PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line Technology

DrewDogg1875
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
As the title suggests... yay or nay? I'll opt for yes as an Andy Carroll style moment against them in our Cup Final would be too much to live with... Thoughts of the Hibs community please? (Apologies if this question has been posed before and I've missed it!)

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
The linesman got this spot on today, not needed IMO, we'd have nothing to discuss with all this fiddling with the laws of the game.

HH81
05-05-2012, 06:35 PM
The linesman got this spot on today, not needed IMO, we'd have nothing to discuss with all this fiddling with the laws of the game.

On live view it looked in to me. The replay I still think it crossed the line just.

I have only seen the ESPN angle though, maybe itv was different.

clerriehibs
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Not wanted IMO, regardless of whether the linesman was right or wrong today.

BUT - did the referee initially give it today? Play certainly seemed to stop without the ball going out (some chelsea player hoofed the ball vertically from in the 6yd box). Surely, if the ref did stop play at that point, there should have been a drop ball restart from inside the chelsea 6yd box?

Greentinted
05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
On live view it looked in to me. The replay I still think it crossed the line just.

I have only seen the ESPN angle though, maybe itv was different.

ITV pictures suggest the whole of the ball wasn't over the whole of the line. By the proverbial (or perhaps literal) bawhair.

And a big huge yes from me for goal-line technology. Accuracy and impartiality trumps pub arguments every time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Using the technology on ITV where they were able to show you an angle from above the bar, it looked in by a baw hair! Cannae blame the lino though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
At least we agree on bawhairs!

Greentinted
05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
At least we agree on bawhairs!

At my delicate stage in life, these margins are highly valued. :greengrin

s2hart
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
To me all the ball wasn't over the line, so correct call by the linesman, I just hope he doesn't get hounded by the English press like all the other officials when it's come to close calls, whether right or wrong!

Sas_The_Hibby
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM

:confused: It's not fiddling with the laws of the game, it's ensuring the laws are properly applied in the most critical situation of all, i.e. whether a goal's been scored or not.

All it needs is a goal line camera and an official reviewing the footage, not any of this stupid electronic beeps within a second stuff that FIFA seem hellbent on. The referee asks for a review - goal or not? - the other official gives his/her view, having watched the replay, and the goal is given or not. It works in rugby, it's still a human decision, it doesn't take long and it's much fairer than the current system.

Part/Time Supporter
05-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I'll say no, assuming that the technology will be used by twats like Andy Townsend. Umpteen replays and he still didn't have a clue.

DrewDogg1875
05-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Personally, I've always felt it never takes anything away from Wimbledon etc... almost adds to the excitement these days... I'd be sick as a parrot if Hibs were ever denied a lawful goal.

just_joe
05-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I personally think football wouldn't be the same without some controversy. Thats just me though.

SouthamptonHibs
05-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I wanted it to be a goal but it wasn't mate...

Sir David Gray
05-05-2012, 11:08 PM
The ball wasn't completely over the line so there would be no "Andy Carroll style" moment to live with in our cup final!

Fantastic call by the linesman and an outstanding save by Petr Cech.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I personally think football wouldn't be the same without some controversy. Thats just me though.

:agree:

Kenny1875
05-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't want it. There can still be controversy without goals which should count not being given.

JohnStephens91
06-05-2012, 02:25 AM
For me goal line technology would need to be universal, sure you may get it at Easter Road, but you're not going to get the technology at Shielfield Park for Berwick Rangers vs East Stirlingshire. The best thing about football is that everything is constant, whether you play Sunday league or in the World Cup final a decision still has to be reached by the referee. By introducing goal line technology you take that away and suddenly certain groups get preferential treatment.

Greentinted
06-05-2012, 02:59 AM
For me goal line technology would need to be universal, sure you may get it at Easter Road, but you're not going to get the technology at Shielfield Park for Berwick Rangers vs East Stirlingshire. The best thing about football is that everything is constant, whether you play Sunday league or in the World Cup final a decision still has to be reached by the referee. By introducing goal line technology you take that away and suddenly certain groups get preferential treatment.

It could be argued that very few Sunday League games have affiliated 'assistant referees' (in fact, things like goal nets aren't available at many of the lower echelons of the game), and slightly further up the chain there's no sign of bye-line assistants until UEFA tournaments. There are many differences at various levels as to make technology the next viable advancement at the higher levels, and in time, the installation of cost-effective goal-line cameras (and human observer) at all levels of the professional game. After all, you can get a reasonably decent CCTV package ootay Maplins for the cost of a couple of pairs of sw.a.n.ky fitba' boots.

bobbyhibs1983
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
h18 hsv Makes alot of good points and with them i d say no to goal line technology.

