PDA

View Full Version : All-time UK XI

sparkiedelpaco7
12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Question posted by BBC Yesterday

To come up with an XI made from players of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland Nationality from 1945 onwards

My Team

Andy Goram

Danny McGrain -- Duncan Edwards -- Pat Stanton -- Gareth Bale

George Best -- Bobby Charlton -- Gordon Smith -- Ryan Giggs

Kenny Dalgleish -- Denis Law

Subs

John Charles
Matt Le Tissier
Jimmy Johnstone
Steven Gerrard
Lawrie Reilly
Ian Rush
Joe Baker

SouthamptonHibs
12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Not a bad team. I like the thought off five Hibs players in the first 11....all top quality

Hibercelona
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
No Jimmy Baxter?

--------
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Question posted by BBC Yesterday

To come up with an XI made from players of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland Nationality from 1945 onwards

My Team

Andy Goram

Danny McGrain -- Duncan Edwards -- Pat Stanton -- Gareth Bale

George Best -- Bobby Charlton -- Gordon Smith -- Ryan Giggs

Kenny Dalgleish -- Denis Law

Subs

John Charles
Matt Le Tissier
Jimmy Johnstone
Steven Gerrard
Lawrie Reilly
Ian Rush
Joe Baker

Andy Goram

Danny McGrain - Pat Stanton - John Charles - Davie Shaw

Gordon Smith - Jim Baxter - Duncan Edwards - George Best

Joe Baker - Denis Law

If you're looking for 7 subs, I suppose Peter Shilton, Bobby Moore, Danny Blanchflower, Billy Bremner, Kenny Dalglish, Lawrie Reilly, and Eddie Gray would do.

All these things are very personal - most folks would laugh themselves silly at me having Pat and Joe in there, but having seen them ...

Davie Shaw was the left-back in the FF team and a very good player indeed. He was the brother of Jock 'Tiger' Shaw, the Rangers captain just after the war, capped 9 times for Scotland at a time when we were spoiled for choice, and played more than 300 games for Hibs - a one-club man.

I went for Shilton as #2 keeper, but it's a very close thing there between him and Pat Jennings of Tottenham, Arsenal, and NI.

Bremner was a great player, so he's in, but if I could think of someone else I'd punt him because I could never stand the wee plook - he was a nasty piece of work.