PDA

View Full Version : A Horrible Choice

ManBearPig
09-05-2012, 06:25 AM
I am currently expecting my first born this summer and recent events made be believe she may be coming in the next fortnight. My question is this what would other Hibbys do?

I'm_cabbaged
09-05-2012, 06:32 AM
You're only going to an hour and a half away ;)

Gatecrasher
09-05-2012, 06:36 AM
During general discussions at work (for banter) I have came to this conclusion if this happened to me. I would take the phone call and see the rest of the match and celebrations and pretend the traffic was heavy around the stadium

3pm
09-05-2012, 06:37 AM
It's a tough decision to make but I think when you think it through to conclusion, there's only one real option....

....call it 'McPake'.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-05-2012, 06:38 AM
If she in hospital and you drive then go and don't drink, make sure you have a relative to attend and help with the wife.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Very large cork.

Shaggy
09-05-2012, 07:53 AM
You have to go and be ready...
When shes having the bairn... she will be calling you all the cants in the world anyway !!

(Hope you have two blessings in the same weekend, congrats)

hibbybrian
09-05-2012, 07:58 AM
I am currently expecting my first born this summer and recent events made be believe she may be coming in the next fortnight. My question is this what would other Hibbys do?

Get the hospital to induce the birth and smuggle the bairn into the match under your jacket :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Similar problem for my house, Married daughter is due her first 2 weeks after the final but she is determined to go and has tickets for her and her hubby.

Don't want the wee one being born in a weegie hospital!!!

Any midwives going to the east stand?

:pfgwa

Cauld Bovril
09-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Get her booked in for a c section a few days before and have the best head wetting session ever. :party:

madabouthibs
09-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Just for clarification, are you gonna be the daddy or the mummy??? :greengrin

ManBearPig
09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Hahaha she is already having some problems hence think she will be early she is gutted she is missing final herself!!!!!!

I am hoping for two blessings ****gy not to have moan but had worst year of my life last year spent most of it in hospital hoping 2012 to be the best year!!

hibee
09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Sure you will see both but if I HAD to pick one I would be at the birth!

Oh and it's not really a horrible choice is it!

Kojock
09-05-2012, 08:47 AM

My son is in exactly the same predicament. His fiancee is due six days after the final.

I gave him some fatherly advice "Son you can always have another child, Hibs might never get to the final again"

So its Hampden here we come. :flag::flag:

PatHead
09-05-2012, 08:53 AM
The day my first daughter was born was the best day of my life so far.......................I'll let you know if seeing Ian Murray/James McPake lifting the Cup is better!

Whatever happens it will be a great day.

DMR1875
09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Mate.Did you not just get smacked in the face with a ball from a Hibs player?! Now this! Maybe you should go into a darkened room for your own safety. Padded one at that.

hibs0666
09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Very large cork.

Boaster.

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

pray to god the baby doesnt come on the same day :wink:

Jay
09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Ach your not needed at the birth - men just get in the way. Go but take the car just in case. First babies generally take hours and hours to be born so you could probably see the end of the game and walk back for what its worth :greengrin

--------
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Ach your not needed at the birth - men just get in the way. Go but take the car just in case. First babies generally take hours and hours to be born so you could probably see the end of the game and walk back for what its worth :greengrin

How VERY un-PC of you to say that, Jill. :devil:

Like you, I was going to say go, but take the car and the mobile (switched on) just in case.

But if the lassie's in labour, I'd say his place is there with her or at least close by in the hospital.

Family always comes before football.

Jack
09-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I worked the far side of Glasgow when my first born was due.

Got the call and as I walked /jogged through the big staff rooms (3 x 500 folk) they all knew and they all cheered as I made my way out. Back to the Eastern in plenty time.

You’ve got to go to both.

Mind and let us all know who you are and where your sitting. Those cheers are still ringing in my ears and bring a tear to my eye :boo hoo:when I think about it, my son is now 20 :greengrin

If you want a belt and braces option take 2 phones on different networks.

Jay
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Like you, I was going to say go, but take the car and the mobile (switched on) just in case.

But if the lassie's in labour, I'd say his place is there with her or at least close by in the hospital.

Doddie when you are in the thro's of labour you couldnt care less who is there - they could have wheeled me into the middle of the car park and it wouldnt have mattered! I would have sent my man to the footy if he would go!