One other point i feel i d ask if say there is an incident did the ball cross the line/did not does the game stop and goes to a video ref?
Imagen the scene, you are chasing a game, 1 -0 down and the incident acours,Now our keeper has the ball in his hands and has a chance to pounts it /throws the ball out we have a 5 on 2 advantage here,(so we are attacking here) and the incident happens and well the play is stoped and the goaline ref delcares it a no goal.
Now the defending team has time to get players back and we have lost our 5 on 2 advantage.I know its a weird sernario but a worthwhile point i feel.

Holmesdale Hibs
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
They should definitely have it IMO.

Yesterday's 'goal' was too close for a referee/linesman to be 100% sure either way so it's difficult to say its an injustice, although it would be good to have a definitive answer.

It's more important we stop blatantly wrong decisions - goals given like Chelsea's in the FA cup semi and goals not given like Lampard's in the world cup and that Spurs goal at Old Tradford a while back. Now the tech ology is available, it makes sense that we should test it. If we weren't awarded a goal like Lampard's in the final, I'd be raging.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I suppose if the fans want it badly enough it'll come because that's who will pay for it.
Purchase,installation, maintenance, calibration.
If it was adopted there may have to be changes in the rules if it stopped working during a game. Abandon the game?

Still not convinced, appeal against the goal and request that the set up is checked for accuracy.

We should also be able to introduce diving technology where contact is measured. A computer simulation would calculate the probable outcome and if it differed then the player going down dived.

The goal line technology could even be used to ensure throw in were correct.

Offside decisions could also be included. the technology is there now.

Or

We could all go watvch two people play the game on the play station. that would cut costs.

Oh, Did I say no? No, don't fancy it.

Can you imagine we had it yesterday, they'd still be on the park now arguing goal or no goal? It looked in at first, then a great save. Even last night watching match of the day, the picture from above the crossbar to me looked in, but my mate said no. Leave things as they are, if we do we will still have interesting debates like this every week. :wink:

Jack
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
There's NO video in the proposed goal line technology.

Its a system similar to the anti theft things you see just inside store doorways.

The ball wholly crosses the line a signal, noise, goes off in the refs and ass refs earpieces.

No delays, no replays, no 3rd 4th or 5th referees reviewing anything.

Given the number of shops protected by the system I might suggest its relatively cheap to install and maintain too.

Jack
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Aye, so :-)

No goal yesterday.

Yes bring in goal line technology.

bobbyhibs1983
06-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Its a system similar to the anti theft things you see just inside store doorways.

The ball wholly crosses the line a signal, noise, goes off in the refs and ass refs earpieces.

Given the number of shops protected by the system I might suggest its relatively cheap to install and maintain too.

Ok thanx for explaining it to me jack:thumbsup:

I was thinking it ll be sometihng alone the lines of the rugby/tennis thing but hey what do i know.
I just hope if it is what you have discribed then they d be some sorta signal from the ref/linesman or whoever to indicate it being a goal, tohugh im sure this part of the set up of the whole goal line technology would be easy.So thanks again for explaining it to me

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2012, 10:30 AM

If it was like shop theft technology we would be better off without it, that stuff is unreliable and certainly doesn't require anything crossing a definitive line to activate it!

I was absolutely gutted yesterday that it wasn't given as a goal obviously, whether it was across the line or not I'm not sure either way so no complaints from me, sweet revenge for Chelsea over the Garcia CL goal I suppose.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM

:faf: If you go within 20 feet of those things in some shops, the claxons go off and there's flashing lights everywhere. :greengrin

Littlest Hobo
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
What is the point of goal line technology when it doesn't always work?

I've seen it happen in rugby, cricket and now football where it's inconclusive.

Leave it to the linesman and ref I say and get on with it.

Greentinted
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I take the point on the technology but it would have to be vastly different from the system you use as an example.
There are a number of false alarms due to shoppers passing the system inside shops with no intention of leaving the shop, It may be based on this but would have to be far more technical.

The trials already made used a ball which had a network of chips inside the ball which were picked up by a number of sensors on the goal line.
The benefit was that the signal was picked up regardless of players in the goalmouth. So the players were effectively rubbed out of the picture.
Bound to be cheap until it's required and ratified by FIFA.
Computer software and monitoring systems.

It would be good to have a season which concentrated on this issue and have the number of times it would have been useful in each league. the resulting table would indicate the true need and give an average cost per incident for each associations outlay.

