing with no strikers in the 1-0 defeat against the Czech republic - this as as part of a bigger article covering a range of things. As today's Sunday Times points out, he was hardly alone in questioning that tactical approach.

For what it's worth, I don't think Scotland would be any more likely to qualify for the next World Cup even if Levein were to select Fletcher. In my opinion, our problem is Levein. He has been appointed to a job that is well beyond his abilities. He is tactically weak and inflexible which results in negative, boring and uninspiring football. Never forget that he was seconds away from the worst result in Scottish history against Lichtenstein at Hampden. The sooner we are shot of him the better.

Sammy7nil
13-05-2012, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Paisley Hibby;3223617

For what it's worth, I don't think Scotland would be any more likely to qualify for the next World Cup even if Levein were to select Fletcher. In my opinion, our problem is Levein. He has been appointed to a job that is well beyond his abilities. He is tactically weak and inflexible which results in negative, boring and uninspiring football. Never forget that he was seconds away from the worst result in Scottish history against Lichtenstein at Hampden. The sooner we are shot of him the better.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, it is almost difficult to support Scotland with this clown in charge.

Sir David Gray
13-05-2012, 12:30 PM
If I was Steven Fletcher, I would be delighted with this news.

Craig Levein is an utter disgrace to football management, he did nothing for us in the European Championships qualifiers and he'll do nothing in the World Cup campaign either.

His attempts to get Allan McGregor and Barry Ferguson back in the fold after they were given lifetime bans from the SFA a few years ago was a total embarrassment and his refusal to select Garry O'Connor at the beginning of the season, when he was on a fantastic run of form, on the basis that he would not pick players who were facing criminal charges was admirable, if it wasn't for the fact that he picked David Goodwillie when he still had a rape charge pending against him.

When that was pointed out to him, Levein weasled out of it by saying that he wasn't aware of the charges Goodwillie faced, which was blatant lies as far as I'm concerned.

The man is a complete embarrassment to Scotland and football in general and the quicker we can remove this petulant little child from his position, the better and then we can bring in a manager who actually knows what he's doing, we can get Fletcher back in and then we might stand a better chance of actually qualifying for tournaments.

Under this idiot, we're going nowhere.

Hibby cal
13-05-2012, 12:54 PM
This is total school boy stuff
It's ma ba an your no playing
Under this yams guidance were
Going nowhere fast.his tactics
In the 4-6-0 game made us
A laughing stock around the world.
Hope fletcher bangs the goals in at
The Olympics and next season just
To ram it down this p***** throat

SteveHFC
13-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Potter is a prick. He is losing Scotland's best striker

.Sean.
13-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I hope Scotland lose every game they play under that petty Hearts. Imagine Fletcher banged in 15-20 goals next season (which IMO he'd be well capable of at a bigger club than Wolves) and he was still being left out the squad? Can't wait for the day that speccy twat gets his jotters from the SFA.

Albion Hibs
13-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Potter is a complete tw@t. He is clearly raging that the Rangers situation has been taking all the media attention from his ugly mug so he has chosen to throw a big headline in there to see if anyone looks to see what he is saying.

Pash off harry.

GoldenMeerkat
13-05-2012, 05:04 PM
The whole Scottish football set up, from the senior team all the way down to the under 17s is a complete shambles.
Look at James McCarthy, a disgrace that a player with his abilities was never considered for the Scotland under 17's, even though he was a regular in the Accies team as a 16 yrs old.

This whole Fletcher situation sums up Scottish football.

weecounty hibby
13-05-2012, 05:07 PM
What Potter conveniently forgot to say when he told the press that SF pulled out via text was that he actually was told he was the squad via text.
Potter in my opinion was a very poor choice as Scotland manager. Absolutely no track record of success and plays very limited defensive football. A negative boring man who plays negative boring football. While I could never wish Scotland to lose, I hope we are shot of this idiot soon.

All of that and he is a class A Jambo twat.

NOLA
13-05-2012, 05:21 PM
harry potter = :jamboclow:trumpet:

The Modfather
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM
A question I've posted on numerous debates on this subject, which folk constantly fail to answer is - why did Fletch pull out of the squad? To focus on the weekends relegation battle with Wolves? How is it that Berra managed to play in that friendly AND for Wolves a few days later, helping both teams to wins but Fletcher wasn't capable of doing likewise?

I was over in Dublin for said game. Why should I pay my money to watch my national team only for players to pick and choose when they can be bothered playing. Same applies for watching Hibs abd the players attitude the last x number of years.