If she isnt in labour by the time you are due to leave for the game you'll have time to go and be back :greengrin

Ritchie
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM

my son (who was my gf's 1st) took 4 hours to appear..... that's still plenty time to get back from Glasgow! :greengrin

Jay
09-05-2012, 12:35 PM
my son (who was my gf's 1st) took 4 hours to appear..... that's still plenty time to get back from Glasgow! :greengrin

I had lazy gits -well 3 of them!! Twenty odd hours was the longest down to 8 hours for number 4. Then there was number two who gave us all half an hours warning. :rolleyes:

AustinHibee
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
You've already done your bit,get tae the match!!!!!

:greengrin

--------
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Doddie when you are in the thro's of labour you couldnt care less who is there - they could have wheeled me into the middle of the car park and it wouldnt have mattered! I would have sent my man to the footy if he would go!

If she isnt in labour by the time you are due to leave for the game you'll have time to go and be back :greengrin

Aye, but why should he be enjoying himself while she's in pain?

Why should HE get to go to the footy when others of us down the years have been made to stay and get called names?

Jay
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Aye, but why should he be enjoying himself while she's in pain?

Why should HE get to go to the footy when others of us down the years have been made to stay and get called names?

You actually have a point :greengrin I dont think I even spoke to my hubby far less call him names. Was too busy with the gas and air to be bothered with him!

muzzhfc
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
eat indian food until the new born has arrived

Phil D. Rolls
09-05-2012, 02:11 PM

When you see the baby you won't have to ask that question, there are some things more important than football - as you will have the joy of finding out soon. :greengrin

KSA Hibee
09-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I know the feeling ..... Cup final versus the sheep in 85 ... my first born due on the day of the final and to make matters worse it was the wifes birthday on the same day :greengrin !!!!

The day passed out without an appearance and the wee soul had the grace to wait until the Tuesday till she popped out .... which was the morning after the George Benson concert at the playhouse :wink:

The only advice I can offer is fae ma dear departed auld Gran who used to say "wits fur ye' son will no go past ye"

Happy to say first and second born will be on either side of me as we roar on the Hibs on the 19th :flag:

Northern Hibby
09-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Go to the game, think of the story you can tell him/her about the day of their birth, and if Hibernian become as big a part of their life as it is yours, there'll be that wonderful moment when they look at you and say "I understand why you went Dad"

Yuillsy
09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
My Mrs is now 6 days overdue. She's desperate to give birth soon so she can go to the final as well. She's made it clear to me though no mater what happens i've to go to the game!!!

Matty_Jack04
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
How many times do you hear about them having higher pain threshold than men and that they can do 100 things at the same time etc etc sounds to me like she's well equipped get tae the fitbaw

SteveHFC
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
My Mrs is now 6 days overdue. She's desperate to give birth soon so she can go to the final as well. She's made it clear to me though no mater what happens i've to go to the game!!!

Your mrs seems nice :greengrin

HibsMax
09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Is divorce an option?

Squealing pig
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
get to the fitbaw cause when wee one is here i doubt youll get to go for a good while not to mention magnitude of game. longer than just close season prob b a few years til wee 1 is auld enough.

Kaiser1962
09-05-2012, 08:07 PM

:agree:

Its only a game after all. A big one but, when all is said and done, still only a game of a football. Compared to the birth of your child its no contest in my book and good luck and best wishes to the three of you.

Someone will let you know what happens at Hampden! :greengrin

007 Mickey Weir
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
My younger brothers wife is expecting TWINS. Due anytime now. He has has the same dilema. He is driving to final so he can get back to Edinburgh at anytime if needed. But if she is in labour on the big day then there might just be an empty seat.

Sammy7nil
10-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Look you will have other children get to the game

only joking your family come 1st don't dare miss the birth :agree:

Geo_1875
10-05-2012, 10:01 AM
It's heart-warming to read the opinions of so many women on Hibs.net

For many years now I've held the mistaken belief that Filled Rolls, Doddie and Kaiser were men.

Reasons for not attending the birth of your child.

1. It's a Saturday

2. Hibs are playing

3. Hibs are playing in the Scottish Cup final

4. You're a man

:tin hat:

Jack
10-05-2012, 10:10 AM

For many years now I've held the mistaken belief that Filled Rolls, Doddie and Kaiser were men.

1. It's a Saturday

2. Hibs are playing

4. You're a man

And if any of the ladies out there would like to have a word with Geo_1875, for a small fee, they can PM me for his mobile number

Geo_1875
10-05-2012, 10:17 AM
And if any of the ladies out there would like to have a word with Geo_1875, for a small fee, they can PM me for his mobile number

Ladies?