A game that can be played on any piece of relatively flat ground as long as you have a ball.

:agree: While I remain in the pro camp, I agree with this approach, particularly the highlighted statement.

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
What is the point of goal line technology when it doesn't always work?

I've seen it happen in rugby, cricket and now football where it's inconclusive.

Leave it to the linesman and ref I say and get on with it.

It works perfectly well at Wimbledon so I don't see a problem with similar technology on a goal line. Rugby and cricket rely on cameras rather than goal line technology do they not? Certainly rugby uses video replays which sometimes are inconclusive due to bodies blocking the view of the ball. Goal line technology is completely different.

BroxburnHibee
06-05-2012, 11:10 AM
What yesterday proves, is it cant be conclusive.

In instances like this the referees would have to not allow the goal to be awarded.

That being said I would still be in favour of it being brought in.

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
What yesterday proves, is it cant be conclusive.

In instances like this the referees would have to not allow the goal to be awarded.

That being said I would still be in favour of it being brought in.

:confused: No it would have proved 100% if the ball had crossed the line! We're talking about technology being used not just video replays.

jonny
06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Anyone remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI

about 1:40 into the video. The ball goes in, hits the pole holding the net, rebounds out and then the defender, who realises its a goal picks it up and hands it back to the keeper. Ref walks away waving play on.
Classic.

Jack
06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
TBF guys I did say it was similar to the shopping thing as that's the best analogy I could think of. Chip in ball sensors around the goal.

I can't remember how accurate it was bit I thought when I saw it that it was so much better than we have just now, quick, accurate and its the ref, not someone in the stand, blowing the whistle.

Littlest Hobo
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
It works perfectly well at Wimbledon so I don't see a problem with similar technology on a goal line. Rugby and cricket rely on cameras rather than goal line technology do they not? Certainly rugby uses video replays which sometimes are inconclusive due to bodies blocking the view of the ball. Goal line technology is completely different.

Not according to the pundits in yesterday's cup final. It was inconclusive according to them. Just take the ref and linesman's honest opinion and get on with it. It's worked for hundreds of years after all.

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Not according to the pundits in yesterday's cup final. It was inconclusive according to them. Just take the ref and linesman's honest opinion and get on with it. It's worked for hundreds of years after all.

:confused: What was inconclusive? We're not talking about pundits or a video ref watching replays and giving their opinions here, we're talking about technology that proves wether or not the ball crosssed the line similar to hawkeye at Wimbledon

Holmesdale Hibs
06-05-2012, 09:19 PM
:confused: What was inconclusive? We're not talking about pundits or a video ref watching replays and giving their opinions here, we're talking about technology that proves wether or not the ball crosssed the line similar to hawkeye at Wimbledon

That was my understanding of it as well. The technology would remove all human judgement. It wouldn't be like NFL where the decision is based on videos. There is no reason not to trial it IMO.

Littlest Hobo
06-05-2012, 09:40 PM

We don't need it I tell you, we have managed to get by perfectly fine without it since football was invented. Why o' why do we need it now?

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
We don't need it I tell you, we have managed to get by perfectly fine without it since football was invented. Why o' why do we need it now?

In case you haven't noticed football has not stood still for the past 100 years. The advance in technology of boots,balls etc and the fact that footballers are now professional athletes who are paid millions of pounds and whose teams compete for millions of pounds means that the cost of human error from officials is a price too high to pay. And sorry to say that that technology advance has proved many many times that we haven't got by perfectly well at all. Out of interest do you still watch and old black and white crt tv or have you replaced it along with a new PC?

You're entitled to your opinion same as me if you don't agree with it fair enough I suppose.

Littlest Hobo
06-05-2012, 10:18 PM
In case you haven't noticed football has not stood still for the past 100 years. The advance in technology of boots,balls etc and the fact that footballers are now professional athletes who are paid millions of pounds and whose teams compete for millions of pounds means that the cost of human error from officials is a price too high to pay. And sorry to say that that technology advance has proved many many times that we haven't got by perfectly well at all. Out of interest do you still watch and old black and white crt tv or have you replaced it along with a new PC?

You're entitled to your opinion same as me if you don't agree with it fair enough I suppose.

I knew money was going to come into this at some point. I hope the goal line technology doesn't come in and yes I do still watch black and white films.

Keith_M
07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
If they'd had something like "shop theft technology" it would have been going off all day after detecting so many Scousers in the Stadium.

:wink:

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
If they'd had something like "shop theft technology" it would have been going off all day after detecting so many Scousers in the Stadium.

