PDA

View Full Version : Can't win :(

HibeeHendo
08-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I managed to get a ticket but my celebrations were dampened by the fact that I can't get it off work! I could greet! Anyone else in a similiar situation?

madabouthibs
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Similar in a sense that, I have the day off but no ticket................

HibsMax
08-05-2012, 09:10 PM
What do you do for work? Can't is a very strong word but it depends on each individual. I didn't even ask for the time off, I just told them I am going.

fat freddy
08-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I managed to get a ticket but my celebrations were dampened by the fact that I can't get it off work! I could greet! Anyone else in a similiar situation?

these are the days when dying grandparents come in handy...be creative in your lying and build up the story over the coming week so that when the death occurs on friday the 18th your boss will insist you take the following day off work to mourn...failing that, sell me your ticket for a tenner.

Carheenlea
08-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Lot of bugs about round about that weekend..

lyonhibs
08-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Unless you are an emergency service worker or do the most unbelievably fantastic job, I'd tell your work to ram it.

Pull a sicky, whatever. There are more jobs out there than there are chances to watch Hibs win the Scottish Cup.

HibeeHendo
08-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I work in Next full time but I was told I can't have it off as a holiday. I even asked to take it unpaid and get someone else to cover the shift but was denied that too.

Jonnyboy
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I work in Next full time but I was told I can't have it off as a holiday. I even asked to take it unpaid and get someone else to cover the shift but was denied that too.

Your boss must be a Jambo

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Is your manager a Jambo?

DH1875
08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Unless your the gynecologist for the Kardashian family, I'd be very tempted to tell your boss to shove it.

Geo_1875
08-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Take a huge number of laxative tablets on the Thursday, go to work on Friday and make a great show of ****ting your pants and your guaranteed the Saturday off.

You may be in even deeper **** when your boss sees you on the tv but well worth it.

iwasthere1972
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Next? Thought you were talking mega important. Phone up on the morning tell them you are sick. Doubt they can sack you even without a doctors line unless you've had previous verbal/written warnings.

DarrenSQH
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Tell them your either off or you quit. A job isn't worth a cup win.

Irish_Steve
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Is your manager a Jambo?

Is there a Liverpool Newspaper in here???

HibeeHendo
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Your boss must be a Jambo

She has no interest in football whatsoever!

HibsMax
08-05-2012, 09:18 PM

F*** them and ask if anyone will cover you, THEN go and tell them that you need the day off and your shift is covered.

It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :wink:

Jonnyboy
08-05-2012, 09:18 PM

So she is a Jambo then :greengrin

Mikey
08-05-2012, 09:19 PM
If you've got a good record with them and haven't missed any other days then just pull a sicky. Make it realistic and treat yourself to the day before off as well :greengrin

What you don't want to do is make a fuss about not getting the day off between now and then. Just say nothing and get on with it.

A doctor's line would be useful too!!

Needs must :wink:

Jamesie
08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
If you've got a good record with them and haven't missed any other days then just pull a sicky. Make it realistic and treat yourself to the day before off as well :greengrin

What you don't want to do is make a fuss about not getting the day off between now and then. Just say nothing and get on with it.

A doctor's line would be useful too!!

Needs must :wink:

Wise words, but I'd maybe delete the thread too just for good measure to avoid any audit trail :greengrin

NOLA
08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
pull a sicky and accept the verbal warning, worth it.

HibeeHendo
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
pull a sicky and accept the verbal warning, worth it.

Positive that will be the worst that can happen?

HibeeHendo
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Wise words, but I'd maybe delete the thread too just for good measure to avoid any audit trail :greengrin
Excellent shout :greengrin

Bohemian_Hibee
08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
If Hibs win and you're not there, you will NEVER forgive yourself.

Jobs come and go, but cup wins come round less often than Halleys comet

JohnStephens91
08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I usually work Saturdays in a bar, but my manager lets me have whatever Saturdays I want off to see Hibs playing away from home because otherwise he knows I'll pull a sickie. You seem goosed unless your call in sick on the Thursday with violent diarrohea or food poisoning. If you are feeling especially brave break a couple of fingers in your stock room and use that as an excuse for a weekend off.

iwasthere1972
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Tell her that apart from the odd straggler the entire population of Edinburgh will either be at Hampden or watching a wee game of fitba in the pub. Shouldn't think a new pair of y-fronts, a bra and a pair of socks would be a priority to anyone except maybe a Yam crossdresser.

Tell her to :giruy: see you Monday. :agree:

madabouthibs
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Yup, written warning at the very worst! Take it gay boy!!! :greengrin:agree:

Mikey
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
If you are feeling especially brave break a couple of fingers in your stock room and use that as an excuse for a weekend off.

And you can sue them as well :greengrin

HH81
08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I was going to pull a sickie if I didn't get the Friday off before, luckly I did :agree:

lyonhibs
08-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Yes. Unless she/one of your superiors/co-workers is at the Cup final, sees you and dobs you in, then yes. Assuming you're on a FT, signed contract and haven't had previous written warnings for unexplained absence then you have rights.

No matter how much a Jambo wench she may be, she can't just sack you off the bat if it's a 1st offence and she can't actually prove you were skiving.