The_Exile
10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I've had 3 kids and that moment when they hand him/her to you is beyond words, no game of football could ever get near that feeling, although saying that this isn't just any game of football! Hope that helped :party:

Gatecrasher
10-05-2012, 11:21 AM

1. It's a Saturday

2. Hibs are playing

4. You're a man

Some consideration should be shown and at least hold it in for a little longer :wink:

--------
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM

1. It's a Saturday

2. Hibs are playing

4. You're a man

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Geo_1875
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Some consideration should be shown and at least hold it in for a little longer :wink:

Exactly.

How would he feel if he went to the hospital on Saturday morning and hung about for 30 hours of labour and missed the game.

Their relationship would suffer irreparable damage.

He owes it to their future happiness to get along to Hampden.

Kojock
10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Reminds me about the time I went to see Hibs at the last Hampden sell out. When I took my seat I noticed there was an empty seat infont of me. I asked the guy next to the seat why it was empty. He replied that it was his wives ticket and unfortunately she had died suddenly a short time before. I asked why he didnt give the ticket to a relative or a friend and he said "Theyre all at the funeral" :tee hee:

LancashireHibby
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Turn up to the game but be prepared to leave at any minute if needs be - would be seriously bad luck if she goes in to (proper) labour during that 90 minute spell.

heretoday
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Attend the birth. It's important.

Albanian Hibs
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Turn up to the game but be prepared to leave at any minute if needs be - would be seriously bad luck if she goes in to (proper) labour during that 90 minute spell.

thats what i suggest too

Geo_1875
10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm getting a lovely warm feeling reading all these posts.

You'll be suggesting he gets in touch with his feminine side next.

:duck:

Jay
10-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Whats proper labour? I dont think I was ever in improper labour :greengrin

jaf
10-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm in the same boat, except we're awaiting twins....:thumbsup:

didn't even bother thinking about the final, my wife is about the size of a Nade and about as mobile so its all hands on deck here

I'm hoping for a great story to tell the wee ones, that they came on the same day as we tucked away the Scottish Cup.

LancashireHibby
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Whats proper labour? I dont think I was ever in improper labour :greengrin
Didn't fancy getting any more technical than that, folk eat their dinner while reading this!

Jay
10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Didn't fancy getting any more technical than that, folk eat their dinner while reading this!

:greengrin Och I just dont like to think I am missing out on anything :wink:

GreenCastle
10-05-2012, 01:42 PM

didn't even bother thinking about the final, my wife is about the size of a Nade and about as mobile so its all hands on deck here

I'm hoping for a great story to tell the wee ones, that they came on the same day as we tucked away the Scottish Cup.

:faf:

Good luck with everything :aok:

lapsedhibee
10-05-2012, 01:42 PM

1. It's a Saturday

2. Hibs are playing

4. You're a man

5. It will set a very bad precedent. If you prioritise this over Hibs, the next thing you know you'll be prioritising birthday parties, parents' evenings, etc, over a game of football.

Geo_1875
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
5. It will set a very bad precedent. If you prioritise this over Hibs, the next thing you know you'll be prioritising birthday parties, parents' evenings, etc, over a game of football.

Exactly. Birthdays happen every year, parents evenings every school term. It's Hibs in a Scottish Cup Final for God's sake. How many of them will you live to see?

ManBearPig
10-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Just reading all comments with mrs manbearpig in the hospital (she's having a bad time at moment) a lot of them made them have made us laugh!! Thanks for them all! I have been given strict orders I am still to go with my step-son on the bus And enjoy the day!! Here's hoping the cabbage do the business!! GGTTH

allezsauzee
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Go to the cup final, get pashed aftewards to celebrate our win and then go see the wife and newborn on sunday...simples

Gatecrasher
10-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Just reading all comments with mrs manbearpig in the hospital (she's having a bad time at moment) a lot of them made them have made us laugh!! Thanks for them all! I have been given strict orders I am still to go with my step-son on the bus And enjoy the day!! Here's hoping the cabbage do the business!! GGTTH
Hope you both have a very happy 19th in more ways in 1 :aok:

HibbySpurs
10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
No brainer....

If it was me (got 2 kids myself) I would,

Say I was just nipping out to the shop for a six pack to watch the game then leg it to Hampden as quick as possible, return on the Sunday and pray she never gave birth...

Hey, the bairn wont know you werent there and provided you bring the wee one up right they'll understand fully :greengrin:greengrin

Perhaps the driving option is the most realistic though:aok:

fatbloke
10-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Similar problem for my house, Married daughter is due her first 2 weeks after the final but she is determined to go and has tickets for her and her hubby.

:faf:

fatbloke
10-05-2012, 11:03 PM

If born in the Weedge can i suggest Senga or Britney for a girl and Genghis or Malky for a boy:greengrin
She should buy a ticket for the bairn just in case.

