PDA

View Full Version : Who is Tom English??

kj79
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Talking about us on phone-in show talking like we are no-hopers for next week 'hope Hibs can at least make it competitive' etc!!

Clown

fat freddy
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
he has a column in the scotland on sunday...back page of the sports section...usually quite good...think hes irish

neilmartinrocks
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Talking about us on phone-in show talking like we are no-hopers for next week 'hope Hibs can at least make it competitive' etc!!

Clown

is that no the diddy who works for the scotsman?

Golden Bear
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Clown

He's a secret agent.

It's all part of the grand masterplan to install an even greater sense of complacency amongst the players and loonies down piggery park way.

stoneyburn hibs
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Clown

He is actually a decent journo , i also heard him say that so lets prove him wrong next week , GGTTH

Hibercelona
12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
The more reasons we have to prove people wrong, the better.

Saorsa
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Clownwho gives a **** what anybody who isnae Hibs says, **** them all. :agree:

:flag::flag:

hibsbollah
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
He's that rare thing, a good journalist working in Scotland.

I like people talking us down.

BarneyK
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I agree that we go into the match as underdogs but some of the waffle has been ridiculous. The Daily Mail referred to us as "massive underdogs" yesterday. Have folk not been watching the Yams this season, they're utterly mediocre. And yes, probably still better than us right now, but gie's a break...massive underdogs :flag:

ancienthibby
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
He's that rare thing, a good journalist working in Scotland.

I like people talking us down.

There's more than one LARGE contradiction in that post!

Care to re-assess??:greengrin

lucky
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Look we are underdogs. We have been awful this season and finished on our lowest position in a 12 team SPL. Most us have slated the way we have played and never turn up against them. So any outsider will be predicting a win for them but this is our time.
GGTTH

joe breezy
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Hibs are terrible, we're in the final by beating 2 lower league teams and a very poor Aberdeen side

Any journalist with a brain will be predicting defeat for Hibs

Jim44
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't think he was being too dismissive of us. Remember that we have been spectacularly bad this season with very little to commend us. The Jambos have been mediocre but have had their moments of success. If I were a neutral I would expect them to win. Our slight improvement recently removes us from the 'giantkiller' status, should we win but the neutrals will be surprised if we do. Personally I'm quite happy with the way things stand as all the pressure is on them.

H18sry
12-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Hibs are terrible, we're in the final by beating 2 lower league teams and a very poor Aberdeen side

So we never played Killie then :rolleyes:

TheEastTerrace
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
For those saying that everyone and sundry tipping Hearts will heap pressure on them, there is also a flip side; the hype actually reaffirms their belief that they won't be beaten by us.

As anyone who's watched Hibs in the last 25 years can testify, that lot tend to have more faith in their abilities when it comes to winning derbies, whilst Hibs players see a maroon jersey and immediately go into some sort of meltdown.

There needs to be a calculated set of messages coming from the Hibs camp that instills doubts amid the Hearts' squad whilst also building our players' confidence.

truehibernian
12-05-2012, 06:13 PM

In every game in our route to Hampden, pundits and 'experts' have predicted a Hibs defeat - even v 'Beath and Ayr we were the tip for the giant kill.

We go in as underdogs v Hearts according to them all too - can only mean a Hibs win - I have thought we'd win regardless ever since the final outcome was decided. And we will win.

Nakedmanoncrack
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
He is actually a decent journo , i also heard him say that so lets prove him wrong next week , GGTTH

Comes across a lot better in priont than he does on the radio I have to say.

Hibercelona
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
For those saying that everyone and sundry tipping Hearts will heap pressure on them, there is also a flip side; the hype actually reaffirms their belief that they won't be beaten by us.

As anyone who's watched Hibs in the last 25 years can testify, that lot tend to have more faith in their abilities when it comes to winning derbies, whilst Hibs players see a maroon jersey and immediately go into some sort of meltdown.

There needs to be a calculated set of messages coming from the Hibs camp that instills doubts amid the Hearts' squad whilst also building our players' confidence.

Exactly.

We just love to tell our own players how useless they are while bumming Hearts up as much as possible before each derby.

Surely people have realized after all these years that it quite simply doesn't work?

Nuitdelune
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Comes across a lot better in priont than he does on the radio I have to say.

He does, always considered him decent in print--disappointed hearing him on radio especially on Your Call and Sportsound, has become a bit like the rest of that gang

Holmesdale Hibs
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I think him and Jim Traynor are normally good. Traynor is particularly good I expressing himself in a way that will wind up muppit old firm fans, which also has to be commended. Didn't hear the show today but a neutral calling us underdogs isn't unreasonable, so long as they have the good grace to admit they are wrong when we pump them next week.

Jonnyboy
12-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Radio phone in = say something controversial to attract calls

Written journalism = one of the very few in Scotland to have given it tight to Rangers re their situation and Celtic re their tumshie of a manager

bighairyfaeleith
12-05-2012, 08:02 PM
TBF he did come out in favour of sporting integrity during the show as well which won him brownie points for me.