McD
08-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I was the same situation for the final in 2007, was at every round bar one, and my boss (aka the cock) told me under no circumstance could I get it off, my dad and bro went and seen us pump Killie, gutted.

Feel for u mate

shagpile
08-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Tell her you're suffering from PMT.

If you are going to try it, don't leave it until next week. Get 'ill' by this Friday. What is a weeks pay compared to a cup final?

Bostonhibby
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I was going to pull a sickie if I didn't get the Friday off before, luckly I did :agree:

Am on teleconferences for most of the day Friday, its all bollox in comparison to the real priority so am hoping no one will hear the background noise as I head up the A1 :greengrin. Any suggestion I am not deskbound focussed on the day ahead will be met by the rustle of a crisp bag and some noises about static before the phone tragically melts never to work again, I will be so stressed by the whole event that I will be unable to function so will need a short break.

OP - an employer the size of yours may well have a self cert process for up to 5 days sick? Have to say you don't look particularly well already I'd take a lie down on Saturday 19th May if I was you :wink:

Lofarl
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Just march in and say I am taking Saturday off. FACtT. END OFF. Thats what I did. I said there is no force on Earth or Heaven that could keep me from it.

Speedy
08-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I was working (in a supermarket) when we won the league cup.

I regret not getting the day off now.

Phone with a really embarrassing "personal" injury, say you don't want to be too graphic but ask if she's seen "There's something about Mary".

No way she could make you come in after that :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Go above your bosses head and speak to someone higher up. If you have offered to take it as a holiday or unpaid leave and have offered to get someone to cover your shift then your boss has no legitimate reason for not allowing you the day off. It sounds to me like your boss is being vindictive.

essexhibee
08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Call in sick. They can't prove your not.

Legally they are required to give you a number of disciplinarys before you can be sacked. All your likely to get if anything is a verbal warning. I know this because my sister works for Debenhams and there is a series of steps that have to be taken.

They can't sack you for calling in sick.

frazeHFC
08-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I probably wouldn't if i was in the position, but how close have you came to thinking "i quit!"?

Feel for you though. :(

essexhibee
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I probably wouldn't if i was in the position, but how close have you came to thinking "i quit!"?

Feel for you though. :(

I wish I was in this predicament. Mr ticketless!!

Jack
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
If you are a Hibs player you're not allowed a day off, or even an off day.

If, on the other hand, you are an infiltrater from the dark side may I invite you and your team mates for pre-final drinks. I can assure you none will be able to work the next day :-)

KWJ
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Think you should go. Next needs you. Still get the ticket and I'll give you the dosh and a patronising pat on the head for it.
:cb

Hainan Hibs
08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
You'd never get over it if we won the cup.

Either demand it or pull a sickie:agree:

TheMentalHibees
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T bring it up again. If she's not a football fan, chances are she won't even realise when the day comes that it's on. Every man and his dog has pulled a sicky for much less, in this particular situation "if" shouldn't even come into it, you HAVE to go to the game. This is a once in a lifetime situation, you'll never forgive yourself if you miss it. When the morning of the 19th comes, all it takes is a 30 second phonecall (time may vary depending how much of a jobs worth cock your boss is) and you're sorted. Don't worry yourself silly about it, one day absent isn't going to get you the sack.

Sir David Gray
08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm one of the most conscientious people going about and I hate to let people down or do something I shouldn't but if I had been denied time off on the 19th May, I WOULD be calling in sick.

Fortunately, when I started my new job back in February, I had the foresight to put the 19th May in as a pre-arranged holiday which meant that they had to honour it!

We had just beaten Kilmarnock in the last 16 to book a place in the quarter finals and I thought it was best that I put it in then!

Seriously though, as others have said already, if you don't go to the final and we end up beating them, you would regret it until your dying day.

steakbake
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Do what you need to do... NEXT will cope without you for a day. But could you cope without being at the final if we win?

Madness - don't let a small matter like work get in the way. Life is defined by your adventures...

Hibercelona
08-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Ask her if she has an interest in the cinema or a candlelight dinner.

Be extremely charming about it and you might just get the day off. :wink:

EdinMike
08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm in discussions with my employment at the moment, I was told I have to work. I told them "I have to quit then" :agree:

Never come between a Man and his Dream..

Hibernian Verse
08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Fortunately my brother is getting married the day before so I've got the Saturday off as I'll be 'hungover in bed'. Hurray for me.

Beefster
09-05-2012, 05:26 AM
It's easy for someone uninvolved to say but I'm not sure I'd want to work for an employer with such a ****ty attitude to its employees' lives. Presumably, they've had plenty of notice to change rotas etc so I don't see what the problem is other than some jobsworth flexing their 'muscles'.

Tell them to stick their job and go and work for John Lewis or M&S.

hibsbollah
09-05-2012, 05:38 AM
I've never liked NEXT. Their shoes fall apart in double quick time and their 'fashion' seems to consist of cheezy union jack or hawaiian-themed garments emblazoned with 'laddish' mottos. The OPs confirms my prejudices.

