PDA

View Full Version : Walk to Hampden

vercol36
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Wondering if anyone could give me some info... me and a few folk are heading to Glasgow on the 10 to 8 train on cup final day, to avoid the mobs of folk travelling through later on. Since we will have so much time in Weegieland, was wondering if anyone knows about the walk to Hampden? I have heard it takes abotu an hour, but want to know if it's a boring/interesting walk or if it goes through any areas that you probably shouldn't walk through in a green and white top. thanks in advance

fat freddy
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
its a short walk from central station...about half an hour tops...cross the clyde at the saltmarket onto gorbals street...a wee stroll through the gorbals, which isn't as bad as it once was, onwards to cathcart rd then turn left at aitkenhead rd...this will take you into the polmadie district where hibs fans will be entering the stadium from.....my advice is stay in the city centre until 1.30 and enjoy the atmosphere before heading down to hampden....there are no areas that should be avoided as glasgow will be taken over for the day by friendly edinburggers.

hiblander
11-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Wondering if anyone could give me some info... me and a few folk are heading to Glasgow on the 10 to 8 train on cup final day, to avoid the mobs of folk travelling through later on. Since we will have so much time in Weegieland, was wondering if anyone knows about the walk to Hampden? I have heard it takes abotu an hour, but want to know if it's a boring/interesting walk or if it goes through any areas that you probably shouldn't walk through in a green and white top. thanks in advance

WouldŽnt bother your better getting the bus or frequent trains, your not exactly going to see the Louvre down that way, best going down Jamaica St then Bridge St (over CLyde) follow the road round the side of the New Gorbals onto Victoria Road, the best part through Queens Park ( No traffic to contend with) then onto Battlefield Road, for the history buff...to Hampden.

:cb

alfie
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Don't think you would have any problems wearing a green and white top, as long as it doesn't have hoops, you'll be fine. It's not like folks in the south side of Glasgow wont be aware of what match is on that day. The walk itself isn't up to much until you get further out past the Gorbals and there isn't much to see that I can think of apart from Queen's Park. Don't know if the Hampden museum will be open in the morning, it is worth a visit as is the tour, but I'm sure that wont be available on the day of the match. There are probably better things to do in Glasgow town centre and then join the hordes on the trains out to Hampden later.

fat freddy
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
my route is better as it avoids the jambos who will be dominant in the battlefield rd area...my route is greener and more eco friendly

JeMeSouviens
11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Instead of turning up Aikenhead Rd, stay on Cathcart Rd and then take a detour through Cathkin Park, the ex-home of Third Lanark FC, and ponder for a moment that in a few years, Ibrox could be like this. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathkin_Park

Seriously, it's an eerie place but worth a visit if you like your footy history. There's **** all else of note on that journey unless you like waste ground and motorways on stilts. :greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Google maps quotes 59mins.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Glasgow+Central+Station,+Gordon+Street, +Glasgow&daddr=Hampden+Park&hl=en&ll=55.842362,-4.247932&spn=0.038023,0.111494&sll=55.84214,-4.25163&sspn=0.038023,0.111494&geocode=FRpdVAMdsQi__yFWSqpsMr9l7w%3BFVTNUwMdzCm__ yFpzFSRo40YMQ&oq=hampden+park&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=h&z=14

Walking directions to Hampden Park

Glasgow Central Station
Gordon Street
Glasgow, G1 3SL

1. Head east on Gordon St toward Renfield St

125 ft
2. Turn right onto Union St

0.2 mi
3. Continue onto Jamaica St

0.1 mi
4. Turn left onto Clyde St/A814

0.3 mi
5. Turn right onto Gorbals St/A8
Continue to follow Gorbals St

0.5 mi
6. Continue onto Cathcart Rd/A730
Continue to follow Cathcart Rd

0.5 mi
7. Turn left onto Aikenhead Rd/A728
Destination will be on the left

1.4 mi

Hampden Park
Hampden Park, Glasgow, G42 9B

ScottB
11-05-2012, 10:38 AM

I live in Glasgow and we walked from Hampden back to my flat at the St Enoch Centre, about a 20 minute ish walk, no hassle, didn't see anyone, apart from an Arab looking guy outside the big mosque who wanted to know the score haha

vercol36
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Instead of turning up Aikenhead Rd, stay on Cathcart Rd and then take a detour through Cathkin Park, the ex-home of Third Lanark FC, and ponder for a moment that in a few years, Ibrox could be like this. :wink:

Seriously, it's an eerie place but worth a visit if you like your footy history. There's **** all else of note on that journey unless you like waste ground and motorways on stilts. :greengrin

Haha, is this actually a possibility or does it diverge from the Hampden route too much? Would love to see Cathkin Park, have heard the atmosphere is very strange.

