PDA

View Full Version : People's view on selling tickets at over face value ?

Graham Law
07-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I was in the pub yesterday after my football match talking to a few of the guys in the team and telling them how big this Scottish Cup final is and how much it means to everyone and the conversation moved towards tickets for this event and how hard it is to get one.

It then moved onto how much people would be willing to pay for them.

I told them that paying over face value in Scotland was deemed to be ripping your fellow fans off I was meet with a total disagreement from the Aussie guys saying that if people are in an unfortunate position of not having a ticket for a sporting game of a team that they support and someone was in a position to resolve this problem for them at a cost agreed by the seller and buyer then they seen no problem in this and would in actual fact think nothing bad of the sellers moral ethics what so ever ????

This got me thinking as my view on it has always been that tickets should always be sold at face value and I guess still is.... BUT ... do they have a point ?

Is it any different to paying over the odds for other things in life that many of us do on a very regular basis ?

hibsboy90
07-05-2012, 01:05 AM
IMO it depends on the buyer, if you know them then never above face value. However if they appear someone who is willing to pay whatever is required, without being a hardcore fan (not wanting to spark a debate - more the type who think it would be 'nice' to go to the final) then selling above could be morally justifiable.

Hibrandenburg
07-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Supply and demand. Would seem to work with all other products on the market so why should the price of tickets be different?

I personally would try and give my ticket to family or friends and there's enough Hibbies amongst them to ensure it would never get to the free market.

Beefster
07-05-2012, 05:22 AM
I think that it's touting.

I had tickets for Coldplay and Stone Roses this June but had to sell them because our plans have changed. I sold them at face value so that we weren't out of pocket but had no inclination to make any money from them. Maybe I'm the strange one and those making a fortune from selling their unwanted tickets are the normal ones.

Kris1875
07-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Well Ive got my tickets for the final but I didn't put the applications in together so me and the missus can't sit together (no wasn't on purpose) so I'll be trying to either win in the ballot or will try and get 2 together in the public sale so may have the possibility for ending up with 6 and I can assure everyone they will all go to good hibees that either aren't lucky enough in the ballot or don't get through on the public sale and all for face value , you shouldn't be ripping off fellow hibees !!!

Malonga's Cat
07-05-2012, 06:22 AM
you shouldn't be ripping off fellow hibees !!!

Totally agree. People with a spare ticket should be giving them to fellow hibby's at face value. Anything else makes you a tout and totally not in the spirit of all pulling together to support hibs. It's such a massive game, why rip off a fellow hibby? :no way:

Onceinawhile
07-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Face value plus any additional charges.

hibee81
07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
for what its worth, I have payed £170 for my ticket and would have doubled it if i had to, not through buying of Hibees but an online ticket company, did not want to take the chance of missing out on a ticket public sale. But if people are willing to pay the money then I dont see the harm, were in a recession dont you know and at the end of the day money talks!!!!!!!!

Jack
07-05-2012, 07:01 AM
To turn this about a little.

Its not a Hibs match and the OF aren't involved. Its a sell out game and you have a ticket for a neutral part of the ground and you're not really fussy about going.

What's fair now?

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2012, 07:08 AM
I was in the pub yesterday after my football match talking to a few of the guys in the team and telling them how big this Scottish Cup final is and how much it means to everyone and the conversation moved towards tickets for this event and how hard it is to get one.

I told them that paying over face value in Scotland was deemed to be ripping your fellow fans off I was meet with a total disagreement from the Aussie guys saying that if people are in an unfortunate position of not having a ticket for a sporting game of a team that they support and someone was in a position to resolve this problem for them at a cost agreed by the seller and buyer then they seen no problem in this and would in actual fact think nothing bad of the sellers moral ethics what so ever ????

This got me thinking as my view on it has always been that tickets should always be sold at face value and I guess still is.... BUT ... do they have a point ?

Is it any different to paying over the odds for other things in life that many of us do on a very regular basis ?

:confused: I think you have maybe been mislead by some on this board with regard to that statement and are confusing the feeling amongst fellow Hibees with the reality of the real world. The value of anything is what someone is willling to pay for it, just because a ticket has a price printed on it doesn't make it any different IMO.
I just included refreshments and catering with my tickets, each ticket sold at four times face value included a bottle of juice and a bag of crips, my conscience clear and wallet bulging, happy days all round! :wink:

shagpile
07-05-2012, 07:09 AM

Its not a Hibs match and the OF aren't involved. Its a sell out game and you have a ticket for a neutral part of the ground and you're not really fussy about going.

