PDA

View Full Version : Subbies for final

KeithTheHibby
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Good luck with that Pat, some players are going to be disappointed as only 5 can be named rather than 7.

Lets say the team is;

Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Stevenson
Osbourne
Claros
Soares

Griffiths
O'Connor

That leaves off the top of my head;

Sub keeper
O'Hanlon
Stephens
Francombe
Towell
Sproule
Murray
O'Donovan
Doyle
Wotherspoon

Apologies for any others I have missed out.

So who makes it from that group?

Sub keeper is a shoe in.
Francombe - for his flexiblity at right back and right midfield - if McPake or Hanlon get injured then Doherty slides over to CH.
Doyle - need a striker in there, Doyle has had some game time recently and looks to be 3rd choice striker.
Sproule - not worthy of a start but has potential to be a game changer and gives another option in attack. Can also play midfield.

So who gets the final place? All have their own merits however I think PF will probably go with Wotherspoon, he has been around the squad all season and would be tough on him not to make the 16.

Either way I don't fancy the conversations the manager has to make over the next ten days...

fitothewalk
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
would have francomb in my first 11 at right back move doherty into middle with mcpake and play paul hanlon at left back.were going to need plenty height at the back against hearts

Future17
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
After last night, I think the biggest dilemma is whether to start Doyle ahead of Griffiths.

dmc1875
08-05-2012, 01:20 PM
After last night, I think the biggest dilemma is whether to start Doyle ahead of Griffiths.

Or all three :greengrin That would be a bold move!

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Good luck with that Pat, some players are going to be disappointed as only 5 can be named rather than 7.

Lets say the team is;

Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Stevenson
Osbourne
Claros
Soares

Griffiths
O'Connor

That leaves off the top of my head;

Sub keeper
O'Hanlon
Stephens
Francombe
Towell
Sproule
Murray
O'Donovan
Doyle
Wotherspoon

Apologies for any others I have missed out.

So who makes it from that group?

Sub keeper is a shoe in.
Francombe - for his flexiblity at right back and right midfield - if McPake or Hanlon get injured then Doherty slides over to CH.
Doyle - need a striker in there, Doyle has had some game time recently and looks to be 3rd choice striker.
Sproule - not worthy of a start but has potential to be a game changer and gives another option in attack. Can also play midfield.

So who gets the final place? All have their own merits however I think PF will probably go with Wotherspoon, he has been around the squad all season and would be tough on him not to make the 16.

Either way I don't fancy the conversations the manager has to make over the next ten days...

I think that potential is sadly based on previous memories, brings absolutely nothing to the game anymore IMO.

Wotherspiniesta
08-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I'd have Francombe at left back in place of Kujabi.

Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Francombe

Soares Osbourne Claros Stevenson

Griffiths O'Connor

Which would leave the subs as:

Grant ---(obviously need a sub GK)
Kujabi ---(If McPake or Hanlon get injured, Doherty to CB, Francombe to RB and Kujabi LB. Or can take Stevenson's place on the left if we need more of an attacking threat)
Wotherspoon ---(Helped swing the game against Aberdeen and scored against QOS. Deserves a slot on the bench for that)
Doyle ---(On last nights evidence would be unlucky not to start. Also helped us through previous rounds)
Sproule---(Can still be an asset from the bench as an impact player. Would give it a 110% if given a chance)

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Our weak point last night was Lewis Stevenson in my opinion. The result was superb but he offered nothing once again in my eyes.

The midfield for the final has the be

Francombe. Ozzy. Claros. Soares

Stevenson will not stand a chance against Hearts, he has no physical presence and last night could hardly string a pass together.

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Brown

Griffiths O'Connor

Kujabi ---(If McPake or Hanlon get injured, Doherty to CB, Francombe to RB and Kujabi LB. Or can take Stevenson's place on the left if we need more of an attacking threat)
Wotherspoon ---(Helped swing the game against Aberdeen and scored against QOS. Deserves a slot on the bench for that)
Doyle ---(On last nights evidence would be unlucky not to start. Also helped us through previous rounds)
Sproule---(Can still be an asset from the bench as an impact player. Would give it a 110% if given a chance)

Why would you play a right back at left back when KUJABI has been pretty decent since he signed?? You don't need big full backs, as long as they are fast and can put a tackle in! KUJABI offers that!