:wink:

:gun: Shops would be better off attaching a pound coin to garments and letting them walk out with that instead. Real shoplifters just laugh at door sensors. My experience comes from the right side of the law just in case you were wondering!

DrewDogg1875
19-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Hate to bring about a dead thread, but it seems relevant yet again.... Yay or nay? IMO, its time something was done, England v Ukraine SHOULD 100% be 1-1 atm & its not.

Dinkydoo
19-06-2012, 08:39 PM
The goal was offside anyway, so the video ref would have caught it.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Hate to bring about a dead thread, but it seems relevant yet again.... Yay or nay? IMO, its time something was done, England v Ukraine SHOULD 100% be 1-1 atm & its not.

Not for me, the goal against Germany might have got them right back into that game, the one tonight wouldn't have made any difference.

So for me they even themselves out over time. :wink:

Dinkydoo
19-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Yep, and we'd be saying, If we had offside technology it would still be 1 - 0

Beat me to it : )

DrewDogg1875
19-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Hmm... of course, to each his own, but the diddy 4th official would do well to have a meaningful part to play in a game. In Wimbledon-style hawkeye, I'd have it. Just my opinion though :)

danhibees1875
19-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Don't fancy it, prefer the debate and controversy surrounding the incidents. Plus, where would you draw the line on the use of technology? As said above, that goal would have stood and there would be shouts of 'it was offside'.

Dinkydoo
19-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Don't fancy it, prefer the debate and controversy surrounding the incidents. Plus, where would you draw the line on the use of technology? As said above, that goal would have stood and there would be shouts of 'it was offside'.

That is why goal line technology on its own is not the answer. It would take 10 seconds for a panel to have an 'iffy' decision replayed from the point where the initial pass was made to setup the move. A further 30 seconds to have a proper decision. Problem solved.

DrewDogg1875
19-06-2012, 09:14 PM

Perhaps hawk-eye could replace the linesman too?! ;) On a more serious note, you make a fair/valid point but rules are rules & there can't be much worse than having a legit goal chalked off...? It will happen to us at some point, in fact after Hanlon's effort v Dunfermline, we're due one... I just pray it's not in an important/tight game!

danhibees1875
19-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Perhaps hawk-eye could replace the linesman too?! ;) On a more serious note, you make a fair/valid point but rules are rules & there can't be much worse than having a legit goal chalked off...? It will happen to us at some point, in fact after Hanlon's effort v Dunfermline, we're due one... I just pray it's not in an important/tight game!

I agree rules are rules, but I don't think there is any sport that will ever have a game where every decision is called correctly.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I think it'd take part of the fun out of it if everything was called completely correctly all the time.

TrickyNicky
20-06-2012, 01:47 AM

Surely "Goal Line Technology" would only cover what happens in between the posts.
There would be no other use for any technology, it wouldn't be used very often at all but it's correct decision would make a hell of a difference.

Making mistakes on offsides, corners, tackles, hand-balls are all part of football and acceptable in my opinion but disallowing a valid goal is a harsh, harsh injustice in football terms,
maybe it's not about the scoring but the tantric experience of the build-up to the goal.

"The Kama Sutra Guide To Football, saying no to GLT" !:wink:

danhibees1875
20-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Surely "Goal Line Technology" would only cover what happens in between the posts.
There would be no other use for any technology, it wouldn't be used very often at all but it's correct decision would make a hell of a difference.

Making mistakes on offsides, corners, tackles, hand-balls are all part of football and acceptable in my opinion but disallowing a valid goal is a harsh, harsh injustice in football terms,
maybe it's not about the scoring but the tantric experience of the build-up to the goal.

"The Kama Sutra Guide To Football, saying no to GLT" !:wink:

I drifted slightly away from the thread's subject with my post and just talked about technology rather than GL specific technology. :greengrin

However, I'm afraid that I can't really see the difference in a goal not being allowed/wrongly being given due to an error of judgement regarding the ball crossing - or not - the line by a couple of inches and if the goal was not allowed/wrongly given through an error of judgement in one of the build-up plays you mention (offside, tackles, etc).

That was rather long-winded and un-punctuated; I'm hoping it still makes sense. :greengrin

Delboy4
20-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know why the by-line official stands on the same side of the goals as the linesman?

Now a bit of savvy would say that he is getting in the way for the linesman to make a call...Or is it just me!?

Blatter get to ******

Andy74
20-06-2012, 09:26 AM
They will surely get rid of the extra assistants now? None of them have added anything and the boy on the line failed miserably on this one.