What's fair now?

Exactly. Clubs rip off supporters [in one way or another] every season, yet as soon as an individual is seen to be making a bit of cash then it becomes 'touting of profiteering' or ripping off fellow supporters. If someone is willing[or daft enough!] to pay more than something is worth ,then tough ****. Let them pay.

hibee
07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I gave my spares to family for face value but if I had more and was offered enough to cover my family ST costs for next season right now I'd probably take it!

Cauld Bovril
07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
If i had a spare ticket, it would go to one of many friends who are relying on the public sale. At face value. My wife is in the "it would be nice to go" category but she understands that if i get lucky in the ballot tonight, my ticket stub will go to someone who would appreciate it more.

My Stone Roses tickets, on the other hand, would be straight on Ebay for as much as i could get if i couldn`t go.

easty
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
for what its worth, I have payed £170 for my ticket and would have doubled it if i had to, not through buying of Hibees but an online ticket company, did not want to take the chance of missing out on a ticket public sale. But if people are willing to pay the money then I dont see the harm, were in a recession dont you know and at the end of the day money talks!!!!!!!!

:faf:

_hucks_
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
What have you done, as a ticket holder, to increase the value of the ticket? The answer is absolutely nothing, which is why it seems wrong to be flogging it off at a profit.

greenlex
07-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Its a ****ing disgrace. End off

Holmesdale Hibs
07-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Face value + any admin costs paid is fair enough. I personally wouldn't charge more than that.

Onion
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Paying over face value for an ticket is ok in my book; simply supply & demand. So if a Yam had a ticket to the Hibs end and offered it to me at 2 or 3 times face value, then that's fine - his prerogative and my choice whether to buy or not.

HOWEVER, we all like to think that Hibs fans (in the widest sense) are part of the Hibernian Family. I would not expect a member of my family to charge me 2 or 3 times FV for anything, and so would be hugely disappointed if a fellow Hibby was flogging Hibs tickets at that mark up. IMHO they are not Hibs fans - they are basically ripping Hibs fans off. So IMHO it depends who is selling the ticket.

easty
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Face value + any admin costs paid is fair enough. I personally wouldn't charge more than that.

:agree:

If you're selling 'spare tickets' for the game then you shouldnt be looking to cost your fellow Hibbys more than you paid.

I'd say that if you had just one ticket for yourself and someone wanted to buy it from you, then that's different. But buying more tickets than you need just to make a profit is a bit **** as far as I'm concerned.

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
What have you done, as a ticket holder, to increase the value of the ticket? The answer is absolutely nothing, which is why it seems wrong to be flogging it off at a profit.

Obtained it when others couldn't.

HFC07
07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Hibby to Hibby...... face value plus booking fee etc.
I hate to make money off of a fellow hibby for a game.

_hucks_
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Obtained it when others couldn't.

Thats not increased its intrinsic value though. No extra labour has gone into the product, its not gained any extra use value.

marinello59
07-05-2012, 08:53 AM

What's fair now?

I would still only sell at face value. I can't really explain why I feel that way, it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Thats not increased its intrinsic value though. No extra labour has gone into the product, its not gained any extra use value.

The person who's desperate to have it then values it and pays what he thinks it's worth, hence me having it and him not being able to get one increased the value of the ticket!

To be clear though my +1's went to Hibees at face value. However if I was desperate for cash I would have no problem selling them at a higher rate on the open market.

Baker9
07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I think it is out of order if it is done for financial gain but I will buy one (within reason, say £60) if I don't get a ticket in Wednesday's sale.

NAE NOOKIE
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
If I had a ticket for the mens final at Wimbledon and somebody wanted to give me a stupid amount of money for it ..... Happy days :greengrin

If I had a spare ticket for the 19th of May would I sell it to a Hibby above face value? ... no chance. IMO you dont make money out of your fellow Hibbies .. end of story.

I know the Tache doesnt look at it from that point of view ... But its his job to make money for Hibs :greengrin

Nevi1875
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Face value 100%

jon paul jones
07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Besides, you would get the value of the ticket back in 25 years when the paper copy is sold on ebay. Not that I would ever relinquish my spare 6-2 ticket I found on the floor of the east that rainy night (sigh nostalgia sigh)

LancashireHibby
07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Can certainly see why people would pay over the odds - however, I don't think any of us on here would be hard-faced enough to try and rip off a fellow Hibby. Bit different for concerts etc.

essexhibee
07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Wish I could get a ticket :(

iwasthere1972
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

If someone goes out their way to obtain a ticket knowing that they aren't personally going to be using it themselves but instead selling it on at a mega profit then they are the lowest of the lowest.

