PDA

View Full Version : Starting line up next Saturday

sbell1875
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Having got through today relatively unscathed (I'm crossing my fingers that Doherty is all right) what does everyone expect (or want) the line up to be next Saturday at Hampden?

Personally, here is what I would go with -

Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Kujabi (Francomb if Pa doesn't make it)

Soares Osbourne Claros Stevenson

Griffiths O'Connor

Subs: Grant, Booth / Francomb, Wotherspoon, Sproule, Doyle

My fear as it has been all season is a lack of width going forward and then in covering the full backs. Unfortunately all our best midfielders are central and those who could perhaps play out wide like Sproule, Wotherspoon don't deserve to start. There is also a distinct lack of genuine attacking threat going forward to support the front too. I feel that we would have seriously benefitted from a Bouzy type player in the middle pulling the strings.

However, if we play to our ability we CAN beat them. I am praying this comes true.

hfc rd
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Having got through today relatively unscathed (I'm crossing my fingers that Doherty is all right) what does everyone expect (or want) the line up to be next Saturday at Hampden?

Brown

Griffiths O'Connor

My fear as it has been all season is a lack of width going forward and then in covering the full backs. Unfortunately all our best midfielders are central and those who could perhaps play out wide like Sproule, Wotherspoon don't deserve to start. There is also a distinct lack of genuine attacking threat going forward to support the front too. I feel that we would have seriously benefitted from a Bouzy type player in the middle pulling the strings.

However, if we play to our ability we CAN beat them. I am praying this comes true.

Doherty is now doubtful.

sbell1875
12-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Doherty is now doubtful.

Yeah that will be a major blow and I would then go with - Francomb, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi (Booth if Pa can't make it).

I do rate Booth but he has been out of the picture for a long time. Although, there is the option to push Hanlon to left back and bring in Murray or O'Hanlon but I feel McPake & Hanlon is the best partnership available for centre back.

hfc rd
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah that will be a major blow and I would then go with - Francomb, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi (Booth if Pa can't make it).

I do rate Booth but he has been out of the picture for a long time. Although, there is the option to push Hanlon to left back and bring in Murray or O'Hanlon but I feel McPake & Hanlon is the best partnership available for centre back.

I rate Booth as well. I hope he still has a future at this club. But the thing that worries me is that he hasn't played a competitive match in ages and therefore will be lacking match fitness. Sergio will spot this and will think this the weak link and probably try and put someone with a bit of pace like suso or templeton on the right.

sbell1875
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I rate Booth as well. I hope he still has a future at this club. But the thing that worries me is that he hasn't played a competitive match in ages and therefore will be lacking match fitness. Sergio will spot this and will think this the weak link and probably try and put someone with a bit of pace like suso or templeton on the right.

Although 1 advantage of Booth is that I think he gets forward quite well and is capable of a half decent ball into the box. Although, I do not think we will have the lion share of possession next week nor do I think we will be in control of the game for long periods.

bingo70
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
----------------------brown------------------

doherty-------mcpake------hanlon-------kujabi

----------ozzie------claros-----stevenson-----

--------------------soares--------------------

-----------GoC------------griffiths

Littlest Hobo
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I think O'Connor will struggle with the size of the Hampden pitch.

My feeling is that we play 5 in the midfield with Griffiths up front on his own.

Or I'd play Doyle for 60 minutes, then unleash GO.

Barney McGrew
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I think O'Connor will struggle with the size of the Hampden pitch

Aye, he was terrible in the semi when he scored one and set up the other.

I'd be happy if he struggles next week and does the same.

basehibby
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Brown

Griffiths O'Connor

That IS the team IMO - with the subtext that Soares will be in the middle and Osbourne wider on the right.

I think there will also be a place for O'Donovan on the bench as well as a Centre Half
So Bench might read...
Grant, O'Hanlon, Francome, Wotherspoon/Sproule, O'Donovan, Doyle

We have a decent starting line up there but are very thin on the bench IMO - hopefully the starters get us a three goal lead so's there's no need to chase the game with impact players we basically don't have :greengrin

Fergus52
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

this:agree:

sbell1875
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
That IS the team IMO - with the subtext that Soares will be in the middle and Osbourne wider on the right.

I think there will also be a place for O'Donovan on the bench as well as a Centre Half
So Bench might read...
Grant, O'Hanlon, Francome, Wotherspoon/Sproule, O'Donovan, Doyle

We have a decent starting line up there but are very thin on the bench IMO - hopefully the starters get us a three goal lead so's there's no need to chase the game with impact players we basically don't have :greengrin

When will the SFA start to allow 7 substitutes for the cup competition. The SPL allows 7 so I don't see why it cannot be allowed! The bench is extremely important for next Saturday and with only 5 allowed I am at an actual loss who I would select for it.

My thoughts are that it should be 1 goalie, 1/2 defender(s) where one can play wide and the other central, 1/2 midfielder(s) where you maybe have a defensive one and an attacking one & 1 striker.