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Our weak point last night was Lewis Stevenson in my opinion. The result was superb but he offered nothing once again in my eyes.

The midfield for the final has the be

Francombe. Ozzy. Claros. Soares

Stevenson will not stand a chance against Hearts, he has no physical presence and last night could hardly string a pass together.

I disagree!

scoopyboy
08-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Brown

Griffiths O'Connor

??????????????????

Wotherspiniesta
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
??????????????????

Cowden, sorry!

Wotherspiniesta
08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Why would you play a right back at left back when KUJABI has been pretty decent since he signed?? You don't need big full backs, as long as they are fast and can put a tackle in! KUJABI offers that!

Francombe played well at left back last night. Thought Kujabi struggled before he went off. Kujabi has been decent, but is a bit suspect defensively IMO.

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I disagree!

Trying hard doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid! I can't fault him for effort, he is too easy pushed off the ball, NEVER takes a man on, his final ball we never get to see as he ain't that positive hence the no assists or goals this season. I ain't looking to put the boy down but we need better. I don't expect to see us in this position again with 2 games left. 2 wingers are what we need and badly! It would then allow ozzy and claros to play there game as opposed to getting dragged all over the place!

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Francombe played well at left back last night. Thought Kujabi struggled before he went off. Kujabi has been decent, but is a bit suspect defensively IMO.

I agree, last night wasn't his best but the boy is a decent player! Took a heavy knock early on. The best left back we have had for a while

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Trying hard doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid! I can't fault him for effort, he is too easy pushed off the ball, NEVER takes a man on, his final ball we never get to see as he ain't that positive hence the no assists or goals this season. I ain't looking to put the boy down but we need better. I don't expect to see us in this position again with 2 games left. 2 wingers are what we need and badly! It would then allow ozzy and claros to play there game as opposed to getting dragged all over the place!

Another that thinks trying hard and effort is all that Stevenson is about, many fans, players and more importantly the Manager know better!

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Another that thinks trying hard and effort is all that Stevenson is about, many fans, players and more importantly the Manager know better!

Are you serious? Tell me what he offers? I am interested to know.

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

PeterboroHibee
08-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Dont think its much of a dilema, you can more or less name the starting 11 where apart from injuries I assume it will be the team that played last night with Griffiths in for Doyle.

Bench you need a keeper so Grant, Sproule and Doyle will be there (pace off the bench), I imagine Francomb (unless Kujabi went off last night with an injury?) leaving Wotherspoon. I suppose you could make a case for a CB but Doherty can easily switch to there if need be, and the others in that list have hardly played (Stephens, O'Hanlon, Murray, Towell). The only person who is really going to miss out is ROD but he isnt our player and hasnt made a significant contribution so cant do much about it.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 02:31 PM

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

Mate there's no point in my trying to enlighten you as you clearly haven't got a clue about our player of the year! If you can only judge a midfielder by assists and goals and can't appreciate what else he does then I'm wasting my time in trying to explain to you. Just comfort yourself in the knowledge that football people who know much more about the game than you do can see what he brings to the game and have shown it with their votes of confidence in him this season!

R'Albin
08-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Brown

Griffiths O'Connor

This is exactly what I would go for :agree:

DH1875
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Subs will be;

Grant.
Kujabi/Francombe.
O'Hanlon.
Ivan.
Doyle.

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Mate there's no point in my trying to enlighten you as you clearly haven't got a clue about our player of the year! If you can only judge a midfielder by assists and goals and can't appreciate what else he does then I'm wasting my time in trying to explain to you. Just comfort yourself in the knowledge that football people who know much more about the game than you do can see what he brings to the game and have shown it with their votes of confidence in him this season!

I am asking you to tell me what he brings to the team, don't give me the 'you know nothing about football guff'
The boy offers nothing but effort! And yes, midfielders should be judged on assists and goals. He never tries to go passed his man and everything that leaves his feet goes sideways.

marinello59
08-05-2012, 02:54 PM

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

No you are not. You have made up your mind about Lewis and will remain totally blind to any good things he does whilst accusing those praising him of knowing nowt. His team mates voted him their Player of the year, wonder why that was.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I am asking you to tell me what he brings to the team, don't give me the 'you know nothing about football guff'
The boy offers nothing but effort! And yes, midfielders should be judged on assists and goals. He never tries to go passed his man and everything that leaves his feet goes sideways.