TrickyNicky
20-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I drifted slightly away from the thread's subject with my post and just talked about technology rather than GL specific technology. :greengrin

However, I'm afraid that I can't really see the difference in a goal not being allowed/wrongly being given due to an error of judgement regarding the ball crossing - or not - the line by a couple of inches and if the goal was not allowed/wrongly given through an error of judgement in one of the build-up plays you mention (offside, tackles, etc).

That was rather long-winded and un-punctuated; I'm hoping it still makes sense. :greengrin

Each to their own mate and I too accept that there will be human error and that's part and parcel of football but I personally see some difference. :aok:

I think offsides are incredibly intricate at times as defenders and attackers are moving at pace in opposite directions, timing runs to perfection and the linesman is invariably running also, for me, there will always be errors and you hope it will even up in the end.

Tackles too eh, so subjective at times with the the pace of the game today, apart from the refs' extremely restricted view, the incredible ability of some players to milk a foul, commit professional fouls as well as diving and being general little cheats makes getting these decisions 100% correct, damn near impossible - this is also happening 300-400 times a match and to stop play even for a few would turn it into a farce.

I'd been thinking that a hawk-eye tennis beep on the posts may be all that's required, it would probably signal in the refs earpiece, allowing him to make a split decision on a 60-40 or 50-50 and we would probably never know whether he needed it or not to make the correct decision.

We may only see it required 4-5 times a season max and I can't see it making much of an impact in football unless it opens up the flood-gates for the whole thing ending up as video game and then I will wish I'd never opened my big trap!:greengrin

danhibees1875
20-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Each to their own mate and I too accept that there will be human error and that's part and parcel of football but I personally see some difference. :aok:

I think offsides are incredibly intricate at times as defenders and attackers are moving at pace in opposite directions, timing runs to perfection and the linesman is invariably running also, for me, there will always be errors and you hope it will even up in the end.

Tackles too eh, so subjective at times with the the pace of the game today, apart from the refs' extremely restricted view, the incredible ability of some players to milk a foul, commit professional fouls as well as diving and being general little cheats makes getting these decisions 100% correct, damn near impossible - this is also happening 300-400 times a match and to stop play even for a few would turn it into a farce.

I'd been thinking that a hawk-eye tennis beep on the posts may be all that's required, it would probably signal in the refs earpiece, allowing him to make a split decision on a 60-40 or 50-50 and we would probably never know whether he needed it or not to make the correct decision.

We may only see it required 4-5 times a season max and I can't see it making much of an impact in football unless it opens up the flood-gates for the whole thing ending up as video game and then I will wish I'd never opened my big trap!:greengrin

I agree offsides can be very difficult to call even if you're in line with it just in the very nature of having to look at where the ball has been played from and where it's going to at the exact same time makes it very difficult to judge. But it's just as black and white as the ball crossing the line.

Tackles I agree are far too subject and no amount of technology would be able to get all the decisions right so there is no point touching it.

Opinions eh, ach well it's no our job to decide at the end of the day anyway. :greengrin

As a side note, I don't understand why the 5th and 6th officials don't at least try to make it look like they're there for a reason; they could point towards the corner/goal-kick line at the same time as referee's do; it wouldn't make them any less useless but at least their non-existance wouldn't be as noted.

--------
20-06-2012, 01:08 PM

You aren't channelling Sir Humphrey Applebey by any chance? :cool2:

dangermouse
20-06-2012, 01:40 PM
As I understand it "goal line technology" whould rule whether the ball was in or out of play for the whole pitch so it would apply to throw-ins and corners/goal-kicks.

danhibees1875
20-06-2012, 01:49 PM
You aren't channelling Sir Humphrey Applebey by any chance? :cool2:

I'm afraid I had no idea who that was, a swift googling later and having read his about 'characteristics' and a couple minutes of fun on youtube I'd have to say... not deliberatly. :greengrin

Eyrie
20-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know why the by-line official stands on the same side of the goals as the linesman?

Now a bit of savvy would say that he is getting in the way for the linesman to make a call...Or is it just me!?

Blatter get to ******
Pretty certain that they stood on the opposite (and logical) side of the goals in the first season that extra officials were used, but were then moved to the same side for the next season. Gods know why though.

DrewDogg1875
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread (its the only one I have ever started!) but surely there'll be some further opinions out there that can be added to this debate following the farce of a decision made after Leigh's freekick?

Technology NOW please!!!

(admins, feel free to merge if there are already similar threads on the go!)

Jack Hackett
10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread (its the only one I have ever started!) but surely there'll be some further opinions out there that can be added to this debate following the farce of a decision made after Leigh's freekick?

Technology NOW please!!!