Littlest Hobo
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Aye, he was terrible in the semi when he scored one and set up the other.

I'd be happy if he struggles next week and does the same.

Not a popular choice I agree but we need to win the midfield

Judas Iscariot
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Brown

Doherty McPake(c) Hanlon Francombe

Soares Osbourne Claros Sproule

O'Connor Griffiths

Subs

Grant
Kujabi
Murray
Stevenson
Doyle

Vini1875
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Hampden is 115 x 75 yards
Easter Road is 112 x 74

Can't see what the problem is with pitch size, except of course we have struggled to play on our own pitch.

AlbertK86
12-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I think O'Connor will struggle with the size of the Hampden pitch.

My feeling is that we play 5 in the midfield with Griffiths up front on his own.

Or I'd play Doyle for 60 minutes, then unleash GO.

Well Gaz done Awright in the semi did he not. Set us on the road to victory I believe

scoopyboy
12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Doherty is now doubtful.

Says who?

Littlest Hobo
12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Well Gaz done Awright in the semi did he not. Set us on the road to victory I believe

I think this will be an entirely different type of game. Hearts will play a fast flowing up and at um.
100 mile an hour football, I just think Gaz tends to struggle to cover the ground and that Doyle might be a better option for at least 60 minutes.
Sounds like a plan.

AlbertK86
Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Ozzy
Claros
Soares
Stevenson

Sparky
GOC

Subs

Grant
Francomb
Murray
Doyle
O'Donovan

bighairyfaeleith
Hampden is 115 x 75 yards
Easter Road is 112 x 74

Can't see what the problem is with pitch size, except of course we have struggled to play on our own pitch.

I think hampden always seems a really wide pitch though, no idea why. However I think the width will suit us as it will give us time to play a bit more, hearts like small enclosed grounds.

Bob1875
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
After Monday's performance & looking at things over the course of the last 3 games, I hope Fenlon goes with Doyle & Griffiths up top. I know they will be against Webster but we can beat them on the ground. O'Connors touch is like a brick wall & this was proved many times against a 1st division team, this is overlooked due to the fact he's scores some valuable goals. We are not going to get many chances on Saturday.

scoopyboy
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I think this will be an entirely different type of game. Hearts will play a fast flowing up and at um.
100 mile an hour football, I just think Gaz tends to struggle to cover the ground and that Doyle might be a better option for at least 60 minutes.
Sounds like a plan.

Yes, a bad one.

Littlest Hobo
12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
After Monday's performance & looking at things over the course of the last 3 games, I hope Fenlon goes with Doyle & Griffiths up top. I know they will be against Webster but we can beat them on the ground. O'Connors touch is like a brick wall & this was proved many times against a 1st division team, this is overlooked due to the fact he's scores some valuable goals. We are not going to get many chances on Saturday.

I'm with you on this one Bob.

Hiber-nation
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Ozzy
Claros
Soares
Stevenson

Sparky
GOC

Subs

Grant
Francomb
Murray
Doyle
O'Donovan

That looks the most likely team but I would have thought Sproule and Spoony on the bench instead of Murray and O'Donovan. Not that there are many decent candidates. Francombe's set pieces and crossing are the best in the squad but I prefer Doherty and Kujabi defensively and I can't see him playing in midfield. Would have been great to see Ian lift the cup but I can't see any justification for him being in the 16.

Long Time Hibee
12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Brown

Doherty McPake(c) Hanlon Francombe

Soares Osbourne Claros Sproule

O'Connor Griffiths

Subs

Grant
Kujabi
Murray
Stevenson
Doyle

This. Think defensively Francombe is stronger than Pa and we need to be strong at the back as possible.

c'mon the Hibees

:flag:
:flag:

sparkiedelpaco7
12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Kujabi/Murray

Osbourne Soares Claros Francomb

O'Connor Griffiths

yekimevol
13-05-2012, 12:30 AM
First half.

brown
doherty mcpake hanlon francombe
carlos
soares stevenson ozzy kujabi
gazza

0-0

second half
brown
doherty mcpake hanlon francombe
soares stevenson ozzy kujabi
leigh gazza

2-0 leigh and gazza, and a FU**ER of a party at easter road.

davym7062
13-05-2012, 12:37 AM
the bottom line is if we had been playing motherwell or dundee utd we would be saying what a great chance we have of winning the cup. both these teams are better than hearts. bring it on:flag:

13-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I thought Kujabi was doubtful?

13-05-2012, 03:06 PM

:agree:

Billy Whizz
13-05-2012, 03:10 PM
:agree:

Is Kujabi fit?

.Sean.
13-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Osbourne
Claros
Stevenson

O'Connor
Griffiths

Subs: Grant, Francombe, Murray, Sproule, Doyle.

TomoHFC
13-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Brown
Francombe McPake Hanlon Kunjabi
Wotherspoon Osboure Soares Sproule
O'Connor Griffiths
:pfgwa