PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton

theonlywayisup
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
As someone who was too young to ever see Pat Stanton play for Hibs, how good was he?

Which player of recent years would you say was similar to Pat Stanton?

Any Pat Stanton stories to tell?

Greentinted
05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
As someone who was too young to ever see Pat Stanton play for Hibs, how good was he?

In a Hibs jersey, Sauzee would be the closest. The man was a sublime genius, almost balletic; poise, grace and skill tempered with steel.

thebakerboy
05-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Paddy was the best centre half I think I ever saw playing for Hibs but because he was just as good in midfield he hardly ever played centre half. Having said that he was one of the best centre midfield players I ever saw at Hibs as well. He just seemed to stroll through games without ever breaking sweat but he could stick a foot in if required as well. He could make a pass make a goal make a tackle score a goal. He would be my favourite Hibs player ever but The Baker Boy was my youthful hero so Paddy was just to young.

thebakerboy
05-05-2012, 07:07 PM
In a Hibs jersey, Sauzee would be the closest. The man was a sublime genius, almost balletic; poise, grace and skill tempered with steel.

Got to agree with that but away from Hibs in the modern era if you mixed Gerard of Liverpool with Xavi of Barcalona you might come close , I think he was that good.

Bostonhibby
05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Paddy was the best centre half I think I ever saw playing for Hibs but because he was just as good in midfield he hardly ever played centre half. Having said that he was one of the best centre midfield players I ever saw at Hibs as well. He just seemed to stroll through games without ever breaking sweat but he could stick a foot in if required as well. He could make a pass make a goal make a tackle score a goal. He would be my favourite Hibs player ever but The Baker Boy was my youthful hero so Paddy was just to young.

Everything he did in defence was effortless which actually gave him the time to be a midfielder when he wanted to be - he didn't realy have to with the tornadoes as we had a great midfield - and when things weren't going that well up front he could drift forward and score a goal - I remember being behind at PBS in the late 70's / early 80's in the pouring rain at night and he just seemed to grab the game by the neck, move forward and scored the equaliser - probably a better feeling than the 0-7 game TBH as that was a procession very early on.

Testimony to how good he was that when he was (arguably) past his best Jock Stein continued his earlier pursuits of him for an outstanding Celtc team, got him and played him regularly in that team.

Easily the best all round Hibs player I have seen.

Seveno
05-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Got to agree with that but away from Hibs in the modern era if you mixed Gerard of Liverpool with Xavi of Barcalona you might come close , I think he was that good.

I wouldn't disagree too much with that. If you want one word to describe him, then I would say 'Majestic'. :not worth

BoltonHibee
05-05-2012, 07:33 PM

I think that sums him up.

I know a lot of Celtic fans, similar age to myself, he is their favourite player.

The man was outstanding

Zander
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
When Tommy Docherty was the Scotland manager he made the statement 'Pat Stanton was better than Bobby Moore'.
Sums up how good Pat was.

Any younger supporter who wants to see how good Pat was just find a copy of the highlights of the 72 League Cup Final.
Never seen one player dominate a match as much as he did that day

iwasthere1972
05-05-2012, 07:49 PM
This good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

King Paddy
05-05-2012, 07:55 PM

He was probably the best all round player i ever saw play for Hibs. Kevin Thomson and Pat mcginley
were as near as you would get in the modern game. I would also state that when we won the leauge
cup v Celtic in 1973 he single handedly took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove Hibs
constantly towards the Celtic goal, totally dominated the midfield that wonderful day.
I remember after we had hammered the Huns 2-0 in a Scottish cup replay. the Evening news
back sports page said this about the King. STANTON LORD OF THE MIDFIELD. Says it all really.
When i was young and kicked a ball about i would try to emulate the master, after the Baker
boy he was my Hero.

