PDA

View Full Version : Making Flags

HibsMax
11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know of a good, easy way to attach letters / words / images to a cloth flag? I have some limitations :
1. I don't have a sewing machine
2. I don't have much time (I guess that's kinda obvious)
3. I would prefer to stay away from iron-on but that can be a last resort
4. would prefer to stay away from "needle and thread" - that could take forever and I haven't stitched anything since Home Economics about 30 years ago!

I went to an embroidery place close to me but they only do smaller projects - my flag is 5' x 3'.

I was wondering if there is a way that letters can be attached using some sort of stapler, but without metal staples.

I'm pretty resourceful but given the time crunch I'm trying to find tried and true methods.

Keith_M
11-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Spray Paint?

:dunno:

Chuck Rhoades
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Get the alphabet on an acetate.

Project acetate on to wall.

Pin/tape up cloth to wall and outline letters (moving acetate and changing focus on projector)

Masc round the outline of the letters.

Spray paint the letter.

Leave to dry...

iwasthere1972
11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
:idea: A woman :tin hat:

HibsMax
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Lol @ a woman.

Will spray work on a cotton flag?

My latest idea is to iron on and then reinforce with fabric rivets. First I'm going to photoshop a few images to see what actually looks good / smart

Geo_1875
12-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Fabric glue?

HibsMax
12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Yup. Thought about fabric glue too. 606 spray is something you get over here.

I'm maybe being a hardon but I feel that I need something like stitching or rivets for it to hold up being folded, packed, waved, scrunched up, etc. will the glue hold up to all that?

Geo_1875
12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
As long as it's not heavyweight material and you apply the glue as per instructions it should work fine.

aberhibsfc
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Get some wonderweb. It's a length of material which you can get in homeware, possibly supermarket stores.

Work out what you want to do on yer flag.
Cut lengths long enough for the back of your letters.
Get your flag on an iron table.
Put the wonderweb on and place letter ontop then press iron onto it.
Do this for all your letters.

It's amazing stuff, I'm no sewer but the hem of my suit trousers came away. I got this wonderweb and within minutes all was well again.

silverhibee
12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
What will be written on your flag. :greengrin

Ajanet
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Try printing on transfar paper it comes in A4 size then you iron it on to cloth
i did it for our flag when we won the CIS cup but cut round the words before you iron it on
hope you get it sorted
P.S you can get it in any craft shop or on line

HibsMax
12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
The flag is cotton, but not like a cotton t shirt. It feels more rigid than that. Maybe it just needs a cycle through the washer.

Not sure what's going on the flag, depends on how much of a pain this is. The more of a pain, the less letters. I might just have a big H. Lol

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2012, 05:37 PM
The flag is cotton, but not like a cotton t shirt. It feels more rigid than that. Maybe it just needs a cycle through the washer.

Not sure what's going on the flag, depends on how much of a pain this is. The more of a pain, the less letters. I might just have a big H. Lol

In that case just cut the flag into a "H" shape and save yourself the bother....................simples!

sleeping giant
12-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Don't scratch it , it will make it worse :greengrin
http://www.canesten.co.uk/home.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=canesten&utm_content=Pure%20Brand%20[B]&utm_campaign=Pure%20Brand

HibsMax
12-05-2012, 10:29 PM
In that case just cut the flag into a "H" shape and save yourself the bother....................simples!

:)

It might come to that yet!!

green&left
13-05-2012, 09:43 AM
:)

It might come to that yet!!

I made mine (http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4126/28239910150736846285512.jpg) using polycotton ('bout £2 per sq/m) and masonry paint (the stuff you paint the outside of yer hoose with). Homebase do small 1l tubs for about £4. Paint dries in pretty hard but it is waterproof :aok:

This (http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7470/egbyp.jpg) will be my next project for next season.

HibsMax
13-05-2012, 06:33 PM
After much thought I went to the local fabric / craft store and spoke with them. That is not meant as a slap in the face to everyone who has sent me their advice, I wanted to hear all opinions. I have decided to go with green cotton fabric and some iron on stuff. The girl told me that she makes stuff for sororities, etc. all the time and this stuff really holds up well. You can wash it and you don't need to worry about colours bleeding like can happen with paint and cotton. The main reason I took this approach is simplicity - it's like iron-on double-sided tape.

Depending on how things work out I might be able to post a picture in a short while...

Off to see if the iron actually works.

1875godsgift
13-05-2012, 06:54 PM
After much thought I went to the local fabric / craft store and spoke with them. That is not meant as a slap in the face to everyone who has sent me their advice, I wanted to hear all opinions. I have decided to go with green cotton fabric and some iron on stuff. The girl told me that she makes stuff for sororities, etc. all the time and this stuff really holds up well. You can wash it and you don't need to worry about colours bleeding like can happen with paint and cotton. The main reason I took this approach is simplicity - it's like iron-on double-sided tape.

Depending on how things work out I might be able to post a picture in a short while...

Off to see if the iron actually works.

Don't try it out on your ticket! :greengrin

HibsMax
13-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Don't try it out on your ticket! :greengrin

LOL.

Luckily for me I don't actually have possession of my ticket so even if I was that stupid / drunk / whatever, I couldn't do it.

HibsMax
13-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Done!

Plenty room at the bottom should I feel like adding something else in the future...assuming the letters don't fall off. LOL. This was a quick fix. With more time I would stitch the letters on.

Westie1875
13-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Done!

Plenty room at the bottom should I feel like adding something else in the future...assuming the letters don't fall off. LOL. This was a quick fix. With more time I would stitch the letters on.

Looks good! :aok:

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Yup. Thought about fabric glue too. 606 spray is something you get over here.

I'm maybe being a hardon but I feel that I need something like stitching or rivets for it to hold up being folded, packed, waved, scrunched up, etc. will the glue hold up to all that?

Done!

Tell me you didn't?:confused: :wink:

HibsMax
13-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Tell me you didn't?:confused: :wink:

I didn't use rivets or stitching if that's what you mean. I DID make the flag though.

EDIT : no hardons were killed or injured durung the making of this flag.

KWJ
14-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Good work mate :aok:

hibbybrian
14-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Done!

Good effort Max :thumbsup:

now there will be red white and blue flags in both ends of the ground :greengrin

Gatecrasher
14-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Done!

Looking good, what size is the flag? Is it 6x4?

HibsMax
14-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Looking good, what size is the flag? Is it 6x4?

5 x 3. It's a little larger than I thought when I unfurled it. I am in Row A in Section D2 so hopefully it will be viewable for all! It's not as good as I wanted it to be but with the time limits, etc.

HibsMax
14-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Good effort Max :thumbsup:

now there will be red white and blue flags in both ends of the ground :greengrin

One end will be singing rule britannia...and I'll be singing the Star Spangled Banner. LOL.

Gatecrasher
14-05-2012, 03:51 PM
5 x 3. It's a little larger than I thought when I unfurled it. I am in Row A in Section D2 so hopefully it will be viewable for all! It's not as good as I wanted it to be but with the time limits, etc.

:aok: i'm just a couple of sections away so if i see it i will get a photo