PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final Merchandising - We have missed the boat?

MB62
11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Picking up my tickets yesterday from E.R the way out quite cleverly takes you through the shop, as it should. My wife is wanting to go and buy a cup final top of some sorts so I thought I would have a look round the shop to see what was. I have to say, I am hugely disappointed in what's on offer for cup final special clothing.
It looks like there is about two special T-Shirts, maybe a scarf and a mug. Next week there is going to be thousands of people looking to buy stuff but the choice is incredibly limited. There is not Polo shirt or rugby style top to be seen. In fact you would hardly know we were playing in the Scottish Cup final and I feel we have missed a trick if this is all that's going to be on offer.

Maybe the cup final special gear has still to arrive, let's hope so, because there's plenty money to be made here if the shop can offer something to sell.

cocopops1875
11-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I think Hibs realise the fact that this is a day that will be burned from memory should things go wrong. Polo shirts and rugby shirts are more expensive than the t-shirts. Wait till it goes right ;-) everything the shop sells will have Scottish cup winners on it

11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I think Hibs realise the fact that this is a day that will be burned from memory should things go wrong. Polo shirts and rugby shirts are more expensive than the t-shirts. Wait till it goes right ;-) everything the shop sells will have Scottish cup winners on it

I personally don't but any cup final merchandise before the game itself, then if we win I will buy a t-shirt, DVD etc. I never bought any of the "CIS Cup Final 2007" merchandise but happily bought "CIS CUP WINNERS 2007" stuff afterwards. I just couldn't bare to look at a t-****/scarf etc that had the date and occasion of a cup final we lost and would prob end up getting binned, which is just money down the drain.

However, there are plenty people out there who do like to purchase cup final merchandise before the cup final itself and the club could make quite a bit of money from it. Getting to cup finals is a rare occurrence for us so we should take the opportunity to capitalise on this one as much as possible and build it up well by promoting lots of cup final merchandise.

Hopefully in 2 weeks time, i'll be heading down to ER to purchase myself a "HIBERNIAN FC - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2012" t-shirt :pray:

MB62
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I personally don't but any cup final merchandise before the game itself, then if we win I will buy a t-shirt, DVD etc. I never bought any of the "CIS Cup Final 2007" merchandise but happily bought "CIS CUP WINNERS 2007" stuff afterwards. I just couldn't bare to look at a t-****/scarf etc that had the date and occasion of a cup final we lost and would prob end up getting binned, which is just money down the drain.

However, there are plenty people out there who do like to purchase cup final merchandise before the cup final itself and the club could make quite a bit of money from it. Getting to cup finals is a rare occurrence for us so we should take the opportunity to capitalise on this one as much as possible and build it up well by promoting lots of cup final merchandise.

Hopefully in 2 weeks time, i'll be heading down to ER to purchase myself a "HIBERNIAN FC - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2012" t-shirt :pray:

I know where you are coming from as I have had my fingers burnt myself in my younger days by purchasing pre final stuff. However, as you say, there are plenty people who WILL want to buy stuff and we should catering for them.

I also quite like your other highlighted idea, could possibly get involved in that myself too :wink:

Just_Jimmy
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Getting to cup finals is a rare occurrence for us

Is it really? I'd say since 2000 we had a good record in terms of finals and semi final appearances. winning finals is a greater problem.

Scottish cup v Celtic 2001
League Cup v Livingston 2004
League Cup V Kilmarnock 2007
Scottish Cup v Them 2012

four finals in 12 years, that must be pretty solid if you compare it to other teams outwith the OF. Added to that we have;

Semi v Livingston
Semi v Ayr
Semi v Dundee Utd
Semi V rangers
Semi v Dunfermline (twice)
Semi v them
Semi V aberdeen
Semi V st Johnstone

Our biggest problem is turning final appearances into wins and semi appearances into finals. However, if we are considering simply how rare a final is in recent years then I'd say it's not bad considering other non OF teams.

EDIT - it's also worth noting that when we beat 'them' we'll have a 50% win record in finals since 2001, having lost to O'neils treble winning celtic in one also.

Not your original point but it's an oft quoted comment I thought I'd discuss.

Hibercelona
11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Perhaps the board are more focused on the squad than they are on merchandise for a change.

Who cares if theres a lack of merchandise, they have far more pressing matters to attend to.

11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Is it really? I'd say since 2000 we had a good record in terms of finals and semi final appearances. winning finals is a greater problem.

Scottish cup v Celtic 2001
League Cup v Livingston 2004
League Cup V Kilmarnock 2007
Scottish Cup v Them 2012

four finals in 12 years, that must be pretty solid if you compare it to other teams outwith the OF. Added to that we have;

Semi v Livingston
Semi v Ayr
Semi v Dundee Utd
Semi V rangers
Semi v Dunfermline (twice)
Semi v them
Semi V aberdeen
Semi V st Johnstone

Our biggest problem is turning final appearances into wins and semi appearances into finals. However, if we are considering simply how rare a final is in recent years then I'd say it's not bad considering other non OF teams.

Not your original point but it's an oft quoted comment I thought I'd discuss.

Ok, fair enough. I guess what i'm really trying to say is that we are not in them every season and when they do come around, they are a big deal so we should be milking it as much as we can.

DC_Hibs
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Perhaps the board are more focused on the squad than they are on merchandise for a change.

Who cares if theres a lack of merchandise, they have far more pressing matters to attend to.

I think the board are rightly more focused on making money than on the squad as you are suggesting. Unfortunately many fans continue to bemoan the goods available for sale.

Who cares? Me for one as the better the merchandise, the more money we make, the more we have to spend on players and theoretically the better a player we can attract.

Pass this onto any other dafties will you.

Cheers wee

Hibercelona
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I think the board are rightly more focused on making money than on the squad as you are suggesting. Unfortunately many fans continue to bemoan the goods available for sale.

Who cares? Me for one as the better the merchandise, the more money we make, the more we have to spend on players and theoretically the better a player we can attract.

Pass this onto any other dafties will you.

Cheers wee

This final is far greater than some little money making scheme. Only a dafty would think otherwise.

cocopops1875
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
But my point is "milking" it doesn't involve producing masses of stock, surely a few shirts in bigger quantitys thus lowering the price the club buys them in at is the way forward ? Like I said if we win Scottish cup stuff will be everywhere in the shop

MB62
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
This final is far greater than some little money making scheme. Only a dafty would think otherwise.

Glad you are not on the board.
Both these things should go hand in hand and we have a stores manager, I believe, who should be dealing with this sort of thing and reporting to the board.

Yes the final is a huge event, one of the few things that every club aims for at the start of every season and this one is even more special given the two finalists.
Have to agree that only a daftie would not see this as a chance to make money from merchandising, IF the products are available and are right.