FitbaFolkKen
05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
This good.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=BE

As good as Stinkahbell in Paris???think your link may be wrong :wink:

Biggie
05-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Difficult to say who Pat Stanton is like nowadays, as he simply controlled games in an age when the opposition was a tad tougher (dont forget Rangers won the euro cup winners cup, and celtic were getting to euro cup finals...and Pat stood tall with them, and as others have stated he controlled midfield in big games......Hibs would definitely win the scottish cup if we had pat stanton in our midfield...no question. (if pushed I'd say stevie gerrard in his heyday would be close)

iwasthere1972
05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
As good as Stinkahbell in Paris???think your link may be wrong :wink:

Think you could be right. Posted from mobile so not surprised. I'm going on the laptop.

Sorted.

LeithBoozy
05-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Any Pat Stanton stories to tell? IMHO, OK I'm a Hibby you will think that I'm biased. Pat at his peak was one of the best players I have ever seen. Better than most of the big name players in the English Premier league today, the only reason we kept him so long was because he was a true loyal Hibby. Today we could not have kept him for two minutes, they would have had to start the bidding at least 8 million, he was a player you felt privileged to have seen. :not worth

Golden Bear
05-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Pat Stanton was almost as good as John Blackley and maybe a wee bit more versatile.

:fishin:

FitbaFolkKen
05-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Think you could be right. Posted from mobile so not surprised. I'm going on the laptop.

Sorted.

Now I look like I post random nonsense lol

What the hell were you searching for on your mobile!!!! :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Pat Stanton was almost as good as John Blackley and maybe a wee bit more versatile.

:fishin:

But could he do this? :wink:

Golden Bear
05-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Sloop John B -------------- absolute legend !

:drunk:

thebakerboy
05-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Yes but nobody would have seen it , a bit like Latapy

iwasthere1972
05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Now I look like I post random nonsense lol

What the hell were you searching for on your mobile!!!! :rolleyes:

What did it come up with? I copied and pasted the link Hibs 2 Celtic 1 from Youtube on my mobile but I know from other posters on here that sometimes the link doesn't work.

Greentinted
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
What did it come up with? I copied and pasted the link Hibs 2 Celtic 1 from Youtube on my mobile but I know from other posters on here that sometimes the link doesn't work.

This felly?

BoltonHibee
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
When Tommy Docherty was the Scotland manager he made the statement 'Pat Stanton was better than Bobby Moore'.

Any younger supporter who wants to see how good Pat was just find a copy of the highlights of the 72 League Cup Final.

The Doc was right

The best EVER player I have EVER seen.

LeithBoozy
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Full of skill, great range of passing, Fierce shot either foot. Great anticipation and reading of a game, brilliant in the air in attack or defence. absolutely fearless in the tackle and yes if they wanted to mix it, he was a bit of an angelic faced assassin!!! :wink:

shagpile
05-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Pat Stanton won 16 caps for Scotland & captained the national side 3 times. In pretty much the same time span, John Grieg won 44 caps. We all know the reason behind that statistic.
And yet,Pat Stanton had more skill on the point of his cock than John Grieg had in his whole body. God i hate those hun *******s.

SteveG
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Watching the hibs as a boy in the seventies Pat was a geniuos.
He had everything and would excel in the modern game.
Closest I seen to Pat was Frank in terms of awareness and quality.he was my first footballing hero. Here's hoping we can all celebrate this great club with a win on the 19th.

Jonnyboy
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Spot on :agree:

A wonderful player and a lovely guy into the bargain.

I wish our current lot had even a quarter of Pat's footballing ability then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in and the cup win would be even more of a certainty :greengrin

IWasThere2016
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Pat Stanton is without question the best we will ever see play for the Hibs. He was brilliant. He is - and always will be - my hero. I feel genuinely sad for any Hibby who didn't see him play.

For the younger ones, he was as gifted as Sauzee, but with Scotty Broon's engine and an eternal love of the Hibs.

He is Mr Hibs. Our truest legend.

lapsedhibee
05-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Kevin Thomson

Please.