And there in ends the lesson, you have proved my point perfectly.............................next!

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:02 PM
No you are not. You have made up your mind about Lewis and will remain totally blind to any good things he does whilst accusing those praising him of knowing nowt. His team mates voted him their Player of the year, wonder why that was.

I ain't accusing anyone of anything! It's my opinion, all I'm asking is to be told what I'm missing and you still can't tell me!

As I have said, I can't fault the guy for trying but I think skippy the bush kangaroo could have won player of the year in that team this year.

marinello59
08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I ain't accusing anyone of anything! It's my opinion, all I'm asking is to be told what I'm missing and you still can't tell me!

As I have said, I can't fault the guy for trying but I think skippy the bush kangaroo could have won player of the year in that team this year.

In a team that contained Garry O, McPake and Griffiths ? We should sign him up then. Are you sure you actually go to games?

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
And there in ends the lesson, you have proved my point perfectly.............................next!

Answer my question then you complete tool!

Don't say he plays the sitting role and breaks up play effectively or I will laugh at you! Educate me

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
In a team that contained Garry O, McPake and Griffiths ? We should sign him up then. Are you sure you actually go to games?

Sarcasm my friend! Go and buy yourself an dictionary

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:07 PM

And let's be fair Gary O has doubled in size since the start of the season! Leigh griffiths would have been my choice but only because James McPake only signed in January

marinello59
08-05-2012, 03:07 PM

I ain't your friend. Go buy yourself a season ticket and watch some fitba. :na na:

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Don't say he plays the sitting role and breaks up play effectively or I will laugh at you! Educate me

Now you're name calling!:applause:

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Now you're name calling!:applause:

And still I await an answer!

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 03:13 PM
And still I await an answer!

When you start name calling I have only one further things to say :bye:

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
When you start name calling I have only one further things to say :bye:

No wonder, I have asked you on several occasions to educate me on this and you remain on the fence. I presume this is down the fact you can't come up with anything!

seven nowt
08-05-2012, 03:28 PM

I've said for over a month that Doyle deserved a start...still think O'Connor's more likely to be the one who loses his place though..

The Sea-gull
08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I've said for over a month that Doyle deserved a start...still think O'Connor's more likely to be the one who loses his place though..

Sorry but O'Connor will only lose his place if he is ill, injured or his head is not right with his court issues. He has scored 16 goals in an injury hit season in a poor team with all kinds of personal problems hanging over him. All being well, I just don't see how we can start a big game like this without him.

For me if any place is up for debate it is between Doyle and Griffiths, even then the debate is a short one. LG has 11 goals to his name including one already scored at hampden. He has been a bit inconsistent but remains the one player we have who can pull something out of the bag. Doyle has played well once albeit very well but against Dunfermline, the league's bottom team.

Is there a way PF can go with all three in a really bold move. A bit like playing all your aces too soon maybe but how about:-

Brown

Doherty
McPake
Hanlon
Kujabi

Osbourne
Stevenson
Soares

Doyle
O'Connor
Griffiths

GreenPJ
08-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Doyle will be on the bench I think. I would also give Murray 90 mins against ict and if he comes through unscathed I would have him in on the basis that in all likelihood his last game he can cover 3 positions is needed and if we need someone to come on and get phyiscal am sure he would do the job.

After that francomb the keeper and Spoony would be my 5

hibsbollah
08-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I am far from Ian's biggest fan, but id have him on the bench. Desire will have a big part to play in this game.

I cant believe anyone is talking about moving Hanlon around. He and McPake are our best pairing at CB for years, dont mess with it. Doc is another no-brainer, and Kujabi, although below par yesterday, is still capable of changing games and should start.

The midfield is a toughie. If we're playing a straight across 442, i would say Lewis is in danger of missing out to Francombe. But if we are playing with a holding midfielder (or even two), hes the first name on the teamsheet.

Doyle was special last night; saying that, he shouldnt dislodge either GOC or Griffiths in a 442, and a 433 wont work against them IMO, so Doyler on the bench please.