(admins, feel free to merge if there are already similar threads on the go!)

If I remember correctly, there was an article some time in the last couple of weeks that claimed Scotland was too poor to implement goal line technology anyway, even were it available....

.....We can however, afford to give Neil Dungcaster a 16% pay rise

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
If Scotland is too poor to afford goal line technology, surely we can at least afford three pairs of specs?

Two points lost at Tannadice and two more today due to official incompetence.

Hibby Bairn
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Who needs technology? Just go to 4th official who gets to look at a tv replay and makes decision. Same goes for pens etc. Not difficult and could start immediately for all televised games.

jamesjamieson
10-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Just in case you haven't seen it. 4th official or goal line technology would be fine - the status quo is not acceptable. Thankfully the English Premiership are doing something about it so we'll get the technology eventually.
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ay_105597300-e1362929889716.jpg?w=650#038;h=790

Sir David Gray
10-03-2013, 07:01 PM
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ay_105597300-e1362929889716.jpg?w=650#038;h=790

Really don't want to keep seeing reminders of this.

It's absolutely sickening.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 07:06 PM
We can talk about this all night, but in reality we should not have needed it in this instance. This was nothing like the Tottenham goal at old trafford, the ref and linesman were both in decent positions to see this. Sheer incompetence, both should be demoted immediately. :rolleyes:

DaveF
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Just in case you haven't seen it. 4th official or goal line technology would be fine - the status quo is not acceptable. Thankfully the English Premiership are doing something about it so we'll get the technology eventually.

Why do SKY bother to have a '?' in their caption! It's an open and shut case!

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Why do SKY bother to have a '?' in their caption! It's an open and shut case!

Because the officials didn't give it, and because anyone looking at the pic and caption would think "why the bleep wasn't it given?"

Emerald
10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
We can talk about this all night, but in reality we should not have needed it in this instance. This was nothing like the Tottenham goal at old trafford, the ref and linesman were both in decent positions to see this. Sheer incompetence, both should be demoted immediately. :rolleyes:

CORRECT, from my seat at the half way line in the East, even with my not so great eyesight, in real time I saw the ball bounce behind the line. This one is not even close to needing goal line technology, what is to be measured when the ball is four foot over the line. You have two officials nearer than me getting paid to watch for these kind of things FFS. :grr::grr::grr:

From the BBC coverage of us and the decisions against us in the last couple of seasons, I'm wondering what we've done to upset the "institution"? :confused:

LeighLoyal
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM
had a good day in the hospitality in the west but xxxx me... that just adds to the cup final scunnering! Somebody up there wants locke as JT manager.

YehButNoBut
10-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Evert time I look at it it just gets worse, how could they not spot it.

They do not need goal line technology just an official in the stand watching the replay as they do in cricket & rugby. :agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a-uURq0gNuY

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Camera on sportscene from pitch height blows the ground level argument out the water.

Glorious
10-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Who needs technology? Just go to 4th official who gets to look at a tv replay and makes decision. Same goes for pens etc. Not difficult and could start immediately for all televised games.

Exactly. 10 seconds delay to review big decisions like this is all it takes (no longer than it takes a goal scorer to run around like a dafty celebrating).

No expensive goal line technology required. But that would make too much sense.

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I really don't understand the whole issue about goal line technology being too expensive.

How hard is it just to rewind the video back and get somebody to conform whether the ball was over the line or not? :confused:

It's hardly technically advanced stuff.

Hibee Ryan
10-03-2013, 11:02 PM

:top marks:top marks:top marks

Would also give them something to do as they do diddly squat for a decent wage

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I really don't understand the whole issue about goal line technology being too expensive.

How hard is it just to rewind the video back and get somebody to conform whether the ball was over the line or not? :confused:

When it's as obvious as today's your question makes total sense but unfortunately it won't always be as obvious, hence the need for expensive kit.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that before Leigh had even taken the corner I'd had a text telling me the ball was well over the line. It was that quick but as I say it was really obvious :agree:

Scottie
10-03-2013, 11:08 PM

Time we took a leaf out of rugby union video ref

Simply GOAL or NO GOAL (By the time the play starts in real time the decision would be there.NO debate)

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
When it's as obvious as today's your question makes total sense but unfortunately it won't always be as obvious, hence the need for expensive kit.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that before Leigh had even taken the corner I'd had a text telling me the ball was well over the line. It was that quick but as I say it was really obvious :agree:

Would it be that much more expensive just to have a couple of more camera men at the game who could simply stand at the goal line at each end?

I'm not convinced that state of the art technology is required and believe its just an excuse to use "lack of money" as a reason for putting it off time and time again.