The Harp
05-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Pat simply oozed class. Never seen better in a Hibs shirt and never will. Hibees of my generation are fortunate to have seen a player of Pat's calibre display his skills at Easter Road.

Stantons Angel
05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
For the younger ones, he was as gifted as Sauzee, but with Scotty Broon's engine and an eternal love of the Hibs.

He is Mr Hibs. Our truest legend.[/QUOTE]

Never a truer word said!

The man was all the things people say about him and watching the wee video of the game always brings back so many memories of a man who led by example in a team of real football players! He was even likened to Beckenbaur of Germany.

My son once asked his dad if Pat Stanton was as good as mum makes him out to be His dad sat him down and put on a video of the 7-0 game and told my son to watch that and see how good the man was.

Sauzee is the only player who has been good enough to wear that no 4 jersey after him.

A TRUE legend and a REAL Hibs man!!!

ozhibs
05-05-2012, 11:19 PM

This sums up Pat Stanton perfectly, Sauzee is the only player to come close. If had not been for the SFA bias for old firm players he would have had a lot more caps John Greig could not lace his boots.

stu in nottingham
05-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Pat was as good as it can be. That's all you need to know, believe me.

zero-seven
05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Sir Patrick of Stanton.......IMPERIOUS

never bettered, best i have seen

monktonharp
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
the number 4 shirt should have been retired years ago.naebody will ever fill it like king Paddy.

Greentinted
06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Came across this video from the NLS Archive (1991).

A Tribute To Pat Stanton (http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8529)

An hour well spent.

BarneyBreslin
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM

An hour well spent.

I've got an original vhs of that very video. Quality viewing.

davey 2 good
06-05-2012, 06:53 AM
King pat Stanton was simply the best hibby to wear a hibs jersey I ever saw but my dad says he would not have got in the famous five one my wishes was to have seen them play the closest player I've seen at hibs was frank but pat had more pace and was fitter got stronger as the game went on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

killie-hibby
06-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Of all the Hibs players I have seen since 1956 he would be the person you would build the team around.Absolutely dependable and magnificent. Better than John Greig who gained significantly more than Pats 16 caps. Further comparison in the same era of David Hays 27 caps and Ronnie McKinnons 28 caps shows if you played two or three good games for the Bigot Twins you were a shoe in for a Scotland cap. Nothing changes.
I was at Fir Park in 1963 to see him play his first game for Hibs.

iain nolan
06-05-2012, 10:50 AM
100% right best hibs player i have seen a true legend:flag:
Pat Stanton is without question the best we will ever see play for the Hibs. He was brilliant. He is - and always will be - my hero. I feel genuinely sad for any Hibby who didn't see him play.

kaimendhibs
06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Pat Stanton is far and away my all time Hibernian Hero. I have never seen anyone better in a hibs jersey. After a particularly drab game at ER last season, pat was walking by the famous five and must have seen the disapointment on my coupon. Quick as a flash he says, Should never have sold Tortalono. Cheered me up no end

Baker9
06-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I had a Stanton 'biography' that disappeared a few years ago. I think it was called The Quiet Man. It tells a story of the Holy Cross team that Stanton, O'Rourke and others pulled together to play in the Edinburgh Schools league, after persuading the heedie (rugby playing school) to let them enter. I may not be remembering this accurately but I think they wore hand-me-down rugby strips. I am a year or two younger than him and played for the first year team at Ainslie Park. Our 'big' team were very good at the time and by the time they were due to play Holy Cross, word had got round that they were special with O'Rourke and Stanton taking on legendary status already.

An unusually large crowd (maybe 100+) turned up to watch the game. As I remember, it was either 5-3 or 5-2 to them with O'Rourke scoring a hat-trick and Stanton a standout controlling everything. I was a dedicated Hibby even then and rumours abounded about their connection with Hibs. I loved to see him play from then till he retired.