Supply and demand. More like Supply and Rip-off.

I wouldn't buy one off them even if I was Bill Gates.

surreyhibbie
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Wish I could get a ticket :(

me too. :boo hoo:

But, to answer the OP, No, I would never take extra money from a fellow Hibbie

From a Yam, yes, by the bucketload if I could. But never a Hibbie.

Albion Hibs
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
:confused: I think you have maybe been mislead by some on this board with regard to that statement and are confusing the feeling amongst fellow Hibees with the reality of the real world. The value of anything is what someone is willling to pay for it, just because a ticket has a price printed on it doesn't make it any different IMO.
I just included refreshments and catering with my tickets, each ticket sold at four times face value included a bottle of juice and a bag of crips, my conscience clear and wallet bulging, happy days all round! :wink:

You are confusing 'value' with 'worth'. The ticket still has a value of £X - its original price. However, what it is 'worth' is in effect the amount which someone, a personal and independent choice, is willing to part with to get it.

I dont really agree with someone bumping up the price, however, I do understand why it happens and why people want it. It may be seen as wrong for the club not to make this money, but at the end of the day I guess that someone who otherwise would not have been at the game is getting to go, and to them that is all that probably matters. The brightside of it is I am sure every so often these folk get left with tickets burning a hole in their pockets!

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
You are confusing 'value' with 'worth'. The ticket still has a value of £X - its original price. However, what it is 'worth' is in effect the amount which someone, a personal and independent choice, is willing to part with to get it.

I dont really agree with someone bumping up the price, however, I do understand why it happens and why people want it. It may be seen as wrong for the club not to make this money, but at the end of the day I guess that someone who otherwise would not have been at the game is getting to go, and to them that is all that probably matters. The brightside of it is I am sure every so often these folk get left with tickets burning a hole in their pockets!

I think you are confusing yourself.

value = the worth of something compared to the price paid or asked for it:

Eyrie
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd think that any Hibs fan with a spare ticket would have plenty of genuine friends who deserve it at face value and so no opportunity to sell it at a price which would make a banker blush.

franks
07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Real football fans never charge more than face value when selling on a ticket. I have had hard to obtain tickets in the past and have sold them on to fellow fans at face value, just as I did with my spare ticket to the final.

HibsMax
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Haven't read any of the posts to this thread yet but my opinion is that if you have too many tickets, offload them to someone who needs them for face value (plus any other expenses you might have incurred - which is not to say that you add on 50 bucks). I almost bought a ticket online for the Cup Final. It was going to be 140 quid which I could almost stomach....then I clicked on buy and there were 50 quid added on as a service fee. Really? 50 quid "service fee".

Anyway, I digress, I would not fleece a fellow Hibee. I would pay more than the asking price for a ticket but I wouldn't ask for more myself (unless I paid more for it in the first place).

Captain Trips
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Like me there are good honest Hibs fans struggling to get tickets. Yeah it is good to make money on stuff but for me if I was lucky enough to get a spare it would be sold at what I paid for it.

Capt Mainwaring
07-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I've no real problem with selling tickets for a profit in general - you will not normally have any connection to the purchaser. I do have a big issue with profiteering from fellow Hibs fans when we know there are folks out there who will struggle to be a ticket for the final.

The Hibs family and all that :wink:

monktonharp
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Hibby to Hibby...... face value plus booking fee etc.
I hate to make money off of a fellow hibby for a game.correct. hang the barsteward that tries otherwise

The_Todd
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
It's immoral.

Faith No More were playing at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange 3 years back, I was on Ticketmaster trying to get tickets at the EXACT minute they went on sale. Even then it was sold out within seconds and I missed out - within 10 minutes they were on eBay at a vastly inflated and unaffordable price and it made me so angry that people who had no intention of going to said concert hoovered up ALL the tickets in order to make a quick buck.

Touts should be shot.

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Ticket touting in general - I don't like it, but I understand why it happens, supply and demand and all that.

For the Cup Final - the vast majority of people who've got hold of tickets will be, at least nominally, Hibbies. They'll know that the people that they're taking silly money off of are Hibbies too, and to my mind that makes them total c****.

Planet Hibs
07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
If I'm buying 😱 and if I'm selling 😄👍