Saorsa
10-03-2013, 11:11 PM

It's hardly technically advanced stuff.Goal line tech would be good in some cases but officials with a ****in' pair of eyes would be a good start. I was half the length of the park away and saw that was a ****in' goal. Were that ***** eyes ****in' painted on?

Ozyhibby
10-03-2013, 11:12 PM
When you look at the state of Aberdeen's pitch on Sportscene it's clear that our teams can't afford to maintain the stadiums as they are now.
No chance they can afford £250k each for goal line technology.
A video ref is the most affordable solution for Scotland.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Would it be that much more expensive just to have a couple of more camera men at the game who could simply stand at the goal line at each end?

I'm not convinced that state of the art technology is required and believe its just an excuse to use "lack of money" as a reason for putting it off time and time again.

I see what you're saying but I fear that cheap option would be the equivalent of having two further assistant refs, one beside each goal doing absolutely eff all :greengrin

Saorsa
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM
I see what you're saying but I fear that cheap option would be the equivalent of having two further assistant refs, one beside each goal doing absolutely eff all :greengrinwith a good eye each? :dunno:

Scottie
10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I see what you're saying but I fear that cheap option would be the equivalent of having two further assistant refs, one beside each goal doing absolutely eff all :greengrin

It works perfectly well in international and club rugby so why not for Scottish football?

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
It works perfectly well in international and club rugby so why not for Scottish football?

Hey I aint knocking the idea :greengrin

iwasthere1972
10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Or get the supporters (whose team have scored or not scored) to hold up the "Goal" or "No Goal" card which can be found under their seat.

Simples.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Or get the supporters (whose team have scored or not scored) to hold up the "Goal" or "No Goal" card which can be found under their seat.

Simples.

Let them press a wee button to display a red light. Works in ice hockey where the puck is travelling about fifty times faster than any ball :greengrin

AugustaHibs
10-03-2013, 11:26 PM

Simples.

so, everygame finishes 23-21? also makes football more entertaining, bingo. :wink:

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 11:34 PM

Simples.

Could be like "ask the audience" from who wants to be a millionaire.

Wee percenage poll in the corner of the screen. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
10-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Could be like "ask the audience" from who wants to be a millionaire.

Wee percenage poll in the corner of the screen. :greengrin

:agree: Be more entertaining than the football.

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 11:45 PM
:agree: Be more entertaining that the football.

:agree:

Especially with the poll music in the back ground playing while everybody votes.

It's ideas like these that will bring excitement back into the game. Take note association!

wee 162
11-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Cause rugby is slower than a weekend in St Leonards? And the usual in that is that when there might have been a try the play is stopped and it's one thing or another. Today the ball went out for a corner, Hearts could have went up the park and scored. Amusing as that would have been in todays instance for it to be pulled back and us to be 1-0 up instead, it would also likely provoke a riot. The ball can be in play for a good couple of minutes following any given incident, how far back do you go?

FWIW a boy in front of me the day had the picture of where the ball went within 30 seconds of the non awarding of it.

Today wasn't about technology imo, it was officials not doing their jobs. It wasn't a difficult decision. There wasn't loads of bodies in the way (of the linesman at least) the ball travelled about 40 yards before going in. And neither the linesman or ref seen the thing which is the fundamental reason for why they are on the park.

hibbytam
11-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Cause rugby is slower than a weekend in St Leonards? And the usual in that is that when there might have been a try the play is stopped and it's one thing or another. Today the ball went out for a corner, Hearts could have went up the park and scored. Amusing as that would have been in todays instance for it to be pulled back and us to be 1-0 up instead, it would also likely provoke a riot. The ball can be in play for a good couple of minutes following any given incident, how far back do you go?

FWIW a boy in front of me the day had the picture of where the ball went within 30 seconds of the non awarding of it.

Today wasn't about technology imo, it was officials not doing their jobs. It wasn't a difficult decision. There wasn't loads of bodies in the way (of the linesman at least) the ball travelled about 40 yards before going in. And neither the linesman or ref seen the thing which is the fundamental reason for why they are on the park.

I agree with the final statement, but I don't see why the fourth/extra official can't just be watching the tv feed, in communication with the ref through the mics they already have. Then he can signal, like the linesmen are supposed to do, and the ref can ask him for clarification. Simple, cheap, would only really require a tv monitor and possibly another official.

But today didn't need technology. Just competency.