Like most on this site I have imagined buying the Hibs and my first act would be to get Pat Stanton on the board in whatever capacity he wanted. I cannot imagine that Pat would get on with Rod Petrie other than through his natural politeness (Pat’s, not Rod’s). Sorry Rod, you would have to go, and sincerest thanks for the stadium, the training facility and financial stability. Great job done.

Baker9
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM

An hour well spent.

I had a copy of that video and lost it around 10 years ago. Thanks for this link.

Baker9
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
King pat Stanton was simply the best hibby to wear a hibs jersey I ever saw but my dad says he would not have got in the famous five one my wishes was to have seen them play the closest player I've seen at hibs was frank but pat had more pace and was fitter got stronger as the game went on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He may not have got in the forward line but they would have played him somewhere. :agree:

Ray_
06-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Never a truer word said!

The man was all the things people say about him and watching the wee video of the game always brings back so many memories of a man who led by example in a team of real football players! He was even likened to Beckenbaur of Germany.

My son once asked his dad if Pat Stanton was as good as mum makes him out to be His dad sat him down and put on a video of the 7-0 game and told my son to watch that and see how good the man was.

Sauzee is the only player who has been good enough to wear that no 4 jersey after him.

A TRUE legend and a REAL Hibs man!!![/QUOTE]

As Pat was far too versatile to be compared to Bobby Moore, Beckenbaur was who he always reminded me of. For modern day footballers, he was a mixture of the best of Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure & Paul Gerrard

Bobo
06-05-2012, 12:29 PM
IMO Pat was ahead of his time for the Scottish game and could have easily played anywhere on the continent and fitted in seamlessly. He would have breezed German football and, as mentioned, his likeness to Beckenbaur was by no means tongue in cheek.

He should have received more international recognition than he did and should have collected more caps than McNeil and Gregg put together but, unfortunately, the Old Firm bias and corruption within Scottish football was just as prevalent in the 60's & 70's as it is today!

We'd be so much better off if we had anyone half as good as Pat in the current squad.

O'Rourke3
06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Like all the other older farts... you simply had to be there to see it. With 2 games a weekend being televised from 9, and at least one recorded in Glasgow - there isn't a whole lot of evidence about to prove it.

calmac12000
06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Just watching that You Tube clip, takes me back to an extremely wet Saturday afternoon in 1972 at Hampden. Getting olds a terrible thing right enough, but quite simply Pat Stanton was the best Hib's player I've ever seen, for callow youths think Gerad Piquet of Barcelona, only better and that's being totally honest.

--------
06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Everything he did in defence was effortless which actually gave him the time to be a midfielder when he wanted to be - he didn't realy have to with the tornadoes as we had a great midfield - and when things weren't going that well up front he could drift forward and score a goal - I remember being behind at PBS in the late 70's / early 80's in the pouring rain at night and he just seemed to grab the game by the neck, move forward and scored the equaliser - probably a better feeling than the 0-7 game TBH as that was a procession very early on.

Testimony to how good he was that when he was (arguably) past his best Jock Stein continued his earlier pursuits of him for an outstanding Celtc team, got him and played him regularly in that team.

Easily the best all round Hibs player I have seen.

I went with an old friend to see him play for Celtic against Hearts in the first League match of his first season at Parkhead.

Celtic's half-back line that day was Roy Aitken, Roddy MacDonald, and Paddy. Aitken and MacDonald were very raw and inexperienced - not a lot of brain between them, TBH. Paddy talked them through the game, sorted out the muddles and generally ran the whole Celtic defence. He was utterly majestic - never in trouble. He made footballers out of Aitken and MacDonald - and trust me, that was no mean feat. They were huddies.

At full-time the score IIRC was 3-0 to Celtic. Pady had hardly broken sweat and Hearts hadn't landed a punch on the Celtic goal. My mate Alec turned to me absolutely furious and said, "That idiot Turnbull's just sold the League Championship to Celtic for £5,000 and Jackie Mcnamara," - and then descended into language inappropriate to a family forum on the Lord's Day and not quite fitting for an elder of the Kirk, which he was. :wink:

And the rest of the season proved him absolutely right.