AlbertK86
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Subs for me should be
Grant
Francomb
Doyle
O'Donovan
Murray

Ivan no thanks.... Roy O D just as fast and can control and pass better

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Team and subs for me

Brown
Francombe
Hanlon
Mcpake
Doherty
Claros
Osbourne
Stevenson
Soares
Griffiths
O'Connor

Subs

Grant
Kujabi
Doyle
Wotherspoon
Caldwell

Ivan - Offers no impact even from the bench anymore
Murray - No room for sentiment
O Donovan - No impact anytime

Aldo
08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Team

Brown
Doherty McPake Hanlon Kujabi
Ozzy Soares Claros Lewy
Gazza LG

Subs

Keeper
Francomb
Doyle
Sproule
O Donovan

Aldo
08-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Meant to say the thought of moving Hanlon should not even be thought about IMHO. For me he has been excellent alongside McPake and s in his position.

PeterboroHibee
08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
For me if any place is up for debate it is between Doyle and Griffiths, even then the debate is a short one. LG has 11 goals to his name including one already scored at hampden. He has been a bit inconsistent but remains the one player we have who can pull something out of the bag. Doyle has played well once albeit very well but against Dunfermline, the league's bottom team.

Dont think Griffiths has been inconsistant for months, hes really come on as a player and is by far our best player going forward. Even when he isnt scoring, he has a quality touch (against Aberdeen the other week was amazing), links up well when he gets his head up and can do things noone else in the team is capable of. He seems to be one of these players that does his best stuff when hes under pressure, when hes got a bit more time thats when he seems to make poorer decisions, but even thats not really a criticism.

Wasnt sure when he first signed and the way Calderwood was using him out wide as part of a front 3 made him look awful, but Im hugely impressed at the player he is now!

Judas Iscariot
08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Brown

Sproule Osbourne Claros Soares

GOC Griffiths

Subs

Grant
Kujabi
Murray
Stevenson
Doyle

dp00
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
my team for the final would be

Brown

Doyle Osbourne Claros Stevenson

Griffiths O'Connor

sure i heard somewhere that doyle used to play on the wing... from last night he has pace, skill and can beat a man

Judas Iscariot
08-05-2012, 07:49 PM
my team for the final would be

Brown

Doyle Osbourne Claros Stevenson

Griffiths O'Connor

sure i heard somewhere that doyle used to play on the wing... from last night he has pace, skill and can beat a man

If they 2 both start on the left against them we will be slaughtered down that flank

Albion Hibs
08-05-2012, 08:44 PM
For the subs slot I would go with

- Keeper
- Doyle
- Francomb
- Murray
- Sproule

Keeper because it would be silly not to, Doyle probably purely because of his performance last night, Francomb as an option to replace full backs as they will no doubt have a tough game given the pace of the hertz wide players, Murray as he can play CM, CH, and LB if needed, and sproule as an attacking option / a bit of pace.

500miles
08-05-2012, 09:13 PM
If they 2 both start on the left against them we will be slaughtered down that flank

Remind me of the last time we got "slaughtered down that flank?". IMO, we don't lose any more down the left, as we do down the right.

I'd have Stevenson shadowing Skacel all day.

lyonhibs
08-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Remind me of the last time we got "slaughtered down that flank?". IMO, we don't lose any more down the left, as we do down the right.

I'd tell him that that was his one and only job on Cup Final day. Never mind about anyone/anything else. If Stevenson is to start, I'd want him to have a brief that included following Skacel into the pisser if necessary.

Shut down Skacel and get Ozzy and/or Jorge to take care of Ian Black (and by "take care of" I mean "hammer") early doors and we'll have 3 fingers on the Scottish Cup already.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Surprised at a couple of people going for Murray as one of their subs, the guys been out injured and surely doesn't rate a place on the bench ahead of anyone else at this stage of the season.

Baldy Foghorn
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

LS voted player of year, from his team-mates......Now are you going to say that his team-mates know hee-haw, or are you going to back track, and realise he has been a very influential player for us this season, and fully merited his contract extension?

3pm
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM

Stevenson will be on the left to protect Kujabi and half winger number 1, probably Suso.

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
LS voted player of year, from his team-mates......Now are you going to say that his team-mates know hee-haw, or are you going to back track, and realise he has been a very influential player for us this season, and fully merited his contract extension?

I ain't back tracking at all, his effort would merit it! All I'm saying is that he offers very little!

