PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final Penalty Shoot Out...Could you watch?

hibsbollah
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I was talking to a yam about this today and it started the butterflies going like you wouldnt believe :boo hoo:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/penalties.html

Just imagine winning or losing 9-8 on pens (like Italy-Czechoslovakia 1980 European Champs) or 12-11 (Ivory Coast-Cameroon 2006 ACN). It would be torture and probably would result in some minor cardiac episodes. I'd be in favour of a mass Hibs Bounce or Poznan to cope.

Does anyone else start to feel a bit sick just thinking about it? :greengrin

Sean1875
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Could maybe watch the first couple but doubt id be able to last, its too terrifying to even think about :boo hoo:

Westie1875
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't know tbh, would perhaps watch it through my fingers, hope it doesn't come to this.

IFONLY
11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I was talking to a yam about this today and it started the butterflies going like you wouldnt believe :boo hoo:

Just imagine winning or losing 9-8 on pens (like Italy-Czechoslovakia 1980 European Champs) or 12-11 (Ivory Coast-Cameroon 2006 ACN). It would be torture and probably would result in some minor cardiac episodes. I'd be in favour of a mass Hibs Bounce or Poznan to cope.

I have never watched Hibs in a penalty shoot out since Pat Stanton missed the first one against Leeds. Missed plenty of action and thrills but I would defo do the same if this game finished level

silverhibee
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Hibs FC don't lose penalty shoot-outs. :thumbsup:

--------
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Oh yes. Never in a million years could I watch. Stomach churning right now.

hibIBZ
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
think i have only ever witnessed hibs in 1 penalty shoot out ( cup replay away to aberdeen when i was young) mass hibees bounce sounds good esp if they are shooting towards out end.

Hainan Hibs
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Think I doubled in age when watching the penalty shoot out vs Rangers. Couldn't handle one vs Hearts but would have to watch.

Edit: Think we could get Daniel Andersson on loan in case of a penalty shootout? :greengrin:

JeMeSouviens
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I was at the Sheep-Celtc final that went to pens. (My wife is of the Sheepish persuasion.) Anyway, some undercover Tims standing near us had been unable to contain themselves as the tension of extra time wore on so by the time of the penalties I was winding them up big time. In fact a couple of them said they'd wait for me outside but sadly were gone by the time we left. Presumably they wanted to wish us a pleasant evening. :greengrin

Can't remember the score but there were a lot of penalties, think the keepers had even taken one by the end. Quite entertaining for a neutral, game itself was pish.

GreenCastle
11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
If you said to me now - penalty shootout to win the final - I would take it right now.

With Brown in nets - like Stack he is a good shot stopper and I feel we would have enough quality to put our penalties away.

Yes my heart would be beating faster than ever but can you imagine the buzz if we win on a shoot out :panic::flag:

Matty_Jack04
11-05-2012, 02:51 PM

We're better than the Germans at penalty shoot outs

HibeeN
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I've never liked penalties...even watching games as a neutral they make me unwell! I was on the edge of my seat watching Bayern v Real on pens and I have no idea how I'd cope if Hibs were in a shootout. Hopefully it won't come to that!

Leithenhibby
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I have never watched Hibs in a penalty shoot out since Pat Stanton missed the first one against Leeds. Missed plenty of action and thrills but I would defo do the same if this game finished level

I can still see that one as if it were yesterday. :( But as a true captain should, Pat had tha balls to step up first :aok:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19817653@N04/7097733855/in/photostream/lightbox/

EH6 Hibby
11-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Not to premier league teams we don't. :pfgwa

HibsMax
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
After giving this much thought, I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to watch. If it goes to penalties and we win, and I wasn't watching, it would take a little of the shine off the day for me. "Yeah, I was there but I didn't actually see our winning goal." Nope, I HAVE to watch.

--------
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I was at the Sheep-Celtc final that went to pens. (My wife is of the Sheepish persuasion.) Anyway, some undercover Tims standing near us had been unable to contain themselves as the tension of extra time wore on so by the time of the penalties I was winding them up big time. In fact a couple of them said they'd wait for me outside but sadly were gone by the time we left. Presumably they wanted to wish us a pleasant evening. :greengrin

Can't remember the score but there were a lot of penalties, think the keepers had even taken one by the end. Quite entertaining for a neutral, game itself was pish.

IIRC it was 9-8 with Brian Irvine scoring the winner.

Leithenhibby
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
After giving this much thought, I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to watch. If it goes to penalties and we win, and I wasn't watching, it would take a little of the shine off the day for me. "Yeah, I was there but I didn't actually see our winning goal." Nope, I HAVE to watch.

I'm with you on this one. Big brave boys, we are .... :greengrin

HibsMax
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm with you on this one. Big brave boys, we are .... :greengrin

I will also be taking an extra pair of boxer shorts.

Hibercelona
11-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I imagine watching the shootouts would be something like this.

http://www.fact.co.uk/media/494868/a_clockwork_orange_3.jpg

HibsMax
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Followed by a little ultra-violence? :wink:

Hibercelona
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Edinburgh's going to be a radge place next week, thats for sure.

Eyrie
11-05-2012, 04:51 PM

I'd prefer some Beethoven - the fourth movement of his Ninth Symphony would be perfect ("Ode To Joy").

Just_Jimmy
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Aye. Gies the chance right now!

Edinburgh Green
11-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I've found the tension is a lot worse if you don't watch, you're mind starts thinking about the penalty takers run up....then silence cause he's not started his run up yet....so it starts over again. If we do miss a penalty your heart drops just the same as if you watch it, probably more so.

Posh Swanny
11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Pah! They're bad enough anyway, but made 100 times worse by logging onto a rival fans' forum and seeing them all absolutely LOVING the fact that you've just lost another shoot out.

wee 162
12-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Pah! They're bad enough anyway, but made 100 times worse by logging onto a rival fans' forum and seeing them all absolutely LOVING the fact that you've just lost another shoot out.
Wouldn't know, computers were barely invented the (first and) last time Hibs lost a penalty shoot out, never mind the internet. If the game goes to penalties I'll be supremely confident. In fact the only one I have been even slightly concerned at was the Rangers game at Hampden. And that was only for a couple of seconds when I realised they had a penalty to win the game. That lasted only till De Boer missed it...

Penalties are not a lottery, and we're immense at them. Know who isn't immense at them? Hearts. Brutal record in penalty shoot outs.

The champagne shouldn't be opened the second the final whistle goes if it's level, but I'd suggest getting it out the ice bucket at that point...