The following season, he was injured quite early on. With much the same team as had won the league the previous year, but without Stanton, Celtic didn't even get into the top 3. Sadly, that was the end of his career.

If Paddy had been Dutch, he would have been part of that great Dutch side that so nearly won the World Cup in 1974. He was a total footballer; he could play in any position on the park, and did, with IIRC the exception of goalkeeper. Peter Cormack or Arthur Duncan went into goal on the rare occasion Gordon Marshall or Jim Herriot was injured.

I know the respect and awe in which younger fans hold Franck sauzee, but without detracting one iota from Franck's deserved reputation, Pat Stanton was something else. To anyone who saw him, the Hibs #4 shirt is his and his alone and always.

--------
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM

OOOOOOOH YES! :devil:

--------
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
This good.

Golly, that brings back memories!

Right at the end you see him getting the players together and heading towards the NW corner of the ground. That was where the Hibs fans were congregated. The Police had refused permission for a lap of honour - the Celtic fans had been pelting the Army pipe band with pennies at half-time, and Strathclyde's finest tarred us with the same brush as the PIRA-loving Soapies - so the first thing Pat did was gather the team to come over to acknowledge the Hibs support. Once he got the Cup in his hands, he got them together again and came back with it down into that corner.

How casual was that wee lob into the box for Seamus's goal? :not worth

heretoday
06-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Lovely player to watch going forward. That long stride. Majestic as someone has said. He could mix it too when required.

--------
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQmqaCg5uQ&feature=related

Can someone please remind me - who was it scored that header for our opening goal? Gaun seenile.

N.Wales Hibby
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
He played with ease and style. Totally commanded the midfield. I was gutted when Hibs sold him to Celtic. IMHO the team was broken up to early and when Hibs sold Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon and brought in Joe Harper I stopped going to ER for a season.These where the day's.

jdships
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
For me his greatest asset was his ability to read a game - he was often two passes ahead , in thought , of anyone around him . He also had this great wayu with him of endearing himself to anyone he met away from football
I was a neighbour of his in Mountcastle in the early 1960's and he often used to kick around with the kids in the street on a Sunday morning. There was one lad about twelve who could do amazing things with a football and I have this lasting memory of Pat asking this boy to show him how to control the ball the way he did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .
Back to the question .
There have been many good midfielders who play/played well in a good team but Paddy had that little extra something which meant he could play well in a p..s poor team and often did !!.
Very difficult to compare with todays players as the game has changed so much tactically .
Was a pleasure to watch him and to know him .
:flag:

Ray_
06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQmqaCg5uQ&feature=related

Can someone please remind me - who was it scored that header for our opening goal? Gaun seenile.

Johnny Hazel.

IberianHibernian
06-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Absolutely fantastic player and I can`t really think of any player in Scotland at least who`s been near him since . I don`t remember him having a bad game but a few games stick out - against Leeds ( when tragically he missed in penalty shoot out ) where him and Billy Bremner dominated the match , his goal against Aberdeen at ER on Joe Baker`s return ( first goal Dons had conceded in about 15 matches ) and a New Year`s Derby at ER ( 1976 perhaps ) where we won 3v0 ( going on another 7v0 ) with 3 early goals and Paddy dominated the whole match . Depression round ER at League Cup match hours after Paddy`s departure had been announced was terrible ( always felt sorry for Jackie McNamara because he was a terriffic player for us but in early years was remembered as sub for Stanton ) . I always remember a friend of mine falling while rushing up stairs to see Paddy make a half time draw at a match about 10 years ago - it meant more to him to see Stanton than to see the Hibs team of that time which was a good one .