As fas as I'm concerned, every ****er can think we will get beat, I don't care. For the first time that I can ever remember every hibs fan I know and have heard is quite clear we are going to win, we are going to beat hearts in the scottish cup final. Thats whats different this time, we BELIEVE and this time next week I will be dancing on the streets of leith one very happy, very fat, very hairy, very drunken smug *******!!!

Eire hibs
12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Good journo, from Munster originally. Heard what he said on the show and I did get a bit annoyed by what he said but know what he meant. Says it as he sees it in relation to the OF, so no surprise, given how we've performed this season, that he thinks Hearts are the more likely winners. He's wrong and when that's proven I'm sure he'll happily acknowledge that fact.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I think him and Jim Traynor are normally good. Traynor is particularly good I expressing himself in a way that will wind up muppit old firm fans, which also has to be commended. Didn't hear the show today but a neutral calling us underdogs isn't unreasonable, so long as they have the good grace to admit they are wrong when we pump them next week.

I can't agree about Traynor. For a senior journalist he is one of the least insightful journos on radio. To hear him try to analyse financial issues at Rangers is like a Hearts fan with a keyboard..just isn't going to makes sense :greengrin

HibeeMG
12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I can't agree about Traynor. For a senior journalist he is one of the least insightful journos on radio. To hear him try to analyse financial issues at Rangers is like a Hearts fan with a keyboard..just isn't going to makes sense :greengrin

.... or an iron! :lolyam:

Lang Toun Hibs
12-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Clown

I believe he is actually a hibbie - keeping the pressure off?

Sir David Gray
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
TBF he did come out in favour of sporting integrity during the show as well which won him brownie points for me.

As fas as I'm concerned, every ****er can think we will get beat, I don't care. For the first time that I can ever remember every hibs fan I know and have heard is quite clear we are going to win, we are going to beat hearts in the scottish cup final. Thats whats different this time, we BELIEVE and this time next week I will be dancing on the streets of leith one very happy, very fat, very hairy, very drunken smug *******!!!

Totally agree with this point.

We are going to hump them next week and we're going to be lifting the cup next Saturday!

'Mon the Hibees! :partyhibb

Tynie01011973
12-05-2012, 09:51 PM
2006 they thought beating us won them the Cup

Boy did Gretna make them shiit their pants.....****** Robbie Neilson [cant] stopped them gettin stuffed in normal time.

****'s were ****tin themselves in the penalty shootout.

Let them rattle on about beating us - make's it even more sweeter IF we do turn them over

:greengrin

Hibs07p
13-05-2012, 07:11 AM
2006 they thought beating us won them the Cup

Boy did Gretna make them shiit their pants.....****** Robbie Neilson [cant] stopped them gettin stuffed in normal time.

****'s were ****tin themselves in the penalty shootout.

Let them rattle on about beating us - make's it even more sweeter IF we do turn them over

:greengrin

I smell a Yam. :greengrin

It's our cup, no negativity please. "she's coming with us, back home to Leith"

GGTTH

Tranent Hibby
13-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Tom English if I remember correctly was the journo who was slated by Hibees fans after his article about Ivan's treble. If my memory is correct.

Hibs07p
13-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Tom English if I remember correctly was the journo who was slated by Hibees fans after his article about Ivan's treble. If my memory is correct.

By referring to him as "the Ulsterman" in his match report. :agree:
I think TE motives were questioned, in regard to why he highlighted Ivan's nationality, as he scored 3 goals against Ulsters favourite sons. Maybe us Hibbies were being a tad sensitive, or he was being a bit mischievous.

NAE NOOKIE
13-05-2012, 10:31 AM
He usually manages to bring OF fans back down to earth with a strong dose of reality on the radio as far as I can remember.

He is right ... Hibs are massive underdogs next Saturday and there is no use pretending we are not .... as a neutral he can only go by what he has seen this season .... the Yams are no world beaters, but their recent derby record and league position in relation to us suggests they will w..

But thats what makes football the game it is .... Bayern Munich v Chelsea Champions league final ... who would have predicted that prior to the semi finals? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2012, 10:38 AM
He usually manages to bring OF fans back down to earth with a strong dose of reality on the radio as far as I can remember.

He is right ... Hibs are massive underdogs next Saturday and there is no use pretending we are not .... as a neutral he can only go by what he has seen this season .... the Yams are no world beaters, but their recent derby record and league position in relation to us suggests they will w..

But thats what makes football the game it is .... Bayern Munich v Chelsea Champions league final ... who would have predicted that prior to the semi finals? :greengrin

We are not massive underdogs, the gimps are still 13/10, while we are 13/5. Massive favorites to me are when you are 1/5.

I dont listen to these clowns, we have a chance. We have a decent chance, they are slight favorites but are beatable.

Far bigger favorites get beaten every day of the week, this is our turn. :thumbsup:

joe breezy
13-05-2012, 11:01 AM
So we never played Killie then :rolleyes:

Okay, another bottom 6 team...

Point is that on paper we are the underdogs and I wouldn't expect any journalists other than the Sun Showbiz guy or Aidan Smith to be predicting otherwise...

It's better that way anyway, all pressure on them