Hibercelona
11-03-2013, 02:05 AM
I agree with the final statement, but I don't see why the fourth/extra official can't just be watching the tv feed, in communication with the ref through the mics they already have. Then he can signal, like the linesmen are supposed to do, and the ref can ask him for clarification. Simple, cheap, would only really require a tv monitor and possibly another official.

Exactly.

If the referee can stop open play at any time when a player stays down, then why can't he stop the game to award a goal if the forth official signals to him after reviewing the video evidence?

So what if Hearts got up to the other end of the pitch before play got stopped to award the goal. Justice would have been done.

Bristolhibby
11-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Exactly. 10 seconds delay to review big decisions like this is all it takes (no longer than it takes a goal scorer to run around like a dafty celebrating).

No expensive goal line technology required. But that would make too much sense.

They have it in rugby, so why the **** don't they have it in football.

Even Bath rugbys crappy ground has cameras.

J

Onion
11-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Griffith's non-goal was the highlight of discussion on national BBC Breakfast this morning !

They couldn't believe the officials did not see it and said it was just another decision by officials that has bailed Hearts out in recent derby games. :wink:

Jonnyboy
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Griffith's non-goal was the highlight of discussion on national BBC Breakfast this morning !

They couldn't believe the officials did not see it and said it was just another decision by officials that has bailed Hearts out in recent derby games. :wink:

Disappointingly 5 Live's sports team today decided to concentrate on the far more crucial matter of Fergie and Rafa not shaking hands. Mind, the non-goal didn't involve either of the OF so was clearly not worthy of mention

Scottie
11-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Disappointingly 5 Live's sports team today decided to concentrate on the far more crucial matter of Fergie and Rafa not shaking hands. Mind, the non-goal didn't involve either of the OF so was clearly not worthy of mention

Same on Talk Sport Jonny

Had it on most of the day and didn't hear anything about it.

No interested in Scottish football now there's only 1 team in Scotland seemingly :grr:

green glory
11-03-2013, 10:38 PM

This one camera angle is all it takes. Maybe a small weatherproof webcam on either side at this angle and at both ends of the pitch, and another one or 2 inside the goal, perhaps built into the crossbar looking down.

dangermouse
12-03-2013, 09:09 AM

The problem with having a "video ref" is that not all SPL games have the same TV coverage as Sunday's game. When we next play at home against ICT we will have one camera on the half way line and one behind one of the goals. Even on Sunday Sky could only afford a camera behind one of the goals!

Finbar
12-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Doesn't matter if they don't have technology at all the games but they have to start using it when it's available. It makes the officials look bad.

Saorsa
12-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Doesn't matter if they don't have technology at all the games but they have to start using it when it's available. It makes the officials look bad.I think they manage that very well all by themselves.

They are bad, ****in' rank rotten and they seem tae get worse by the year.

The_Sauz
12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Article from today's Glasgow Herald:

The introduction of goal-line technology would solve the problem but is beyond the means of Scottish clubs.
John Fleming, Scottish Football Association's head of referee operations, took the unusual step of issuing a statement yesterday after Griffiths' free-kick crossed the line against Hearts in the Edinburgh derby on Sunday but was not given as a goal to Hiberian. Euan Norris, the referee, and assistant referee, Raymond Whyte, failed to spot that the ball was over and the game ended goalless.
The incident followed a meeting in Edinburgh this month when Sepp Blatter, the FIFA president, confirmed at the International FA Board annual general meeting that goal-line technology will be used in time for the World Cup in Brazil next year.
Fleming, though, pointed out that the cost – believed to be as much as £300,000 per installation – made the system unattractive to Scottish clubs. He said: " That would make it prohibitive, I would suggest, for the respective league bodies in Scotland to consider rolling-out any time soon."
He pointed out that training over such goal-line incidents had been carried out at the Scottish FA referees training camp in La Manga earlier this year. "We actually give referees simulations and they have a split second to decide whether the ball is on the line or over the line. It is an essential part of their training but they are only human," said Fleming.

"In free-kick situations such as the one at the weekend there are three situations that a referee and his assistants must look out for: offside, management of defensive wall with regards to holding, handling and jostling, and the ball over the line.

"In probability terms, the first two occur more often than a contentious ball over the line decision. It is crucially important to get those calls right, of course, when the ball may or may not have crossed the line but there are far more instances of the other two."

He added of the incident on Sunday: "It doesn't matter whether it is five millimetres in or five yards in: if it has crossed the line it is a goal. In that regard, I can sympathise with Hibernian and Pat Fenlon."

So those clowns have been training for this, and they still get it wrong........Just gets better & better!

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 09:47 PM
The argument that we cant afford it is just tosh, just use it in televised games then until we can.