PDA

View Full Version : I like Tom Soares

Silver Fox
11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I think we play better when he's in the team, he links well with Osbourne especially. and good at free kicks.

I know a few of you don't rate him and we all have our opinions, just sharin mine!

He looks a bit leggy at times and as if he's playing in 2nd gear but you can see he's quality, someone will hopefully be along with stats to back up my theory that we've racked up more points when he's played.

He does seem to have injury issues that have hampered his career, if he could put them behind him i've no doubt he could be playing at a decent level, a la Vaz

#potential :greengrin

Winston Ingram
11-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I think we play better when he's in the team, he links well with Osbourne especially. and good at free kicks.

I know a few of you don't rate him and we all have our opinions, just sharin mine!

He looks a bit leggy at times and as if he's playing in 2nd gear but you can see he's quality, someone will hopefully be along with stats to back up my theory that we've racked up more points when he's played.

He does seem to have injury issues that have hampered his career, if he could put them behind him i've no doubt he could be playing at a decent level, a la Vaz

#potential :greengrin

One thing is for sure is that he is a waste of space wide. Plays much better when he's in the middle. Still no convinced and I do think he's a bit chicken hearted

edinburghhibee
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I will be first to admit that I wouldn't start him in the final, I was at St Mirren and he was allowing men to run past him in midfield all day without tracking his runner. Hearts will have Rudi and Black running around him for the full 90 minutes and unfortunatley I don't feel Tom could handle that.

Hibee87
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
IMO hearts domination over the last few years has been mainly down to playing 5 in midfield. I htink we need to play this way as well. stevenson and claros to break up the play with ozzy playing a bit further forward. griffiths on the left wing and gaz up front. then my dilemma is right wing, I agree i like soares and we do seem to win more when he plays however i think the right spot should go to francombe or dare i say it even doyle. this would then give us a 4-3-3 option when attacking but a 4-5-1 when defending. Soares has been a ok signing but i cant see him making the final team TBH

Billy Whizz
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I think the point in playing Soares in the middle is to get the other side of Black, stops him going forward!!!

Hibby Kay-Yay
11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
IMO hearts domination over the last few years has been mainly down to playing 5 in midfield. I htink we need to play this way as well. stevenson and claros to break up the play with ozzy playing a bit further forward. griffiths on the left wing and gaz up front. then my dilemma is right wing, I agree i like soares and we do seem to win more when he plays however i think the right spot should go to francombe or dare i say it even doyle. this would then give us a 4-3-3 option when attacking but a 4-5-1 when defending. Soares has been a ok signing but i cant see him making the final team TBH

I don't believe Gaz has the quality to play the lone striker.

KWJ
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Reckon he'll be rested tomorrow and start the final.

allezsauzee
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Soares has a bit of class about him. He plays with his head up and is very composed on the ball. Sadly he obviously has issues with his fitness and will never be able to tear about the park and steam into challenges. I'd definitely start him in the final as we need somebody to put their foot on the ball early on.

hibsbollah
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I fancy him or Ozzie to get the opener, theyve both been getting into more advanced positions recently.

IFONLY
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Thank god you dont pick the team then. IMO Gaz is one of the few quality players we have. He is head and shoulders above any of their strike force

Elephant Stone
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
someone will hopefully be along with stats to back up my theory that we've racked up more points when he's played.

We've picked up more points when I've listened on the radio instead of going to the game this season and I reckon that me listening on the radio has been as much of an influence in getting those points as the two or three touches of the ball Soares has had in those games.

Hope he plays a blinder in the final but I hope that's the last we see of him, he's definitely not for me based on what he's produced so far.

allezsauzee
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Gaz is a quality striker, but I don't think he's mobile enough to play a lone striker role

Onceinawhile
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
We've picked up more points when I've listened on the radio instead of going to the game this season and I reckon that me listening on the radio has been as much of an influence in getting those points as the two or three touches of the ball Soares has had in those games.

Hope he plays a blinder in the final but I hope that's the last we see of him, he's definitely not for me based on what he's produced so far.

I would imagine his two goals in a 3-1 win over Killie made a bit of a difference...

hibsbollah
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I cant say definitively but it looks as if hes a good presence in the team. He's always animated, enthusiastic, encourages his teammates, interracts with the fans and generally looks like he likes it here. This is an important attribute to have. He's been a bit patchy but he's definitely not been a failure.

Winston Ingram
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Maybe his fitness stops him but he certainly did it very well for Birmingham a couple years back. He played the 1st half of the 2009-10 season very well before he was injured:agree:

JimBHibees
11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I cant say definitively but it looks as if hes a good presence in the team. He's always animated, enthusiastic, encourages his teammates, interracts with the fans and generally looks like he likes it here. This is an important attribute to have. He's been a bit patchy but he's definitely not been a failure.

I agree actually think if you look at our better performances and results recently he has been in the team when we have won. He has a bit of quality and sometimes you need to accept some of the weaknesses in his game to get him in the team knowing he is likely to have a positive impact going forward.

Hainan Hibs
11-05-2012, 12:54 PM
The thing that gets me is his way to play screams a half-arsed attitude but when we score he suddenly becomes one of the most animated in the team:greengrin

TornadoHibby
11-05-2012, 01:01 PM

So did Ross Chisholm! :confused:

Problem with Soarees is that despite having decent ability, he is lacking fitness and has no interest in the physical side of the game whatsoever IMO!

The number of tackles he doesn't rip into or even make an effort to compete for the ball and the constant failure to mark and track runners who should be his responsibility leaves the team a man down at those times! Against Hearts that will be punished IMO! :agree:

frazeHFC
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
He's a CM in both myself and football managers opinion. :na na:

RIP
11-05-2012, 01:31 PM
In the final we need midfield players to 'own' their area of the pitch

Hearts pass the ball at speed and we need speed to counteract that

They will fight for every ball in the middle of the park and we must match that fight

On all these counts Tom Soares may not (on recent performances) be up to that task

However if he steps up and plays like the glimpsses he's shown to date, we could have a good passing game in the final

snooky
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
So did Ross Chisholm! :confused:

Problem with Soarees is that despite having decent ability, he is lacking fitness and has no interest in the physical side of the game whatsoever IMO!

The number of tackles he doesn't rip into or even make an effort to compete for the ball and the constant failure to mark and track runners who should be his responsibility leaves the team a man down at those times! Against Hearts that will be punished IMO! :agree:

This :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
perhaps a winners medal on offer might up his physical side and to get more stuck in.

bingo70
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
For all the stick he gets he creates a lot of chances.

I'd play a central three of Stevenson, claros and Ozzie with him given a free role to roam about behind the strikers.

ekhibee
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I reckon he's a good player and I'd start him. We don't just need a hard man approach in midfield, we need a certain amount of creativity too, and to me anyway, he does provide that. Far too often when we are playing them we get drawn in to personal battles, don't think Soares is the kind of guy that would allow himself to get drawn into that, although that's just my opinion. Going forward I think he's good, he seems to take a decent corner, is a good passer,and he has scored goals for us, so why not? His fitness might be an issue for some people, but not me.