PDA

View Full Version : Not getting the credit we deserve for last night's performance

MB62
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
It seems to be a recurring theme with the media and Jumbo Jim too that last night's scoreline flattered us and that the Pars played the better football and controlled the midfield. I have to totally disagree with this, ok, with my green tinted specs on obviously, but the lads went out in our most vital game of the season, and completely destroyed the Pars in the first 15 minutes. This game is about putting the ball in the net and we did this three times early on. It was then going to take them to score four without us adding to our tally, so why would we want to be gungho about things?

IMO, it was a totally professional performance by our lads and once three goals in front, we were able to give the Pars as much of the ball as they wanted and then hit them on the break, it's called tactics and we got them spot on.

So, did the scoreline flatter us? not in my opinion. Okay the 4th goal was never over the line and Dunfy had 2 or three chance that they might have scored, but didn't, but so did we, in fact I would say we had more chances that we didn't score from (and should have scored from) than Dunfy did, so I reckon our lads deserve a lot more credit from the media than what they have been given this morning.
I'm surprised at Mixu and Sheils opinion, these guys should know better and should have given P.F. more credit for his tactics rather than just looking at who had more of the ball.

Well done EVERYBODY for last night, 4-0 did not flatter us at all.

GGTTH

DaveF
08-05-2012, 10:12 AM
The media have a love in with Jefferies so they were never going to give us credit for last night.

Yes, Dunfermline had more of the ball, because after that opening 15mins we didn't have to go chasing anything - The onus was all on them.

Apart from a couple of half chances, I don't recall them having many efforts in the 2nd half, whereas we had 3 glaring opportunities. (Doyle sitter, Doherty header which he somehow failed to connect with, and GOC shot, which he probably should have squared)

hibsbollah
08-05-2012, 10:13 AM
We destroyed them all over the pitch. I havent looked at the media and ive got no interestvin doing so. I'd be more worried if we were being talked up prior to the final anyway...

Liam_Hibs
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
We were much better.

After our third, our midfield lost its shape and Dunfermline were playing the better football until the end of the first half. We then came out in the second half, controlled the game and should have scored a few more goals.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hibs7
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
We could have and should have scored 6 or 7. It would have been fair considering the chances we created.

--------
08-05-2012, 10:31 AM
BBC website has possession as 53% to Hibs, 47% to the Pars.

Not quite sure how that squares with them bossing us around.

MountcastleHibs
08-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah I've heard quite a bit of this 'the Par's were the better team' chat.

That maybe the case, but for 15 minutes we decimated them, and then allowed them to play while we sat back.

In the second half we were passing the ball around between midfield and defence and keeping possession wonderfully. It almost felt like a training game at time, it was that easy imo.

As the OP says, a professional performance indeed.

Nevi1875
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The media have a love in with Jefferies so they were never going to give us credit for last night.

Yes, Dunfermline had more of the ball, because after that opening 15mins we didn't have to go chasing anything - The onus was all on them.

Apart from a couple of half chances, I don't recall them having many efforts in the 2nd half, whereas we had 3 glaring opportunities. (Doyle sitter, Doherty header which he somehow failed to connect with, and GOC shot, which he probably should have squared)

Doyles header was cleared of the line aswell

After the last couple of weeks of media wanting us to go down I would like to take this moment and give them a GIRFUY

GGTTH

LancashireHibby
08-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Pars had a couple of half chances in the first half but apart from that I thought we controlled and dictated the game. Great to see the ball being passed about instead of lumping it up towards O'Connor and hoping for the best.

WestEndHibee
08-05-2012, 11:04 AM
It was all about the tactics. When Hibs got the ball they were so direct, they went on the attack as soon as they got it. They'd create a chance and either score it or Dunfy would regain the ball at which point Hibs dropped back slightly and almost just let them have it in their own half. The only reason Dunfermline looked like they had the ball for so long was because they could find the openings that Hibs were finding. I think Pat Fenlon got it spot on. Coming into that game must have been horrible for the players but they blew the critics away with that first 15.

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

basehibby
08-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I think you could say that the scoreline flattered us a wee bit in that the penalty was soft and Hanlon's goal shouldn't have stood but we still clearly deserved to win.

Of course we could have scored a few more, but then so could have the Pars scored a couple. I haven't read anyone saying that Dunfermline bossed the midfield but they have been given credit for contributing to an entertaining match - which they did despite being as good as done for after 15 minutes.

truehibernian
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Did anyone twat, I mean tweet Liam McLeod to ask 'were you listening Liam ' ?

malcky
08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I think you could say that the scoreline flattered us a wee bit in that the penalty was soft and Hanlon's goal shouldn't have stood but we still clearly deserved to win.

Of course we could have scored a few more, but then so could have the Pars scored a couple. I haven't read anyone saying that Dunfermline bossed the midfield but they have been given credit for contributing to an entertaining match - which they did despite being as good as done for after 15 minutes.

Don't think it was a soft penalty at all and I thought we played better in the second half created good chances.well done th the hibs stepped up to the mark in some critical games I.e Dunfermline away Inverness and Aberdeen as well let's hope for one more at hampden:pfgwa

dwlt
08-05-2012, 11:21 AM
It's funny, I didn't hear anyone accuse Kilmarnock of daylight robbery when they beat us with their only shot in the entire game (a penalty at that) while we had about 15. As others have said, the game's about scoring goals whilst preventing your opponent from doing the same - we did both extremely well, Dunfermline did neither, so I don't see how that "flatters" us.

Diclonius
08-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Our strategy was to let them have the ball and quickly counter attack the moment we won possession.

They had plenty of the play but did **** all with it. We didn't.

CallumLaidlaw
08-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Did anyone twat, I mean tweet Liam McLeod to ask 'were you listening Liam ' ?

I certainly did. Lol.

There's no argument here. We scored 3 legit goals, conceded none and had 3 other clear cut chances. Dunfermline lacked no cutting edge and their tactic seemed to be shoot whenever you get within 30 yards of goal. I expected more fight from them, especially coming out in the 2nd half but they had none. I thought we were tactically spot on and done a very professional job once 3-0 up