JeMeSouviens
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Haha, is this actually a possibility or does it diverge from the Hampden route too much? Would love to see Cathkin Park, have heard the atmosphere is very strange.

No, it's not much of a detour. Have a look at the google map link in the post above. Cathkin park is due north of Hampden, a few hundred yards away. There's a hill between them so you can't see one from the other.

scott7_0(Prague)
11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Glasgow+Central+Station,+Gordon+Street, +Glasgow&daddr=Cathkin+Park+to:Hampden+Park&hl=en&sll=55.830216,-4.252567&sspn=0.07607,0.222988&geocode=FRpdVAMdsQi__yFWSqpsMr9l7w%3BFb3mUwMdKhy__ yG1_TQmzh8KaQ%3BFVTNUwMdzCm__yFpzFSRo40YMQ&oq=hampden+park&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=14

Killiehibbie
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Wondering if anyone could give me some info... me and a few folk are heading to Glasgow on the 10 to 8 train on cup final day, to avoid the mobs of folk travelling through later on. Since we will have so much time in Weegieland, was wondering if anyone knows about the walk to Hampden? I have heard it takes abotu an hour, but want to know if it's a boring/interesting walk or if it goes through any areas that you probably shouldn't walk through in a green and white top. thanks in advanceWalked it a few times not much more than half an hour.

Topographic Hibby
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Haha, is this actually a possibility or does it diverge from the Hampden route too much? Would love to see Cathkin Park, have heard the atmosphere is very strange.A few years ago, I was sent on a course at work in Glasgow, and was put up in a hotel round the corner from Cathkin. A few of us bought a 99p ball and we had a kick-about on the pitch.

It was very strange, almost like playing football on someone's grave. It is worth a look around, but I fear on 19/5 it will be more of a Maroon part of Glasgow. Visit it on another day

TH

(Some imges from Google - creepy or what!!)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=third+lanark+cathkin+park%5D&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8RitT-fQII6B8gOZtsXbCg&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=600

neilmartinrocks
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM

this. its the route we normaly take going to hampden.

Franck Stanton
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
On the occassions we have made it to Hampden I usually park in Rutherglen and walk to Hampden. Quite a few drinking holes men-route. Takes about 35-40 min walk [not counting time spent in pubs obviously]. Wondering if anyone else doing likewise.

hibsdaft
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
about 45 mins from memory of walks back in the other direction.

not a great idea tbh. its going to be an exhausting day and you want all your energy for the 90 minutes and getting home in one piece at the end of the night if we win. the sunday night, that is.

Paisley Hibby
11-05-2012, 09:17 PM

I will be paying a visit here before the match especially because I understand that this is where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1887 - it was Second Hampden then. Third Lanark took it over later and renamed it Cathkin Park.

sleeping giant
11-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I mind reading about a guy that walked from Edinburgh to Hampden to watch Hibs in a final in the late 1800s. I'm sure he was famed for carrying a spade everywhere. He carried it to Hampden.
I swear this is true :greengrin

The Harp
11-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I will be paying a visit here before the match especially because I understand that this is where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1887 - it was Second Hampden then. Third Lanark took it over later and renamed it Cathkin Park.

Yeah, the 2nd Hampden was on the site of Cathkin but Third Lanark had the stadium rebuilt after buying it in 1903. This was because of a dispute regarding the purchase price for the stadium.
I quite liked visiting Cathkin in the early 60's - never had much bother with their fans unlike some other grounds in Glasgow.

sven nil
12-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Wondering if anyone could give me some info... me and a few folk are heading to Glasgow on the 10 to 8 train on cup final day, to avoid the mobs of folk travelling through later on. Since we will have so much time in Weegieland, was wondering if anyone knows about the walk to Hampden? I have heard it takes abotu an hour, but want to know if it's a boring/interesting walk or if it goes through any areas that you probably shouldn't walk through in a green and white top. thanks in advanceIf you are up lesser hampden way at 11.30 am. you could watch youth football, my youngest son season ticket holder hibs fanatic is playing sadly representing hmfc, and he got a freebie yes for freaks end.but never mind he will be with 22 other hibbies in there end.