PDA

View Full Version : FAO Those watching West Ham v Cardiff...Quick Question

Hibernian Verse
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Just need a quick answer, preferably from those with Sky+.

Was Nolan offside? The guy on the post is actually behind the line when the ball is headed onto Nolan. Is he therefore not in play and not active or is the goal still in play?

I only ask as I know if you are outside the white lines anywhere else on the the field you're out of play and can't count towards offside.

Cheers!

SouthamptonHibs
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I believe he's on side as im sure you need to ask permission from the ref to leave the field

PaulSmith
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Was Nolan offside? The guy on the post is actually behind the line when the ball is headed onto Nolan. Is he therefore not in play and not active or is the goal still in play?

I only ask as I know if you are outside the white lines anywhere else on the the field you're out of play and can't count towards offside.

Cheers!

In that situation he's onside, the player that stepped of the pitch is judged to be on the goal line. Changed after Holland v Italy in a Euro/World cup final 5-6 years back where Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored

HibeeMG
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, you're still classed as playing a player onside if you leave the field without permission.

Hibernian Verse
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Cheers guys!

McD
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Cheers!

If a defensive player is behind the goal line, he is playing everyone onside (until play stops and thr referee allows him to seek attention). Otherwise, a defender could simply step over the line rather than make an effort to get himself back into his proper position.

It happened with a chelsea player a few years ago and their players kicked up **** with the ref who allowed the goal, but were made to look very stupid when it was checked and the ref was correct. Think it was carvalho.

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I believe he's on side as im sure you need to ask permission from the ref to leave the field

:agree:

IIRC, a player who has run/fallen/rolled/whatever off of the pitch without permission is considered to be on the pitch at the nearest point to him - so in this case Nolan would be considered to be standing on the goal line and presumably playing someone onside.

Anyone else love the You Are The Ref cartoon in the Grauniad?