1. He is afraid/incapable of taking a man on
2. He offers no support to the strikers
3. He scores no goals (1 in 140 odd matches)
4. He has no assists this season
5. Everything goes backwards or sideways

On a positive he is a trier!

If we are aspiring to be a top 6 team again then he ain't the answer!

lyonhibs
08-05-2012, 10:31 PM

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

You'd best pass your concerns on to Paddy Fenlon. He's the manager who has consistently picked Lewis Stevenson :agree:

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
You'd best pass your concerns on to Paddy Fenlon. He's the manager who has consistently picked Lewis Stevenson :agree:

Should I need to remind you, 2nd bottom of the league, saved from
Relegation on the last match, 17 goals in 19atches at home with only 2 league wins, not to mention 30 conceded! £405 well spent on my season ticket!
Gates down to under 9000. Should I continue or do we just accept the what we have???
Fenlon will turn us round, all I'm doing is voicining my opinion on a player who offers nothing! There is no stat that tells me to think otherwise! Out of his depths on the wing and never a central
Midfielder in his puff, too light weight.

Oh and before I'm eaten up, I know all the things mentioned above where down to the squad!

Deano_70
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
2nd last match before Im corrected too

scoopyboy
09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
For the subs slot I would go with

- Keeper
- Doyle
- Francomb
- Murray
- Sproule

Keeper because it would be silly not to, Doyle probably purely because of his performance last night, Francomb as an option to replace full backs as they will no doubt have a tough game given the pace of the hertz wide players, Murray as he can play CM, CH, and LB if needed, and sproule as an attacking option / a bit of pace.

Murray is finished IMO.

You say he can play CH, CM and LB if required but your other subs can cover those positions.

If a CH goes off move Doherty in and bring on Francomb at rb. Similarly Francomb can cover LB as he did the other night if Kujabi goes off.

Another option would be Hanlon to LB.

Wotherspoon would be a sub for me.

JimBHibees
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Subs for me should be
Grant
Francomb
Doyle
O'Donovan
Murray

Ivan no thanks.... Roy O D just as fast and can control and pass better

Not for me Ivan has a massive heart and is an impact player from the bench. Doyle will cover the forward role. Ivan is an ideal player to come on late on against tiring defenders he can come on and score the 2nd in injury time to tie it up on a breakaway. :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Murray is finished IMO.

You say he can play CH, CM and LB if required but your other subs can cover those positions.

If a CH goes off move Doherty in and bring on Francomb at rb. Similarly Francomb can cover LB as he did the other night if Kujabi goes off.

Another option would be Hanlon to LB.

Wotherspoon would be a sub for me.

Totally agree scoop.

Murray's the sentimental choice for some folk. It's not a game for that.

patlowe
09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I personally think the team is pretty much the 11 that started the semi but with Stevenson in for Sproule. In terms of the bench, I'd say it's obvious apart from a toss-up between Sproule and Wotherspoon. Wotherspoon is a great option off the bench at the moment IMO and I would plump for him.

Future17
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM

0 assists
0 goals

Enlighten me please

Scott Parker has played 38 games for Spurs this season. 1 goal and 1 assist. Does he offer nothing to Spurs?

Prior to his injury, Tom Cleverley played 15 games for Man Utd this season. 0 goals, 1 assist. Would you not take him at Easter Road?

You can't have a team where all your midfielders are tasked to score goals and provide assists. There must be a balance to the team between defence and attack. For example, a good, defensive-midfielder can play the sitting (or holding) role and break up play effectively.

Oops, sorry - feel free to laugh if you like.

Irony my friend.

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Scott Parker has played 38 games for Spurs this season. 1 goal and 1 assist. Does he offer nothing to Spurs?

Prior to his injury, Tom Cleverley played 15 games for Man Utd this season. 0 goals, 1 assist. Would you not take him at Easter Road?

You can't have a team where all your midfielders are tasked to score goals and provide assists. There must be a balance to the team between defence and attack. For example, a good, defensive-midfielder can play the sitting (or holding) role and break up play effectively.

Oops, sorry - feel free to laugh if you like.

Irony my friend.

Think you're wasting your time TBH, he clearly doesn't have a clue and unless he sees a midfielder bursting forward scoring goals then he can't see anything! Even the player of the year award and the Fenlon's faith in Stevenson doesn't tell him anything!!!