Neither one of Fletch or Levein have come out of this with any credit, two petty men acting like schoolchildren. Levein has, rightly, got it tight on this subject, but like Kris Boyd, it is personally alien to me how you can turn down a cap for your country. Managers come and go, but you are playing for your country, not a specific man, regardless of your opinion on him.

Hibercelona
13-05-2012, 05:33 PM
A question I've posted on numerous debates on this subject, which folk constantly fail to answer is - why did Fletch pull out of the squad? To focus on the weekends relegation battle with Wolves? How is it that Berra managed to play in that friendly AND for Wolves a few days later, helping both teams to wins but Fletcher wasn't capable of doing likewise?

I was over in Dublin for said game. Why should I pay my money to watch my national team only for players to pick and choose when they can be bothered playing. Same applies for watching Hibs abd the players attitude the last x number of years.

Neither one of Fletch or Levein have come out of this with any credit, two petty men acting like schoolchildren. Levein has, rightly, got it tight on this subject, but like Kris Boyd, it is personally alien to me how you can turn down a cap for your country. Managers come and go, but you are playing for your country, not a specific man, regardless of your opinion on him.

Was Flecther not angry at the lack of game time he was getting?

What would have been the odds of him travelling over there with the Scotland squad, only to be wasted away on the bench due to that negative fud?

OxoHibby
13-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Levein is quite simply a muppet.

BEEJ
13-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Do you get an international cap sitting on the bench? :greengrin

VickMackie
13-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Fletcher has been retweeting stuff today and it seems that he's their most highly rated player for many years.

Pity Potter is an arse.

rockysrovers
13-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Was wasn't it fletcher who said he didn't want to play for Scotland. Only has himself to blame not being included. Surely it's wrong to pick and choose when you want to wear the jersey. Wear it once wear it for life through thick and thin
just my opinion

Green Cabbage 7
13-05-2012, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;3223212]Who in your opinion is?[/QU
OTE]

The Legend in Green and white "Gordon Smith" best scottish player by far stated by other legends and of course alex ferguson try reading his book prince of wingers

Sylar
13-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Brilliant news, as it means he won't be in the squad to face us in Jacksonville at the end of the month :greengrin

I see both halves of the argument I guess, but I think Levein is wrong. To have a serious chance at winning games/qualifying, Scotland need the strongest squad available to them and Fletcher is one of the best strikers we've produced in recent years.

I presume the SFA won't have any recourse to intervene here?

The Modfather
14-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Out of curiosity, and playing devils advocate, how would people have felt if Callum Booth had asked not to be considered for selection on Saturday because he couldn't be bothered traveling to Inverness only to sit on the bench, didn't have faith in the manager based on his results since January and thought his tactics were inept?

Would that be understandable, and he'd be welcomed into the cup final squad next week?

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Out of curiosity, and playing devils advocate, how would people have felt if Callum Booth had asked not to be considered for selection on Saturday because he couldn't be bothered traveling to Inverness only to sit on the bench, didn't have faith in the manager based on his results since January and thought his tactics were inept?

Would that be understandable, and he'd be welcomed into the cup final squad next week?

Completely different, Booth is employed by Hibs.

JimBHibees
14-05-2012, 10:19 AM
What Potter conveniently forgot to say when he told the press that SF pulled out via text was that he actually was told he was the squad via text.
Potter in my opinion was a very poor choice as Scotland manager. Absolutely no track record of success and plays very limited defensive football. A negative boring man who plays negative boring football. While I could never wish Scotland to lose, I hope we are shot of this idiot soon.

All of that and he is a class A Jambo twat.

Conveniently indeed. The fact he has felt the need to come out with this is cringeworthy at best. Personally think both are at fault in some way however to me a better manager would have tried to make an effort with Fletcher given that we arent exactly choc full of quality strikers. I think Potter earlier in the season used an excuse that Fletch wasnt playing regularly for Wolves as a reason not to pick him, when Fletch started banging them in in one of the strongest leagues in the World this excuse was never used again.

Now this childish nonsense about texting. Levein has IMO come out of this appallingly in regard to not trying to sort out differences with the player and if he had and Fletch then refused then he could genuinely said he tried and claimed some moral ground. To not even make an effort is embarressing and in total contrast to his previous shameless begging to Ferguson and McGregor, two guys who genuinely did disgrace the National team. I think the fact that these players played for Rangers is a factor as there is no chance on this earth that if Fletch was donning the light Blue in Govan or the green and white hoops that he would have dared treated him the way Fletch has been treated. Shocking IMO.

JimBHibees
14-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Pretty sure Kenny Miller was also vocal of the no striker tactics but remains a regular.