IberianHibernian
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Johnny Hazel.I was at this game , possibly the first time I went to Tynecastle . I remember sitting on the wall near the halfway line . I always remember Arthur Duncan`s winning goal as being at Gorgie End but have now seen video a couple of times and it looks like it was at school end ( where King Paddy got his very late equaliser in a league match a few years later on ) . Is it my memory or were there cameras in main stand ? I always remember cameras on halfway line in " Shed " at Tynecastle so I suppose it is my memory .

stanton_4
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
The first time I saw him in the flesh he was standing on the top deck of an open top bus going along St John's Road in Corstorphine holding aloft the league cup. The second time I saw him he banged in a hattrick at Easter Road. The third time he signed my autograph book when I was standing outside The Corrie in when Jimmy O'rourke took over as licensee and the last time he signed his book for me. I named my band after him and he signed the book To STANTON from Stanton.

He is simply the best player I have ever seen in a Hibs shirt. The fact he was only capped 16 times for his country is a tragedy especially when you consider how may caps John Greig accumulated. The man was (and still is) a class act. It was the worst day of my life as a Hibby when he was sold. I totally agree with the others who have said that Franck came closest to him in style, grace, leadership and footballing brains. We will never see a player of his quality at ER again, believe me. If he was at Hibs today we would never be able to hold on to him. In a world where Scott Parker is transferred for £6.2m I shudder to think how much Pat would be worth in todays market.

--------
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Johnny Hazel.

Thank you, Ray. I knew the guy from the shot but couldn't put a name to him. Good player, Johnny was - tough being around ER at that time trying to cement your place when there were so many others coming through.

That was a cracking goal from Arfur.

Jonnyboy
06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Thank you, Ray. I knew the guy from the shot but couldn't put a name to him.

Shoulda gone to Specsavers Doddie :greengrin The scorers are named, just under the film :greengrin

PS I know the feeling :wink:

1959 Hibby
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Certainly the best I've seen in my 40 years as a fan. In the days when the big clubs had giants (McNeil, Greig etc) everyone (not just Hibs fans) recognised that Paddy was right up there. It was a travesty that he got so few Scotland caps. I'll never forget the feeling of desolation at ER the night the word went round the old east terrace that he'd been sold to Celtic - or being one of 25,000 (including thousands of Celtic fans) who turned up for his testimonial. Nothing in the modern era (not even Sauzee) comes close.

Ray_
07-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Thank you, Ray. I knew the guy from the shot but couldn't put a name to him. Good player, Johnny was - tough being around ER at that time trying to cement your place when there were so many others coming through.

Yeah, he used to get some stick from the fans [there's something new :greengrin], but always tried his hardest. He was immense playing in the 1972 Scottish semi replay against der hun & sure he moved on to Morton after Hibs and then just faded away.

harry-hibee
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Pat Stanton won 16 caps for Scotland & captained the national side 3 times. In pretty much the same time span, John Grieg won 44 caps. We all know the reason behind that statistic.
And yet,Pat Stanton had more skill on the point of his cock than John Grieg had in his whole body. God i hate those hun *******s.

I went along to Ibrox one night in the 70s Rangers were playing some european team and the fans were in awe of the performance that John Grieg was having that evening saying that it was the best game he ever had. I was somewhat amazed and amused because for me it only equated to Pat Stanton having his uaual performance.

--------
07-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Shoulda gone to Specsavers Doddie :greengrin The scorers are named, just under the film :greengrin

PS I know the feeling :wink:

John, last week was the week from hell chez Doddie. I'm only just beginning to regain my customary tenuous grasp on reality now. I still have the headache and I don't feel well.

Gonnae be nice? :devil:

Last time I went to Specsavers they went off on a high-pressure sales pitch about laser eye surgery - more interested in stealing my money than in actually providing me with accurate and appropriate specs.

Not going back. :dummytit:

Besides, I can see well enough to see the Great Man himself winning the ball and starting the move that leads to Arfur's winning goal ....

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-05-2012, 03:46 PM
The references to Beckenbauer are interesting because I'm sure I read somewhere that the Kaiser himself once described Pat as the best sweeper in Europe.

Nuff said really.