And as beefster says, why work for a company/boss who clearly has no interest in their employees happiness. Do the sparky :giruy: and get another job. Your life will be better on two fronts.

calumb
09-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Something visible is what is required here, a broken arm is probably the best bet, so he should get someone to do the escape to victory routine over the bed and he's sorted.
If he is not brave enough to do that i am sure he could probably pay somebody up at the infirmary to put a cast on for him just make sure its not put on his drinking arm.

FRes Hibbie
09-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Allow me to point out some (slightly uncomfortable) facts:

- The last time we won the Scottish Cup was in 1902
- The last (and only) time we've ever played Hearts in the cup final was 1896
- The last time we were even in the Scottish Cup final was 2001.

These sorts of occasion aren't exactly the norm unfortunately.

Now, if the worst came to worst and you had to leave your job in order to go to the game how long would it take to find a new job? A couple weeks, a couple months?
I bet you'd have a new job before another game of this magnitude came around for us.

Besides, you probably wouldn't get sacked anyway! :aok:

Gatecrasher
09-05-2012, 06:15 AM
If you don't have a sick record or not off a lot a sickie is defo worth it, if you are on a final warning then it may be worth thinking off a more creative way. Either way get your ticket and get to the game.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Should have stuck in at school and got a proper job, now, what you doing with that ticket?

;-)

Steve-O
09-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Walking aboot folding pairs of jeans in Next or being at the cup final? Surely there is not even a discussion to be had?

bingo70
09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Phoning in sick is a complete no brainer, even if they know your at it I think there's nothing they can do, she'll be pissed off for a day or two but what woman isn't? In the worst case scenario she'll put a note on your file or something else that means absolutely nowt.

In the unlikely event it got to hr it sounds like you'd have a decent argument to suggest you were being picked on.

I'm_cabbaged
09-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Phoning in sick is a complete no brainer, even if they know your at it I think there's nothing they can do, she'll be pissed off for a day or two but what woman isn't? In the worst case scenario she'll put a note on your file or something else that means absolutely nowt.

In the unlikely event it got to hr it sounds like you'd have a decent argument to suggest you were being picked on.

You're getting picked on, go to the doctor with stress get signed off and he might prescribe Prozac for you. Will help with the big day nerves :)

s.a.m
09-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Mibbe wear a wig and a fake moustache on the big day, though. :dunno:

Just in case.

bingo70
09-05-2012, 07:34 AM
You're getting picked on, go to the doctor with stress get signed off and he might prescribe Prozac for you. Will help with the big day nerves :)

Tbh I was going to suggest that, if you tell a doctor you feel stressed and you believe your work is a factor you'll get signed off for a bit, you can go to the game without worrying if you're caught and you're work can't question it as you've got a doctor's line.

Pretty Boy
09-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Yes.

Unless someone is absolutely positive you were at the game. Even then its unlikely they will push for gross misconduct with instant dismissal.

I worked for Next part time for a couple of years when I was at uni and i know they can be total ***** about this sort of thing. If you've only spoken to your department manager, is it maybe worth going to the store manager, explaining the situation and offering a solution ie I'll take it as unpaid absence and arrange cover myself?

Phil MaGlass
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T bring it up again. If she's not a football fan, chances are she won't even realise when the day comes that it's on. Every man and his dog has pulled a sicky for much less, in this particular situation "if" shouldn't even come into it, you HAVE to go to the game. This is a once in a lifetime situation, you'll never forgive yourself if you miss it. When the morning of the 19th comes, all it takes is a 30 second phonecall (time may vary depending how much of a jobs worth cock your boss is) and you're sorted. Don't worry yourself silly about it, one day absent isn't going to get you the sack.

This one, when we win the cup you can say you were there for one of the biggest games in Scottish fitba history.
Theres no chance you will be done for taking a sickie, phone in sick on friday and thats you sorted.Dont miss the biggest game in YOUR LIFE you will hate yourself forever even if we lose, you really want to tell the grandkids you were there.
I think most of us have taken a sickie and lived to tell the tale.Trust me, Next will not be your last job. Also dont bring the final up again with her.

Broken Gnome
09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
What use are you going to be at work? You're not exactly going to be the greatest customer sales rep that day; first bit of moaning you here you'll end up unleashing all manner of rage at them.

Mind will be elsewhere. Not good for Next. Phone in sick. It's for the greater good.

dp00
09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
my manager of a well known supermarket just gave everyone who requested it off... for a number of reasons,

he understands that its the biggest game in years for both hibs and hearts fans

he knows that anyone refused would just call in sick anyway

and lastly

the shop is going to be dead, in fact it would prob be better closed , everyone who can will at least be watching this game on tv... between 3 & 4 edinburgh will be a ghost town

edinburghhibee
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I've got the exact same "issue" as you do mate, saturday has been restricted in my work and even folk who had the day off are to be in... PR!CKS!!!!

I'm still going to the final like others have said what they gonna do about it... fire me I'd be very suprised. Arse kicked yes certainly, but not fired. I'm going in a green morph suit and i'm not gonna be the only one in the ground wearing one so come find me boss.

If we win its worth the risk :aok:

HibeeHendo
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Sicky it is then! I couldn't face life if we won and I missed it just because of work.