Hibs On Tour
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Go then rush there afterwards in a state of euphoria at our victory!

You're gonna be an hour and half away at least and its a genuine once in a lifetime [probably] occasion - us against them in the greatest game there ever was or possibly will be. My ex was in labour for 17 ******' hours with our first and by the time she was half-way through was calling me for all sorts because 'it was all MY fault' :) Nae harm in missing a couple of hours of abuse is there? ;)

And if the 'worst' was to happen and she had a very quick labour, ach well you can always have another - and trying for it is the fun part :)

Good Luck! :greengrin :flag: :aok:

Sunny1875
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Can I have your ticket ?

ozwoody
12-05-2012, 11:47 AM
This happened to me,my eldest,now 19 was ten days overdue and i was getting more than slightly worried I would miss the final against rangers at parkhead,fortunately he arrived at 4.10am on the morning of the game day......solution? Spent the morning with him and got to bus at sunnyside for it leaving at midday,and then had a good head wetting session,only downside was bloody mccoist scoring with an overhead kick.....gutted,but those feelings went when I got back to hospital and saw my newborns face

ozwoody
12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
This happened to me,my eldest,now 19 was ten days overdue and i was getting more than slightly worried I would miss the final against rangers at parkhead,fortunately he arrived at 4.10am on the morning of the game day......solution? Spent the morning with him and got to bus at sunnyside for it leaving at midday,and then had a good head wetting session,only downside was bloody mccoist scoring with an overhead kick.....gutted,but those feelings went when I got back to hospital and saw my newborns face

jaf
18-05-2012, 01:09 PM

well won't quite make the final but there will be another couple of extra hibee boys joining the TV audience at home.

Two wonderful baby boys arrived on Tuesday afternoon and I've already explained to them the significance of Saturday!!

hibee_girl
18-05-2012, 01:13 PM
well won't quite make the final but there will be another couple of extra hibee boys joining the TV audience at home.

Two wonderful baby boys arrived on Tuesday afternoon and I've already explained to them the significance of Saturday!!

Congratulations!!

JJP
18-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Congratulations to you and your wife. Can't have enough new Hibernian supporters.

:flag:

Hibbyradge
18-05-2012, 01:28 PM
If it was me, I'd be at the birth.

You'll be able to get a dvd of the match, but you'll never get another chance to be there the moment the child you created came into the world.

Cabbage East
18-05-2012, 01:34 PM
If it was me, I'd be at the birth.

You'll be able to get a dvd of the match, but you'll never get another chance to be there the moment the child you created came into the world.

What if he got a dvd of the birth?

Hibbyradge
18-05-2012, 01:46 PM
What if he got a dvd of the birth?

Top idea.

That way, he and his new child will be able to spend hours of quality time together watching the moment he/she came to life! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
18-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Mrs R has come up with the solution!

First, try vindaloo. Seemingly, it can induce child birth.

If that doesn't work by say, 3.00 am, get the doctors to give her a C - section.

Sorted.

Yuillsy
18-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Congratulations mate.
My daughter was born on Tuesday morning. I'm only just getting over the rollercoaster of emotions from that and now i've got to cope with the flock tomorrow!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Over a hundred years perhaps between cup wins, against roughly nine months to knock out a little?
If you don't go to the game to see us win the cup, you will not be able to help casting it up every time you get let down from he or she.

proud_and_green
18-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Dear God, there is no question here. This is the final.

My partner broke the news to me after the semi that we were going to her best friend's wedding......in Italy. I said that's brilliant when is it.....the 19th May she said.......Sorry Honey, no dice the Hibs are in the final.

Its been rather cold since and extremely frosty this morning before she went off to the airport as i pecked her on the cheek and said have a good time and i am sure that the bridegroom who is Italian will undestand....her response was ....He might, but i don't!!!!

Suspect, i may be single soon....!

Hibby Bairn
18-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Average first birth labour is about 12-14 hours. So even in she starts about 3pm plenty time to watch the game.....get back to Edinburgh...have a few swallies...watch the Champs league game....sing a few more songs....up toon for a few more......quick kebab and then grab a Joe to the hospital in time for the final stages of birth (maybe take a few of the lads with you for a team photo?).

See your newborn come into the world. Quick cup of tea and toast. Quick freshen up. Back to Easter Road to register the wee one in Hibs Kids and then get yourself ready for the bus parade.

Quick visit back to the hospital and then out for the head wetting of all head wettings.

I'm sure she'll be OK with that. Just say you asked the guys at hibs.net :greengrin